DOA6 New Gameplay Mechanics Revealed

DfLNHgKUYAA1Akj-orig_zpsamr53mmd.jpg

Try to keep an open mind as the footage is an early build of Dead or Alive 6, and we are slowly piecing the mechanics together the best we can with the information we have available to us. DOA6 will be available for us to play at EVO this year so observation is clearly welcomed by Team NINJA.

At 3:30 PM Pacific Time a stream from IGN is expected to help us make some sense of today's Famitsu interview with Shimbori that revealed several new mechanics to the DOA formula. Most developers copy and paste the predecessor, but the sixth installment of our game will have plenty of new mechanics, coupled with the elements we loved most from DOA5LR. Let's take a quick peep at what's new:

Critical Bursts, Power Blows and Power Launchers are gone!

When it came to the hand to hand combat, with no environmental damage in the picture, the critical bursts felt like a really special part of DOA. Hopefully this new system will blow our minds. How do you feel about this change?

New Mechanic: Side Attack

The side-step will not be taken out, but replaced with something else. You must release :8::2: and follow up with the new Special button (H+P+K) which is detailed to some degree in the Famitsu Interview. The S button will be conducive to several new mechanics in the game. You can attack while avoiding a straight hit, but it always forces you to commit, so there is risk for the person side-stepping. A successful hit at close range will result in major damage. The stage will also be dependent on how damage is dealt. Seems like timing will mean everything.

New Mechanic: Break Gauge

If you watched the trailer, you may have noticed an additional bar under the HP. That's the break gauge and it fills up as you deal damage according to the Japanese translation of the interview. It also accumulates or freezes depending on your success with hold game duing the fight. When the bar fills up you will have access to "Break Hold" and "Break Blow." How they handle the holds will probably be one of the more complex topics of this new Break Gauge mechanic.

New System: Fatal Rush/ Auto Combo ( S, S, S, S )

Pressing that Special button continuously is an activity all characters can trigger.... the first hit will initiate a Fatal Stun, which puts the opponent in an unprotected state, and the normal hold can not be performed. If your gauge bar is filled you can use "Break Blow" on the last hit. Another interesting tidbit of information is that this auto combo will not cost from the break gauge, thankfully these moves are expected to be highly unsafe on block and are not invincible.

Jann%20Lee%20DOA6_zpscxb01fay.jpg

New System: Break Blow ( :6:+ S )

As mentioned this works by filling up the break gauge and spending it all. This is the special cinematic punch that breaks the face of your opponent and is also confirmed by Shimbori to tear clothes. This can beat high and medium attacks, and can even break throws! A technique Shimbori calls the "invincible attack." This move can also be incorporated with an air juggle and the environment. Though it's a strong move, Break Holds can beat it, and lows can too.

New System: Break Hold ( :4: + S )

It sounds like this mechanic will let you hold anything from any stage! This could be absolutely wonderful for dealing with people that love spamming the same moves over and over. This will make even the fastest characters think twice. You move behind the opponent, and do damage to them as you do it, hopefully they are all unique animations for all characters.

breakhold_zps0z3sxncv.jpg

breakhold2_zpseslf2dv0.jpg

Famitsu was able to let us in on a lot of new information this early on, so to me this game will have little chance of delay and will be changing our lives in 2019. Sometime after the IGN stream I will edit this story with new details of the mechanics and also include a new write-up pertaining to the returning characters and how they will play differently from their DOA5 counterparts.

Please look no further than FSD for high quality content, tournament write-ups, news updates and an active forum that has been the most trusted source for DOA competitive play. Let's get hype!

Last edited:
Uhhhhhh...power crushes don't beat throws, just strikes. Throws become inescapable when it grabs an opponent doing a power crush. It's a borrowed mechanic from Street Fighter's semi-invincibles.

Last edited:
Yesss, no more CBs!! I doubt Alpha 152 will make it buy if she did that means we won't have to do that guess between 3 CBs bullshit again XD

Oh Jelly will be there... maybe not at launch but eventually the world will taste the candy coated Jelly Wrath !!! :mad:

And I hope that HC throw damage is subject to change if the health bars aren't any bigger HP wise... That means the grapplers could potentially only need like 1-2 good throws knowing how obscene their strongest grapples are...
LoL... imagine that HC Throw with Alpha's B.U.R.S.T. :)

Uhhhhhh...power crushes don't beat throws, just strikes. Throws become inescapable when it grabs an opponent doing a power crush. It's a borrowed mechanic from Street Fighter's semi-invincibles.

Semi-Invincibles ?

And I hope that HC throw damage is subject to change if the health bars aren't any bigger HP wise... That means the grapplers could potentially only need like 1-2 good throws knowing how obscene their strongest grapples are...

HCH B.U.R.S.T. would be 2/3 lifebar. The current HCH of 149 (1 HP shy of 1/2 lifebar due to how the 100 base is broken into 2 hits) is already enough. 2/3 in one attack before factoring in floor hazard or stage transition (B.U.R.S.T being capable of both) is insane.

I use the current side step religiously so I'm a little concerned about it being changed. I'll hold out until I see more of it.

Pressing that 4th button continuously is an activity all characters can trigger.... the first hit will initiate Fatal Stun, which puts the opponent in an unprotected state, and the normal hold can not be performed. If your gauge bar is filled you can use "Break Blow" on the last hit. This will be an easy move to pull off for beginners, but the timing of it will be complex for high level play.

This changes everything about this mechanic......I'm all for unholdables, but this better have a huge risk to it, like the state should only work on a neutral hit and not something you can throw into mid stun. Hopefully the initial attack is slow as well. I got the impression it was just a auto combo for beginners, but if it makes the whole string unholdable without a power meter? Hooo boy, this is going to be interesting.

break blow really concerns me being able to just press a button and instantly interrupt any attack is probably my most hated mechanic in Tekken. enemies health is low, push for the finaaaaaand i just lost.

The fact im looking at literally all these new mechanics and the best i can think is that hopefully they won't be to bad is a bit disappointing. What really frustrates me is DOA didn't need to be casualized anymore as it's one of the most accessible fighters out there but TN was too busy selling overpriced gravure videos to get that message across in their advertising.

I use the current side step religiously so I'm a little concerned about it being changed. I'll hold out until I see more of it.

I think what people wanted from Side Steps in DoA 5 was for them to be just as effective as Marie Rose's Command Side Step... which is funny because many thought that move was Broke as F*#% !!!

Hey @Russian-chiropractic19 !!! Long Time !!! :)
break blow really concerns me being able to just press a button and instantly interrupt any attack is probably my most hated mechanic in Tekken. enemies health is low, push for the finaaaaaand i just lost.

The fact im looking at literally all these new mechanics and the best i can think is that hopefully they won't be to bad is a bit disappointing. What really frustrates me is DOA didn't need to be casualized anymore as it's one of the most accessible fighters out there but TN was too busy selling overpriced gravure videos to get that message across in their advertising.

Yeah it seems as if theres been so some sort of confusion over what DoA is like compared to everything else.

Well... I have a few Guinea Pigs I can test this stuff on... we'l see if they latch on to it when the game's out.

Last edited:
I think what people wanted from Side Steps in DoA 5 was for them to be just as effective as Marie Rose's Command Side Step... which is funny because many thought that move was Broke as F*#% !!!

I don't think her SS is broken. I do think its incredibly obnoxious though lol.

Seems that Special (S) is macro for P+K+H or doubtfully K+H, but not P+K because they showed it in tutorial, just like how Throw (T) is macro for P+H

Not only that. The way how move sets work in SCVI have been changed as well. Some moves are now limited to Soul Charge, just like how some moves are limited to Brave Edge in SCV. Kilik's Festival of the Damned can only be done with Soul Charge now when you can just do it directly in the previous games.
Yep you're right

This changes everything about this mechanic......I'm all for unholdables, but this better have a huge risk to it, like the state should only work on a neutral hit and not something you can throw into mid stun. Hopefully the initial attack is slow as well. I got the impression it was just a auto combo for beginners, but if it makes the whole string unholdable without a power meter? Hooo boy, this is going to be interesting.

What I find interesting about Fatal Rush is the fact that it can only be held with a Break Hold. This means that, more than just an "auto combo" (which is nearly meaningless in a system where you have chains from hitting P multiple times), Fatal Rush has value as a means to force or bait out Break Holds, making your opponent spend precious meter. With a meter system (and meter-powered burst/combo breaker type mechanic) you need to be able to put your opponent where they have to think about whether or not they should just spend the meter to get out.

Last edited:
Honestly this all sounds fucking terrible aside from getting rid of power blows and crits. People focused too hard on setting those up, so glad they're gone.

Everything else just sounds fucking terrible. now everyone can turn the opponent around like Leifang and Marie Rose? Oh god, now everyone's only going to do that.....

Like I was initially super excited, but these changes just fucking suck, they keep going in the completely wrong direction with doa again.

Honestly this all sounds fucking terrible aside from getting rid of power blows and crits. People focused too hard on setting those up, so glad they're gone.

Everything else just sounds fucking terrible. now everyone can turn the opponent around like Leifang and Marie Rose? Oh god, now everyone's only going to do that.....

Like I was initially super excited, but these changes just fucking suck, they keep going in the completely wrong direction with doa again.

I'm whatever about the CB/PB stuff. I rarely used them because they were so obvious and whenever I did go for them I'd just get held. Only time you ever really see them pulled off is on the characters with sit down stuns that require aggressive slow escaping and the few characters that had more than 1 CB that they could mix up with like Zack who had a kick and a punch version bleh.

The hold that turns you around.....eh. From the footage it doesn't seem to really give a huge advantage. I don't think we'll be seeing crazy long back stuns. Seems like you can recover from it pretty quick.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD