DOA6 Story Discussion

Onryoki

Standard Donor
One side of me is kinda happy the story leaked, the other side of me thinks it’s a mistake. I wondered about the story for years now but I think this story mode was fun but bad. I don’t like to admit it but the hype for 6 died a bit for me.

Vigoorian King

4KWP4f5.jpg

PCguUm1.jpg

Number 13

Somehow the story was even worse then DOA 5!

It was even more out of place with the out of control pacing, overall shorter length, and the main “plot” doesn’t even get touched on until close to the end. Marie Rose and Honoka combined probably had more screentime then the Ninjas.

Some key moments that threw me off

- Ton of cringe filler scenes like Hitomu/Lei looking for treasure or Brad looking for alcohol. Nyo in partcular felt out of place even with her Hayabusa theme

- DOA tournament fights were dumb. Eliot loses to Hitomi despite the hype that he got Gen Fu skills now. Hitomi got 2nd again apparently losing to either Diego or Jann again. Diego was largely ignored past his intro until his sudden final round fight with Jan with no clear winner.

- Rig is just all over the place whether he is brainwashed or not.

- Raidou as villain had no impact since he had two sentences. Hayate got his redemption I guess.

- Kasumi the main character heavily ignored. Screentime ate by Marie and Honoka adventures.

- Hayabusa was even more hands off to the plot then the last game since he didn’t even infiltrate the place. At least he kept tradition and blew up a helicopter.

- Ein Easter eggs from a Hitomi scene to his bgm playing in diner twice. More then you can say for Leon that didn’t get a single reference or mention. Eliot talks about Gen Fu I think one time briefly.

- Nico as an antagonist was meh. She basically just replaces Lisa who also felt out of place. She can’t decide to be a wrestler or scientist with DoATec

- Twist at end of reviving Helena mother was empty impact wise.

- I did genuinely laugh at like two scenes. Marie trying to keep Hayate out and how Zack told Tina her governor dream is not gonna work out.

Oh well at least you can rely on NR for an enjoyable story experience even if X had a dog shit premise. T7 story was poor but at least you can follow what happens way easier.

zoo

Well
So that was something.. lol
You guys weren't kidding. The cut content was very obvious. Many arcs don't get resolved or even touched on post two scenes and characters just show up out of nowhere (Leifang in danger zone). I have rather low expectations for DOA stories but with how much Shimbori discussed it and the emphasis in trailers, I at least expected something finished LOL like I genuinely have so many questions

What they hell happened with Kokoro and Helena?
Who did Hitomi and Mila lose to? and why go with Jann Lee in the finals again?
How did Lisa survive?
Tf was up with depressed Jann Lee at the beginning?
What happened with Rig?
Why does Helena get her ass beat so much? lol
Literally everything with Nyotengu
and why is Kasumi the least important character here?

I could go on but damn that was an odd experience, for as convoluted and dumb 5's plot was it at least felt complete. I bet many are going to feel this way too even with how dumb the other games could be.. it just feels so off. Navigating the story was also a chore.. random scenes just unlock in whatever order leaving you to jump around a map to sorta stay in line with chapters. The load times for each scene are annoying especially when it's literally a 10 second clip and no fight.

a few things I did like:
Diego was handled well and was one of the best in the story (DiegoxMila?)
Wanted Eliot to dominate more and take the tourney but his scenes were great
Nyotengu randomly fucking with the characters made no sense but it was entertaining
A few of the English va's were actually pretty nice, Nico and Christie for sure

all of the ninja stuff was trash, even with how much I love Ayane she couldn't save it

I don't play this series for story but damn I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a story DLC to fill in these gaps. Apparently it might be a possibility so I'm hoping for that instead of waiting 7 more years for them to somehow make an even worse narrative.

EvangelioN

from reading some comments about story mode I get that its shit haha I was going to play it hoping that maybe I can unlock something but there isnt anything to unlock ... I think I am not even going to try it

Macca Beam

the ninja stuff were terrible but kasumi's absence was one saving grace of it. stoic determined princesses are less entertaining than drying paint and i'd take a game full of retarded comic relief scenes over having to observe them for more than 3 seconds

"I WILL FIGH..." <-- my head already made contact with the pillow here

Strangerinmytub

LOL well that sucked. There's so much shit that doesn't make any sense here. Here are my thoughts

General:
-Awkward ass cutscenes and transitions, weird interactions, nothing unexpected
-Japanese voice acting was fine, no idea how English is
-Branching tree format doesn't really contribute much, you end up just doing stuff out of order and becoming more confused. I liked what they did on the final mission where you could choose which of the 3 ninjas you wanted to play, where was that in the rest of the story!?
-Raidou boss fight was underwhelming, the darkness gimmick was sorta cool but I could beat him by just spamming my fatal rush.
-Night versions of maps and the Cafe that Kokoro fights in should all be in ranked playlist, they are pretty cool
-Things that are unaddressed going into the next game: Where is Miyako? What will happen with Maria? Did Jann Lee and Diego tie or does Jann Lee just win anyway? Is Gen Fu alive? Where will Lisa go now? Is Rig evil again or is he gonna forget like last time? What the hell was Nyotengu doing. How many Phase4's are there just wandering around?

Characters:
Kasumi - Didn't really do anything til the end, doesn't really go anywhere and ends up in the same situation she started in. I guess she looked cool. 2/10
Zack - Meme, had a ton of screen time and honestly was pretty fun for most of them. Fun personality and lots of relationships. I found it hilarious that him beating the shit out of Kokoro and smashing her skull in made her feel better LOL 9/10
Helena - Also a lot of screen time, definitely one of the primary characters for this iteration. I liked the short episode she had with Zack, that was quite heartwarming. Her relationship with Marie could have been developed more. Now the deal with her and Kokoro is a little weird, I get what they were going for but it was a little jarring watching Helena go from cold, disinterest to outright wailing. She also gets points for bitch slapping Nico in the postcredits scene. 8/10.
Tina - Pretty average showing, not much to say, she was around. 5/10
Bass - Angry old man beating people up for various reasons. 5/10
Mila - Fun, wholesome, barely does anything. 6/10
Ayane - Tons of screentime, no development except I guess she know's she's Raidou's daughter now. 4/10
Diego - Melodramatic and underdeveloped, but I can see where they were going with it. 6/10
Bayman - Babysitter for the gang, but I guess him knocking the gun out of Christie's hand was cool. 5/10
Jann Lee - Depressed because he is looking for Rig but you only know through the chapter synopsis text and not through any meaningful dialogue or actions. No idea what the heck they were going for between him and Lei. 3/10
Leifang - Cocky and fun I guess, but doesn't do anything. 4/10
Hitomi - Lots of screentime that doesn't go anywhere. Why was she in Japan? What's the deal between her and Eliot? Are they rivals now? Does she still care about Ein/Hayate? 3/10
Rig - Lots of screentime, voice actor seems to be having a good time. Somehow doesn't remember being evil, hangs out with Bass and the gang, then goes evil again and then he got beaten up. Guess he's a fulltime villain now? 5/10
Christie - Not as much of a loser as she was in the last game, and she beats up Nico so good job Christie. Still boring and uninteresting though, her motive is just "I'm evil haHAH". 4/10
Hayabusa - Magic OP guy who just shows up because he feels like it. His fight with Hayate looked cool though and his scenes are fun, just doesn't have any reason to be in the story. 5/10
Marie - Cutesy lolicon trash, but they executed on the principle well and she has a pretty well defined personality and a lot of screentime. Seriously, I hate this character but she's probably one of the only ones who has any kind of development and relationship. 9/10
Honoka - Also anime trash that is well executed, her copycat scenes are neat and she has a well defined personality (yes I mean actual personality). 8/10.
Nico - Kind of cool but also annoying. I could see the potential behind this character but it was just poorly executed. They could have made her feel more conflicted and neutral about Raidou, maybe have some doubts. But she is too much of a cartoon villain for most of the story, right up until the end. I do think that her giving Kokoro the photo due to her relationship with Miyako was a nice touch, hopefully they expand on this relationship later on. 7/10.
Kokoro - My favorite character gets shafted again with only 3 scenes, with only two of them being any good. It is hilarious however that Kokoro does get more development and relationship exploring in these three chapters than some other characters get for the whole game. I guess Saber's voice actress was too expensive so they tried to give her as few lines as possible. What's there is alright, but there isn't enough of it. C'mon KT, give Kokopuffs her time in the sun. 7/10.
Lisa - Is just there for the ride, but I guess she is alive. 5/10
Brad - Is just there to do drunk things and get beaten up, nice outfit though. 4/10
Eliot - Wasted potential, doesn't do anything, but pretty cheeky dialogue 5/10
Raidou - You fight him once and then he's gone, what a letdown. He does look cool as hell though. 3/10
Nyotengu - Trolling the whole game, just fucking around with no ulterior motive (for now I guess). Fun scenes though. 4/10.
Phase4 - Is literally just an NPC trash mob. 1/10.

Last edited:

Xhominid The Demon Within

You know with most of the people talking about how shit the story mode is, how worse it is than DOA5... I'm honestly wondering if you guys try a little much with some of your criticisms.
I mean this isn't the best story ever or even a good one... but it's not shit, it's not even bad.
I'll go through the cons first then the pros.
Cons:
- Many of Character Arcs seem to stop dead with no real ending to them, even the final scenario just... ends but there is a decent cliffhanger at the end of it all.
- It's amazing how Kasumi is BARELY in the story itself... the main heroine and the face of DOA... is barely in the story. It's very chuckleworthy but it's just amazing how she got shafted so badly and it's worse with the Showdown with Raidou you can elect to not pick her and make the situation worse.
- It feels weird that they ultimately don't really pick on what happened with Rig. In DOA5, they have Rig come off as if he was faking his amnesia... but in DOA6, he instead is someone who has a trigger to become what he showed off in DOA5. Maybe it's in the Encyclopedia but I wish they exposited more on this.
- Raidou is sadly... pointless. I mean I understood he was practically dead from square one but they did NOTHING with him even in the short timespan he had. I mean they practically COULDN'T do anything and he is sorta well established but damn.

Pros:
- I honestly have no clue why you guys get on over that Nyotengu is pointless... because that's the point of what she is. She's a Tengu, a devious but extremely powerful Youkai who pulls pranks on people and act extremely haughty. This combined with the fact she's touring the Human World just to pique her curiosity should be damned obvious she's just fucking around. She's not meant to be a serious threat, just a troll plain and simple. And I am glad they didn't drag out her "relation" to Bankotsubo and that she only wanted to face Ryu because he killed him and she wanted to see if it's true.

- They did a far better job with the "twist" that Honoka is in fact Raidou's daughter than I thought. Of course they laid the clues like a goddamned anvil even in DOA5(her aura in her hand is similar, she copies moves like him and she even has tag dialog with him and Ayane), but I was expecting something to just throw it out pretty blatantly that Ayane is blood related to Honoka rather than a small setup(This pro is primarily for those that never really cared for dialogue in battle or played Tag Battle).

- I honestly have to say that Christie and NiCO, surprisingly, do not job as much as I thought they would. Of course they do lose in the designated fights(which feels more like plot), but it comes off more or less that they allowed themselves to lose or underestimated their opponents than come off as wimps like Christie in DOA5). The English VA also helps making NiCO sound even older and more "amoral" if that makes sense than I thought she would, which does help out her intimidation in taking down Ayane, Helena and even being a threat to Kasumi.

- Diego... I can't even believe that they did him pretty well. I thought he was going to be bland... but his English VA really did a good job with him and his small story arc(the little it was) was actually well done. Him getting a win over Jann Lee isn't that bad either since he was pretty hyped up to be the strongest Street Fighter in NY. Just wished whether or not Jann Lee or Diego won the DOA tournament was established.

- I gotta say the same thing with Kokoro's little story too. Looking back at DOA5 with the interaction with Helena and Kokoro... it does make some sense why Helena didn't tell her a damn thing about being her sister and felt a little too protective. And Kokoro is legit pissed off and in a funk because of her mother's disappearance which is better than what happened with DOA5.

- And finally... I got to say, I like the evil shit NiCO did with reviving Helena's mother of all people as a side event to bringing her father back to life. I'm honestly wondering why would she do something like that and what's the purpose of it(especially since Donovan clearly wanted her to be revived) and I feel that it's about to include her all over again whenever they decide to continue on).

The story... is honestly alot better than I thought it was. Better than the abomination that is SFV, honestly better than DOA5 but there is still alot of issues, scenarios was obviously chopped out and there was some cringe... but if you watch anime, it's not even that bad either.
There was definitely areas of improvement but I don't really see it as the absolute shitfest people say it is. They didn't destroy any lore, the story still had it's obvious tones and they did try to make everyone matter in the grand scheme of things... still wasn't perfect though.

7/10

zoo

Yeah, I'm having a feeling that the Trivia and the Encyclopedia is going to tell us WAY more things about the characters and things that happened in the Story Mode than Story Mode itself.
Pretty much, kinda fills the gaps a bit and I appreciate it. All we ever had to go off with the characters before was the shallow story modes so this is very welcome. Small things like Helena not knowing what cup noodles are and Tina hating mayonnaise just do it for me lol hope we get more of these down the line

P2p1mbs

My favorite trivia entry so far is Eliot wanting some of Bass' milk :D. Seems like they're going to make this a thing with him. I also love the entry about Tina and Lisa being disgusted by mayonnaise.

Boogie

girl, when i watched half of the story cutscenes on youtube i thought the pacing was because of how the uploader had editted the video but its actually like that in the game and im....underwhelmed. but anyways

- we now know rig is some sort of experiment and that he's under mind control by donovan and that causes his amnesia. so there's a good rig and an evil rig. personally, i love it. sue me.

- diego was handled very well, he almost came off as a main protagonist. it's like whoever wrote his portion of the story took TIME working on his arc. i also love the hint at a new romance between him and mila but that also kinda confirms my suspicion that diego was probably originally intended to be in DoA5 because his story ties in way too much with mila and rig.

- christie was one of my favorite characters in story mode. i love that her character was consistent and on the thin line between 'do i even give af about this' and 'none of my business, girl.'

- nico was meh but overall the villain the series needed because she pushed a lot of plot lines forward.

- i'm finally fucking glad ayane had something to do this game because i was getting tired of her being hayate's aggressive side-sick and keeping a grudge for no damn reason. get over it or get gone girl.

- ayane and honoka being sisters was............................a choice. raidou is really out here just raping and they brough him back? #metoo

- isn't marie rose suppose to be the 'wicked little servant'?????????????????????????????????????????????? would've been better if she worked for M.I.S.T and was used to spy on helena. i was expecting her to be like, low key evil and i didn't get that at all. so. there's that.

- thank GOD zack was being taken seriously as a character and not the token funny black character that jig and jives for the women folk. say what ya'll want about story mode but THAT was a breathe of fresh air.

- would've loved phase 4 to have more of a story, maybe finding herself as a character, wanting to become separate from kasumi, wanting to be free and human. but also glad kasumi wasn't the driving force of narrative this game. take a vacation girl, you deserve it.

- bass, tina and mila had a good arc going there. love that essentially their arc is what connected all the story together in a way.

everything else was a complete mess and just came off as a badly written fanfic with voice acting.

- ayane and honoka being sisters was............................a choice. raidou is really out here just raping and they brough him back? #metoo

That wasn't really a choice, It was practically spelled out since DOA5 from her Tag variations of Raidou and Ayane she was his daughter.

- isn't marie rose suppose to be the 'wicked little servant'?????????????????????????????????????????????? would've been better if she worked for M.I.S.T and was used to spy on helena. i was expecting her to be like, low key evil and i didn't get that at all. so. there's that.

Marie was never stated to be evil, not a single time. What was given off since DOA5 was that Marie is a brat of the highest order and carries a near-similar bitch feel that Ayane does... which while she doesn't show off in the story that much, it's very clearly there outside of when she's interacting with either Helena or Honoka before and after becoming her friend for real

Honestly there's one thing I want to clarify in my review because I was being a dumbass:

Rig was in fact explained even harder than he was in DOA5 and honestly, it's basically one of the best things I got from DOA in a long time next to Helena ultimately being able to let go of her mother's death affecting her and NiCO and her being foils.

Rig is actually 2 personalities or ultimately 2 different people. Neither Rig is anymore fake than the other as ultimately Rig is a Machurian Candidate, he has his innocent Rig personality that's still very geniune... but once Christie gets to him, he becomes Donovan Jr. and follows his father to the T.
It's actually pretty fucking horrifying as Rig ultimately gets usurped by Donovan Jr. and there's nothing he can do in the slightest.
It's actually well done and it's one of the best things that came out of DOA6, kudos

EDIT: This is also going here as well.. I actually love what they went with Helena here, it's actually the biggest slam dunk with DOA6 next to Diego's storyline. Helena literally didn't tell Kokoro anything actually fit well to what happened in DOA5(Helena could have told Kokoro everything... but she didn't) as not only a means to protect her... but because she's literally the only family member she has left and Kokoro straight out walking out on her must have nearly shattered her to pieces(we don't know if they reconciled but it does make sense why she would break like that).

Then we get to the best part of it all, everyone always talk about the slap she deals to NiCO... but what people miss is exactly what people complained about Helena meeting Christie in DOA5 being answered here:

She let go of her dark past and her hatred and anger towards her mother's death. She ultimately finds it pointless to stay shackled to the past and finally moved on with her life, that's why she didn't explode on Christie like she did in DOA4, she finds it completely beneath her to act that way again. This also fits why she berates NiCO and why she tried so hard to reach out to her. They are two people cut from the same cloth(both lost their parents at a young age) and NiCO is heading herself into ruin by continually following into the path of trying anything to bring her father back by any means necessary. And she will be stuck in that hell of her own making unless she ultimately lets go.

And the Trivia is really making me pity NiCO something fierce. She's actually a very good villain on every account, she's evil and it's obvious that's the case... but she's evil with a purpose to ultimately get back what she lost as a kid and can't let go of it no matter what and it's honestly relatable too.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Story spoilers for DoA6
Well I finished the story on Thursday and I can say that overall I enjoyed it even though It wasn't super long. ( and it was set up quite confusingly tbh since It wasn't linear )

Overall I enjoyed NiCo as a new villain, She actually was interesting plus as a massive Lisa fan her rivalry with Lisa was fun to watch, Plus I just enjoyed in general seeing more story developments like Lisa being out of rehab, Marie and Honoka meeting and becoming friends, and obviously big ones like it being revealed that Helena's mother has been brought back to life?! :eek:

I also just really enjoyed it for the character interactions and the characters playing off of eachother, I enjoyed seeing Honoka and Marie meet Hitomi and Nyotengu and Brad chill out and drink etc it was fun.

Oh and 100% I loved the trivia entries, They were really fun to read and filled in certain things in the story and what characters were thinking, Not to mention just silly random things like a certain hot dog trivia entry. :p

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD