DOA6 Momiji & Version 1.11 Patch Notes

DOA players have requested Momiji long before Dead or Alive 6 was announced, and now their demands have finally been answered by Team NINJA as she has officially joined the growing roster of fighters. Momiji, Morphing Ninja Costumes, Version 1.11 & Patch Notes released today for all available platforms. Alongside Momiji and her premium costumes (that are much better looking & more plentiful than Mai and Kula's selections) there are new ninja costume packs that morph between a default color and gold when you taunt or break blow.

z_5d7c352886102.jpg

Momiji's beautiful animations, new moves, string options and break blow look nice and while there isn't much news outside of her short trailer, there is notice of a Ninja Gaiden 15th anniversary that could be an ongoing promotion to honor the series reboot that started in 2004 on the original XBOX by Tomonobu Itagaki and his team. The morphing ninja costume packs are also fitting to be a part of the NG anniversary, and these are without question the best looking and most creative costumes DOA6 has seen yet. Could this anniversary be a tease at the possibility of NINJA GAIDEN 4 ? Or perhaps the return of Rachel?
Unfortunately, even the smallest of roses has its thorns and Momiji is the first character in the game to not have any story mode chapters, so hopefully you enjoyed her few lines in the trailer about her being a shrine maiden. If you are interested in her background, check out NINJA GAIDEN: Dragon Sword on the Nintendo DS as it best showcases her character. You can also see by viewing her biography at the official website that she's a part of the tournament, and that she is seen as a big sister to many of the children in her village.

ss-momiji003.jpg

Like Mai before her, we see a lot of improvements made to Momiji from DOA5 to DOA6 operating on a new system combined with almost 20 new options to her move-list. Check out the newly opened 'Momiji Forum' here at Free Step Dodge to contribute & share your discoveries for this returning shrine maiden. There is already a gameplay discussion going on right now that involves community members dissecting the changes to her character design and move-list!

The patch notes are not as long as expected for some players, but at least we see some additional quality adjustments to the game, along with some gameplay bug fixes. Thanks to 1.11 we can now add BGM to individual stages, and each character in the game has at least two entry & victory poses. Hopefully everyone is having a great time with the latest update and fighters find tons of tech for our returning ninja!

Last edited:
Well just to clarify and in my educated opinion: Momiji and Rachel are legacy characters to Team NINJA's universe. Kula is a true guest because KT doesn't own her.

Now that Momiji is in two games by all merits she can no longer be considered a guest in anyway shape or form.

That's up to Koei tho. If they think they can earn easy money with both Momiji and Rachel as DLC characters, like with Nyotengu ...

That's up to Koei tho. If they think they can earn easy money with both Momiji and Rachel as DLC characters, like with Nyotengu ...

Competitive players don't have a choice but to buy them because fuck any form of decency and allowing you to use them in training mode. That shit is shady as hell. You should at the very least be able to pick them in training mode without having to buy them. I'm NEVER going to play Momiji, but if I want to learn how to deal with her I have to buy her. So dumb.

I tried her for a while and I have to say that imo she's more fun to play in mid screen that almost any other character. A lot potential with her air stances and more bounces and relaunchs than any other character.

Is like playing with an unnerfed character unlike almost all other DOA6 characters.

Competitive players don't have a choice but to buy them because fuck any form of decency and allowing you to use them in training mode. That shit is shady as hell. You should at the very least be able to pick them in training mode without having to buy them. I'm NEVER going to play Momiji, but if I want to learn how to deal with her I have to buy her. So dumb.

Well unfortunately that happens in other games as well. In my case I buy all characters in the FGs I play even if I don't play these characters but I see what you mean and I agree.

...and with Alpha,Leon, Genfu and Ein being options for future DLC. They are not guests but could & should easily be added later.

If my guess is right I think they will fill the next year with these characters as DLC (maybe not Alpha but someone with her moveset).

Last edited:
Well just to clarify and in my educated opinion: Momiji and Rachel are legacy characters to Team NINJA's universe. Kula is a true guest because KT doesn't own her.
Now that Momiji is in two games by all merits she can no longer be considered a guest in anyway shape or form.

That's how I see it. It's like Final Fight Characters in Street Fighter even though at one point Final Fight was going to be the true sequel to Street Fighter 1 called, Street Fighter '89. Same universes, not a guest. Different universe=Guest

I dont know about everyone else but yesterday I had a blast online. The Momiji release was great cuz I havent seen so many online in casuals and ranked in forever. There was even a Momiji only room at one point. I hope the community grew, even if it was just a bit. And congrats to the Momiji mains that got their character back, they showed up in full force yesterday. The "Day 1" tech was on display for sure.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that feels she's type cheap because she goes too well with the current meta and has her good stuff from 5 but better?

Am I the only one that feels she's type cheap because she goes too well with the current meta and has her good stuff from 5 but better?
How so? I don't think she's cheap, she's safe and such but she still got a couple of things toned down and taken away. Even with her jump stance in critical stuns, the lessened stun means she has to commit more when she does certain things. But I still think she could be one the best characters in the game tho

Honestly, I'd rather her (or any new character) come in the game OP and get slight nerfs in patches than to come in weak af and have no one touch the character. That was SFV's mistake by being too careful with their balancing and having new characters come with terrible frames (looking at you Poison). But I dont think Momiji is cheap either. She's still a bit on the slow side, doesnt have a 9 frame and can be a bit predictable if you know what she's looking to open you up with. She also lost her forward HK SDS. But her new strings are good, her juggles are nice and she definitely fits DOA6 better than she did in DOA5LR

How so? I don't think she's cheap, she's safe and such but she still got a couple of things toned down and taken away. Even with her jump stance in critical stuns, the lessened stun means she has to commit more when she does certain things. But I still think she could be one the best characters in the game tho
That's why I said, Type. Could be that I forgot the MU a tad as I did have an easier time at one point. Just seemed way easier to fight her in 5. Lowered stun threshold makes me have to use Mila a particular way. Got my timing down now after losing it but Mila seemed like she worked better in 5 as she was designed around that game.

Honestly, I'd rather her (or any new character) come in the game OP and get slight nerfs in patches than to come in weak af and have no one touch the character. That was SFV's mistake by being too careful with their balancing and having new characters come with terrible frames (looking at you Poison). But I dont think Momiji is cheap either. She's still a bit on the slow side, doesnt have a 9 frame and can be a bit predictable if you know what she's looking to open you up with. She also lost her forward HK SDS. But her new strings are good, her juggles are nice and she definitely fits DOA6 better than she did in DOA5LR
When I fight her without Mila. I noticed she has the same issues as Mila when it comes to fighting for stun. Forced to use grabs and lows more so than others. That said, she has the extra benefit of being potentially spontaneous.

I actually think her losing that stun from 6H+K is good since her 6H+K is now more of an on block pressure attack which compliments her 214P+K as well too, I like how she has a good amount of ways to keep the pressure up, I wish Kasumi had that since Kasumi's more of an offensive pressure type xD
That's why I said, Type. Could be that I forgot the MU a tad as I did have an easier time at one point. Just seemed way easier to fight her in 5. Lowered stun threshold makes me have to use Mila a particular way. Got my timing down now after losing it but Mila seemed like she worked better in 5 as she was designed around that game.
Idk about Mila but I do like how Kasumi plays in DOA6 since she's safer xD and I feel in DOA6 fighting characters is easier since the stun is less dramatic, like in 5LR Kasumi could do damn near anything under 18i from a 1P in stun but now she can only do something under 13i since the stun was shaved off, it makes easier to hold since you know there's only certain things characters can do from set advantage rather than worrying about almost 3/4 of the move set and the possibility of a throw xD

Actually, she lost a lot of her juggle potential... I know, because from every minor stun in DOA5 I could get a full damage juggle with basically any launcher I used. Right now, you can't. Many of her juggles of DOA5 no longer work, while I could do the old ones for most other characters. Above that, you need specific launchers to get the bound combo off. And the non-bound juggles are meh in damage, especially considering their execution.

Man quite of her air juggle combos like 3P4PP, 3P4PP don't work anymore and the worst thing is she can't do bound combos on middle weight characters! I hope I find some good shit.

Man quite of her air juggle combos like 3P4PP, 3P4PP don't work anymore and the worst thing is she can't do bound combos on middle weight characters! I hope I find some good shit.
Indeed... Bound combos are only for light weight characters... So her juggles are really underwhelming in terms of damage. At least, based on what I found until now.

So how are you guys liking this update so far?

I like they gave clear buffs to characters like Mila and Jann Lee since now they have more combo potential. I understand some nerfs like Kula 236p and Phase 4 tenfu P+K were needed but I feel this game needs way more buffs to characters than nerfs.

Ater six months I really think a lot characters just feel boring to play in comparison with DOA 5 due DOA 6 removing mechanics and characters were nerfed in most cases. I really think they should go back and reconsider if this game is fun enough in comparison with DOA5.

I think by December they should be adding at least one new move/tool for each character.

A windmill follow-up to Helena's 66K+H for instance and more options from Teishitsu (a kick similar to Alpha 152's 9K, a parry...).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD