Is the game slightly slower?

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Answer me this, how would the game be slower when the overall game has the same frame data as doa2-4?

AegisOrnus

I wouldn't say it's slower but... Well, the one thing I felt when playing DOA5 is that it felt like DOA before it went to 4. Upon first playing four, it was a little shocking that moves seemed to need faster inputs and that everything felt out-of-control and loose. Not sure what creates such a loose feeling but I guess you could compare it to how Virtua Fighter or Tekken feel. You're anchored to the environment and committed to your attacks in those games which gives the sense that your character has a presence and weight in the game's world and that you need to be a bit more meticulous in choosing attacks and how/when you input them. In DOA4, none of that seems to exist like it did in 1, 2, and 3. Essentially what's happened now is DOA5 is returning to that kind of solid, tight feel and that could be what translates as feeling slower.

That's what I'd like to say about it anyway.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
But that is not the question posed. Op wants to know if the game is slower than Doa4, and the answer is no. Fuller and smoother animation make it look slower in comparison to doa4's choppier, missing frame animation.

Blazeincarnated

I wouldn't say it's slower but... Well, the one thing I felt when playing DOA5 is that it felt like DOA before it went to 4. Upon first playing four, it was a little shocking that moves seemed to need faster inputs and that everything felt out-of-control and loose. Not sure what creates such a loose feeling but I guess you could compare it to how Virtua Fighter or Tekken feel. You're anchored to the environment and committed to your attacks in those games which gives the sense that your character has a presence and weight in the game's world and that you need to be a bit more meticulous in choosing attacks and how/when you input them. In DOA4, none of that seems to exist like it did in 1, 2, and 3. Essentially what's happened now is DOA5 is returning to that kind of solid, tight feel and that could be what translates as feeling slower.

That's what I'd like to say about it anyway.
This is what I was saying to virtuaPAI...

DR2K

But that is not the question posed. Op wants to know if the game is slower than Doa4, and the answer is no. Fuller and smoother animation make it look slower in comparison to doa4's choppier, missing frame animation.

I know, I'm just joking about the fact that DOA5 is more of a 3D fighter with more movement options than foward and back.

MajesticBlue

When I actually got a chance to play the game, I thought the same thing at first. If I had to guess the changes to the buffering system make the game feel slower then it is. It gives the game the heavy solid feeling. That, combined with the animation changes should explain most of it.

Not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way but the game ran better on the 360 for me.

AegisOrnus

Not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way but the game ran better on the 360 for me.
Yeah, there was something really funky going on with the PS3 version. I assume it would be fixed come release.

What were you experiencing on the PS3 version? I felt the load times were much longer and there was some kind of input lag going on, like playing underwater.

AKNova7

A game can never be too fast , would only mean the faster I own scrubs like yourself.

A game can...never...be too fast. Your sarcasm almost got me there!

Answer me this, how would the game be slower when the overall game has the same frame data as doa2-4?

Because maybe the speed they're referring to has to do with the time between moves in a string hitting, IE: How fast a low follow-up would be after a first kick in a 3KK string that hits mid, low. Is all that the same too? Or maybe it could be that there's no apparent delay when blocking this kind of thing that makes the game seem slower because it's easier to react to?

I'm just throwing out possible reasons, not necessarily am I correct.

MajesticBlue

My friend told me he thinks it was the monitor setup. I guess it is possible. The only thing I noticed was the game felt a little sluggish. Then, I believe it was you who pointed out the longer loading times to me. Kinda weird since the PS3 is the console of choice.

AKNova7

My friend told me he thinks it was the monitor setup. I guess it is possible. The only thing I noticed was the game felt a little sluggish. Then, I believe it was you who pointed out the longer loading times to me. Kinda weird since the PS3 is the console of choice.

PS3 is not the console of choice for DOA in Team Ninja's eyes most likely. They've had a Xbox bond since 2001 if you remember. In addition, DOA is probably not optimized for HD Loading quite yet.

Raansu

PS3 is not the console of choice for DOA in Team Ninja's eyes most likely. They've had a Xbox bond since 2001 if you remember. In addition, DOA is probably not optimized for HD Loading quite yet.

According to DrDogg the PS3 is the lead development console.

Ooobe

The game runs at 60 fps, VPai is telling you that the same #f = the same portion of s, so the speed is the same.
The ''console of choice'' is not a reference to an emotional preference, but as Raansu re-iterates, the lead dev platform. <Though my impression is that Hayashi does prefer PS. The Xbox "bond" was really from a different team by the same name.>
Once the game is out, the platform versions will be ruthlessly compared to each other anyway, then you will have definitive performance data. Comparing load times and such for pre-release versions is premature.
I'm not saying your impressions aren't accurate <I haven't played the game, how could I?>, but that they don't necessarily mean anything, yet.

Brute

Standard Donor
That was because of Itagaki, primarily. Hayashi, TN's new head, seems to favor the PS3 with his NG: Sigma series, etc.

Anyway, I can't say for sure. It seems like juggles can last longer, which is something I'm conflicted on.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD