DOA5LR Let's talk about the Story Mode

Chapstick

And yeah, Christie lost in every fight. Once, twice, okay. But after I see her third and fourth loss, it's like she's a total dumbfuck who should just go home and find another job.
tumblr_np71bhTzUK1rje51ao1_400.gif

tumblr_np71bhTzUK1rje51ao2_540.gif

tumblr_np71bhTzUK1rje51ao3_400.gif

P2p1mbs

1. What was the weakest character development ?

brad; his motivation for showing up was already accomplished last game, his appearance in the story felt unnecessary especially since zack fills the comic relief role better. his chapter even points out that his appearance is unexplained

2. On the opposite, what was the most climactic scene ?

lisa's death

3. What was the funniest scene ?

ending of bass's chapter; i found it very cute

4. Which scene was too akward or "wtf" to watch ?

everything involving eliot interacting with the female cast

4. Did you like the soundtrack ?

its fine, stage track are ok but the character specific tracks are better

5. How would you rate the story overall ? (out of 10)

i would rate the base game 7 due to having tutorials to encourage further play. ultimate and last round would be 5 for removing tutorials

6. Do you miss the old type of Story Mode (DOA2-DOA4) ?

this is better but removing the tutorials made the whole mode feel pointless

7. Kokoro : is she a misunderstood genius or a Slowpoke ?

...she ...just ...sloooooooooooooooooooow

8. What did Christie mean by "looking for a real man" ?

she was clearly just saying that to sound seductive

9. Do you think some scenes were referencing other medias ?

havent noticed, i only ever finished story mode once ever

Chapstick

i would rate the base game 7 due to having tutorials to encourage further play. ultimate and last round would be 5 for removing tutorials
I'm surprised to see someone say this because I remember everyone saying they hated the tutorials in story mode and they were sloppily added in. Which is part of why they pulled it and added the tutorial mode that goes more in depth and is a lot less annoying in 5U.

LarsMasters

Feels like Rig might be pulled off a bit of Izaya & Gordeau, while Christie is Chaos to Rig's Gordeau in DOA6.

Stories is a bit good. However:
* No Characters Voice Selection on individual characters. In fact, VF characters has no exclusive 2nd language voice for this game only
* No Expanded/Updated storyline after having a new characters in a recent updated titles.

Last edited:

David Gregg

Lisa. She redeemed herself in 4 sort of and now she's evil again? Doesn't even know Project Episolon was being restarted yet she's the scientist working on it? Dumb...

Lisa's death

Salaryman grabbing Jann's chest.

A lot of Kasumi's English dialogue at least early on in the story was really cringe-worthy. It sounded so off.

In the Story? Hated it.

5/10. It was a mess that set a lot of characters back a step in their development but there were many funny moments.

Yes. Arcade style with individual endings. Everyone was treated equally as well.

7. Kokoro : is she a misunderstood genius or a Slowpoke?
Genius in what category?!

Assassins get lonely too sometimes...

Can't think of any off the top of my head.

KwonJigglypuff

Lisa. She redeemed herself in 4 sort of and now she's evil again? Doesn't even know Project Episolon was being restarted yet she's the scientist working on it? Dumb...

Genius in what category?!.

Genius is probably a bit too strong, but I was wondering if she was trolling Jann Lee or simply too slow to get the nunchaku.

Regarging Lisa, I think TN tried to introduce her a scientist who is ready to make discoveries at any cost. She's not evil, she just happens to work for the bad company. But yeah, it was a bit sloppy.
Or maybe she was working in the shadow, in her office, and wasn't aware of what was happening with Hayate's body. Hence her reaction.
Maybe Ms. Monday is behind all of this...

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor

Lisa's death

Salaryman grabbing Jann's chest.

A lot of Kasumi's English dialogue at least early on in the story was really cringe-worthy. It sounded so off.

In the Story? Hated it.

5/10. It was a mess that set a lot of characters back a step in their development but there were many funny moments.

Yes. Arcade style with individual endings. Everyone was treated equally as well.

Genius in what category?!

Assassins get lonely too sometimes...

Can't think of any off the top of my head.
Kasumi was so awkward to listen to at the beginning. Especially the "Ayane...I don't want to fight you, but I must!"
ff4cd9c29e99bff4a37965dbfae450c4.287x162x23.gif

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I think all the clones are a little... slow tbh
Truthfully, I get that vibe from them as well. False Kasumi's dialogue in the story was not very stimulating, and her conversations seemed to go nowhere and felt fairly unnatural. The part where she interacted with Rig and Lisa kinda confused me:
Kasumi:I'm looking for Alpha 152...but I bet you already know.(Know what exactly? Elaborate Kasumi...)
Lisa: Whatever do you mean?(Even Lisa doesn't get it)
-Fight intros begin-
Lisa: You really want to fight this badly?
Kasumi: I can't avoid this fight! (....The hell?)
Rig was even worse...
Rig:Ya need somethin'?
Kasumi: I'm looking for Alpha 152...
Rig: And you are?
Kasumi:Maybe I should go...there's no point asking you.(Why are you leaving? He just asked you a simple question)
And then when he grabs her arm, she looks around like a scared puppy dog.

Chapstick

Truthfully, I get that vibe from them as well. False Kasumi's dialogue in the story was not very stimulating, and her conversations seemed to go nowhere and felt fairly unnatural. The part where she interacted with Rig and Lisa kinda confused me:
Kasumi:I'm looking for Alpha 152...but I bet you already know.(Know what exactly? Elaborate Kasumi...)
Lisa: Whatever do you mean?(Even Lisa doesn't get it)
-Fight intros begin-
Lisa: You really want to fight this badly?
Kasumi: I can't avoid this fight! (....The hell?)
Rig was even worse...
Rig:Ya need somethin'?
Kasumi: I'm looking for Alpha 152...
Rig: And you are?
Kasumi:Maybe I should go...there's no point asking you.(Why are you leaving? He just asked you a simple question)
And then when he grabs her arm, she looks around like a scared puppy dog.
The false Kasumi was really dramatic.

FK: *BURSTS INTO HELENA'S OFFICE* WHERE IS ALPHA? TELL ME HELENA!!!
Helena: um-
FK: UGH
tumblr_n38mh0uCfC1rje51ao1_400.gif

They all seem to have the mental capacity of children, Kasumi Alpha in particular. Like their bodies mature faster than their brains in the cloning process or something.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The false Kasumi was really dramatic.

FK: *BURSTS INTO HELENA'S OFFICE* WHERE IS ALPHA? TELL ME HELENA!!!
Helena: um-
FK: UGH
tumblr_n38mh0uCfC1rje51ao1_400.gif

They all seem to have the mental capacity of children, Kasumi Alpha in particular. Like their bodies mature faster than their brains in the cloning process or something.
I think that actually happens. Victor Donovan realistically wanted only Kasumi's fight data and her physical appearance and memories. I don't think he cared necessarily for transmitting her knowledge and maturity, and even False Kasumi was two years behind the true Kasumi in terms of maturity and aggresion. Kinda like this little exchange:
*Kasumi struts to where Christie is*
Christie: Stop right there!(Walks to Kasumi)
I can't let you go any further...
Kasumi: Stands there for a second, working up her aggresion) Then I'll just FIGHT my way through!
That was hands down my favorite part in Story mode, Kasumi had matured so much, and she wasn't backing down anymore. My heart skipped a beat at that scene...♡_♡

HHH816

it make sense, it's a clone right..so it's a bit dumb

like arnie went to the bar naked and started asking the bikers for cloth

Lorenzo Buti

I think that Dead or Alive 5's Story Mode is a complete waste and pointless chore. I absolutely hate how they ruin some of the characters, like they wrote Kokoro's Story rather poorly. She doesn't know any of those guys she meets and feels especially out of place. Only one she knows is her sister and mother. And even for Leifang, she went from a strong woman and competent fighter who was trying to prove to that Jann Lee to some bland mousy school girl type whenever she saw him. And this story divides in two, Jann Lee wins the tournament and the ninjas such as Kasumi, Ayane, and Ryu Hayabusa plan to stop Donovan's Project M.I.S.T and then an explosion occurs killing off Lisa! That's it! There's nothing that interests me in Story Mode. Because half the time, they never explain what happens after you fought the opponent, there's like no cutscene sometimes. But other than that, I wish they could've had that character select screen like in other DOA games for the fifth's Story Mode rather than making a timeline out of that one. In conclusion, Dead or Alive 5 has awesome fighting gameplay and better designs but with a rather poor story.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I think that Dead or Alive 5's Story Mode is a complete waste and pointless chore. I absolutely hate how they ruin some of the characters, like they wrote Kokoro's Story rather poorly. She doesn't know any of those guys she meets and feels especially out of place. Only one she knows is her sister and mother. And even for Leifang, she went from a strong woman and competent fighter who was trying to prove to that Jann Lee to some bland mousy school girl type whenever she saw him. And this story divides in two, Jann Lee wins the tournament and the ninjas such as Kasumi, Ayane, and Ryu Hayabusa plan to stop Donovan's Project M.I.S.T and then an explosion occurs killing off Lisa! That's it! There's nothing that interests me in Story Mode. Because half the time, they never explain what happens after you fought the opponent, there's like no cutscene sometimes. But other than that, I wish they could've had that character select screen like in other DOA games for the fifth's Story Mode rather than making a timeline out of that one. In conclusion, Dead or Alive 5 has awesome fighting gameplay and better designs but with a rather poor story.
Kokoro's story actually makes sense since she was sheltered by her mother Miyako. She really doesn't know anyone in the DOA universe which is why she seems so awkward and around people like Jann Lee

Lorenzo Buti

Kokoro's story actually makes sense since she was sheltered by her mother Miyako. She really doesn't know anyone in the DOA universe which is why she seems so awkward and around people like Jann Lee
I'm not buying your own opinion because Kokoro was suppose to first only meet with her sister Helena in her own Story Mode. She doesn't even need to have her own story mode so they would've cut it, I mean having to fight a fighter from another fighting game is completely out of place.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD