Kotaku: Hayashi and Shimbori comment about competitive play

In a recent article on Kotaku, Evan Narcisse asked Yohei Shimbori and Yosuke Hayashi about their thoughts of fighting games and competitive play. The responses were interesting. I've included the full article since honestly the article is so short that it really is just two quotes:

evo-crowd-2.png

Evan Narcisse said:
When I asked Team Ninja lead Yosuke Hayashi and Dead or Alive 5 director Yohei if they'd implemented any changes to the game specifically in anticipation of its reception by the fighting game community, they answered that that's not how they approach design. "We want to appeal to all levels of skill," said Shimbori. Right now, the dev team is working on game balance, he elaborated, to make DOA5 a fun game first. Shimbori mused that any adoption by the tournament scene comes later and emerges as a happy corollary to the enjoyment average players get.

I also asked the Team Ninja developers what they think separates the competitive tournament player from someone who just plays titles like DOA just for laughs. "In a way, the pro player is there to show off," Yosuke replied. "His skill comes from a lot of practice and dedication and the best platform to demonstrate that is in competition. A casual player just wants to have fun, but the pro wants to win against other players like himself to prove his devotion. Sometimes, it's ego involved, too, because you want everyone to know how good you are."

Source: Kotaku

OMGZ THE 4RUMS IZ CONTAMIMATED ?!?!

Tell me about it bro, I tried to have a respectful debate with my fellow members but that didn't go so well because I chose not to fly off the coo coo nest but to be civilized. Read the previous posts and you'll see just what I mean.

The removal of high wake up kicks in favor of having only low and mid wakeup kicks definitely makes the game more fun because it enforces the triangle system better IMO. With this implemented, the aggressor doesn't have to worry about going for a mid kick hold and getting hit with a high kick, and the person on the ground doesn't have to worry about going for a high kick and getting hit with a low attack. By taking unnecesary guesswork on both sides out of the equation on frequently occuring situations, they effectively make the game more enjoyable.

I don't need to read a book on playing fighting games. Is it really that fucking serious?

I own two "mooks" about Tekken. They're basically Japanese strategy guides full of frame data. In the days before instant information on the internet, these books were a must have for anyone who wanted to gain a high level of knowledge in Tekken.

The game will never be done if you gotta do all that. Also the game will not be fun.

This has already been stated once, but I guess it deserves repeating. Fun is a relative term. What is fun to you may not be fun to me.

Being the best I can be at a fighting game I enjoy is what makes that fighting game fun for me. Adding phallic items to custom characters is what's fun for some people in SC5, but I find it childish.

You cannot dictate what is and is not fun for anyone other than yourself.

the one flaw in your "pros have less ego" theory is Master.the dude signs his own dam post in big bold letters: MASTER lol

not to mention the ability to control ones ego doesnt mean you have less of one.thats up to the personality of the individual.

the one flaw in your "pros have less ego" theory is Master.the dude signs his own dam post in big bold letters: MASTER lol

not to mention the ability to control ones ego doesnt mean you have less of one.thats up to the personality of the individual.

And those "Pros" called him out on that plenty of times asking him not to do so...yesterday was the most recent...

Master has been doing that for so long it became a standard for his posts.

Which is why I said 99%

Notice how the majority of the community dislikes master?

I am convinced that by this point, Blaze is trolling.

Anyway, I first read this article on Eventhubs and the first thing that came to mind was the fact the level of discussion I see on FSD, as well as the documented communication between the DoA community and TN said otherwise about them not making competitive play their foremost priority.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD