Hitomi is too weak

Lulu

It has low crush properties to it, but its not safe and it hasn't been for awhile. It used to be -3 and it used to guarantee a force tech, but I guess TN decided that she's not allowed to have any real tools so they took both options away from her and just made the move kind of crap. Its -5 at max hit range and is "ok" at being used for whiff punishment but its nothing like it used to be.

Yeah thats been going around alot lately...... I noticed that characters that were never problematic to begin are getting spanked with the Nerf Bat.

Like my beloved Tina and her :4::K:.

Raansu

Well, I tried but google and FSD wasn't my friends, as I was only able to search for "Tanii", "dead or alive", "hitomi" but it answered like "Do you mean 'Tina'?" hahaha xD. Didn't know for Dai-vidson either.
Thanks for the link & tips!! =D

I don't really follow the Japanese scene but I guess this is him. I searched google video and get some results with him doing a FT10 against someone. Dunno if its actually him though.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dai-vidson hitomi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Dai-vidson hitomi&tbm=vid

Edit:

I watched some of it. I mean he's definitely a damn good player but I don't really see him doing anything special. I mean I guess a lot of Hitomi players don't utilize those set ups so it seems like he's doing something crazy but honestly I've never seen people make use of her BT kicks besides me. He's the first one I've seen consistently use them.

End of the day though you can see him struggling with the massive limitations Hitomi has but he makes up for it with really good reads, which again doesn't suddenly make Hitomi good, it just means hes got really good reactions and reads his opponent well.

Maybe if we ever get DoA6 she'll get some real tools to work with that will actually be a threat. As it stands right now she has a lot of tools but they are all incomplete. I mean look at Lei Fang. They gave her Hitomi's punch parry and she gets actual options to fuck you up after the parry. Hitomi gets literally nothing. Same with 6h+p. Compare hers to Milas or Zacks and its just....wtf? Why bother? Might as well just risk going for the big damage throw.

I mean Hitomi's not absolutely terrible, but she's not good either. You can win with her, it just takes 10x the effort compared to the majority of the cast.

If they gave her back 3h+k being safe on block and returning the old force tech system, made her BT kicks not rely on the terrible open/close stance system (makes that shit super inconsistent) or at least made 46k and the variations of the kick safe on block again, gave her back her old SS kick, brought back her OH from DoA4 to set up traps after the parry and brought back her +15 from 6h+p after hi-counter throw she'd be way more of a threat with actual set ups that she could legit follow up with instead of the crap she deals with right now where every option is a reset.

Oh and bring back 2h+k being actual trips again, not this silly stagger stuff that can be fuzzied out of and make it negative on HIT. Ugh I know its only -1 but its still stupid as hell given how predictable her strings are and how long the damn recovery is on that sweep. There are so many things that can improve with her. Hell I'd love to have her old guard break back (its her power blow animation now). In DoA4 you didn't have to charge it and 7p was unblockable after wards. Man it depresses me knowing that DoA4 being a WAY inferior game to doa5 and yet Hitomi had way better tools than she does now. Like wtf? She feels like an empty shell compared to how she used to be in DoA3 and 4.

/rant.

Yeah thats been going around alot lately...... I noticed that characters that were never problematic to begin are getting spanked with the Nerf Bat.

Like my beloved Tina and her :4::K:.

Somewhere along the line TN philosophy changed and they started moving away from the original formula of DoA5 and moving back to more of a DoA4 style of play. There was some good changes in LR but I feel the last patch in vanilla prior to the release of 5U was the best version of DoA5. Everyone had scary tools to work with but the game just got watered down over each release after that. Like I played Bass in LR and all I could say was wtf over and over. I mean he's not terrible but he got shafted pretty bad. A lot of his threats to make up for being big and slow were completely removed and he has to struggle a lot more to do anything. Its kind of ridiculous. I feel like LR got more random and less tools to work with. Still nowhere near the level of DoA4 but I felt the game moving back in that direction over the course of 5U and LR.

Last edited:

Lulu

@Raansu
Speaking of Critical Stuns that are negative on hit..... I've been wondering what would happen if you Stagger Escaped that stun but instead of holding down :h: you just mash :P: instead......

You can come out of the stun at advantage and possibly counter hit Hitomi......

Okay so I know Leon's Neutral Game is weak but I don't get why they weakened his Stun game aswell.

I took him to the Dojo to find out what else he's got besides :3::3::P: :7::P:...... and I found nothing...... he's got REALL REALLY REALLY BAD Stuns...... I think TN made him that way on purpose so that you could be played Grappler Style but I feel like they went overboard and now he's stuck with :3::3::P: :7::P:.

NightAntilli

I mean look at Lei Fang. They gave her Hitomi's punch parry and she gets actual options to fuck you up after the parry. Hitomi gets literally nothing.
Not sure if that's a fair comparison. Hitomi's parry always does damage by itself independent of the timing while Leifang's parry doesn't. Leifang's parry needs to be timed right for the follow-up moves to work. If you press the attack too soon you can get hit in the face, and if you wait too long the attack no longer comes out. If you press the attack just a tad too late the opponent can simply hold it also. You can actually be at negative frames after parrying if you use the unshu wrong, while with Hitomi you're always at a slight advantage if it connects. Yes, Leifang does get options to fuck you up, but it's harder to use properly as well.

Same with 6h+p. Compare hers to Milas or Zacks and its just....wtf? Why bother? Might as well just risk going for the big damage throw.
Well, Mila needs this because of her limited mix-up game compared to Hitomi.
I can agree about Zack. Zack is superior the Hitomi in pretty much every way.

Hitomi is simply a mix-up heavy character. I agree that she didn't need to be nerfed. They ended up making her a beginner character with little depth. One of the absurd nerfs for Hitomi was her sidestep kick. The old one was great. It gave you great guaranteed damage. I really abused that. But now, she does a simple knee that gives you nothing -.-

Somewhere along the line TN philosophy changed and they started moving away from the original formula of DoA5 and moving back to more of a DoA4 style of play. There was some good changes in LR but I feel the last patch in vanilla prior to the release of 5U was the best version of DoA5. Everyone had scary tools to work with but the game just got watered down over each release after that. Like I played Bass in LR and all I could say was wtf over and over. I mean he's not terrible but he got shafted pretty bad. A lot of his threats to make up for being big and slow were completely removed and he has to struggle a lot more to do anything. Its kind of ridiculous. I feel like LR got more random and less tools to work with. Still nowhere near the level of DoA4 but I felt the game moving back in that direction over the course of 5U and LR.
I agree with this. DOA5 started with everyone having extremely powerful tools lol. It was great. I think in their mind they wanted to make the game more 'balanced', and that sadly meant watering down specific character tools. In the end, the game indeed became closer to DOA4. In DOA5 everyone was trying to be offensive to be able to use their tools. Right now the game is again played more defensively, people spacing a lot. I'm glad guaranteed things are still there though...

Raansu

I don't even care about the damage Hitomi's parry does. I'll take legit options over the small amount of damage and a measly +7 that honestly gives her no real options aside from mixing up between her limited safe attacks or guessing they are going to block/SS and throw them, both of which can easily be dealt with by a quick fuzzy guard. Like I said, its basically a glorified reset. At least Lei Fang has the option to open you up after the parry ( unless its drastically changed, she used to get guaranteed follow ups but I haven't played in awhile)

Lulu

I believe nothing is Guaranteed from Leifang's Unshu (:4::P+K:).

Only her :9::h: and:3::h: and I think one of her Holds have guarantees.

However she does have a crazy strong Offensive Hold from her Unshu stance that guarantees a really strong.... something or other..... lol I don't know leifang that well. I'm more of Marie type player.

NightAntilli

The follow-ups can be guaranteed depending on the situation. They are not guaranteed to be guaranteed, if you know what I mean xD But yeah Raansu, I get your point.

Lulu

I don't think I'l ever Play Hitomi again..... not until they do something about about her Reach and her Stuns.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Hitomi needs a gun.
upload_2015-12-10_1-39-37.png

I agree. Ayane's uniform looks much more badass with the handgun.

Raansu

I don't think I'l ever Play Hitomi again..... not until they do something about about her Reach and her Stuns.

Her stun game is definitely weak but her reach is one of her strong points and I don't think they need to do anything about that as one of the few things she's even half decent at is spacing and knockbacks into walls.

Lulu

Her stun game is definitely weak but her reach is one of her strong points and I don't think they need to do anything about that as one of the few things she's even half decent at is spacing and knockbacks into walls.

When I was talking about her Reach..... that was still within the context of the stun game. Her reach range in the Neutral Game however is very Statisfying.

NightAntilli

Hitomi is not supposed to play the stun game. She's pretty much a stun launch character, but to a lesser extent as Momiji. She doesn't need high launches for great damage, since she's quite powerful. A simple PP6PK or PP4PPP does quite a lot of damage and you don't need that deep a stun to get those juggles. You have to play her defensively against equally fast or faster characters, and put pressure against slower characters.

Lulu

Hitomi is not supposed to play the stun game. She's pretty much a stun launch character, but to a lesser extent as Momiji. She doesn't need high launches for great damage, since she's quite powerful. A simple PP6PK or PP4PPP does quite a lot of damage and you don't need that deep a stun to get those juggles. You have to play her defensively against equally fast or faster characters, and put pressure against slower characters.

That's of little comfort to me when I'm down on health and need a Power Blow/Launcher to even the odds.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Not really, characters like Ein and Hitomi only need one good launcher/bounce which can easily net them a 70-80 damage juggle and if it's on counter hit you're laughing.

Also, that's where 33T mind games come in Hitomi on HiC can get over 100+ dmg just from baiting a 33T.

Both of these render PBs and stuff useless

Last edited:

Lulu

Not really, characters like Ein and Hitomi only need one good launcher which can easily nrt them a 70-80 damage juggle and if it's on counter hit you're laughing.

Also, that's where 33T mind games come in Hitomi on CH can get over 100+ dmg just from baiting a 33T.

Both of these render PBs and stuff useless

Not if you're on the Scramble Stage.... or any stage with a Power Blow specific dangerzone.

Even if that weren't the case I'd still insist on having a better stun game for the sake of Power Blows.

UpSideDownGRUNT

For what she is, a knockback, spacing/whiff punish character her stuns are fine. The biggest problem you might face is that they're very predictable, and you're likely to get held or SEd before getting a decent CB combo or PB.

As for PB DZs, I never use them because my main can't really get anything of of them except maybe 66KKK or 236P lol it's probably a similar deal with Hitomi

I don't use Hitomi anywhere near enough to know exactly

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD