DOA5U Homework Time! Footsies and Spacing 101

Intelligent Alpha

I'll just straight up say that there's always lag online, even in "5-bar" matches. Especially compared to playing on a 5ms or less monitor offline. Do not take what online randoms say seriously, they're not playing the game properly either due to latency. Online is also not a competitive environment. Too many elements of the game get distorted such as spacing, movement, reactions and punishment. It's an unfortunate situation but that's how things are.

I've noticed and yeah, you're right. Speaking of which, who has used the Lag Simulation offline? Wasn't that its purpose? In general, Online was once a novelty. WTH happened?

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I've noticed and yeah, you're right. Speaking of which, who has used the Lag Simulation offline? Wasn't that its purpose? In general, Online was once a novelty. WTH happened?

I used to use lag simulation about 2 years when I was more active playing online. I noticed that using the lag simulation fucked up my offline timings because it encourages you to buffer everything too early, so I don't use it anymore. I see no reason why I should ever have to develop my online timings through lag simulations. Furthermore, lag simulation doesn't help with the movement issue. Still feels like you have cinder-blocks on your feet. Online isn't a novelty anymore because it is the standard in gaming across all platforms and is now taken for granted. Back in the DOA2U days or so, online was a treat due to its relative rarity on consoles.

Azarino

Maybe i'm just impatient or something but I hate when the opponent turtles from me. I just want to fight not play tag.

All this frame data nonsense I don't have time to memorize it all. Especially using a d-pad I use analogue.

I always lose to spacers because obviously i'm probably too aggressive but it's always me losing to a little bit of health every time. Opponent beats me by spacing and then grabbing me or doing a lame backflip.

I hate some players, I really do.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Maybe i'm just impatient or something but I hate when the opponent turtles from me. I just want to fight not play tag.

All this frame data nonsense I don't have time to memorize it all. Especially using a d-pad I use analogue.

I always lose to spacers because obviously i'm probably too aggressive but it's always me losing to a little bit of health every time. Opponent beats me by spacing and then grabbing me or doing a lame backflip.

I hate some players, I really do.

Wait wait, is this post for real? - Alright look this might sound common and maybe even tiresome, you probably heard this tons of time and hearing from it does get annoying, but I insist that you look past this and think outside the box for a change. I mean this in a positive way and not entirely negative towards your post. Maybe you are impatient, and so are many others who are trying to improve on the game are probably impatient as well, but you do have those that are willing to sit down and actually learn these types of things so that they don't have to go through such obstacles again.

Like mentioned before, my post is not towards you in any negative type of way, but this is all part of the game and how it generally applies to things. If someone is performing the option that works in their favor they will not stop doing it simply because you said so. They are literally absorbing that weakness off you and you are not doing anything about it. I mean, can you blame them? it's their way of winning and it actually works because there is more than one way to play the game, especially with DOA. You have to adapt and come off with a process with their own weakness. In fact, why is it an issue for you to do it too? - It's part of the game and you have to win no matter the cost. There is no pride involved within the actual match scenario. Nothing is truly taking effect until you actually win the game and making them figure out on how to deal with your winning.

Take the time to learn frame data or at least use it to find out what/which move is giving you issues so that the next time you can find a way on how to deal with it and no longer will you jump in the fray blindly getting hit by the same thing over and over again while getting spaced out in the process. You can't expect one to hit buttons all day on block and leave them stuck there to your needs, they have to make a move as well since you are placed at disadvantage for attacking so much on block or whiffing moves out in the open. You could get thrown for free on either of those situations so you too as a player should do it too so that they can feel it. If you won't apply to it then you are stuck with a brick wall until you actually sit down and absorb. If you have questions, ask around. People "will" help you. All you have to do is ask.

Azarino

Wait wait, is this post for real? - Alright look this might sound common and maybe even tiresome, you probably heard this tons of time and hearing from it does get annoying, but I insist that you look past this and think outside the box for a change. I mean this in a positive way and not entirely negative towards your post. Maybe you are impatient, and so are many others who are trying to improve on the game are probably impatient as well, but you do have those that are willing to sit down and actually learn these types of things so that they don't have to go through such obstacles again.

Like mentioned before, my post is not towards you in any negative type of way, but this is all part of the game and how it generally applies to things. If someone is performing the option that works in their favor they will not stop doing it simply because you said so. They are literally absorbing that weakness off you and you are not doing anything about it. I mean, can you blame them? it's their way of winning and it actually works because there is more than one way to play the game, especially with DOA. You have to adapt and come off with a process with their own weakness. In fact, why is it an issue for you to do it too? - It's part of the game and you have to win no matter the cost. There is no pride involved within the actual match scenario. Nothing is truly taking effect until you actually win the game and making them figure out on how to deal with your winning.

Take the time to learn frame data or at least use it to find out what/which move is giving you issues so that the next time you can find a way on how to deal with it and no longer will you jump in the fray blindly getting hit by the same thing over and over again while getting spaced out in the process. You can't expect one to hit buttons all day on block and leave them stuck there to your needs, they have to make a move as well since you are placed at disadvantage for attacking so much on block or whiffing moves out in the open. You could get thrown for free on either of those situations so you too as a player should do it too so that they can feel it. If you won't apply to it then you are stuck with a brick wall until you actually sit down and absorb. If you have questions, ask around. People "will" help you. All you have to do is ask.
Do you feel as if my post was directed at your play style? That is the real question.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Do you feel as if my post was directed at your play style? That is the real question.

Not at all. Some people can play both. In fact, the situation becomes far worse up close if one knows frame data and eliminating all your offensive options that might actually make you fall back to your situation. Especially with players who have good offensive neutral and defense up close to stop your offense even up close.

Azarino

If I don't bother to hit the opponent first from their annoying turtling method the match will time out or it will involve us both dancing like idiots. I've played this game for a long time and have had so many good a bad matches so I now how to differentiate a bad sport (player) to a good one.

Even if you say spacing and doing a backflip each time I get close is okay, I have to disagree :( Also understand that this usually happens when we're both at little health usually. Yes there is a way around everything but why should people be playing like that anyway? Do they feel proud? I wouldn't if I were them.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It's like I mentioned before. There is no pride involved when a match begins. There is no shame if one proceeds to do a method that you won't absorb from because it's legitimately part of the game and many other games. If it was an exploit or a glitch then people may agree with you, but that is not the case here since it's actually a tactic by players that makes them win. The end result is that it's a "win". If they lose they also have to figure out on why they lost and try to adapt to your needs on what is making them lose. They will feel proud because it's a genuine win by them, there's no way around it. Did you know that players are humans and that they too can make mistakes from bad coordination from spacing and whiffing moves on their end that could get them punished too? - I do not see how spacing can be noted as a bad thing when they are trying to avoid health loss. It's genuine to prevent yourself from losing health, there is nothing wrong with that.

In war, people will use any method to win because that's how things go even in logic. There is no rules strapped to them saying they can't. If the match times out? then they took the time in making you aware of how these things happen. It's all in the game and in the plan.

I'll say this, you can disagree and letting your inner you accept these things, but you will not make it very far if you don't take the time to absorb and make them play to your needs. You have to force them in a "fighting" game because in actuality, it's a "fighting" game.

Lulu

@Azarino
If you genuinely don't like All the Turtling or Spacing then you can try a Fighting Game that encourages Aggressive Playstyles.

Mortal Kombat X is a good place to Start.... you'l still have to deal with Spacing but Defensive play in that Game is definitely Weak.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
@Azarino
If you genuinely don't like All the Turtling or Spacing then you can try a Fighting Game that encourages Aggressive Playstyles.

Mortal Kombat X is a good place to Start.... you'l still have to deal with Spacing but Defensive play in that Game is definitely Weak.

That is not helping at all. You are catering to a player that limits them to perform things and aim to winning. Swapping to another game won't help and you picked MKX which feeds off a meta for zoning and knockdown concepts to get the ball rolling (there is legitimate bad match ups there). Players could initially turn worse picking another game just because they listened to one post.

Azarino

I will continue to wait for the opponent to finish dancing 1000metres away from me. I also play Mortal Kombat X but don't enjoy it as much as doa :)

@DestructionBomb You must also realise that many players also do play cheaply on purpose and space to annoy you by t-bagging. Not everyone is as sensible as you believe.

Azarino

So are you going to wait 1000mms away when he has the health lead while he's taunting in the background with a bucket full of health?
No it will be probably when the match has started as the opponents I connect with usually step metres away before "Get ready... FIGHT!" is on screen.

@DestructionBomb It's also laughable how you have a four hour video specifically on frame data. I don't need to say anymore.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Dead or alive does encourage aggressive play though, the point of the game is to be as random and unpredictable as possible with the hold system being your only obstacle.
I will continue to wait for the opponent to finish dancing 1000metres away from me. I also play Mortal Kombat X but don't enjoy it as much as doa :)
Just approach them, zoners/spacers are vulnerable too, chances are if you come within a certain distance they'll throw out an attack hoping to counter hit you, just flush them out and bait a reaction. When you're in their face you gotta stay in their face and not let them do anything otherwise they'll just back away again and restart the cycle. I'm personally a fan of zoning, I love the idea of you making it almost impossible for an opponent to approach you, Sonic Fox did that with Tanya at Evo two years ago and I was practically drooling in awe of how well he kept the opponent away from him. XD

Also at Get Ready Fight just dash towards them, them backing away isn't gonna help since you use Kasumi, she's the fastest character in the game. :-D

Lulu

That is not helping at all. You are catering to a player that limits them to perform things and aim to winning. Swapping to another game won't help and you picked MKX which feeds off a meta for zoning and knockdown concepts to get the ball rolling (there is legitimate bad match ups there). Players could initially turn worse picking another game just because they listened to one post.

True.... but I got the impression he would be better off in a game built around his play style rather than have to change his style to fit the game...

Whenever I struggle against something like that... I copy it.... see if I could get into the mind of my opponent and figure out why they would do that..... and hope that insight will help me develope a counter Strategy.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD