Community "Don't think. Feel" The Jann Lee General Discussion Thread

Darkslay

Yeah its very great to do. Now if only it force teched like 1p lol. Though you can still force tech them with 2k2k at least and they are forced up from regular 2k if they hit buttons.

Yeah definitely man. 2k 2p is best option and gives a lot of advantage plus they are not forced far away when you force tech them up which is great.

PP2K is good but I do like using the 2k instead since it not from strings and easy to use to so as long as you know how to do the 2k you won't have problem getting the regular 2k everytime.

It not really complicated but simply do it just freestep with 8 or 2 and than do 2k and you won't get the ground hit version.
I wouldn't recommend a 2K2K though, its only a +8 and knocks really far back, its better to always opt for the 2K and react to their reaction, lol.

Nah but i meant only after 66PK/SS K/P6PK, PP2K works better in those situations since you don't have to buffer anything while you run towards the opponent.
How do you get that animation without kicking them on the ground. I always get the other animation. Iseen ryujin do it but, i never get that animation
You can also do it from a full crouch, bro.

MaxiKilla

Does anyone even zone with JL? Play footsies or taunt your opponent? I will check if there's a thread on this because Jan isn't all just combos.

Lulu

Does anyone even zone with JL? Play footsies or taunt your opponent? I will check if there's a thread on this because Jan isn't all just combos.

Yeah I don't see enough of :1::P+K:...... or whatever the notation is for that backward hop into Dragon Stance.

MaxiKilla

Yeah I don't see enough of :1::P+K:...... or whatever the notation is for that backward hop into Dragon Stance.
I would like to see more of that too. One of his most essential tools. I had some issues with it during combos and find it only useful for zone, wake up and wall game.

Darkslay

Of course there are people that zone with JL, that's one of the character's biggest strengths, and if you see a JL player who doesn't know spacing.... They're not playing the character correctly, what do you mean by taunt though? Why would you taunt with JL mid match?

whiterobes

Well Jan Lee's Taunts do serve a purpose. One causes him to crouch and the other is a meaty Kick Parry.
Personally, I like all of his taunts, but I wish instead of a mid kick parrying taunt, it would actually deflect the strike instead of evading it, so he can have some sort of advantage. In a lot of cases with that taunt, the strike he does is super unsafe and can be held or blocked and grab punished. It's... meh. :(

I think only the cockiest person would go for it. It doesn't seem like a viable tactic in an actual match, unless you're familiar with your opponent. I could be wrong though.

Darkslay

Well Jan Lee's Taunts do serve a purpose. One causes him to crouch and the other is a meaty Kick Parry.
They're not really great tools though, the Dragon counter should be used specifically for mid WUKs and even then, you have to be right next to the opponent otherwise its not guaranteed.

Eks

Play Yakuza
Premium Donor
I actually used 2K as my force tech in one of my old matches with Snyx. I should use that more often.

Well here it is @Darkslay. This is what I was talking about with you earlier today. Using 2k and not getting the close ground hit version and instead the regular 2k version no matter how close you are.

Now 2k works very similar to 2p as it will only forcetech them up when they are pressing buttons. However you do have 2k2k which will forcetech them up and you can also do something else. When you do 2k and they are not force teched up you can do 2p and will force tech them.

I think this stuff works great after you do 9kk and also p6pk/66pk. Maybe after 6t as well.

Last edited:

Darkslay

I remember when i 1st started playing doa back on Oct 2012 on doa 5. Wasn't really alot of support for jann lee on FSD like how it is now lol i see alot of support from yall. Back then all a new player like had was this combo vid i watched everyday.
Ahh, we all remember that video, the time when JL was way more godlike than he is now. Seeing how many things from it don't work now is quite sad actually, but we've made this character work either way, and no matter how many times they change him again, we'll continue to do so.

Eks

Play Yakuza
Premium Donor
I remember when i 1st started playing doa back on Oct 2012 on doa 5. Wasn't really alot of support for jann lee on FSD like how it is now lol i see alot of support from yall. Back then all a new player like had was this combo vid i watched everyday.
Haha this is actually the first JL combo video I've watched too when I started to learn JL. Well for me I started playing DOA on the Vita. (DOA5 Plus) I still play it once in awhile.

MaxiKilla

Been looking at JL battles and see some reckless moves. I've also been seeing how careless people are with his 3p+k when it's only good for combo finish or against throws and flying kicks. Extremely unsafe on block and some characters like kasumi can punish hard off of it. Luckily enough this doesn't apply to Ryu and other i10 throws but some moves can catch it.

whiterobes

Here are the 56 unholdables shown in the Dragon Guide, for easy access. :jannlee:
Definitely something I'll need to practice on all the weight classes. Awesome! B-b-but... hard timing unholdables from his 6T? Duuuuude... it's good to know it's possible. Just very risky. Apparently, you live on the wild side! lol

Darkslay

Definitely something I'll need to practice on all the weight classes. Awesome! B-b-but... hard timing unholdables from his 6T? Duuuuude... it's good to know it's possible. Just very risky. Apparently, you live on the wild side! lol
You know i'm all about dat timing lyfe, lol. However, moves like 236P and P+K will still leave you safe in block if mess them up, its good to try them sometimes for the possible damage.

whiterobes

You know i'm all about dat timing lyfe, lol. However, moves like 236P and P+K will still leave you safe in block if mess them up, its good to try them sometimes for the possible damage.
Yeah, I totally respect your timing life! lmao But I've been seeing a lot of people throw out safe moves from far away without heeding the distance they are from their opponent or throwing out force techs against a teching opponent (ESPECIALLY the overused 2H+K iteration to H+K Lei Fang has. Even I'm guilty of that nonsense with her and have been appropriately punished for it). I've even made my own personal motto, "It ain't safe if it whiffs!" and 236P is something like 40 cooldown, no? Plenty of time for someone to scoot up and 6T or even 4T. I've gotten much better at whiff punishing with grabs. It's solid damage and I wouldn't want to risk whiffing a move just for potential damage/safeness against a more receptive opponent. :(

Darkslay

Yeah, I totally respect your timing life! lmao But I've been seeing a lot of people throw out safe moves from far away without heeding the distance they are from their opponent or throwing out force techs against a teching opponent (ESPECIALLY the overused 2H+K iteration to H+K Lei Fang has. Even I'm guilty of that nonsense with her and have been appropriately punished for it). I've even made my own personal motto, "It ain't safe if it whiffs!" and 236P is something like 40 cooldown, no? Plenty of time for someone to scoot up and 6T or even 4T. I've gotten much better at whiff punishing with grabs. It's solid damage and I wouldn't want to risk whiffing a move just for potential damage/safeness against a more receptive opponent. :(
Well, it can turn into a mixup in it of itself, you should only attempt 6T UHs when you're sure the opponent teched, those UHs are already timing based, so reacting to a tech up is step one, other than that, JL is great at applying 50-50s on wakeup due to having SDSs, deep stuns like 3P and moves like the Dragon Kick and Dragon Gunner. Conditioning the opponent can lead to making stuff “guaranteed” so after you catch someone on HCH DG after a 6T tech up, you pretty much have a guaranteed -6 236P when you put the opponent in that situation again, reacting to a i13, tracking high is not easy, you know? :p

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD