DOA5U - Juggling and you

d3v

"Launch" in the FGC is just the word used to describe a state where your opponent can't make any retaliations what so ever. Whether it's politically correct or not isn't really the situation... if that's your issue Brute.

There's nothing wrong with a ground bounce launch or a pick up off of a hard knocking down bound.
That's "hitstun," not "launch."

TakedaZX

That's "hitstun," not "launch."
Heh, in Tekken, a "hit stun" would be the "Ju punch" from Lars... yet they call it a launcher still. It does the same thing. You juggle after it. It's not that big of deal anyway...

d3v

Heh, in Tekken, a "hit stun" would be the "Ju punch" from Lars... yet they call it a launcher still. It does the same thing. You juggle after it. It's not that big of deal anyway...
No. in Fighting Games, getting hit by anything puts you in "hitstun" where you can't do anything (save the occasional option such as bursts, holds, combo-breakers) and the opponent can continue on hitting you.

TakedaZX

No. in Fighting Games, getting hit by anything puts you in "hitstun" where you can't do anything (save the occasional option such as bursts, holds, combo-breakers) and the opponent can continue on hitting you.
Like I said, it's how I learned it. These were top players/high leveled players giving out this info. You wanna call it a hit stun... talk to them, chances are it once again isn't a really big deal.

More importantly these launchers hold a juggle state after the fact that lifts the opponent off their feet to where they literally cannot do anything...

d3v

Like I said, it's how I learned it. These were top players/high leveled players giving out this info. You wanna call it a hit stun... talk to them, chances are it once again isn't a really big deal.
It's what the FGC calls it. I mean even the developers call it that (and even have mechanics such as hit stun decay and hit stun proration named after it).

TakedaZX

It's what the FGC calls it. I mean even the developers call it that (and even have mechanics such as hit stun decay and hit stun proration named after it).
Like I said, it's how I learned it. These were top players/high leveled players giving out this info
Anyway, other than trying to prove something else, why don't you give me your opinion on the ideas of improving the juggle system or rather bring it back to where it was in DOA4/D.

d3v

Anyway, other than trying to prove something else, why don't you give me your opinion on the ideas of improving the juggle system or rather bring it back to where it was in DOA4/D.
I'd take a cue from Marvel and instead tie holds out of stun to launches, in the way TACs bursts can only be done from TACs. More precisely, I'd make it so that you can only hold out of a combo when in max critical state. Then make it so that every hit on the ground fills up critical state. What happens now is that you have a different mind game going on. Instead of trying to mash hold out as soon as possible before you get launched, you're now waiting for critical state to turn red and thinking about how to respond - is your opponent going to launch, will they try to bound, will the go for something that causes stagger instead. This also makes hold baiting a bit more cerebral - closer somewhat to the burst bait game in 2D fighters. Of course, this will also require a few extra tweaks, adding more moves that launch from max critical state, maybe make non launchers unholdable, etc.

TakedaZX

Strange idea. Isee your point though, but the only thd quantity of holds to be the real problem as much as the quality of the hold itself, specifically the low hold, which while slower in 5, still allowed for situations that could flip the states simply from randomly mashing it out.

If I follow correctly, your idea limits the hold in stun to one chance in the whole stun game which means that stun to launch combos would become guaranteed, right? (I'll probably reread your post again just to be sure) If this is correct, then you'll probably understand why I see that as a problem... because at that point it becomes "all is fair game in the stun game", and you should be given a good reward for catching someone in a stun, but this is a little too good for the offender in a game like DOA... but once again I'll correct this (later) if I read it wrong, I'm typing from my ps3 so it's a hassle

d3v

Yes, in my idea, there's generally only one chance to hold out of stun (you can still hold when in neutral though). This means the game flows more or less like a traditional fighting game.

TakedaZX

Anyway I'm at a computer now. The deal isn't about holds in this topic (left that out of my last post) its about the juggles, which we've actually found that the gravity in the game has been increased so that means even less juggles are available in this game.

The problem is that the hold game at that point is harder than any other guessing game at a "burst" could open up for because in something like p4a the idea is "will he burst vs will he not burst" while the other is "will he go for this next hit or will he back off in hopes of baiting. For DOA it's "Will he go high launch, mid p launch, mid k launch, throw, or cover himself with an high offensive hold, or with a low offensive hold" vs "will he hold standing (high/mid/low), or hold crouching (low), attack standing out of stun, attack crouching out of stun, throw standing out of stun, or throw crouching out of stun".

This isn't some 50/50 situation like the ones you're comparing it to, though if you want to explain how the burst would have some deeper 50/50 than just "Is he baiting the burst or not?", I'm definitely listening...

But once again were talking juggles.

To everyone else: How do you guys feel about the increase in juggle gravity as a whole to the game?

Brute

Standard Donor
To everyone else: How do you guys feel about the increase in juggle gravity as a whole to the game?
I've had no issues with DOA5's gravity, beyond the fact that I simply hate the concept of the stun threshold and that there are simply too many different weight classes. In general you get good damage off of launches as long as you know your character and their juggle options well.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD