Ninja Gaiden Thread

Brute

Standard Donor
As for Ryu his 360 Triangle UT with the true dragon sword has horrible launch capability now and does not even launch half the time.
I noticed this, too. I wasn't sure if it was a Sigma change as I am constantly tripped up by my familiarity with the xbox titles, but this things never picks up. it's complete dogshit and I have no idea why. The regular DS UT has extreme pathfinding issues, too, making it a very inconsistent weapon in a game that really demands proper UT utilization.

Mystifying.

Brute

Standard Donor
I would kill for a mod that reverted the Lunar moveset in NG3RE to its NG2 iteration.

They literally canned all three of its signature moves, and in return, we get what? Second-worst crowd control? The worst SoB?

I'm sure there are redeeming aspects of the NG3RE Lunar that I'm just not seeing yet, but maaaaaaan do I not like the feel of this.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
I would kill for a mod that reverted the Lunar moveset in NG3RE to its NG2 iteration.

They literally canned all three of its signature moves, and in return, we get what? Second-worst crowd control? The worst SoB?

I'm sure there are redeeming aspects of the NG3RE Lunar that I'm just not seeing yet, but maaaaaaan do I not like the feel of this.

Damn the Lunar is a beast in NGRE tho haha

Brute

Standard Donor
Damn the Lunar is a beast in NGRE tho haha
Any pointers on what I should be doing with it relative to other weapons? Historically, it's been a crowd-control weapon with big hitboxes and quick stun-locks, but I feel like the Scythe and Kusari-gama have it outclassed in those respects.

I really hate what they've done to the old YYY string. It used to have godly re-track properties mid-string and had a gigantic vertical and horizontal hitbox making it the ultimate keep-out tool against mobs and enemies with finnicky movement if you bump their collision (like Van Gelfs). Now it can only be accessed as part of a string (so, prepare to get reflected before it comes out), has garbage re-track causing it to whiff all the time, and just leaves you hella-exposed.

I hate it so much.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Any pointers on what I should be doing with it relative to other weapons? Historically, it's been a crowd-control weapon with big hitboxes and quick stun-locks, but I feel like the Scythe and Kusari-gama have it outclassed in those respects.

I really hate what they've done to the old YYY string. It used to have godly re-track properties mid-string and had a gigantic vertical and horizontal hitbox making it the ultimate keep-out tool against mobs and enemies with finnicky movement if you bump their collision (like Van Gelfs). Now it can only be accessed as part of a string (so, prepare to get reflected before it comes out), has garbage re-track causing it to whiff all the time, and just leaves you hella-exposed.

I hate it so much.

Oh man I haven't touched the Lunar in 6 years haha. From what I remember the best strings and crowd control moves come from the light attack starters.

If at the end of your combo string, the enemy doesn't delimb, cancel into heavy attack everytime.

360T -> into heavy cancel is good when you get swarmed.

For the light combos into heavy, for crowd control, you want to manually target all the enemies around you with the d pad.

YYYY - always cancel it into heavy attack. For non armored enemies, even in UN any cancel into heavy attack has a pretty high delimb rate which will go into an instant OT. On your first heavy cancel that goes into OT you want to keep continuing this on enemies around you until it stops.

3:41 - Lunar Gameplay

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor

Brute

Standard Donor
Oh man I haven't touched the Lunar in 6 years haha. From what I remember the best strings and crowd control moves come from the light attack starters.

If at the end of your combo string, the enemy doesn't delimb, cancel into heavy attack everytime.

360T -> into heavy cancel is good when you get swarmed.

For the light combos into heavy, for crowd control, you want to manually target all the enemies around you with the d pad.

YYYY - always cancel it into heavy attack. For non armored enemies, even in UN any cancel into heavy attack has a pretty high delimb rate which will go into an instant OT. On your first heavy cancel that goes into OT you want to keep continuing this on enemies around you until it stops.
Aren't all of these just generic mechanics that apply to basically all weapons, though (except 360T/360Y)?

I don't mean to sound dismissive, but I'm trying to figure out why someone would use the Lunar in place of literally any other weapon, all of which share these basic functions/strategies, and so far, I'm coming up short.

Sotherius

Aren't all of these just generic mechanics that apply to basically all weapons, though (except 360T/360Y)?

I don't mean to sound dismissive, but I'm trying to figure out why someone would use the Lunar in place of literally any other weapon, all of which share these basic functions/strategies, and so far, I'm coming up short.
The Lunar has some clear advantages, is one of the strongest weapons to deal with regular enemies in ng3re.

When you hold heavy attack and release it, (without fully charging ET or UT), you do a hold attack, which is an universal mechanic in ng3re, so far so good. The lunar has the propertie of said attack being fully invincible and i think you can shuriken cancel it, being a completely safe move that also has high priority and high delimb chance. You can do from any non launching heavy attack. (This invincibility property on held heavy attacks is only shared by ayane and momiji besides the lunar staff).

The lunar in general has high delimb properties like it used to in NG2. The 360Y has good crowd control, even more coupled with the spinning shuriken move. The jumping heavy attack has iframes.

And the last but not least advantage of the lunar is that it builds lots of meter, faster than any weapon i think, in both regular attacks and OTs, and all of its UTs set up OTs afterwards, It is a very good weapon to use ninpo constantly in battle.

Brute

Standard Donor
The Lunar has some clear advantages, is one of the strongest weapons to deal with regular enemies in ng3re.

When you hold heavy attack and release it, (without fully charging ET or UT), you do a hold attack, which is an universal mechanic in ng3re, so far so good. The lunar has the propertie of said attack being fully invincible and i think you can shuriken cancel it, being a completely safe move that also has high priority and high delimb chance. You can do from any non launching heavy attack. (This invincibility property on held heavy attacks is only shared by ayane and momiji besides the lunar staff).

The lunar in general has high delimb properties like it used to in NG2. The 360Y has good crowd control, even more coupled with the spinning shuriken move. The jumping heavy attack has iframes.

And the last but not least advantage of the lunar is that it builds lots of meter, faster than any weapon i think, in both regular attacks and OTs, and all of its UTs set up OTs afterwards, It is a very good weapon to use ninpo constantly in battle.
Appreciate the breakdown. Thanks!

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
@Brute

Basically what Sotherius said.

The only reason I would use the Lunar instead of other weapons is out of boredom and because it's so fun and stylish lol :D

In that sense there's no point in using anything else other than the DS and Scythe since they're the best weapons in the game despite the Lunars high delimb rate, iframe properties. Pales in comparison to the all mighty 360T scythe and DS :,)

Brute

Standard Donor
@Brute

The only reason I would use the Lunar instead of other weapons is out of boredom and because it's so fun and stylish lol :D

In that sense there's no point in using anything else other than the DS and Scythe since they're the best weapons in the game despite the Lunars high delimb rate, iframe properties. Pales in comparison to the all mighty 360T scythe and DS :,)
Honestly, the weapon selection in RE feels odd to me, coming from 2. Fewer weapons, and they feel like they have less identity. But, to be fair, my knowledge of RE isn't all that sophisticated (never got into it the way I did the first two), so I'm hoping things clear up in time as I get acquainted. It also bothers me that the epigonos boss uses the NG2 moves for the talons/scythe, but I don't get access to them.

I will say that the female characters feel more thorough than their NGS2 counter-parts, and the mission mode in Razor's Edge feels less barebones than the Tag Missions in NGS2.

@Brute

So what weapons have the highest decapitate ratio. I know Aynae SSTT combo decaps 90% of the time. What combo with the dragon sword or dual swords has a high decap ratio?

Brute

Standard Donor
So what weapons have the highest decapitate ratio. I know Aynae SSTT combo decaps 90% of the time. What combo with the dragon sword or dual swords has a high decap ratio?
Are you looking for general de-limbs, or specifically decapitations?

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
General delimbs.
Dragonsword

T cancel T
SS-TT (probably the highest delimb and damage move for DS always delay the last T input, you'll go into instant OT animation if delimb occurs)
SS-SSST
SSSTTT (always delay before inputting the last T, if delimb occurs you'll go into OT animation)
SSTTT - I usually do SSTholdTT into guaranteed izuna instead
Running TTT (always delay before inputting the last T, if delimb occurs, you'll go into instant OT animation). If delimb does not occur, flying swallow into delayed launcher for guaranteed Izuna except for alchemist.
Forward SSS
Running SS

Dragonsword

T cancel T
SS-TT (probably the highest delimb and damage move for DS always delay the last T input, you'll go into instant OT animation if delimb occurs)
SS-SSST
SSSTTT (always delay before inputting the last T, if delimb occurs you'll go into OT animation)
SSTTT - I usually do SSTholdTT into guaranteed izuna instead
Running TTT (always delay before inputting the last T, if delimb occurs, you'll go into instant OT animation). If delimb does not occur, flying swallow into delayed launcher for guaranteed Izuna except for alchemist.
Forward SSS
Running SS
Thank you. What about the dual swords?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD