doa5u impressions thread

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
i was told this as well, but never saw it happen. they are allowing high counter neutral throws to be broken again though.

Omegan Eckhart

Why is nobody talking about system changes? I'm all for character updates but is there any info on changes to the game itself?

For example:
  • Launch Height
  • Stun Game
  • Critical Burst
  • Holds
  • Side Stepping
  • Sit Down Stuns

TakedaZX

She hasn't gotten fantastic buff's to compensate. She got 2 new unsafe ways to get into BT, one new sit down stun which guarantees? and some new bind state attacks, which every character has gotten.

She still has slow pokes, is very unsafe, has extremely limited access to frame advantage against blocking opponents, no ranged tools, garbage +13/+15 sit down stuns and no real safe way into BKO.

I'm not saying she is she bad by any means but don't make it sound like her buff's are on par with her nerf's. With no FT game she has no way of gaining frame advantage at all now. That +4 was the only way for a striker who moves like a grappler to get the first hit in, especially seeing as P+K doesn't even begin crushing till about i18.

I'm glad she is less BS but I would have liked some more + frame moves, some real safe strings and transitions into BKO that couldn't be punished by 2P. But we will see what tech she has when the game is out.
Look Omegan, I have no beef with you but if there's one thing I hate, it's the complete downplaying of Helena.

Lets make something clear, that forced tech is not only +4, and if at any point it is, it's that certain setup because I've done my research breaking it down and I've had moves counter blow my jab after TECHING the BKO 6P that were much more than 14i.

More importantly, she is not slow. 11i for a jab is below average but she has a complete high crushing stance so against someone like Mila (10i, 12i, 14i)... you say ok but she's still not that fast on mids. She rocks a 12i mid punch from EVERY stance. (3P, BKO 6P, BT 4P) and I don't remember the speed of BT P but it's probably 11i meaning she's always got an 11i jab, even from BKO (1.03 brought this).

For lows, she clocks in 14i at for 2p and tracking 17i low punches ain't bad.especially since the 1pp trip stun guarantees the low kick follow up. This chick is no slow, and for what its worth, not dealing with jabs at the beginning can change the game up for a low of average speed characters (Hayate, Mila, Kororo, Leifang), and this is before we talk about her mix-ups and grabs from every stance... but yea she ain't slow. If she's slow, Mila and the other three I mentioned are also slow.

I'd give you unsafety too, but a lot of the time the amount of mix-up makes you wonder if you really want to go for a risk at hi-counter in the middle of a string...

Last edited:

Omegan Eckhart

I never said she is bad, not once. I'm saying if her FT is gone gaining bind states which every character is getting and one new SDS will not make her great again. Remember that her FT garbage is what dragged her out of shit tier.

I wasn't giving a full run down of her I was listing weaknesses that she has as a character which they could have buffed in exchanged for nerfing the crap out of her FT, which I welcome.

Without her FT she is just an average character with moderate speed, moderate damage and awful guaranteed set ups.

I'll say it again, I don't think she is shit, but I do not agree that gaining access to bind state attacks like every other character is getting makes up for losing her FT game. It would take a lot more than that to keep her as potent as she is now.

BT jab is i12.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Why is nobody talking about system changes? I'm all for character updates but is there any info on changes to the game itself?

For example:
  • Launch Height
  • Stun Game
  • Critical Burst
  • Holds
  • Side Stepping
  • Sit Down Stuns

Most of them are found through character changes.

Even then, something to keep in mind is that this is Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate. So I wouldn't expect that much difference for the system mechanics than vanilla.

To answer your question though:
Launch Height - couldn't tell and is up to the rebalanced character toolset. Gen Fu had some smaller launch heights than he did in vanilla, but he also gained some launch heights from vanilla.
Stun Game - It's the same threshold.
Critical Burst - Same as DOA5, what would you expect different?
Holds - The low hold still seems like it could be abusable but the added recovery frames were notice-able.
Side Stepping - Difficult to tell, but seems like the same as vanilla.
Sit Down Stuns - they still sit down? You can still stagger escape them.

Aven Kujo-Gin

Too bad that Mila and Leon doesn´t have anything in Tag(no intro/win pose and no tag team attacks) I was expected something at least..

TakedaZX

I never said she is bad, not once. I'm saying if her FT is gone gaining bind states which every character is getting and one new SDS will not make her great again. Remember that her FT garbage is what dragged her out of shit tier.

I wasn't giving a full run down of her I was listing weaknesses that she has as a character which they could have buffed in exchanged for nerfing the crap out of her FT, which I welcome.

Without her FT she is just an average character with moderate speed, moderate damage and awful guaranteed set ups.

I'll say it again, I don't think she is shit, but I do not agree that gaining access to bind state attacks like every other character is getting makes up for losing her FT game. It would take a lot more than that to keep her as potent as she is now.

BT jab is i12.
Then don't compare her speed to a grappler, that's a major over exaggeration, especially since the only thing that slow is really her jab, which once again, she doesn't even have to deal with jabs at the beginning of a fight... or mids if that's an issue.

I hear you though, that you're saying that you aren't saying she's ass but... wording it how you did kind of makes it seem like your counteracting your own statements.

But anyway... on subject, I was surprised that at this point wake up kicks are still the way they are... I thought they might work some oki type stuff into the game at this point. Like aside from damage with the down attacks, [pressure]

Also I'm wondering about the crush system, like whether it's been worked out or not since apparently falling on someone's leg is enough to screw up many people's moves.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Also I'm wondering about the crush system, like whether it's been worked out or not since apparently falling on someone's leg is enough to screw up many people's moves.
It's worse than than. I'll be a good 1.5 meters off the ground completely and get swept out by a low kick. Shit's madness.

Lisa has the most reliable low crushes of the characters I use, for sure. But even then...

Omegan Eckhart

Most of them are found through character changes.

Even then, something to keep in mind is that this is Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate. So I wouldn't expect that much difference for the system mechanics than vanilla.

To answer your question though:
Launch Height - couldn't tell and is up to the rebalanced character toolset. Gen Fu had some smaller launch heights than he did in vanilla, but he also gained some launch heights from vanilla.
Stun Game - It's the same threshold.
Critical Burst - Same as DOA5, what would you expect different?
Holds - The low hold still seems like it could be abusable but the added recovery frames were notice-able.
Side Stepping - Difficult to tell, but seems like the same as vanilla.
Sit Down Stuns - they still sit down? You can still stagger escape them.
That's a shame. There were rumours of better launch height and requiring less hits to land CB.

So this is just DOA5 with some bind state thing and a re balance?

TakedaZX

It's worse than than. I'll be a good 1.5 meters off the ground completely and get swept out by a low kick. Shit's madness.

Lisa has the most reliable low crushes of the characters I use, for sure. But even then...
Yea when I picked her up, I loved crushing with 9K.. but yea you're right, even then it's kinda whack.

synce

Hate to be grammar police but it's not bind, it's bound (as in rebound/bounce)

Some characters will benefit more from bounds than others, just look at TT2. Not everyone can get huge juggles by themselves

About oki, I think FTs fall into the category but obviously TN is further moving away from that with 5U

ninjaguy446

Um, am I the only one who thinks Helena got better? I mean, sure she lost her PFTs but only off of 6P. She can still FT off of BKO 2K and BT 66K. Plus, 66P now stuns on hit so it's kind of like Kokoro's 66P. She also has new relaunch possibilities and entries into both of her stances. I think we should just be happy that Helena wasn't raped by the nerf hammer due to the backlash she got.

DR2K

Um, am I the only one who thinks Helena got better? I mean, sure she lost her PFTs but only off of 6P. She can still FT off of BKO 2K and BT 66K. Plus, 66P now stuns on hit so it's kind of like Kokoro's 66P. She also has new relaunch possibilities and entries into both of her stances. I think we should just be happy that Helena wasn't raped by the nerf hammer due to the backlash she got.

Without looking at frame data and safety she has a much stronger neutral game, but everyone got nerfed FT wise system wise. I think she'll be better, but the Helena player will have to completely change how they approach the character.

Brute

Standard Donor
There are few things "better" than her old blender, but if you mean "Better" in the sense of a more legit, well-rounded character than yes, I think her changes open great new options without using the FT as a crutch.

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
LOL I WISH H+K was -5 , no that thing is -14 always has been throw punishable
3PP, is a string so I'm going to assume you mean 33P causes bound instead of sit down. I have no clue what that will even do , it just removes Gen fu's super easy access to guaranteed damage VIA CB, it even changes his ceiling combos. Sit down 33P WAS Gen Fu for the most part. So I can see how he's been nerfed Thanks TN.
Oh well , he'll probably have something stupid to abuse, it's cool. I was getting bored of 33P to crush most of the casts moves into delayed cb / grab mix up to be boring anyway. (a mid that crushes mids , lolo)
Yeah I saw the Launch height off Hold 3P was lowered a lot, I have no clue why though , I mean it's so low you can hardly get his normal juggle off.
Time to relearn Fu, if he's really not viable anymore after some lab time then idk what TN did, old men are supposed to be good in games ._. that's why they're there. We got Shun, Chin , Gen , and Gen Fu.
He never had a guaranteed cb once they fixed the stagger glitch. You could slow escape and hold. The big deal about 3pp being unsafe again is before I could throw that out and do 3p again after to crush most moves. Cant anymore. Also h+k appears to launch higher so we'll so what he can do in a few weeks

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD