DOA5LR Mai Shiranui DOA5LR Discussion - Guest from FF/KOF series

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
The theories I have so far

Kachousen (her fan toss which is qcf+P on the KOF series) is going to be used as a long range projectile as it normally is. It would be very linear and yet it can also be utilized to keep opponents from whiffing moves at longer distances. The notation in this scenario would probably be 236+P.
Mai's CD attack from KOF98 may end up being her CB. Her Power Blow is more than likely going to be a variant of Shinobi no Mai from KOFXIII or something a bit more elaborate to fit DOA5LR inner workings.
She also gained a target combo in KOFXIII (st.B, st.D). In KOFXIV, she retains this target combo, except it actually cancels into special moves. Several of her moves and strings may also end up being cancelled into her special moves. Musasabi no Mai has two variants: One that is used on the ground as a charge input and the other which is used in midair, which is a nose dive. This will more than like manifest as a move that allows her to distance herself or close the gap between herself and the opponent. Musasabi no Mai on the ground is done with down~charge~up+P (pressing up in a specific direction will cause her to travel forward or backwards. She will travel backwards by default if the player just simply presses up). If the player holds the punch notation while she touches a nearby wall, she automatically performs the air version of her Musasabi. There is also a chance that her special moves from KOF might end up requiring P+K or K+H inputs while singular command moves and strings end up being associated with P and K inputs.

I just hope that Mai does not suffer the Tekken 7 Gouki syndrome, where she ends up too strong, despite the 2D to 3D transition. Because, I can already see some potential dangers of this characters based on my experience in playing her in her respective series. Musasabi no Mai (ground version) may end up being too powerful of an escape option because she moves so quickly and so far away. I also wonder if chip damage would become a thing in DOA on behalf of this character. I also wonder if Mai is going to have her own meter system where she can temporarily free cancel her moves like the HD/BC combos in KOFXIII/02UM or based on how KOFXIV works. Hell, there is a likely chance that she may end up having more than one PB because the PB seems to be the equivalent of a "super" move in a way.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
According to old DOA terms, the devs are not too heavy with projectiles and shouldn't be a main factor to the game. Which is why Raidou's fireball is poor in usage besides GB. I am curious as to how it would go for her. Making it slow would be weird because the fan is small so visually it shouldn't be slow, making it too fast would go against certain DOA approach. Also to mention that this is Mai's first time within a 3D fighting genre, so adjusting frame data would be new and I wouldn't be surprised if she acquired new moves.

The difference between that and Akuma's Tekken is that Akuma has a life-type model pre-made before his entry to Tekken (likely the build was upon SF4 rather than the series before it because those weren't actual body structure), whereas KOF doesn't have such things in terms of body structure and movement (unless they are taking elements from Maximum Impact), Mai overall is likely to be completely remodeled because KOF gameplay for characters are much faster paced than DOA. 5 frame mids etc etc. (and a 5 frame mid wouldn't be allowed in DOA.)

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
According to old DOA terms, the devs are not too heavy with projectiles and shouldn't be a main factor to the game. Which is why Raidou's fireball is poor in usage besides GB. I am curious as to how it would go for her. Making it slow would be weird because the fan is small so visually it shouldn't be slow, making it too fast would go against certain DOA approach. Also to mention that this is Mai's first time within a 3D fighting genre, so adjusting frame data would be new and I wouldn't be surprised if she acquired new moves.

The difference between that and Akuma's Tekken is that Akuma has a life-type model pre-made before his entry to Tekken (likely the build was upon SF4 rather than the series before it because those weren't actual body structure), whereas KOF doesn't have such things in terms of body structure and movement (unless they are taking elements from Maximum Impact), Mai overall is likely to be completely remodeled because KOF gameplay for characters are much faster paced than DOA. 5 frame mids etc etc. (and a 5 frame mid wouldn't be allowed in DOA.)

I figure something like that would be the case. The VF characters and even Naotora herself is a very good reference to how Koei Tecmo would handle a character such as Mai Shiranui.

The mere thought of a i5 frame mid in DOA5LR is nightmare inducing. It would be downright horrendous if it stunned on regular hit (though at the same time, it reminds of my "table-flip"worthy character buffs where I make absurd statements about the characters getting stuff that would break DOA5LR in the more hilarious and tragic way possible). In this case, Mai's Kachousen may end up being relatively slow and telegraphed. Either that, or there is some other noteworthy downside to it's usage. While Mai may retain many elements that "belong" to KOF, she still will not "play" the same as she would in the KOF series for obvious reasons.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
You got it. In fact, she may be one of the few characters to receive new moves entirely just to fit "DOA" since this is Mai's (technically speaking) first 3D fighter genre appearance.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I wonder how fast and powerful DOA will make her, I'm guessing 5/5 for speed and 2-3/5 for power, she looks like she'll have 9i jab based on KOF videos I've seen of her.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
We can't use KOF videos as a sample to determine how she will be in DOA with the exception of moves visually. She may be a character to even acquire new moves, but because this is the first 3D fighting genre she's ever been you can expect an actual frame data added to the character that isn't an exact copy of the 2D fighter version.

SilverForte

She is going to be very, very different. This is a 2d fighting game character compared to vf's 3d ones.

I can imagine she is going to be fast, and will have actual projectiles with her fans, and flame attacks not unlike momijis 214 p+k. Should be interesting.

Oh and @DestructionBomb technically this is not the first 3d fighter for her to appear in. She was in the maximum impact series which was 3d.

samuraihachi

Standard Donor
I imagine she'll be similar to her KOF Maximum impact version, only adjusted to DOA mechanics.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Oh and @DestructionBomb technically this is not the first 3d fighter for her to appear in. She was in the maximum impact series which was 3d.

Maximum Impact is a 2D fighter that focused on 3D modeling, however the approach is the same as that of a 2D fighter with no proper sidestep function etc. In terms of an actual 3D fighting of all around movement, DOA is her first one technically speaking. (not to say you are not correct, but by base term if you get what I am saying.)

Last edited:

P2p1mbs

As disappointed I am that doax3 wont add in the other girls (:(), I have to say; thinking about it now, this new girl does interest me a lot. When she does come out I'll probably finally buy :naotora: as well. Would be interesting to try out both of them at the same time. Will probably make the game feel completely different.

Also; does anyone worry that with all these crossover costumes and guest characters, TN will probably not release doa6 for several years and just keep adding to last round? Kinda like how micro$oft and $ony are just going to be releasing upgrades to their current consoles as opposed to releasing new ones?

DedUp

Its funny that Mai looks better in DOA than she does in KOF14.

zndOPka.jpg
dIPUJVP.jpg

In KOF she's got those dark circles around her eyes making it look like she partied way too hard and didn't get any sleep while in DOA she looks a lot more refreshed and just better all around.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for some actual gameplay footage so we can get an idea of how she'll translate to DOA.

P2p1mbs

Its funny that Mai looks better in DOA than she does in KOF14.

zndOPka.jpg
dIPUJVP.jpg

In KOF she's got those dark circles around her eyes making it look like she partied way too hard and didn't get any sleep while in DOA she looks a lot more refreshed and just better all around.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for some actual gameplay footage so we can get an idea of how she'll translate to DOA.

I think that has more to do with the differences in visual style than one looking better than the other; KoF uses a cartoony design while DOA uses a more realistic style. TN clearly just modeled her to better suit their game. The same applies to the VF characters...

After the startling revelation of the Mai, is there any chance to see a partnership between DOA x Final Fantasy, like Tifa Lockhart ???

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
It would be rather crazy if that were true. Then again there is a Final Fantasy VII Remake coming out much later.
As for Mai, the only thing I can say for sure is that she may have an i9 frame jab, her striking moves might be augmented with quick mobility that she is known for, accompanied some possibly lethal throw/hold set ups similar to Hayabusa and his Izuna-Drops. How Koei Tecmo intend on taking care of Mai's move set in a game such as this is really what has me curious.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD