DOA5LR Let's talk about the Story Mode

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'm not buying your own opinion because Kokoro was suppose to first only meet with her sister Helena in her own Story Mode. She doesn't even need to have her own story mode so they would've cut it, I mean having to fight a fighter from another fighting game is definitely out of place.
Excuse me??? It's not my own opinion, everyone who plays DOA knows good and well that Kokoro was sheltered, she has no connection with anyone, the only time she met someone before DOA4 was in DOA3 where she saw a sick Kasumi passed out on the road dressed as a schoolgirl, then she got in a fight and lost to ayane shortly afterwards. In DOA4, she still doesn't know anyone and that was her first time meeting Helena, and even then they weren't properly introduced, Kokoro herself even refers to her as that "lady from the tournament". Jann Lee didn't know her either, he basically was using nunchaku and she walks in and he just chucks them at her, how would you react in that situation if a stranger just throws an unknown weapon at you expecting a kata? XD

Regardless on how her chapter was handled, it is was it is, she didn't know anyone which is why she seemed out of place, and you gotta remember that Kokoro is a nadeshiko in personality, she can't help seeming out of place since she is soft in personality and well mannered, it comes with the territory especially since she's a fighter. If TN had made an exception and suddenly made it so she knew a bunch of people, the chapter wouldn't make since because she had no connection with any of the cast in the prior tourneys.

And her sparring with akira wasn't out of place, he's a guest and is implied to exist in the same universe, she was just practicing her style when he suddenly shows up and shows off his more advanced style, and they spar as a friendly way to communicate through their moves and different techniques.

Last edited:

Lorenzo Buti

Excuse me??? It's not my own opinion, everyone who plays DOA knows good and well that Kokoro was sheltered, she has no connection with anyone, the only time she met someone before DOA4 was in DOA3 where she saw a sick Kasumi passed out on the road dressed as a schoolgirl, then she got in a fight and lost to ayane shortly afterwards. In DOA4, she still doesn't know anyone and that was her first time meeting Helena, and even then they weren't properly introduced, Kokoro herself even refers to her as that "lady from the tournament". Jann Lee didn't know her either, he basically was using nunchaku and she walks in and he just chucks them at her, how would you react in that situation if a stranger just throws an unknown weapon at you expecting a kata? XD

Regardless on how her chapter was handled, it is was it is, she didn't know anyone which is why she seemed out of place, and you gotta remember that Kokoro is a nadeshiko in personality, she can't help seeming out of place since she is soft in personality and well mannered, it comes with the territory especially since she's a fighter. If TN had made an exception and suddenly made it so she knew a bunch of people, the chapter wouldn't make since because she had no connection with any of the cast in the prior tourneys.

And her sparring with akira wasn't out of place, he's a guest and is implied to exist in the same universe, she was just practicing her style when he suddenly shows up and shows off his more advanced style, and they spar as a friendly way to communicate through their moves and different techniques.
Well that's for you to say, Fifth game's chapter still sucks to me. I'm just hoping they could've made Kokoro know a few more girls like maybe Honoka or NyoTengu, I know they're not really part of the story mode but still though. In a Tag Match, Christie actually calls out Kokoro's name since she knows her sister was Helena Douglas. Kinda awkward that they don't have an Intro or Outro, but I just wish they did though.

DedUp

I've never look too critically at stories in video games so my opinion may be in the minority. I personally don't like the type of story modes that we see in fighting games like DOA5, MK9 & X, SF5, etc... Sure you get to know the canon of whats happening in the game but I find that once you go through them you never touch the mode again.

I actually prefer the way story mode is handled in KOF14 with just a normal random arcade ladder, some cutscenes for the boss fights and an ending. The thing I particularly like about it is that when two characters who are related story wise fight, there is a short cutscene of dialogue between the two. Since your opponents are random you may find different cutscenes on subsequent playthroughs with the same character. It would have been nice if there were also cutscenes when you beat those particular fights and the cutscenes themselves were a little more elaborate than the talking heads we got but it doesn't seem like it was a high budget game in the first place. I think there were a few other fighting games in the past that had a similar kind of story mode but I believe those fights were fixed for each character as opposed to randomly happening.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD