Does Dimensions Tell us much about DoA5 gameplay? DOA5 Press Event!

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
The only thing that is bothering me right now is the multiple choice......you know what, depending how it is implemented it could actually work. The advanced holds for mid :P:/:K: could be a blessing depending on how it is implemented....damn, this is why they need High level player input. All it would take is minor tweaks and reworking for these elements to be great. Also, I am not mad at their being side step evasion for all characters. I am a little more optimistic now.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Show your disgust for this mini-game en masse, guys.

It's early enough they will scrap it without much heartache if you do it now, but the longer you people wait on this the more dev time they put into it and the less likely they are to abandon it.

Berzerk!

I'm all about keeping it simple, but that's not an example of overcomplication. DOA as it is now already has normal holds and advanced holds, just that only some characters have the advanced versions. That's not considered complicated now.

To me the idea of this (without knowing fully how well they will implement), suits DOA's "easy to play, hard to master" brief. Learning the basic holds is childs play. The level of advanced holds makes the game deeper.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
basic holds should be parries.

You shouldnt get cool shit for free.

if the frames are INCREDIBLY SLIM this thing can still be saved.

But they would have to be down to either 10 active frames or less.

Berzerk!

Yeah, I prefer parries too. But if the damage is minimal (like 10 damage?) and doesn't cause knockdown, like a little palm slap to push the opponent off or something, that shouldn't cause much concern. But parries that allow continual flow could be really cool.

On the look of the game... Those images are great, on graphics alone it's going to capture interest.

What do we know about the powerblow knockdown/minigame to protest against? Just that it's a minigame? I feel like I need more info.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
You know thats a mk vs dc style mini-game, and you know that things can essentially be turned around on the attacker as per team ninjas own words months ago.

Thats all you should need to know to understand its an incredibly bad idea, because it totally usurps the idea of setting up an attack and getting payed off for it actually landing.

Essentially, first i had to position you. Then I had to get you into a deep stun without getting countered. Then I had get my powerblow off without getting countered. Then I had to win the mini-game without getting it reversed on me.

Does that sound anything like how a good game should operate?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
thats gameplay for sure. its the exact same level as the trailer and well within technological boundaries.

Raansu

I'm all about keeping it simple, but that's not an example of overcomplication. DOA as it is now already has normal holds and advanced holds, just that only some characters have the advanced versions. That's not considered complicated now.

To me the idea of this (without knowing fully how well they will implement), suits DOA's "easy to play, hard to master" brief. Learning the basic holds is childs play. The level of advanced holds makes the game deeper.

It's not about "keeping it simple." It's about being productive and having a system that works without making it over complicated and trying to get the best of both worlds. They are trying to turn a unique setup into a universal tool as a way to please both crowds without thinking it through all the way. Layering some kind of "expert" hold on top of the regular 3 point hold simply sounds terrible and completely unnecessary. They need to pick a system and work around that specific design instead of trying to build something and trying to get the best of both worlds. It doesn't work that way.

They also need to scrap that whack ass QTE crap. When I read that, the first thing that came to my mind was this

So essentially, good players will not use the power blows most likely.

Berzerk!

You know thats a mk vs dc style mini-game, and you know that things can essentially be turned around on the attacker as per team ninjas own words months ago.

Thats all you should need to know to understand its an incredibly bad idea, because it totally usurps the idea of setting up an attack and getting payed off for it actually landing.

Essentially, first i had to position you. Then I had to get you into a deep stun without getting countered. Then I had get my powerblow off without getting countered. Then I had to win the mini-game without getting it reversed on me.

Does that sound anything like how a good game should operate?

Minigame raises alarm bells/red flags for sure.

We still don't know, though, how much damage the powerblow did to start with, and if it does need a deep stun setup. I think we can agree positioning is required without much debate.

If the powerblow itself before the falling minigame is a strong damage reward, and the minigame is only to decide who has advantage when you land (but not significant change to damage) it would preserve the risk/reward balance.

If its just a mini tussle to decide who takes a little extra damage, I don't know until we find out if the mingame is any good.

Damage and recovery are still unknowns. These new screenshots still don't have energy bars. So were people playing the demo just fighting without energy bars?

Still so much info needed.

Tenren

IGN.s press story up
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1214254p1.html

mostly what I fig would press would say. Would of been nice to had to to actual fly out there and get first hand look.

Dahlism said
"At the press event and just want to drop few things off the top of my head then back to it before it ends.

So far looks like 3pt. hold
I'm seeing the old 'expert hold' but now for everybody.
Looks like a sidestep evasion is in for everyone. We'll have to see how effective it is.

4 playable characters, Hayabusa, Hayate and now Ayane and Hitomi!
Yes, I think the girls look hot, and they sweat and get dirty! . "

Raansu

DOA51_1323313122.jpg

Kasumi and Ayane are two returning female fighters from previous DOA games.

Oh IGN lol...

Tenren

yah lol i haven't been on "IGNit" in forever but fig id see what they say about it. The story it self wasn't to bad but mostly what we already knew

Raansu

The article was written by the typical journalist who doesn't have a clue about fighters.

Tenren

why i call it IGNit hahahaha
never seen eye 2 eye with them. A few years back the leader of our MLG clan got into it with 1 of the editors at an event in Dallas. good times

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Good strategy team ninja.

1. Block all seasoned fighting game press from attending
2. Allow clueless press to give fans vague, disappointing descriptions of the game so everyone draws worst case scenarios
3. Kill all hype for the game.
4. ??
5. Profit!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD