New England

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Damn Gill don't make me come up there.

Dr. Teeth is good with his movement/stepping/backdash cancelling. His biggest flaw is not maximizing the damage with guaranteed setups and juggles. I noticed it both when he was Tina and Helena.

From watching the video, it definitely looks like you're playing the game like DOA4: You're just trying to hit each other and mix it up regardless of where you are. DOA3 is all about trying to position your opponent to the wall and danger zones - especially in Tag - where juggles and damage are dangerous. I never got the idea you were aware of your position on the field and were just playing the area by luck.

Good stuff either way to get more recordings done. Maybe I will come up in two weekends.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Dr. Teeth is good with his movement/stepping/backdash cancelling. His biggest flaw is not maximizing the damage with guaranteed setups and juggles. I noticed it both when he was Tina and Helena.

From watching the video, it definitely looks like you're playing the game like DOA4: You're just trying to hit each other and mix it up regardless of where you are. DOA3 is all about trying to position your opponent to the wall and danger zones - especially in Tag - where juggles and damage are dangerous. I never got the idea you were aware of your position on the field and were just playing the area by luck.

Good stuff either way to get more recordings done. Maybe I will come up in two weekends.

Thanks for the complements! And yeah, I totally agree. I'm not terribly familiar with 3.1. I didn't own an original Xbox, so I totally missed DOA 3 altogether. I'm hoping to put more time into it and learn more about Helena/Tina though. Are there any key differences between the way they play in 3.1 and 2?

And I'd definitely love to play you if you make the trip.

Oh yeah, fuck ayane, ha.

One like is just not enough.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
For Tina, you would want to use :6::6::K: to get in from mid range as it's +1 on guard to help initiate an offense. You were pretty much doing her max juggle with :P::P::F+P: but if the air throw ends near a wall you can get a follow up :3::3::2::F+P:. So if you knock someone into a wall crumple you can launch them do :P::P::F+P::3::3::2::F+P:. Also you can use her :1::P: when on water or ice to set up a mean mix-up. Basically free step with the :2_: direction after stunning the person with :1::P:. From there you can just react to a hold - if it's a high or mid you just do :6::4::F+P: to get her mega damaging throw on hi counter, if it's low you can do :9::K: or low throw, and if they don't hold you can go behind their back to jab stun them - putting them in a backturned state for free launch.

Helena's :214::F+P: puts her at frame advantage, enough where her neutral throw will whiff because they are still in the disadvantage. You can get a free mid punch back-turned stun off of it - I forget the actual combo but I believe it's :3::P::P:. Her :2::2::P: also is good as it produces a limbo stun. and I think her best juggle would be :6::6::P::K::P: but I honestly didn't touch helena that much to know her combos off the top of my head.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Thanks for the tips! Does Tina have any followups from her air throw when she's not near the wall? I tried going for her ground throw midscreen, but it seems like it whiffs.

Gill Hustle

Oh yeah, fuck ayane, ha.

AyaneHaters.jpg

@ Wah, well you know the good Doctor and myself like to get a few games of DOA every now and then, but that's the extent of our practice. After playing the demo, I had to remember what moves my characters still had, but all in allwe had some fun.

If more people view, then I'm sure teeth and I will put in more practice.

Gill Hustle

Good matches guys! It was nice to see Kasumi in action, I've never seen anyone use her at high level in this game.

Didn't know I was High Level LOL! But thanks my ego isn't complaining.

Dr Teeth and I got a few sets of DOAU2 tonite, Man it's really hard remembering moves, what's effective, and how the game system works. Also sucks not having the right gear.

I'm thinking of learning things for the hell of it if anyone wants to help I could maybe do another broadcast this week.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Didn't know I was High Level LOL! But thanks my ego isn't complaining.

Dr Teeth and I got a few sets of DOAU2 tonite, Man it's really hard remembering moves, what's effective, and how the game system works. Also sucks not having the right gear.

I'm thinking of learning things for the hell of it if anyone wants to help I could maybe do another broadcast this week.

I'm totally practicing DOA2U for next time. The salt levels were a little too high for my liking on my part tonight haha. But seriously. Fuck Kasumi.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor

Yeah I gave that a peek awhile ago. I could certainly use the refresher. I think maybe the bigger problem was remembering what Tina and Helena have (or don't have, rather) in 2. They've both gained so much since that game and have tools that I'm used to relying on that it really threw me for a loop, like not knowing how to end juggles with Tina sans air throw, remembering what strings and moves Helena has that leave her in BKO, etc. I'll just be dusting off cobwebs this week so next time we play it won't be such a slaughter.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD