DOA5LR Mai Shiranui DOA5LR Discussion - Guest from FF/KOF series

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I was saying the same thing in my mind actually. The basic modelling and frame data etc. DOA moves at a different pace than KOF and a 2D fighter at that, compared to the VF characters where they still feel 3D so it feels much more familiar. Mai might just be a completely new character overall while keeping some moves from the KOF counterpart in more 3D animation fashion instead.

YBNDM

I need to try out the KOF demo. 2D fighters aren't really my thing, but KOF might change my mind. I'll still buy and try Mai in DOA.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I think she'll be great up close, she seems like a close range fighter based from playing her on the demo. I hope her 236+LK/HK and big jump command move make it in, she's really mobile.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
The neutral means you're able to play up close or anywhere mid-long range. Not just one or the other, to be clear.

Shiranui

Of course. @DestructionBomb is totally right. Making Mai in DOA is very challenging. DOA bases its gameplay into punches and kicks strings and KOF is a game more based in special moves and projectiles other than just normals hits (SFV is deeper in this than KOF). Also all characters in DOA have several throws and the holds set. Mai usually has 2 throws and never had anything like a counter. So, is really intriguing to me to see how they will do all that DOA stuff for Mai. And I'm sure she will have her trademark moves like Ryuenbu, Hisatsu and Musasabi but I don't know how they will work. Probably very different of how they work in KOF. Also I wonder if she will have Kachousen. It doesn't make many sense to have a fireball in DOA. But still, I think is interesting to know how she fights in 2D games so we can appreciate her adaptation in DOA. That's why I posted that combo video.

d3v

Of course. @DestructionBomb is totally right. Making Mai in DOA is very challenging. DOA bases its gameplay into punches and kicks strings and KOF is a game more based in special moves and projectiles other than just normals hits (SFV is deeper in this than KOF). Also all characters in DOA have several throws and the holds set. Mai usually has 2 throws and never had anything like a counter. So, is really intriguing to me to see how they will do all that DOA stuff for Mai. And I'm sure she will have her trademark moves like Ryuenbu, Hisatsu and Musasabi but I don't know how they will work. Probably very different of how they work in KOF. Also I wonder if she will have Kachousen. It doesn't make many sense to have a fireball in DOA. But still, I think is interesting to know how she fights in 2D games so we can appreciate her adaptation in DOA. That's why I posted that combo video.
If Namco can retain Akuma's fireballs in Tekken 7 FR, surely TN can retain Mai's fans in DOA5LR.
https://twitter.com/Tekken_Cube/status/754461914571255808?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

It's not like they've be strong anyway since everyone has access to a universal anti-fireball tool - sidestepping.

Mai, in my opinion, might be the biggest challenge ever to incorporate her moves in DOA5 Last Round. I know some of her specials may or may not make it, but her strings might be a big challenge.
Mai strings you say?

Let's not forget her chains from RBFF.

There's alot that TN can work with using past incarnations of Mai. Heck, even from XIV they can borrow her rush combo and her B, D chain.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Fireballs isn't influenced heavy in DOA though. Akuma's fireball in Tekken is manageable even on hit without stepping because you aren't immediately knocked back..with the exception of linking attacks from it into launchers due to meter usage for Akuma specifically on Tekken. Raidou's fireball on the other hand isn't that incredible for usage in DOA because it's slow and requires a certain play for it such as unholdables which grants him advantage well over +15 for a guaranteed jab near a wall or corners if they decided to block upon getting up, the raw fireball itself has knock back which leads to guaranteed damage near walls but extremely slow in usage because DOA doesn't focus on that specific play for fireball zoning and the like. Not to say Akuma in Tekken copies the one in SF for fireball wars, but some of that stuff has to be toned down for the Tekken characters to approach, as well as the SS game coming into play to make things more sense.

While I do think Mai's projectile wouldn't be anything like Raidou's mediocre version, I still don't think it would be heavily influenced for usage. Akuma's fireball even does chip damage in Tekken but Tekken format has a easier approach to avoid such things. DOA has a lot of free movement so who knows really.

KOF Maximum Impact could be a good choice actually. Though I'm sure Mai won't get that quicker speed priority there for startups in frame data.

Shiranui

Somehow I got used to Mai's english voice in MI and MI2. And in fact Mai of MI2 is one of her best encarnations ever. She was so good...! She had ALL her moves (almost) and great strings. I loved to play that game with her.

Also she had the most greatest alternate costume of all time
500x635xMaiAlternate.jpg.pagespeed.ic.YQGMQWkdil.jpg

:D
I would be great if TN gives this costume to Mai. I highly doubt it though

Last edited:

TRI Mike

Yeah I agree. They might have to rework a lot of her moves to fit her into the system. But I trust they can do a decent job at it.

SilverForte

Mais fans will be better than Raidous fireball for sure, but I doubt they will be as strong as Genras lightning.

I think they will just be something to throw out to keep the opponent moving, thats all, maybe youll be able to cancel normals into it like in kof.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
I wonder what Mai's Power Blow animation is going to look like.
It will probably be a Mid Punch Power Blow like the majority of them are (some in the game are actually Mid Kicks).
A P+K input. She performs some elaborate multi-hit animation (Possibly her fan rekkas from 98/02/02UM or previous Fatal Fury games) and then probably ends the combination with a Ryuuenbu.

The Power Launcher is probably going to resemble Mai's qcfx2 + P animation from 98 (from EX Mai iteration). Or, better yet, her DP+K from 98 in her regular version where she perform a back flip kick laced with flames.

VAND1TA

Standard Donor
I wonder what Mai's Power Blow animation is going to look like.
It will probably be a Mid Punch Power Blow like the majority of them are (some in the game are actually Mid Kicks).
A P+K input. She performs some elaborate multi-hit animation (Possibly her fan rekkas from 98/02/02UM or previous Fatal Fury games) and then probably ends the combination with a Ryuuenbu.

The Power Launcher is probably going to resemble Mai's qcfx2 + P animation from 98 (from EX Mai iteration). Or, better yet, her DP+K from 98 in her regular version where she perform a back flip kick laced with flames.

Yeah, I guess it will be something flashy like that.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD