DoA6 impressions: first week

Akumasama

After hundreds more of fights I think I defined what my "vague" problem with damage is, the one I mentioned on first page.
I think that damage and health bars are perfectly fine the way they are now.

What is not fine, and absolutely needs to be fixed in the long run, is the scaling of damage.
Hi-Counters give a damage boost that is bigger than it should.
Damage scaling with combo is not good enough, especially with combos that involve environment.

Having a single error, just one, lead you inescapably unto receiving > 75% damage is not fun. There is no comeback from that. It's not satisfying when you're the one who deals the damage, it's terribly frustrating when you're the one who receives it.
You don't feel "in control", there's nothing you can do and, basically, it's not fun.

I really hope they will realize this and "fix" it with the first patch. It doesn't really need some major overhaul, just minor tweaks to the values would be enough.

Last edited:

Raansu

You can escape from practically damn near every scenario. The damage is exactly where it should be.

Raansu

No the ones I'm talking about are completely unescapable, Raansu. Some are escapable with Break Hold.

Which makes them escapable....The odds of you getting hit with those setups and not have 50% meter is going to be super rare.

Raansu

Only some of them are escapable with Break Holds, and they're still unescapable if you don't have meter. And no, it's not super rare at all in my experience ;-)

I can burn my meter and have 50% again within seconds....Getting caught in a fatal stun setup where you can't get out of is going to be rare unless you're just getting blasted.

Akumasama

But that's the point, it's exactely what I'm talking about.
Because of the lack of enough damage scaling on environment combos (and hi-counter stuff) a single error can lead to insane amount of health taken, there's no come back from that even if you survive.

It's gonna be fun for a while, then it's gonna kill the user base because of frustration, pretty confident on this.
Personally I don't like when this happens on either side of the fence. There is no sense of accomplishment when you pull it off, and a somewhat heavy sense of frustration (because of lack of "control") when you receive it.
All of this for what, exactely? Faster rounds? Bigger sense of risk/punishment? Not sure it's gonna be worth it in the end, honestly.
Think you lose more than you gain, with this approach.

Raansu

I've not once been hit with a big ass BB cancel setup. I always have meter available. There's nothing wrong with the high damage in this game. Its the only damn redeeming factor of the game to make up for the fact you can counter out of damn near everything.

Rubedood

After playing a bit here and there, for the last week, it's ok. Biggest complaint is how fast players build meter, since it makes break holds too available. Meter gain should be nerfed a bit.

I really dont know why they included holds from wall hits, since they're are some that you can hold from and some not, which is confusing. I prefer it to be like DOA5.

Not having to play the stun game to get a decent combo is a godsend. Makes playing my char less frustrating. Also makes more hold out of stun situations sting a little less.

Reactions: d3v

Raansu

After playing a bit here and there, for the last week, it's ok. Biggest complaint is how fast players build meter, since it makes break holds too available. Meter gain should be nerfed a bit.

I really dont know why they included holds from wall hits, since they're are some that you can hold from and some not, which is confusing. I prefer it to be like DOA5.

Not having to play the stun game to get a decent combo is a godsend. Makes playing my char less frustrating. Also makes more hold out of stun situations sting a little less.

I wouldn't mind the rate of meter gain if BH cost full meter or at least cost full meter in FSDS and only half to get out of fatal rush / BB cancel.

It gives options I guess? Some characters can step faster enough for the soft wall splat and get a BT stun. I just hate that Hitomi's 3k causes a soft stun. It was an easy wall splat combo in 5.

Yes the threshold changes are awesome....People constantly turtling now because of it is super irritating lol. Like they need to learn the difference between turtling and spacing. You're not going to win just sitting on the other side of the screen....Well you might because after a couple matches I get irritated and just rush you down which sometimes turns out bad for me lmao.

d3v

Like they need to learn the difference between turtling and spacing. You're not going to win just sitting on the other side of the screen.
It's become pretty obvious that a lot of people don't know how to play neutral in a game that makes them have to.

Raansu

It's become pretty obvious that a lot of people don't know how to play neutral in a game that makes them have to.

That and the current SS seems to make them feel safer from people just running up on them. I tend to just run straight in and hit ratal rush as soon as I get in their face. A lot of people seem to panic SS and get hit pretty easily.

d3v

That and the current SS seems to make them feel safer from people just running up on them. I tend to just run straight in and hit ratal rush as soon as I get in their face. A lot of people seem to panic SS and get hit pretty easily.
I've had people try to do that, and then spam sidestep attack. I just end up throwing them a lot.

SaihateDYNAMO

My main gripe with the gameplay itself is with how ridiculous the SS attacks can be at times. It really throws the pace of the match off when people just keep on mashing them out of everything and it works... it's like a DP that can't even be held on reaction so they need to slow em down a little. Admittedly, I do need to work on catching them more often with tracking moves and Fatal Rushes but at the same time it's still irritating that they can be abused like that.

This is also super stupid but I always hated how precise the timing is to convert off of some fatal stun animations. It feels kinda limited that you only have a certain amount of time to go into a mid and ONLY mids after them, and it looks really dumb when a high or a low that should hit my opponent will whiff for no reason at all. This is especially noticeable with the sit-down stuns where the opponent is literally kneeling on the ground but if i try to go for a low to set something up, I can't because my character's foot will magically clip through the opponent. That's stupid yet not really a big deal but I noticed that whiffing sometimes and felt like some moves shouldn't completely miss if it literally comes into contact with my opponent's body.

I don't mind the meter system at all. Break Holds don't really throw the pace of the match off that much since it's a complete return to neutral. If you're on the giving or recieving end of one just stay on the defense since some people like to mash stupid (punishable!) stuff afterwards. If anything, I would say that meter's kinda limited in a sense? There's literally only two ways to use it, so it would be cool if we got at least one more way to spend it up. Break Launchers, anyone? Lol

Also fix Tina's HiC throw damage, that hoe is dangerous!! She's a force to be reckoned with in Zero

LeiFang009

My main gripe with the gameplay itself is with how ridiculous the SS attacks can be at times. It really throws the pace of the match off when people just keep on mashing them out of everything and it works... it's like a DP that can't even be held on reaction so they need to slow em down a little. Admittedly, I do need to work on catching them more often with tracking moves and Fatal Rushes but at the same time it's still irritating that they can be abused like that.

This is also super stupid but I always hated how precise the timing is to convert off of some fatal stun animations. It feels kinda limited that you only have a certain amount of time to go into a mid and ONLY mids after them, and it looks really dumb when a high or a low that should hit my opponent will whiff for no reason at all. This is especially noticeable with the sit-down stuns where the opponent is literally kneeling on the ground but if i try to go for a low to set something up, I can't because my character's foot will magically clip through the opponent. That's stupid yet not really a big deal but I noticed that whiffing sometimes and felt like some moves shouldn't completely miss if it literally comes into contact with my opponent's body.

I don't mind the meter system at all. Break Holds don't really throw the pace of the match off that much since it's a complete return to neutral. If you're on the giving or recieving end of one just stay on the defense since some people like to mash stupid (punishable!) stuff afterwards. If anything, I would say that meter's kinda limited in a sense? There's literally only two ways to use it, so it would be cool if we got at least one more way to spend it up. Break Launchers, anyone? Lol

Also fix Tina's HiC throw damage, that hoe is dangerous!! She's a force to be reckoned with in Zero

Agree with all of this especially the SS part. Current SS is way too powerful imo and dealing with SS spammers is far from fun even if you win against them eventually. Sometimes I have SS battles with SS spammers and dear God, these are the ugliest matches ever regardless of who wins! I need to learn countering them better instead of fighting fire with fire but even if I do that, current SS still feels a bit overpowered. Little nerf is needed for it to prevent players from spamming it non-stop.

Ok. I will test this trick and see if it works lol xD
I'm having trouble rushing in knowing I'm gonna get sidesteped for sure.

Last edited:

ninemil

Standard Donor
but even if I do that, current SS still feels a bit overpowered. Little nerf is needed for it to prevent players from spamming it non-stop.
What if they came off the meter? Wouldn't need to cost much to incentivise more opportunistic, less spammy use.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD