DOA5LR New character expectations (Spring 2016)

Who is the new character?

• Genra (or his inheritor)

• VF Character

• Shiden

• Irene

• Ms. Monday

• Rio

• Niki

• New male

• New female

• Other (Donovan, Miyako, etc.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So...that big carton of milk Christie gave to Eliot came from Honoka?
dansgame.png
Well, apparently it came from Rig...

TOBMAST3R

Well, let's find it out in a half year or so. :bradwong:

My bet is "Animal" Fighter, "Robot" or "Alien"/"Fiction" type. But that said by Team Ninja: "we've never gone in this direction with a character before." - I guess a comeback of a DoAD character or maybe a sub charater (Ayame for example) won't happen.

A "maybe" for a character of an anime, another game or something that has "super powers", that wouldn't normally fit with DOA could be a possibility.

Let's see all this questions about a new character under a new light! The character comes along with a new stage. Maybe, it is not the highly requested "Arial Garden" stage. Maybe it is something, that fits with the new character. What kind of stage could directly come along with a character? Example - "Lab"/"Alpha-152"?!

Argentus

Found an article that adds some perspective on the dlc character trend, specifically the "shifting demographics" point, and the Otaku segment of that.

http://goboiano.com/original/3337-w...ng-shorter-and-there-are-fewer-second-seasons

That in mind, it feels like the new TN is looking at DOA from an anime angle rather than a videogame one, as if DOA were a literal anime fighter like those made by Atlus, CC2, and the guys who do Bb/gg.

Like they're just trying to sell the characters, not the game.

It would certainly explain the sudden merch like mouse pads and stuff.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
They have been selling the characters since DOA1. The girls were put at the forefront since DOA1, and that was back when there were only THREE of them! But the new Team Ninja is also doing something the old Team Ninja hasn't, and that's supporting the competitive scene. Let's not sit here and pretend that Itagaki cared about the competitive nature of DOA like the current team does. TN has been largely supportive of DOA5 competitively and it's really nice having community managers come to tournaments to cheer and support fans.

Number 13

Blame the rise of moe anime from the past several years that shifted the industry. Stuff like Lucky Star, K-On!, Haruhi, Clannad, etc showed the signs that times are changing and adaptions need to be made. It's not a stretch of logic to assume all those moe anime fans play videogames too and it's not a stretch to assume they would like to see moe characters in their videogames so there is the connection.

I mean MR and Honoka are the top 2 currently for the DoAX3 poll. These newcomers pushed out vets like Kasumi/Ayane who been the face of the series before. Those two also got exclusive Season Pass costumes. Factor in with the removal of Itagaki and DoA is ripe for a slow and steady direction change.

I mean look at GG Xrd. Elphelt, Ram, and Jack-O are definitely the moe variety as oppossed to thier early female characters like Baiken or I-NO

Last edited:

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I know MR and Honoka get some distaste from fans here, but I honestly don't have a problem with either of these characters. I like them because they are adorable girls taking on hulking figures like Bass, Bayman, and Leon while also fighting ninjas like Kasumi, Ayane, Hayabusa, and Hayate. Team Ninja knows how to sell fighting entertainment with their characters. But that isn't to say there isn't an audience for the older women of DOA, because Christie, Helena, Tina, and Lisa do have their fans. I honestly find them the most attractive of the girls, but in terms of personality and fighting style, characters like Ayane, Hitomi, etc., appeal to me more.

Kronin

iirc the only one they haven't recycled yet is Genra's, and I don't see that going to any ordinary girl.

Effectively the fighting style of Genra could be something fitting a character out of the ordinary. If the diversity of this character accoriding to TN is imputable even to the fighting way along with the appearence, the return of Genra's Hajinmon could get some chances (even if I continue to think that could be fitting even to assign it to Donovan).

The Enforcer

^ Pathetic isn't it?

And sadly speaking, there are audience who support this way.

Why does this need to be sad or pathetic, if some one who has different preferences within the same product, I don't see why this matters.

Like Jyaktou, I don't have any issue with any of the new characters or direction. My only issue is that, that the characters that don't fit into the same category as the popular ones are largely neglected.

Me want Kasumi

Some people here complain about Marie Rose and Honoka a lot, but in reality these characters sell and both have done well and are even the most voted for characters in X3. Plus they have many fans (especially Marie Rose). There is nothing pathetic about them or characters like them as they are appealing.

The people who complain about them and are against them are honestly a vocal minority.

Kronin

I believe that people should accept the different preferences of the others surely manifestating their agreement or disagreement, but by the way without being unrespectful of them: in the process it would be enough to think if we would like to see our opinion classified in the same way how we are considering just now the others' one.

On the other side it's also true that it should never be a matter if a judgement comes from a minority or less, every single opinion should be considered a valid one in the same way (otherwise communities as FSD could even be quiet considering as often here emerge preferences that are far from being shared from the rest of the fanbase).

For closing the off topic, I'm sure that we will see an enhanced version of DoAX3 coming later with the characters that will remain out, so people should be more optimistic (overall when even the Japanese fanbase seems to not like too much this choice of the limited roster). IMO KT now want just be assured that DoAX3 will be a financial success, but if the female DLC sold so much with the fighting series to the point to allow remakes of it, it's a sure bet to think how this will happen even more for the volleyball one.

Last edited:

synce

I don't understand the argument that Marie and Honoka aren't DOA. The series has always been full of anime tropes. Today's anime is obviously different from the 90s. Look at KOF. The new designs are nothing like the 90s. That's the times changing. Get with it, old people.

Kronin

I don't understand the argument that Marie and Honoka aren't DOA. The series has always been full of anime tropes. Today's anime is obviously different from the 90s. Look at KOF. The new designs are nothing like the 90s. That's the times changing. Get with it, old people.

This is another point to get in consideration, the "anime culture" of today is something pretty different from the age of DoA's origin, just like the past one was still different and so it would be for the future. The kind of popular anime is a category constantly changing and it's always been so: for making an example with the same phenomenom happened in the far past it would be enough to think to the mecha series.

BATGIRL

Some people here complain about Marie Rose and Honoka a lot, but in reality these characters sell and both have done well and are even the most voted for characters in X3. Plus they have many fans (especially Marie Rose). There is nothing pathetic about them or characters like them as they are appealing.

The people who complain about them and are against them are honestly a vocal minority.

I have no problem with Marie Rose. I kinda like her the way she is since she's the first character in the series since 1996 who's got a small chest. She kinda breaks through that lack of diversity in presentation of the females in the series. Infact, these more recent characters all seem to fix that image problem. I remember playing the first DOAX thinking... jeez, all these girls literally have exactly the same figures except for Tina and Christie. The rest all pretty much looked like the exact same figure with a slightly different skintone and hairstyle.
I also like Marie Rose's main costume. The blue leotard with the thigh-highs.

Argentus

I have no problem with Marie Rose. I kinda like her the way she is since she's the first character in the series since 1996 who's got a small chest. She kinda breaks through that lack of diversity in presentation of the females in the series. Infact, these more recent characters all seem to fix that image problem. I remember playing the first DOAX thinking... jeez, all these girls literally have exactly the same figures except for Tina and Christie. The rest all pretty much looked like the exact same figure with a slightly different skintone and hairstyle.
I also like Marie Rose's main costume. The blue leotard with the thigh-highs.
Her main costume is the black dress. Which is actually neat.

That blue swimsuit with the thigh highs is part if why a lot of people don't like her. Its creepy as shit with her babyface.

Also nobody cares about her having a small chest.

The main complaints about Marie rose are
1) how generic her design is. She's entirely nondescript beyond the word "loli".
2) her baby face. People don't say she's like 8 years old because of her petite frame, its the babyface that gives that impression.
3) that creepy ass C2 and the white pallet swap of it.

And then with honoka just the fact that she's a copy paste of an existing anime character and they didn't even bother making a move set or a FACE for her? Just how blatantly/shamelessly they are trying to cater to otaku for a quick cash grab is infuriating. Even worse, that fact that its WORKING means Japanese players are losing any and all credibility in my eyes.

As someone who designs characters as a hobby, its downright insulting to see this happening to my favorite fighter.

And to the point of the topic, it really worries me that this "new" character will keep with the trend of being a generic anime archetype instead of a real character for DOA

Banana56

September 19th
  • Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Stage [Nico channel #1]
  • Dead or Alive 5: Last Round Latest Information Introduction Corner – Introducing the Nihon Falcom collaboration costumes, future events, and a ‘just before the Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Special Stage’ program [Nico channel #2
September 20th

• Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Participating Character Decision Commemoration Corner featuring talk about the Dead or Alive Xtreme series, Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 development, participating character introduction, and future plans [Nico channel #2]

Maybe we'll get something on the new character then.

werewolfgold

Quantity doesn't equal quality. There is a reason why "lowest common denominator" is a euphemism and the implications of that term are never favorable for the people to whom it is referring. Things that are terrible for numerous, provable reasons become popular all the time. Twilight, 50 Shades, Donald Trump, etc. And the fact that they are "appealing" for some reason doesn't make the issues that arise if you think about it just a little too hard go away.

There is factually not very much to Marie and Honoka at this point--neither in design, nor character. They got tacked on as DLC and haven't been developed at all beyond "servant" and "lol magic copy power + boobs". The majority of people are drawn to them because of superficial cuteness and many just want to see them in naughty clothing, especially those who voted in the X3 poll.

Now, you can argue that there's nothing wrong with liking cute things and wanting to see the two in naughty clothing. But, that doesn't really do anything to counter the grievances people usually have with Marie and Honoka (e.g. lack of cognitive effort).

The nerd/geek industries are in a bit of a financial bind at the moment like that article stated. So, you see more and more LCD, focus-group-approved type things. And we all see where it leads: a bunch of Call of Duty clones that do nothing to get off the ground and a bunch of forgettable, animu characters that can barely be picked out of a line-up.

But, hey, if Servant and Salad are making Koei-Tecmo money, they are well within their rights to ride that gravy train 'til the end of the line...

Number 13

FYI just because something is popular doesn't mean it's by default 'lowest common denominator' mob mentality. That is a very hipster line of thinking. The flaw in the 'quantity is not quality' logic is that anything unpopular by the masses must objectively be the superior entity regardless of what it is.

Whether or not characters like MR/Honoka is 'warranted' the popularity is irrelevant since we all tend to forget that popularity isn't something that can be logically explained or even justified as if it was a math equation.

It's all subjective tastes in the end that is born from how society shaped us and the only difference is there are more people with similar subjective tastes compared to the other. Whether it's MR tier popularity or Ein tier your not liking the character because of it being objectively better then the other since it all falls under the 'eye of the beholder' umbrella where we all have our own independent criteria of what is 'best'.

Last edited:

Me want Kasumi

Quantity doesn't equal quality. There is a reason why "lowest common denominator" is a euphemism and the implications of that term are never favorable for the people to whom it is referring. Things that are terrible for numerous, provable reasons become popular all the time. Twilight, 50 Shades, Donald Trump, etc. And the fact that they are "appealing" for some reason doesn't make the issues that arise if you think about it just a little too hard go away.

There is factually not very much to Marie and Honoka at this point--neither in design, nor character. They got tacked on as DLC and haven't been developed at all beyond "servant" and "lol magic copy power + boobs". The majority of people are drawn to them because of superficial cuteness and many just want to see them in naughty clothing, especially those who voted in the X3 poll.

Now, you can argue that there's nothing wrong with liking cute things and wanting to see the two in naughty clothing. But, that doesn't really do anything to counter the grievances people usually have with Marie and Honoka (e.g. lack of cognitive effort).

The nerd/geek industries are in a bit of a financial bind at the moment like that article stated. So, you see more and more LCD, focus-group-approved type things. And we all see where it leads: a bunch of Call of Duty clones that do nothing to get off the ground and a bunch of forgettable, animu characters that can barely be picked out of a line-up.

But, hey, if Servant and Salad are making Koei-Tecmo money, they are well within their rights to ride that gravy train 'til the end of the line...

Marie Rose and Honoka are not only popular though, they are LOVED by many especially Marie Rose. Aside from them being cute girls, Marie Rose added a lot of diversity to the game. She was the first female to have a very small chest, she is the first "kid" character, she has a unique fighting style that no other fighting game has (goes for both her style of the martial art and the martial art in general), ect. Plus she is a tsunadere(ish) character which is a very loved character archetype (just look at Karin and Lili). Honoka isn't the most original character but she is inspired by Love Live's Honoka. And some people here may not know it as majority if not everyone here isn't from Japan, but Love Live is HUUUUUUUUUGE in Japan so of course many people were going to love Honoka. Plus some people may think it's cute to see an adorable girl using others fighting styles as it looks funny and cute.

And just because you may not like them and are part of the vocal minority of people who don't like them doesn't mean those who do like them are the "lowest common denominator". No offense, but only haters/butthurt people think like that. And there is no issue by those two being loved or popular.

Twilight and 50 shades may have a lot of haters, but that doesn't make it a bad thing (especially when they have just as much love if not more love then hate).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD