I think DOA players need to see this.

loralei

So what the game was hated by everyone and it's still guessing. Hell even though top 4 said the game was trash.
Just curious, who are these top 4?

Honestly as long as "holds" are in this game the fgc will moan about it. It's pretty annoying. But honestly I don't care what they think go back to your fighter. What's annoying is when so called players that's supposed to be part of this community is trying so hard to change DOA to be more like Tekken/VF. Why you start playing the game for in the first place if you prefer those? I feel instead of trying to change something successful for what it is into something it wasn't meant to be, how about you play what makes you feel more comfortable? No one is stopping you. But instead of trying to change the game mechanic to please people who doesn't play it in the first place, how about this community get off it's butt and make a competitive scene? That's the only thing that will make a difference.
Agreed.It make more sense to just get off your ass and make yourself a fighting style that makes you comfortable with and not try to change the whole game itself. Nobody is forcing you to use holds, and if you don't want to, then it's your weakness, and a whole layer off of your defensive strategy.

TakedaZX

-shrugs- Why did guaranteed combos off of one guess become such a big thing? Or rather... when? Tekken 1? SF1?

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
dude fuck a real fight. Sigh..... this why DOA is still miles away from VF and Tekken. they have some type of hold in their games, but it isn't everything like it is here.

See that's the thing. Holds aren't meant to be like Tekken or VF. If people trying to make it like that you're in the wrong community. Plain and simple. It's not supposed to be on the same level, either. They don't need to make holds like the counter/parry system of tekken/vf to make it a deep game.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
See that's the thing. Holds aren't meant to be like Tekken or VF. If people trying to make it like that you're in the wrong community. Plain and simple. It's not supposed to be on the same level, either. They don't need to make holds like the counter/parry system of tekken/vf to make it a deep game.
Which makes it even more irrelevant to argue or compare the 3. It's supposed to be different. There wouldn't be no point in making a fighting game period if they were the same.

MasterHavik

i like all three man. But VF and Tekken do it better. Their holds don't play a huge piece of metagame like the holds in DOA does. You can't parry out of stun in those game you can in DOA.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
i like all three man. But VF and Tekken do it better. Their holds don't play a huge piece of metagame like the holds in DOA does. You can't parry out of stun in those game you can in DOA.

I play all three as well and who do it better is a matter of opinion and preference. If you like how they do it better in tekken, or VF that's fine. Personally I don't care about the system in tekken, and I love it in VF. But I don't care for DOA hold system to be similar with either one. That's not the game I fell in love with. People just need to stop comparing DOA with Tekken or VF because it's not supposed to play like those. Which is my point. They need to focus on what the game is and supposed to be. And most of all this community needs to focus on building.

MasterHavik

I play all three as well and who do it better is a matter of opinion and preference. If you like how they do it better in tekken, or VF that's fine. Personally I don't care about the system in tekken, and I love it in VF. But I don't care for DOA hold system to be similar with either one. That's not the game I fell in love with. People just need to stop comparing DOA with Tekken or VF because it's not supposed to play like those. Which is my point. They need to focus on what the game is and supposed to be. And most of all this community needs to focus on building.
i mean to be honest with you if they remove holds out of stun..all my Zack mix up is gone. But I feel it's for the better man. If we want to take the next step we have to lose some things. I mean MK had to give up adding a ton of new characters to mk9. they also gave up koquest mode too. When I mean new...I mean Havik, Shujinko, Lei Mei, Dairou, Hotrau, and etc. I also love Darrius too. Kenshi got lucky. Havik and shuinko( my favs of new mk) didn't get so lucky. Koquest mode was amazing in both MKD and MKa. It sucks it got taken out. But you know what? Mk9 is still an amazing game.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
MK situation is way different. Most of those games/characters were rushed and made out of desperation because Midway were going bankrupted. The stuff they got rid off wasn't a "sacrifice" it was more of the things people just simply didn't care about. It wasn't game breaking not to mention not all the characters are lost. The popular ones will come back sometime down the road and they won't just be mop ups of old characters(like most of the MKD/MKA characters were). Not to mention they went to there original roots(that made it popular) and simply made it competitive(appeal to casual and hardcore fighting fans).

Back on topic. I think in DOA5 they nerf holds, and stuns enough. Not to mention you have unholdable stuns, and more guaranteed stuff. The stun game is what makes doa what it is. If you compare doa1-5 you will see how much they've sacrifice through the years. Especially with 5. But completely taking something out of the gameplay will make a huge difference. Stuns and holds will always be a big part of the game in DOA5 it definitely takes more skill to use. I'm a Lisa player and playing the stun game with her is pretty crappy.

Learning how to deal with the stun/hold game i just simply what DOA is all about. Every fighter has it's unique system you have to learn how to handle it. As long as it isn't broken I don't see what there is to fix.

MasterHavik

MK situation is way different. Most of those games/characters were rushed and made out of desperation because Midway were going bankrupted. The stuff they got rid off wasn't a "sacrifice" it was more of the things people just simply didn't care about. It wasn't game breaking not to mention not all the characters are lost. The popular ones will come back sometime down the road and they won't just be mop ups of old characters(like most of the MKD/MKA characters were). Not to mention they went to there original roots(that made it popular) and simply made it competitive(appeal to casual and hardcore fighting fans).

Back on topic. I think in DOA5 they nerf holds, and stuns enough. Not to mention you have unholdable stuns, and more guaranteed stuff. The stun game is what makes doa what it is. If you compare doa1-5 you will see how much they've sacrifice through the years. Especially with 5. But completely taking something out of the gameplay will make a huge difference. Stuns and holds will always be a big part of the game in DOA5 it definitely takes more skill to use. I'm a Lisa player and playing the stun game with her is pretty crappy.
Zack lost some key unholdables bro. I'm sorry though. I feel this is the next step. Get rid of holding out of stun. Holds are made for good reads, not a get of jail free card from eating a combo.( I already know your counter arugement I play Tina, so I know it's important to bait whiff holds) This will increase defensive play in future DOA games. I mean DOA popularity will go up if we take this new step. I know it's hard, but I think it's the best choice. Btw..Havik and Shujinko were pretty popular characters. They were not rush at all.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Zack lost some key unholdables bro. I'm sorry though. I feel this is the next step. Get rid of holding out of stun. Holds are made for good reads, not a get of jail free card from eating a combo.( I already know your counter arugement I play Tina, so I know it's important to bait whiff holds) This will increase defensive play in future DOA games. I mean DOA popularity will go up if we take this new step. I know it's hard, but I think it's the best choice. Btw..Havik and Shujinko were pretty popular characters. They were not rush at all.

No. DOA will get popular once a competitive scene is formed. Trying to change it into something it isn't is not going to change that. You're just going from making a game better to screwing it up completely. Work with what it is if you want to make a better game. Not make it what it isn't.

MasterHavik

No. DOA will get popular once a competitive scene is formed. Trying to change it into something it isn't is not going to change that. You're just going from making a game better to screwing it up completely. Work with what it is if you want to make a better game. Not make it what it isn't.
But feel like they are guessing...kind of odd though. Marvel is all one big guess. Ae is guess after another. SFXT more of the same...kind of hypocritical to call our game trash now when I think about it.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
There is competitive scene. It's just not as big as the other scenes right now. Needs more people supporting it.

@MasterHavik, Ed Boon went back to the way MK was played back when the 1st 4 were released. Those were the things that made MK9 popular & that's why it's popular today. MK was still popular when MKDA was released, but it began to get negativity because of the way the gameplay was set up. That's why when the others were released (MKD, MKA) everybody thought they were dying off. I'm a die hard MK fan. Fans stayed on Ed Boon for the longest on why they took away what made MK what it is today. So Ed Boon rebooted the entire franchise, drawing in the old 2D crowd back in. So in order for them to do that, they had to put THE most popular characters that made the franchise, with Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Kitana, Mileena, Jade Jax, Reptile, Shang Tsung etc being amount that top list. That's why the 2 you mentioned didn't make the cut. Just so happens that Quan Chi & Kenshi grew a big popularity when they were brought in.

Capcom did the same with SFIV. It had died down, went back to their roots to what made it what it was with extra new mechanics. That's why they made those changes.

My point is if they take away what you're talking about, don't you think that would take away from the crowd?

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
See think of it this way. People like me & you are lucky. Here's why: When Team Ninja started releasing footage of DOA5, they released the footage of the 1st 4 characters. After that, look what everybody did. "Where's Kasumi?!" "We want Kasumi!" "I can ONLY image what Kasumi looks like". Sure enough, she was the nxt character released. Then more people ran in saying "Where the hell's Zack?!" "Where's Zack! He's the man!" The thing is they listened to us. They know without those characters, this game wouldn't be the same. What would the game be like without Kasumi & Ayane? What would it be like without them? They're like the Ryu & Ken of SF, or you could say the Scorpion & Sub-Zero of MK. Without them, that takes a lot of the crowd away. Same with Zack. Ryu is popular regardless (NG). Same with the mechanics that made the game. Feel where I'm coming from?

MasterHavik

yeah I feel where you're coming from. I knew Zack was going to be in the game. I wasn't freaking out though.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD