Kotaku: Hayashi and Shimbori comment about competitive play

In a recent article on Kotaku, Evan Narcisse asked Yohei Shimbori and Yosuke Hayashi about their thoughts of fighting games and competitive play. The responses were interesting. I've included the full article since honestly the article is so short that it really is just two quotes:

evo-crowd-2.png

Evan Narcisse said:
When I asked Team Ninja lead Yosuke Hayashi and Dead or Alive 5 director Yohei if they'd implemented any changes to the game specifically in anticipation of its reception by the fighting game community, they answered that that's not how they approach design. "We want to appeal to all levels of skill," said Shimbori. Right now, the dev team is working on game balance, he elaborated, to make DOA5 a fun game first. Shimbori mused that any adoption by the tournament scene comes later and emerges as a happy corollary to the enjoyment average players get.

I also asked the Team Ninja developers what they think separates the competitive tournament player from someone who just plays titles like DOA just for laughs. "In a way, the pro player is there to show off," Yosuke replied. "His skill comes from a lot of practice and dedication and the best platform to demonstrate that is in competition. A casual player just wants to have fun, but the pro wants to win against other players like himself to prove his devotion. Sometimes, it's ego involved, too, because you want everyone to know how good you are."

Source: Kotaku

I am convinced that by this point, Blaze is trolling.

Anyway, I first read this article on Eventhubs and the first thing that came to mind was the fact the level of discussion I see on FSD, as well as the documented communication between the DoA community and TN said otherwise about them not making competitive play their foremost priority.

Within any massive body, there is conflict.

TK is pretty massive.

I am convinced that by this point, Blaze is trolling.

Anyway, I first read this article on Eventhubs and the first thing that came to mind was the fact the level of discussion I see on FSD, as well as the documented communication between the DoA community and TN said otherwise about them not making competitive play their foremost priority.

It's really just PR. They will say whatever they need to please both sides of the pendulum .

All this is Hayashi's fault, seriously.
The guy keeps fucking up. A casual player doesn't want to hear that the game is designed for people with learning disability. A casual player wants to hear that the game is "easy to get into yet hard to master, making the learning experience both FUN and COMPETITIVE at the same time."

THAT is the comment I personally would have gone for as a general outline of the game, which is not far from the truth.

Hayashi seriously needs to learn to do interviews right, or maybe OD on something or shoot himself in the head. (or both)

When you compare this to what the guys at Tekken say, they always go down the lines of "we're making a hardcore competitive game. and this is the game to buy" and they get nothing but praise.

Every time the game goes up a notch in people's eyes. That guy has to say something stupid and bring it down again. Its really irritating. Its comments like that that make me worried. I was on Kotaku where I first read the interview and the first comment was," I'm worried they're gonna screw this up like they did NG3." I had to jump in and defend it, and thankfully managed to turn the conversation around a bit.

but seriously, SHUT YO MOUTH HAYASHI! Let Shinbori do the talking!.. Its HIS project!

All this is Hayashi's fault, seriously.
The guy keeps fucking up. A casual player doesn't want to hear that the game is designed for people with learning disability. A casual player wants to hear that the game is "easy to get into yet hard to master, making the learning experience both FUN and COMPETITIVE at the same time."

THAT is the comment I personally would have gone for as a general outline of the game, which is not far from the truth.

Hayashi seriously needs to learn to do interviews right, or maybe OD on something or shoot himself in the head. (or both)

When you compare this to what the guys at Tekken say, they always go down the lines of "we're making a hardcore competitive game. and this is the game to buy" and they get nothing but praise.

Every time the game goes up a notch in people's eyes. That guy has to say something stupid and bring it down again. Its really irritating. Its comments like that that make me worried. I was on Kotaku where I first read the interview and the first comment was," I'm worried they're gonna screw this up like they did NG3." I had to jump in and defend it, and thankfully managed to turn the conversation around a bit.

but seriously, SHUT YO MOUTH HAYASHI! Let Shinbori do the talking!.. Its HIS project!
Why is Hayashi the enemy? He didnt do well on NG3 so what, we're all human.

Why is Hayashi the enemy? He didnt do well on NG3 so what, we're all human.

What Awesmic said,
I don't hate him. He just needs to shut up.

I mean sites like this, and a lot of video footage (both official and unofficial), and the tournament events, all that is designed in a way to indirectly attract a more competitive crowd and appeal to casuals at the same time.

saying stupid comments like that, especially considering his rank in team ninja, makes all the hard work seem meaningless. It makes hardcore players look down on the game, and in a way it belittles casual players implying that they're stupid.

If you compare what he says to Shinbori's comments, you will notice a totally different vibe.

Despite Itagaki screwing us all over with a shit game called DOA4, I kinda miss his interviews. At least he knew what to say. And at least he had a good streak before the company turned on him with DOAs 1-3.1 and Ninja Gaiden. Hell, even beach volleyball was fun.

Hayashi is yet to please. Although, for the record, I absolutely loved Metroid: other M.

I don't need to read a book on playing fighting games. Is it really that fucking serious?

It's really not, but then you're also the guy who apparently doesn't like the idea of losing to somebody who worked harder to get better at the game. Which makes me think you take yourself too seriously and you aren't taking the game seriously enough.

It's really not, but then you're also the guy who apparently doesn't like the idea of losing to somebody who worked harder to get better at the game. Which makes me think you take yourself too seriously and you aren't taking the game seriously enough.
Who ever said I don't take the game seriously. Im am VERY competitive at fighting games. I take this game more serious than ever.

pro players have spent all that time learning to appreciate all the finer details of the game in question. it makes them better than casuals. fact. in a fight, if they win its because they earned it. pros are not keeping casuals down, they just rise above them. if you dont like this... you are butthurt... im sorry, but you are. im nowhere near pro, but i have not considered myself casual since 7 years ago

I don't know about you guys, but just about everything I asked for in those surveys about the game showed up in the E3 build. Which makes these mixed messages coming from TN disapointing. Still catering to the casuals? No DLC to balance if exploits are found? They have a lot riding in this game and a lot to live up to. I hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD