New Gameplay from Shimbori's January Preview

Team NINJA's Yohei Shimbori has been all over the world showing the latest build for Dead or Alive 6. You would hope that gameplay and graphical showcases would be the focal point of the new build presented, but controversial social topics reigned supreme for most interview presentations created by the video game media. Thankfully, some new gameplay is emerging out of the coverage and the newer characters are being showcased in the footage.

The Nyo-Tengu vs Phase 4 gameplay here was not as revealing as it could have been. We already know about Phase 4's 214 T and flurry of kicks, and we've also seen the majority of Tengu's moves shown here in DOA5. It will be interesting to see more from both bonus characters in the future, but Nyo-Tengu looks to still be in need of additional safety options going into DOA6 other than P+K.

If you want additional footage for Phase 4, you can check out IGN's gameplay demo. Despite some changes you can visualize that Phase 4 will still have a strict learning curve, and you will not fully master the character over a night or two of gameplay. This match against Diego also shows off some of his tech like his usage of the fatal stun and air throw near a danger zone or wall.

The Tina vs. Rig match provided some new moves. Tina has fresh air grabs that look really cool, and she has an awesome new hit throw that comes out of her 7K so you no longer need to follow up with 2T. Tina's Fatal Stun from 8P looks like it could use some fine tuning or it's very strict on what will connect as the follow up.

:nico:

NiCO proves in her combat that she can kick higher than Kasumi, and she seems to have simple combo design that leads to absolutely insane damage. Aesthetically her neutral stance is cute and adds to her character, the electricity that emits from her hands during her break hold is also a nice touch. NiCO's electric blasts will also be important to comprehending her fighting style and some of her combos.

Players that have had the chance to play as NiCO claim that she is quite steep, and her learning curve will keep fighters studying in the lab for hours. She doesn't appear to be a pressure based character, but NiCO is defensive and is required to wait for opportunities to attack big. Almost everyone that attended one of Shimbori's media events did not hesitate to play as DOAs new Scientist, and the press has said nothing but good things about her.

The Gamespot and IGN videos were viewed by Matt Ponton and he had a few interesting things to say pertaining to side tech ups:

Frame counting on YouTube at 60fps shows around 33 frames for one of the side techs, which I believe used to be around 50. If true, this means that some or most psuedo-force-techs from DOA5 will leave at disadvantage instead of advantage, but will still require research once the game comes out.

IGN also posted a video of Ryu Hayabusa's combo challenge. This mode is good for any player looking to pick up a new character. It will not only teach you some quick and effective bnbs, but will also teach you how to perform combos on stage environments and walls.

Shack News released over 30 minutes of gameplay (Part 1 and Part 2) that features almost all of the different characters in the game. Through gameplay video, 'Crimson' was also revealed as a returning stage to DOA6.

Raidou has been revealed, and confirmed as a Day 1 character, but the elusiveness of the character surrounding the story has seemed to prevent a reveal trailer from happening. As of now the only footage we have is the current video displayed and some Twitter information. You can also read up on his biography at the official website, but it's clear Team NINJA doesn't want to say much about Raidou as of now.

There are plenty of new things to discuss so feel free to post anything new you noticed for your character in the DOA6 character forum. At FSD, gameplay discussion and sharing information with one another is the ultimate goal. If you are looking for new friends you can post in the matchmaking forum and prepare yourself for lots of offline play in 2019!

Last edited:
Maybe I’m an extremist, but I’ve always felt DOA should only have one square/vanilla stage, and that’s the DOA tournament arena. Every other stage should be weirdly shaped and have multiple levels or areas. That’s half the fun of the game.

It would be difficult to make every stage have distinct shape and level without making it feel gimmicky though. 5 had the problem of having too many closed stages with little to really set them apart from each other. 4 meanwhile had too many stages with obstacles and some felt that made the game too unpredictable; notice how the only stages remade from 4 were all basically closed, flat stages? 2 Ultimate probably had the best selection of stages since it had plenty of multi level stages, closed stages and even open stages.

For 6, its clear they are going to make more stages available as DLC. As long as its not paid, I'm ok with that.

How would that even work?

I have no idea but that's where magic happens.
how-to-expand-my-comfort-zone.jpg

How would that even work? Because like, you came with the idea and when somebody asks for an explanation you come with this dumb ass image. Saying you don’t know how it works... why do you come with such an idea anyway if you don’t know how it would work? It seems pretty fucking stupid to me, but that’s my opinion.
D0CD46A6-184A-4FBF-A6E8-CC6E6B77E6C4.gif

The larger stages such as Lorelei, Aerial Garden, Dragon Hills, etc already felt like their own “open worlds” because of the scenery and all the possible places to break into and explore.

The closest thing to an open world stage I would like is a new, exotic outdoors stage that can rival whatever the biggest DOA stage is atm. Maybe that’s what he meant by open world, because as cool as it sounds, there’s no way we’re getting GTA/RDR sized environments in a fighting game lol

The larger stages such as Lorelei, Aerial Garden, Dragon Hills, etc already felt like their own “open worlds” because of the scenery and all the possible places to break into and explore.

The closest thing to an open world stage I would like is a new, exotic outdoors stage that can rival whatever the biggest DOA stage is atm. Maybe that’s what he meant by open world, because as cool as it sounds, there’s no way we’re getting GTA/RDR sized environments in a fighting game lol

Yes, I can imagine some kind of another "unforgettable" stage where we can get different whole stages (and not only a small portion of them) which would be connected. I like this idea. It would definitively have some kind of open-world vibe, but we could rather talk about an "open stage".

I don't really know how this idea would work. That's often like that when new idea comes. Should i have to self-censured?

I'm tired of these stupid lobbies where you have to wait for your turn like a skeleton within spiderwebs.
I can read that people are complaining that every stage are just a square in disguised.

Openworld break these rules. and it would bring also new ideas. Does it work ? that's not important at this stage.
I would like something like absolver for the lobbies.
I would like something like horizon dawn for the world.

Unforgettable is the beginning of something but not enough. We could fight everyone in each corridor.

If it's a fucking stupid idea, Ok, let's stay in our comfort zone.

I don't really know how this idea would work. That's often like that when new idea comes. Should i have to self-censured?

I'm tired of these stupid lobbies where you have to wait for your turn like a skeleton within spiderwebs.
I can read that people are complaining that every stage are just a square in disguised.

Openworld break these rules. and it would bring also new ideas. Does it work ? that's not important at this stage.
I would like something like absolver for the lobbies.
I would like something like horizon dawn for the world.

Unforgettable is the beginning of something but not enough. We could fight everyone in each corridor.

If it's a fucking stupid idea, Ok, let's stay in our comfort zone.
The idea is not stupid, you not being able to back it up is stupid. Don’t say anything if you can’t explain it or back it up, because it has no substance. Just saying. Btw... it’s not about staying in a comfort zone, it’s about if something would work. If you come with an idea, explain why so people can think along with you, instead of acting like nobody shares your opinion and is afraid of change.

Last edited:

Then play ranked? Or play in smaller lobbies. Or don't lose?

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD