DOA5U "Lisa, it's your birthday!" DOA5U Lisa General Discussion Thread

Batcommander

:H+K::4: Needs to happen :oops:
it has a perfect animation to go into BT
PLUS it would make the move more viable because it would more than likely be even more plus frames when it hits and you go into BT, hell it might even become a bit safer on block like the other moves.
i like that idea, i would actually use that move more often if you could do that. It would work nicely with the rest of BT arsenal, and would be great for Sidestep K.

If her BT game was to be explored more however I think what would be great is a steppable sit-down stun that looks like a backwards somersault (BT :8::K: input?), is unsafe (-9 maybe?) but grants sit-down stun on NH and guarantees at the least a free :3::3::K:, a BT transition could be included but have more recovery.

The flip kick from :1::K::K::K:!! :)

On another note, do you guys think TN will nerf :4::4::F+P: in the future? Despite the fact this move is very very good atm, i can't help but feel it is also a complete oversight on TN's part, the way Rachel pre-nerf stomp was. I haven't checked but what are the damage values on other grappler i6 throws? This move makes :6::F+P: even more redundant now, and can get even more damage than deja vu as an i11 punish...

If they nerfed it to i11, it would still be good imo, but they should buff :6::F+P: to compensate.

:6::4::F+P:, on the other hand . . . something needs to be done for this move. I was thinking they could make it an i16 OH but then it would be competing with :6::6::F+P: . . .

bah! too many ideas in my head atm lol

ailingeternity

On another note, do you guys think TN will nerf :4::4::F+P: in the future? Despite the fact this move is very very good atm, i can't help but feel it is also a complete oversight on TN's part, the way Rachel pre-nerf stomp was. I haven't checked but what are the damage values on other grappler i6 throws? This move makes :6::F+P: even more redundant now, and can get even more damage than deja vu as an i11 punish...

If they nerfed it to i11, it would still be good imo, but they should buff :6::F+P: to compensate.

:6::4::F+P:, on the other hand . . . something needs to be done for this move. I was thinking they could make it an i16 OH but then it would be competing with :6::6::F+P: . . .

bah! too many ideas in my head atm lol
Yes they will, for a 6 frame throw it's too abusable. It needs to go back to how it was in vanilla with the extra wall damage, it should be a situational throw that grants more reward in specific situations as she already has :6::F::+::P: to punish with. On the downside this takes one of her most redeeming tools away from her since she has to play much more defensively now. She needs 2 things that will reverse her playstyle and make her viable, the old :1::P: and :1::K: from DOA4. Balance restored.

Batcommander

Yes they will, for a 6 frame throw it's too abusable. It needs to go back to how it was in vanilla with the extra wall damage, it should be a situational throw that grants more reward in specific situations as she already has :6::F::+::P: to punish with. On the downside this takes one of her most redeeming tools away from her since she has to play much more defensively now. She needs 2 things that will reverse her playstyle and make her viable, the old :1::P: and :1::K: from DOA4. Balance restored.
You don't think Lisa is viable now, tho? I think she is solid mid tier tbh, but then again, i dont get to fight high level players that use Gen Fu, ayane, Sarah, etc. Not sure how she fares against people at the top, but she seems like she has decent enough tools.

I don't really mind her low game being shit, i want people to hold high and mid, not low. And i dont think we'll ever get :1::P: back, as much as we all miss it.

Also, was :1::P: any different in 4? I dont remember using the followup at all tbh, did it have less recovery back then as a standalone move?

ailingeternity

You don't think Lisa is viable now, tho? I think she is solid mid tier tbh, but then again, i dont get to fight high level players that use Gen Fu, ayane, Sarah, etc. Not sure how she fares against people at the top, but she seems like she has decent enough tools.

I don't really mind her low game being shit, i want people to hold high and mid, not low. And i dont think we'll ever get :1::P: back, as much as we all miss it.

Also, was :1::P: any different in 4? I dont remember using the followup at all tbh, did it have less recovery back then as a standalone move?
Unfortunately no I don't think she is. Lisa is stuck in a huge limbo, she has all these great tools but will hardly get the chance to use them to great effect. Without a viable low she has to rely on a strong mid/throw mixup which is massively risky in DOA because of it's triangle system and counter hit hunting. Lisa has always been a high risk character but her reward opportunities are few, her options put her on the line a lot of getting hi-countered. She has too many offensive holds that are crushable and have huge recovery and offer little damage (:3::h::+::P: is an exception). Deja Vu needs to be used situationally from which she already has trouble opening up the stun game to force a 50/50 to use it in the 1st place. Also :4::4::h::+::P: should only be used as a punishing throw from which it's benefits differ from character to character and requires Lisa be defensive in order for her to use it, most of the time having to risk herself in a guessing game situation so you have to know the frame data to an extent of your matchup. A turtler can easily defend against her offensive decisions she has to make and just stand and block all day, from which they then start their pressure game after gaining advantage because she has no low or decent mid-low mixups. It's quite unfair in my experiences how hard she has to work to get damage at the moment. If she doesn't gain a viable low in the future then we atleast need more BT options that are safe or give her +1/+2 on block so it's not a constant pendulum of her being infinitely passive/aggressive. If I would place her in a tier she would probably be lower mid, the more popular picks for tourneys totally outclass her at the moment.

:1::P: was still i15 in DOA4 and just had it's :K: follow-ups, :1::P::K: was usually regarded as one of her best tools since it was highly delayable, but sorry I was referring to vanilla lol. What I would really love is her :1::P::P: from DOAD, she was op in that game imo.

Batcommander

You bring up some very good points. Her mixup is undoubtedly weaker thanks to 1K being trash now, and also the nerfs to her overall damage, plus the lifebar increase, dont make anything better.

But i do like this version of Lisa a lot tho, mostly because i feel she is much more niche oriented, whereas in 1.03 she could do basically anything and had high damage to boot. She feels like Rose from SF4 to me now; strong zoning, defense, weak damage. That's good enough for me personally, tho i can't speak for those that go to tournaments.

I disagree with TN's nerf to her OHs tho, dont know why they are so stingy when it comes to OHs, its not like they are abusable or anything. The risk/reward on most of them, sans BT 6T, is highly skewed.

I would like to see more neutral, plus on block transitions to BT tho, and i'm not talking about her slow ass guard breaks either. I revisited the changes thread today and i totally missed this, but 2KK4 is +0 on block now? I need to use this more.

Viable or not, I'll still use her, I used Jade in MK9 for 3 years. I can deal with this.
dude, jade was my secondary! lol. My main tho--SHEEVA lmao Lisa is cake compared to that!

ailingeternity

You bring up some very good points. Her mixup is undoubtedly weaker thanks to 1K being trash now, and also the nerfs to her overall damage, plus the lifebar increase, dont make anything better.

But i do like this version of Lisa a lot tho, mostly because i feel she is much more niche oriented, whereas in 1.03 she could do basically anything and had high damage to boot. She feels like Rose from SF4 to me now; strong zoning, defense, weak damage. That's good enough for me personally, tho i can't speak for those that go to tournaments.

I disagree with TN's nerf to her OHs tho, dont know why they are so stingy when it comes to OHs, its not like they are abusable or anything. The risk/reward on most of them, sans BT 6T, is highly skewed.

I would like to see more neutral, plus on block transitions to BT tho, and i'm not talking about her slow ass guard breaks either. I revisited the changes thread today and i totally missed this, but 2KK4 is +0 on block now? I need to use this more.
Her unsafety is something that's easily exploited, the majority of the cast can punish so many of her moves with throws (unbreakable ones at that), I also believe that non grappling characters should not have low throws to compensate for this, it would force them to use their specialized method of damage gain (strikes) to punish moves like :236::P: or :6::K::2::K: (which are in most cases launch punishable), characters like Ayane and Kasumi have too much control over the triangle system because of this and still deal stellar damage from their throws despite being striking based characters. As for her OH's TN put them in the same bracket as defensive holds, hence the damage nerf, I believe they have enough priority tbh being able to catch out strikes and blocking opponents but my point earlier is that because they can be crushed she can't use them reliably without a setup since most of her OH's are so easy to whiff. :2::K::K::4: was changed in the initial hotfixes. It's actually -3 on block, I'll change it.

Viable or not, I'll still use her, I used Jade in MK9 for 3 years. I can deal with this.
Trust me, DOA4 days we're very dark times for Lisa, she is phenomenally better compared to then...

Batcommander

Her unsafety is something that's easily exploited, the majority of the cast can punish so many of her moves with throws (unbreakable ones at that), I also believe that non grappling characters should not have low throws to compensate for this, it would force them to use their specialized method of damage gain (strikes) to punish moves like :236::P: or :6::K::2::K: (which are in most cases launch punishable), characters like Ayane and Kasumi have too much control over the triangle system because of this and still deal stellar damage from their throws despite being striking based characters. As for her OH's TN put them in the same bracket as defensive holds, hence the damage nerf, I believe they have enough priority tbh being able to catch out strikes and blocking opponents but my point earlier is that because they can be crushed she can't use them reliably without a setup since most of her OH's are so easy to whiff. :2::K::K::4: was changed in the initial hotfixes. It's actually -3 on block, I'll change it.

Trust me, DOA4 days we're very dark times for Lisa, she is phenomenally better compared to then...
i too think that grapplers should be granted exclusive access to low throws, but it'll never happen because of triangle system. Low throws are given to grapplers in VF, and i think it helps to grant grappler identity, asides from quick throw punishes (which tbh i think is kinda lame). Sucks about 2KK4, i went to training mode earlier today and was scratching my head; should've stayed that way dammit lol.

@ DOA4 Lisa--i can't believe i played DOA4 lisa for so long, she really was a crap character wasn't she? I wasn't too learned on frames and all that back then, but i knew her movelist was lacking as hell from the first time i did exercise mode. I mean, she was a luchador with no running throw, wtf lol. I do miss her old DOA4 lucha costumes tho, La Mariposa has crap costumes in 5, they give Lisa persona everything because it sells.

Also, what made DOAD Lisa so good? I never played it myself, so i am curious.

hey, just wondering about bt 7k combos. I checked the combo list and they combo off bt 7k into front turned moves like 4pk and stuff, but bt 7k always bring me to bt again, so what is the right combo to do after bt 7k?

ailingeternity

i too think that grapplers should be granted exclusive access to low throws, but it'll never happen because of triangle system. Low throws are given to grapplers in VF, and i think it helps to grant grappler identity, asides from quick throw punishes (which tbh i think is kinda lame). Sucks about 2KK4, i went to training mode earlier today and was scratching my head; should've stayed that way dammit lol.

@ DOA4 Lisa--i can't believe i played DOA4 lisa for so long, she really was a crap character wasn't she? I wasn't too learned on frames and all that back then, but i knew her movelist was lacking as hell from the first time i did exercise mode. I mean, she was a luchador with no running throw, wtf lol. I do miss her old DOA4 lucha costumes tho, La Mariposa has crap costumes in 5, they give Lisa persona everything because it sells.

Also, what made DOAD Lisa so good? I never played it myself, so i am curious.
No more DOA4 C2/C3 :(

Well considering VF characters are in the game they should take a page from their book. Ah DOAD, my favourite version of Lisa, she basically had everything she had in DOA4 with the addition of :4::P::6::K:, :2::K::P::6::K:, :3::3::K:, :236::h::+::P:, :6::h::+::P: as well as :1::P::P: being a 2-hit launch string (the animation for it is in this trailer @ 0:42)
it made :1::P: shockingly overpowered as she could high crush again with it's follow-up, it was effectively :1::P: and BT :4::P: in one string. She had a lot more priority, a much needed throw punisher (:6::h::+::P:) and the mid kick launcher she needed that was lacking in DOA4, she had the means to capitalize on her great tools.

hey, just wondering about bt 7k combos. I checked the combo list and they combo off bt 7k into front turned moves like 4pk and stuff, but bt 7k always bring me to bt again, so what is the right combo to do after bt 7k?
You must first reset out of BT by pressing :h: from which you begin your juggle, it's tricky at first but easy once you know how.

Gruff757

Standard Donor
BT7k > BT4p > 4pk > 4pkk or T

I failed Lisa's game... 1st time playing online after having studied her key moves, gotten her key combos down, and read through some of the threads on this board and stuff, and I got my ass handed to me, like I couldn't even think of a way to adapt and win.

I am new to doa series in general, and I can't get used to the triangle system. she's a grappler, but even when I use grabs on an opponent who just finished an attack string that seems to be negative on block, I still got hit by standing attacks.
tried to see if her 11 frame punch could hit someone after blocking their attack string, and I still got hit from standing attacks that weren't crush moves.
I tried crush moves, and I got hit out of them every time.
her 12 frame 4f+k couldn't be used as a gtfo crutch move, and I can't find the right time to use 7k so that every time I use it I got hit out of it.

any lisa player mind just add me in and play a few games and tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have not played a fighting game where grabs couldn't connect on a target when they are not in idle/guard state. it seems as long as they are pressing attacking buttons, even if they are on negative, grabs just won't work on them. in other fighting games, even when opponent is attacking, if my throw is faster than theirs, I can grab out of their attacks before they land theirs. can doa do this? am I doing it wrong?

also, I don't have good execution so I mash quite a bit, this usually works in other fighting game because the attack string usually consist of 2 punches max, but in this game the attack string could be 5 or 6 punches, and having pressed 1 more than necessary means death.
H cancel doesn't help either. say I already pressed K 4 times, the game already buffered it, even if I mash H on the 3rd kick animation, the 4th kick will still come out and I lose my combo or worse I get held...

Last edited:

Gruff757

Standard Donor
I failed Lisa's game... 1st time playing online after having studied her key moves, gotten her key combos down, and read through some of the threads on this board and stuff, and I got my ass handed to me, like I couldn't even think of a way to adapt and win.

I am new to doa series in general, and I can't get used to the triangle system. she's a grappler, but even when I use grabs on an opponent who just finished an attack string that seems to be negative on block, I still got hit by standing attacks.
tried to see if her 11 frame punch could hit someone after blocking their attack string, and I still got hit from standing attacks that weren't crush moves.
her 12 frame 4f+k couldn't be used as a gtfo crutch move, and I can't find the right time to use 7k so that every time I use it I got hit out of it.

any lisa player mind just add me in and play a few games and tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have not played a fighting game where grabs couldn't connect on a target when they are not in idle/guard state. it seems as long as they are pressing attacking buttons, even if they are on negative, grabs just won't work on them. in other fighting games, even when opponent is attacking, if my throw is faster than theirs, I can grab out of their attacks before they land theirs. can doa do this? am I doing it wrong?

also, I don't have good execution so I mash quite a bit, this usually works in other fighting game because the attack string usually consist of 2 punches max, but in this game the attack string could be 5 or 6 punches, and having pressed 1 more than necessary means death.
H cancel doesn't help either. say I already pressed K 4 times, the game already buffered it, even if I mash H on the 3rd kick animation, the 4th kick will still come out and I lose my combo or worse I get held...
eh im not a good teacher but can you record matches? if not, are you on psn?

ailingeternity

I hate to break it to you but Lisa is not a character for newer players. Her ability to use the triangle system is highly gimped in the current metagame as it favors those who have strong mixup potential and safety so you need to experiment extensively to know what works for her.

As for your throwing troubles, remember the triangle system, holds beat strikes, throws beat holds and strikes beat throws. This is the reason you cannot catch out strikes even before the active frames connect. What DOA has to compensate are offensive holds, which do catch out strikes, they work like holds however but also work on idle or blocking opponents just as throws do, they can be punished by throws but usually require quick reaction to do so. Lisa has tonnes of them but her main ones are :6::6::h::+::P:, :236::h::+::P: and :8::h::+::P:.

:h: cancelling doesn't work that way unfortunately and it's essential you get to grips with it for comboing. DOA has a very forgiving buffering system but many many many strings are highly delayable, you use :h: cancelling to prevent going back into the previous string you've used. Button mashing is a bad habit in any fighting game my friend, get to grips with not using it, it'll help a lot trust me.

:7::K: is used from mid range as a spacing move, never use it up close unless linked as a combo.

Grapplers in DOA have always been out of favor simply because throws have only two major priorities, to punish unsafe moves and to punish holds where they benefit with a +50% damage increase. To punish an unsafe move with a throw, the advantage you gain from a blocked move has to be at least 1 frame more than the startup frames of the throw itself (So to punish with :4::4::h::+::P: which has a 6 frame startup, Lisa has to block a move that is -7). Punishing still requires strict timing so it's not always reliable, especially online where framerates vary.

It just sounds like you need more experience of the game to know how to use whats right for you. You should definitely try out characters like Kasumi, Jann Lee or Hayate. Very beginner friendly characters that execute high damage without having to worry too much about the greater scheme of the game. The best thing you can do is get hold of how the comboing system works 1st as opposed to the triangle system, then learn that.

Unfortunately I'm on XBOX where nobody plays, otherwise I'd love to play with you :(

unfortunately the characters I am interested in are all hard to use... lisa, ayane, and helena are the only ones that appeal to me.

ailingeternity

Funny since they're my top 3 too lol

Out of the three you'll have the most success with Ayane she can teach you almost everything about the game, she is very similar to Lisa in what tools they both have but Ayane has the mixup game to shame Lisa. Helena on the other hand plays different to Lisa, using her immense evasion to start her godly counter hit hunting game and enforce infinite mixup.

Last edited:

Batcommander

Alright, after playing some matches i've changed my stance on :6::F+P:. I don't think its redundant anymore.

While :4::4::F+P: is technically the best punishing move, that :4::4: notation makes it rather hard to land it consistently, in my experience. Was trying all weekend to see how well i could pull it off at small amounts of disadvantage, and it was quite difficult to have high accuracy. I remember Sarah having a similar issue in VF5 with her 44P jab which was one frame faster than her regular one but the notation made it so you basically have to start buffering while you're blocking.

:6::F+P: is just a lot more reliable, at least for me.

AkaShocka

You guys ever found a decent use for BT :7::K:? I only use it if I am attacking their backside. Too risky to do when they are facing you and extremely retarded to do and block.

Currently I have this: (to foe's back) :1::P::P: BT :7::K: and :6::P::K::4: BT :7::K:

:6::P::K::4: BT :7::K: - this one for me only worked once on Pai but it whiffed every other time I tried it so i really wouldn't recommend it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD