DOA5U "Lisa, it's your birthday!" DOA5U Lisa General Discussion Thread

Batcommander

I can't get the timing of the dejavu's 3rd part down, how do you guys get that 360 in time?
Honestly, it's just practice.

When it says "combo throw" under your lifebar, those are cues for when to input the command. You don't necessarily have to mash the 360 either, just one 360 motion will do.

AkaShocka

Honestly, it's just practice.

When it says "combo throw" under your lifebar, those are cues for when to input the command. You don't necessarily have to mash the 360 either, just one 360 motion will do.
Actually I do some very different. I do the 1st two parts when it says "combo trow" but I start doing the 360 right after the double direction input. Since I do half circles pretty slow I start it early, and to me when I do the early 360 and hit T when it says combo throw. So the time between the 64 and 360 I'm already forming the 360 and hit T when it says combo throw
Does that make any sense to you? I can tell your going to be like "Whaaaa?" XD

when do you use her normal launchers? like 33P and 33K? do you use them as whiff punisher? or is there some move that can let you use them from stuns?

btw, are the combos in her combo challenge section worth learning? or should I stick to the stuff posted here? I know that for some characters, the combo challenge don't teach any useful stuff.

looking through lisa's in game combo challenge right now, and the 1st few throw mix up don't look like combos at all..

Last edited:

Gruff757

Standard Donor
when do you use her normal launchers? like 33P and 33K? do you use them as whiff punisher? or is there some move that can let you use them from stuns?

btw, are the combos in her combo challenge section worth learning? or should I stick to the stuff posted here? I know that for some characters, the combo challenge don't teach any useful stuff.

looking through lisa's in game combo challenge right now, and the 1st few throw mix up don't look like combos at all..
They dont lol

ailingeternity

Most combo challenges are BS and don't give the most optimal damage output, Lisa is no exception. If you're having trouble with some of the combos listed in the threads use them for now as a guideline but try not to base your game too much around them.

Outside of the stun game none of Lisa's launchers have any particular benefits, her best launcher is BT :4::P: since it crushes highs, from this it will often be used in the stun game and has potential to land as a counter hit launcher when she's given advantage, her other launchers like :3::3::P: and :3::3::K: can offer mixup in the stun game but there are better options for 50/50's now that her juggles have been slightly nerfed. :3::3::P: has potential to be used as a whiff punisher but as it's i21 you won't land it too often, stick with :236::P:, :6::P: or even :3::K: instead.

As for Deja Vu the easiest and best way imo is to use the joystick on your controller (I'm assuming that's what you're using). After performing :426::h::+::P: you can literally keep doing 360 motions then pressing :h::+::P: when you need to, it's piss easy when you have this down, the exact same thing works for Hayabusa's Izuna Drop.

it seems to be that lisa should try to go backturned often, but are there moves in front turned that are as good as her backturned moves? what are her best ways to enter back turned? I tried to use 3k4 but it's a really slow move.

btw, can you do her command throws from back turned? you mentioned of mixing up djvu with BT 4P, but she's back turned, will rotating the stick half circle allow her do that command throw from back turned? what about shooting star press?

how come lisa doesn't have a ground throw like most grapplers in the game? I hope she gets one

Last edited:

Batcommander

As for Deja Vu the easiest and best way imo is to use the joystick on your controller (I'm assuming that's what you're using). After performing :426::h::+::P: you can literally keep doing 360 motions then pressing :h::+::P: when you need to, it's piss easy when you have this down, the exact same thing works for Hayabusa's Izuna Drop.

that is so funny because that is exactly how i used to do it back on the 360 for DOA4 lol. But since i have ps3 now, i find it is easier for me to just use dpad.

it seems to be that lisa should try to go backturned often, but are there moves in front turned that are as good as her backturned moves? what are her best ways to enter back turned? I tried to use 3k4 but it's a really slow move.

btw, can you do her command throws from back turned? you mentioned of mixing up djvu with BT 4P, but she's back turned, will rotating the stick half circle allow her do that command throw from back turned? what about shooting star press?

how come lisa doesn't have a ground throw like most grapplers in the game? I hope she gets one
i remember wondering why Lisa didn't have a ground throw back in DOA4 too. She was such an incomplete, half assed character back then, le sigh. I don't think she needs any tbh, the ground game is not her forte, she has better zoning than all the other grapplers.

Practical ways to get into BT are PP4, 8P, and 1PP, but that is throw punishable on block so be careful. Here's some pretty basic combos to play around with, you can vary it up once you become more comfortable:

CH :1::P::P:(goes to BT)/ CH :1::P::K: , :P::P:/:P::P::4:(puts you in BT), critical burst depending on what stance you're in

does lisa have any offensive holds? how exactly do they beat out attacks?

so does offensive hold block certain attacks then throw the opponent? like how clark in kof could eat a punch or 2 before grabbing the guy?

are the the offensive holds useful? I didn't see any one suggesting them as top 10 moves.

---

limbo stun is a move that turns your opponent around right? I recall lisa has a kick that does this stun, but I couldn't find any followup for this kick, what do you do that's guaranteed after this stun?

Batcommander

does lisa have any offensive holds? how exactly do they beat out attacks?

so does offensive hold block certain attacks then throw the opponent? like how clark in kof could eat a punch or 2 before grabbing the guy?

are the the offensive holds useful? I didn't see any one suggesting them as top 10 moves.

---

limbo stun is a move that turns your opponent around right? I recall lisa has a kick that does this stun, but I couldn't find any followup for this kick, what do you do that's guaranteed after this stun?

Offensive holds are like defensive holds--they'll catch any attack as long as it's not crouching or airborn. However, they are beaten by throws(just like defensive holds). Hi-Counter damage occurs when you nab someone while they're attacking.

They are usually weaker than normal throws, and require either good spacing to use or frame advantage to setup. @ailingeternity wrote some very good setups for OH's earlier in the thread. I don't think they're essential to gameplay, but they can definitely enhance it if used wisely.

For me, my favorite OH is the jumping one (8T) because it can catch people tech rolling, rising, and will jump over an opponent trying to delay their wakeup kick. Also, it completely avoids mid wakeup kick if used at the right time.

The other ones are situational, and up to you how you want to use them. Low OH (3T, T) is good for catching people that like using low attacks a lot, and you get good damage from it if you juggle successfully.

ailingeternity

I tried to use 3k4 but it's a really slow move.
:3::K::4: is one of her better moves for entering BT and as a i15 start-up is actually not too bad in terms of speed, it's more of a spacing tool and has potential to crush lows, it's good to throw out now and again since it's -3, completely safe. In fact if you're using :3::K: at all, always go into BT because of it's superior safety.

Yes you can buffer Deja Vu from BT and in most cases you'll want to use this for most BT 50/50's along with BT :4::P: during the stun game for optimum damage output. :214::h::+::P: can also be done from BT, but that requires a slightly slower directional input so she effectively exits BT in order for the input to register as a front facing throw, otherwise you'll end up throwing out BT :4::h::+::P: most of the time.

Lisa has two limbo stuns, :6::6::P::P: in which both Lisa and the opponent have to be in closed stance (open and closed stance are the instances when a character's body is facing the screen (open stance) and when their back is facing the screen (closed stance)), and :236::K: on BT opponents. She gets a free :236::K: if she lands :6::6::P::P:'s limbo stun (double limbo stun!), from here go into BT (:236::K::4:) and launch with BT :4::P: you get the best juggles from it.

AkaShocka

Hey, I made some Powerlauncher combos.

PL - BT :4::P: - :4::P::K: - :4::P::K::K: (I just use :8::P: to get into BT but I think running underneath might work, haven't tried it though) *tested on Akira*

PL - BT :4::P: - :4::P::K: - :7::K: CAR :P::+::K: *tested on Akira*

PL - BT :4::P: - :4::P::K: air throw. *tested on Akira*

I'm sure there are more and I know you guys have come up with some but these are just a few that I did.

I also made a normal-not-too-much combo on Alpha after burst.
Burst - :3::3::P: - :4::P::K: - :4::P::K: - :6::K::K:
Those are pretty much normal combos that can be done after a burst and :3::3::P: (aside the one I made for Alpha). I just made these few PL combos to test BT :4::P:.

in the breakdown thread, it mentioned that f+k turns opponent around, but which attacks could reach the opponent before the stun ends? 1p could reach it, but its startup frame has been changed right?

ailingeternity

You can slow escape the stun before anything connects :1::P: included, nothing is guaranteed after it landing, if you manage to get :1::P::P: after it, you get a free launch with BT :7::K:, you can juggle for some sick damage afterwards.

hey just wondering, how exactly do I play the stun game? which move contribute to which stun? there are 3 levels of stun, but each move only provides enough recovery time to link specific movies to build up to level 3. I know each character is different, but all those large move lists don't even list which move provides which stun, and I can't see how I can build a critical burst combo.

for example, 66PP 3K will only let me critical burst if I go to BT with 3K4 then 7P, and the timing is already difficult with slow escape. if I try to do 66PP 3K then 236K, it won't even connect.

if there a list on how much stun each move provides or some general guide line on setting up stuns with lisa?
----
is there a way to make my character go into knockdown state? I want to see how her special wakeup kick works.
----
btw, why doesn't this game let you do shortcuts like street fighter games? djvu could be so much easier if the 267 shortcut is allowed...

Last edited:

Gruff757

Standard Donor
Does Lisa have any Offensive holds he asks...Lisa is the OH QUEEN man.

In other news, Try using :9::K: one wakeups in general, not only when you think that they will do low wakeup. Reason being, if they knock you out of the air it may be counter hit, sometimes it will just be normal, but it will put you on the ground rather than in stun, giving you the benefit of threatening the opponent with a wakeup if they get too crazy. Don't just stay on the ground every time, just make the opponent respect your options while knocked down. Another reason to use it is because it actually has a chance to stuff mid wakeups along with crushing low wakeups, giving you the sitdown stun.

Btw here's a little neat gimmick I just realized you could do:

(Back to the wall) :4::4::T:, (Freestep):8:, :4::T: :lisa:

ailingeternity

hey just wondering, how exactly do I play the stun game? which move contribute to which stun? there are 3 levels of stun, but each move only provides enough recovery time to link specific movies to build up to level 3. I know each character is different, but all those large move lists don't even list which move provides which stun, and I can't see how I can build a critical burst combo.

for example, 66PP 3K will only let me critical burst if I go to BT with 3K4 then 7P, and the timing is already difficult with slow escape. if I try to do 66PP 3K then 236K, it won't even connect.

if there a list on how much stun each move provides or some general guide line on setting up stuns with lisa?
----
is there a way to make my character go into knockdown state? I want to see how her special wakeup kick works.
----
btw, why doesn't this game let you do shortcuts like street fighter games? djvu could be so much easier if the 267 shortcut is allowed...
You're looking for the advantage critical stuns provide, forget the type of stun, there are so many, the only notable stuns are a limbo stun which grants a free launcher and sit down stuns which offer guaranteed advantage. The levels of stun determine launch height when launchers are used in that specific moment of advantage for a follow up juggle, some characters thrive off this better than others, as well as when you can use Critical Burst, most moves used after a level 3 stun is achieved (which is the only instance you can use Critical Burst) will force a knockdown or major pushback causing a neutral situation. Experiment with the critical stuns and mix up your options with what you can use, not all moves can be linked together after a critical stun but there is still a lot of fluidity with this which is where defensive holds (DOA's staple countering system) and slow escaping comes in as an option to turn the tides when constant pressure is used against you. As for a list of stuns, it would take an extremely long time for the community to compile something right now and official sources don't have any, it's a lot easier to go into training mode and find out for yourself, I assume you're aware of how advantage and disadvantage works, the move details in training mode will show you this, setting the stagger escape option to 'fastest' will show you what advantage is guaranteed from her critical stuns when slow escaped which in turn helps with what moves you can use after to start your combo game. As for seeing Lisa's special wakeup, she has to be knocked down on her back with her feet facing towards the opponent (it's situational with every character) and the input is :h::+::K:, I believe it's a 3 in 1 NC can't remember, it's a great move when in a pinch. If you want to see it get the computer to put you into a knockdown state that puts her in this position. Ah shortcuts, remember DOA has it's own input registry and different buffering system same as with any fighting game, that shortcut does sounds very handy though. Deja Vu is EASY when you snap into the groove of it, keep practicing using the method I mentioned earlier you'll get it.

Hope that helps :)

the thing is I don't know how to reach critical burst because only certain moves give lv 2 while only certain moves carries the stun to lv 3

if my opponent is at lv 2 stun, I may want to bring him to lv 3 stun, but I don't know which move gives me lv 3.

ailingeternity

the thing is I don't know how to reach critical burst because only certain moves give lv 2 while only certain moves carries the stun to lv 3

if my opponent is at lv 2 stun, I may want to bring him to lv 3 stun, but I don't know which move gives me lv 3.
Let me break it down a little easier for you, in DOA the stun system has a threshold of how many moves you can use before you achieve the ability to use a Critical Burst after landing a critical stun, you will notice the opponents health bar will have a flashing white section, this is the threshold. Certain critical stuns will fill the threshold meter, causing any critical stun will result in a lv.1 critical stun, using ANY strike that is not a knockdown or a launcher will allow you to continue to fill the meter from which you'll eventually reach lv.2 then lv.3. It all depends on what moves you use to maximize the threshold meter since certain moves fill the threshold varyingly, typically, weaker moves (like jabs or :P:) seem to fill the threshold a lot less than what say :6::6::P::P: would, which fills it much more, in training mode the move details will specify when a lv.3 critical stun combo is in effect.

Check out this link and go to 1:51 for an idea of what you can use, this video is from vanilla so not everything may work in DOA5U but you can get a good idea of what her Critical Burst setups are like.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD