DOA6 New Gameplay Mechanics Revealed

DfLNHgKUYAA1Akj-orig_zpsamr53mmd.jpg

Try to keep an open mind as the footage is an early build of Dead or Alive 6, and we are slowly piecing the mechanics together the best we can with the information we have available to us. DOA6 will be available for us to play at EVO this year so observation is clearly welcomed by Team NINJA.

At 3:30 PM Pacific Time a stream from IGN is expected to help us make some sense of today's Famitsu interview with Shimbori that revealed several new mechanics to the DOA formula. Most developers copy and paste the predecessor, but the sixth installment of our game will have plenty of new mechanics, coupled with the elements we loved most from DOA5LR. Let's take a quick peep at what's new:

Critical Bursts, Power Blows and Power Launchers are gone!

When it came to the hand to hand combat, with no environmental damage in the picture, the critical bursts felt like a really special part of DOA. Hopefully this new system will blow our minds. How do you feel about this change?

New Mechanic: Side Attack

The side-step will not be taken out, but replaced with something else. You must release :8::2: and follow up with the new Special button (H+P+K) which is detailed to some degree in the Famitsu Interview. The S button will be conducive to several new mechanics in the game. You can attack while avoiding a straight hit, but it always forces you to commit, so there is risk for the person side-stepping. A successful hit at close range will result in major damage. The stage will also be dependent on how damage is dealt. Seems like timing will mean everything.

New Mechanic: Break Gauge

If you watched the trailer, you may have noticed an additional bar under the HP. That's the break gauge and it fills up as you deal damage according to the Japanese translation of the interview. It also accumulates or freezes depending on your success with hold game duing the fight. When the bar fills up you will have access to "Break Hold" and "Break Blow." How they handle the holds will probably be one of the more complex topics of this new Break Gauge mechanic.

New System: Fatal Rush/ Auto Combo ( S, S, S, S )

Pressing that Special button continuously is an activity all characters can trigger.... the first hit will initiate a Fatal Stun, which puts the opponent in an unprotected state, and the normal hold can not be performed. If your gauge bar is filled you can use "Break Blow" on the last hit. Another interesting tidbit of information is that this auto combo will not cost from the break gauge, thankfully these moves are expected to be highly unsafe on block and are not invincible.

Jann%20Lee%20DOA6_zpscxb01fay.jpg

New System: Break Blow ( :6:+ S )

As mentioned this works by filling up the break gauge and spending it all. This is the special cinematic punch that breaks the face of your opponent and is also confirmed by Shimbori to tear clothes. This can beat high and medium attacks, and can even break throws! A technique Shimbori calls the "invincible attack." This move can also be incorporated with an air juggle and the environment. Though it's a strong move, Break Holds can beat it, and lows can too.

New System: Break Hold ( :4: + S )

It sounds like this mechanic will let you hold anything from any stage! This could be absolutely wonderful for dealing with people that love spamming the same moves over and over. This will make even the fastest characters think twice. You move behind the opponent, and do damage to them as you do it, hopefully they are all unique animations for all characters.

breakhold_zps0z3sxncv.jpg

breakhold2_zpseslf2dv0.jpg

Famitsu was able to let us in on a lot of new information this early on, so to me this game will have little chance of delay and will be changing our lives in 2019. Sometime after the IGN stream I will edit this story with new details of the mechanics and also include a new write-up pertaining to the returning characters and how they will play differently from their DOA5 counterparts.

Please look no further than FSD for high quality content, tournament write-ups, news updates and an active forum that has been the most trusted source for DOA competitive play. Let's get hype!

Last edited:
Sorry, but if SE is gone in DOA6, why in the training menu you can set the COM Recovery? How could the COM recovers without the SE? :confused:
:6842:O!O:4862:
It actually means tech-roll

and...don't try to convince this raansu dude,I believe he's a DOA3 fanboy lol and I doubt his DOA level whether as good as his ague ability,due to his understanding of the very game;)

and...don't try to convince this raansu dude,I believe he's a DOA3 fanboy lol and I doubt his DOA level whether as good as his ague ability,due to his understanding of the very game;)

DOA3 was actually a good game though. Stun launch approach is great. You can obviously do stun launch in DOA5 as well which is tied to mostly weight class and threshold levels from 1-3, but the change to what it is now pretty alright.

What's wrong with DOA3?

DOA3 was actually a good game though. Stun launch approach is great. You can obviously do stun launch in DOA5 as well which is tied to mostly weight class and threshold levels from 1-3, but the change to what it is now pretty alright.

What's wrong with DOA3?
OKOK,I mean,DOA3 was a beautiful game in that age,pretty fun to play

but 3-way hold ruined everything,I can't really consider a FTG with too many random wins as a serious FTG.

I'm glad Shimbori fixed this after DOA2U

and for Stun game,I'm fine with most DOA6's changes too but I hate BB sabaki,SE&FT cancellation

but 3-way hold ruined everything,I can't really consider a FTG with too many random wins as a serious FTG.

The 3-way hold is a setting now in DOA6, it won't be the norm to playing the game. I think it's just there for nostalgia reasons but it may separate the online community I guess (for the people that only play online) if it's a setting online due to the fact that people will get super comfortable for it and then stick with it, 3-way holds is basically the same way tag was, taking up space similar to tag lobbies were in DOA5. If you see a 3-way hold lobby I'd try to avoid it.

and for Stun game,I'm fine with most DOA6's changes too but I hate BB sabaki,SE&FT cancellation

All of those is debatable, but reducing the amount of guesswork was a bit necessary. At the moment for 6 currently, you are still guessing massively in stun situations being at +12, +16, +20, doesn't matter. On top with providing meter meta to situations and options that increases the amount of guesswork for literally almost no effort which wasn't a milestone improvement over 5, but at least there's better step options now. Which to me, is possibly the best thing over 5. DOA5 and it's upgrade iterations did not get that portion which made stepping situations a bit of a risk. (which still is a bit, but more evasive this time around and I appreciate DOA6 for that). To completely step a linear string in DOA5, you'd have to double-triple SS, with the end result is that you better hope that last attack has huge recovery. Sometimes you couldn't step and then throw them for free for it depending on what that ender was which can be a bit of a risk.

Last edited:
DoA3 had real frame advantage on block both normal strikes and guard breaks, a very evasive free step, and plenty of guaranteed situations on top of throws practically killing you if it was a hi-counter throw with hold damage being extremely low. Having 3 way holds in no way "ruined" one of the most competitive doa games in the franchise. Would it have been better with 4 way? Probably, but there were tons of ways to deal with the 3 way hold that it wasn't even remotely an issue.

Also, I doubt Shimbori had anything to do with 4 way holds in DoA2U. He was just a planner/tester at the time and a recent hire to TN.

The 3-way hold is a setting now in DOA6, it won't be the norm to playing the game. I think it's just there for nostalgia reasons but it may separate the online community (for the people that only play online) if it's a setting online due to the fact that people will find it too comfortable and then stick with it. If you see a 3-way hold lobby don't join it I guess. Shit, I won't because it's not the norm.

All of those is debatable, but reducing the amount of guesswork was a bit necessary. At the moment for 6 currently, you are still guessing massively in stun situations being at +12, +16, +20, doesn't matter. On top with providing meter meta to situations and options that increases the amount of guesswork for literally almost effort which wasn't a milestone improvement over 5, but at least there's better step options now. Which to me, is possibly the best thing over 5. DOA5 and it's upgrade iterations did not get that portion which made stepping situations a bit of a risk. (which still is a bit, but more evasive this time around and I appreciate DOA6 for that). To completely step a linear string in DOA5, you'd have to double-triple SS, with the end result is that you better hope that last attack has huge recovery. Sometimes you couldn't step and then throw them for free for it depending on what that ender was which can be a bit of a risk.
Yeah DOA6 has a 3-way hold option,I think it's so wrong that it could confuse newcomers who trying to play DOA in deep but whatever,I don't care,I'm not that newcomer guy lol and meanwhile in real matches,4-way is the king.

Talking about guesswork,well I think any FTG is supposed to make you guessing,and DOA's guesswork is one of the best.
What I don't like in DOA6 is mindless simplification——Shimbori said these simplifications are for new players but I doubt it.Every single hardcore FTG has a deep system why would they try to make DOA6 easier than DOA5?You mentioned SS,well in DOA6,it's like every fake-tracking moves are gone,and :s:&Fatal STS literally denies fast high to mid moves too.It's like TN telling you that this is the best option,deal with it,NO more guessing.So I'm not OK with this,Oh urrr...Not only in system level,EVEN in command-input level (though we all know that DOA series are input friendly enough)DOA6 is easier too.My friend tested Eliot yesterday, his classic :3_::P:juggles basically lower to Genfu's level which makes him a input-friendly character too.You won't see any "Yah Yah Yah"juggles in DOA6 lol

DoA3 had real frame advantage on block

Are you suggesting DOA2 and DOA5 didn't? Lols.

Anyways, if it's frame advantage in that game then it's frame advantage in other games. Not exactly a massive contribution there.

Regardless, there's no need to go back to 3-way hold. It's not the norm. If everyone is sticking with 4-way, then that's the trend.

Yeah DOA6 has a 3-way hold option,I think it's so wrong that it could confuse newcomers who trying to play DOA in deep but whatever,I don't care,I'm not that newcomer guy lol and meanwhile in real matches,4-way is the king.

Talking about guesswork,well I think any FTG is supposed to make you guessing,and DOA's guesswork is one of the best.
What I don't like in DOA6 is mindless simplification——Shimbori said these simplifications are for new players but I doubt it.Every single hardcore FTG has a deep system why would they try to make DOA6 easier than DOA5?You mentioned SS,well in DOA6,it's like every fake-tracking moves are gone,and :s:&Fatal STS literally denies fast high to mid moves too.It's like TN telling you that this is the best option,deal with it,NO more guessing.So I'm not OK with this,Oh urrr...Not only in system level,EVEN in command-input level (though we all know that DOA series are input friendly enough)DOA6 is easier too.My friend tested Eliot yesterday, his classic :3_::P:juggles basically lower to Genfu's level which makes him a input-friendly character too.You won't see any "Yah Yah Yah"juggles in DOA6 lol

lol

What I don't like in DOA6 is mindless simplification

This is the only part I agree with as well as 4-way hold setting.

Everything else I can't really try to process due to language barrier but it is what it is. You have to keep up with the times or get left behind.

Are you suggesting DOA2 and DOA5 didn't? Lols.

Anyways, if it's frame advantage in that game then it's frame advantage in other games. Not exactly a massive contribution there.

Regardless, there's no need to go back to 3-way hold. It's not the norm. If everyone is sticking with 4-way, then that's the trend.

lol

This is the only part I agree with as well as 4-way hold setting.

Everything else I can't really try to process due to language barrier but it is what it is. You have to keep up with the times or get left behind.
sorry dude,I'm learning English right now:p

What you wrote is a whole of prejudices over me, without knowing anything of me.
Your believes then count nothing.
And it's just because I know the game had I said that. Without any chance of getting out from a stun than countering, this promote counter spamming. Without much time between two hits, this promote fast pressing for the next hit without caring too much of the opponent reaction.
This means press press press and hold hold hold.
Then, this is my opinion. Let's play the game before saying what is true.
But you, GarryJaune, should know people before assume to know anything of a person.
It's only a matter of intelligence.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD