Nioh General Discussion

Lulu

I'm new to Nioh, how is this game compare to Bloodborne?

They have Similar surface elements... but at their core they are completely different.

Nioh's Primary stand out feature is its gameplay is LEAGUES ahead of From Software games (atleast until Sekiro comes out) Although further into the game you'l start encountering some lobsided "difficulty balancing" in the form of Blatant One Hit Kills and Damage Sponge Enemies... particularly if you're going to grab the DLC Missions.

That being said the experience changes depending how long you play it... first play through is typical RPG experience... you won't know what you're doing or how anything works so you'l mostly just be using whatever you pick up on the ground and make it through mosts challenges just barely... NG+ Is much better, you'l have your choice of gear and a better understanding if the system.

NG+ 2, NG+ 3 & NG+ 4 are just Grinds... long RNG Loot based Grinds... its like an MMORPG without the MMO part... don't know if you're into that sort of thing...

Edit: If theres ome thing you absolutely have to know before you get started... Its this:

When you get hit... you'l be stuck in this lengthy "Ouch That really fucking hurts" type of animation... and believe me when I say its really fucking long... so long that the enemy can hit you again... it won't be long before you encounter enemies that deal over 50% damage per hit (Infact the second Boss does this)... and they'l have combos that are 3 - 5 hits long, This can result in some "Fake Instant Deaths" . The reason they are fake is because regardless of whatever type of combo it is you can always hold down the Guard button and this allow you block the next attack in the sequence regardless of how long that "Ouch that really fucking hurts" Animation is. The Game does NOT tell you this... its not in the tutorial or in the general gameplay tips and tricks menu (Amirita Memories)... its something you're expected to figure out and you're only hint is that some human bosses can do the same thing when you hit them... which is also a problem in and of itself that you'l have to find some way around.

Theres a bunch of other tiny annoyances but this one is the primary one that blunders alot of first playthroughs.

Don't be a hero... if theres some feature or mechanic you don't understand. GOOGLE it... eventually you'l hit a wall thats going to make you do this anyway so you may aswel swallow your pride and get it over with as soon as possible.

Or just drop a reply here and one of our agents will assist you shortly. ;)

Last edited:

xRELICXx

Thank you for the information guys. I just needed to hear from players who played it. One more thing, i parry very well in Bloodborne and the game got really easy after NG+1 how is the parry system Nioh?

Lulu

Thank you for the information guys. I just needed to hear from players who played it. One more thing, i parry very well in Bloodborne and the game got really easy after NG+1 how is the parry system Nioh?

I don't know about the others but Parrying is... hmmmm... I would say its highly discouraged in this game... first of all it only works on humans... 2nd of all the humans that are practical to parry aren't a threat to begin with... so its meh... you can take it or leave it....

As for the parrying itself... it depends on which weapon ypu decide to use... Spear's, Kusarigama's, Odachi's, and Axes have a lengthy start up that makes trying to parry even the slowest attacks a pain in the ass.

Swords and Dual Swords are faster (they have two parries each... pick the faster one for both) but even then they still have start up and a very narrow window where the parry will actually catch something.

And last but not least... theres actually quite a high number of moves that simply cannot be parried when going up against human bosses...couple that with the insane amount of damage they do and you'l essentially have to learn parry timing & viability by dying over and over again.

I gave up on parrying and never looked back... its pretty clear they didn't want me to use it so I simply didn't use it... Hope I did them proud. ;)

Speaking of Weapons... you should try all of them... you get skill points for gaining proficiency with each weapon.

Sotherius

Parry is enemy specific in this game, only works with humans (including bosses, keep that in mind), and is not an universal mechanic, but a move you have to buy, there are different types of parries because of that. So you'll have one parry that will put you behind the enemy, you'll have other that put the enemy on a lying down state and so on, this affects battle strategy in general, so how you build William affects how you play in more ways than one. About the timing though, it is not that hard of a timing.

Lulu

About the timing though, it is not that hard of a timing.

Sure if you're going up against weaklings like the guys in the first area (Kyushu Region). But they die so easily its not worth the effort. I mean if you miss time it you lose big damage and if you get it right they don't take much damage... High Risk Low Reward.

Muneshige Tachibana and Nagayoshi Marume are pretty hard to parry... actually all The Weapon Masters are difficult to Parry except for Axe dude, Kintaro or whatever his name is (I don't think I've ever parried a single Kusarigama Attack)... but the grand daddy of them all has to be Jin Hayabusa... He has no attack thats slower than any of your mid stance attacks... pretty much unreactable.

Last edited:

xRELICXx

Parry is enemy specific in this game, only works with humans (including bosses, keep that in mind), and is not an universal mechanic, but a move you have to buy, there are different types of parries because of that. So you'll have one parry that will put you behind the enemy, you'll have other that put the enemy on a lying down state and so on, this affects battle strategy in general, so how you build William affects how you play in more ways than one. About the timing though, it is not that hard of a timing.

I don't know about the others but Parrying is... hmmmm... I would say its highly discouraged in this game... first of all it only works on humans... 2nd of all the humans that are practical to parry aren't a threat to begin with... so its meh... you can take it or leave it....

As for the parrying itself... it depends on which weapon ypu decide to use... Spear's, Kusarigama's, Odachi's, and Axes have a lengthy start up that makes trying to parry even the slowest attacks a pain in the ass.

Swords and Dual Swords are faster (they have two parries each... pick the faster one for both) but even then they still have start up and a very narrow window where the parry will actually catch something.

And last but not least... theres actually quite a high number of moves that simply cannot be parried when going up against human bosses...couple that with the insane amount of damage they do and you'l essentially have to learn parry timing & viability by dying over and over again.

I gave up on parrying and never looked back... its pretty clear they didn't want me to use it so I simply didn't use it... Hope I did them proud. ;)

Speaking of Weapons... you should try all of them... you get skill points for gaining proficiency with each weapon.

I see, so the parry mechanic doesn't play a big significant role in Nioh. High risk low reward, i would still like to try it out myself. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. I will order Nioh: Complete Edition soon:):thumbs up:

Lulu

I see, so the parry mechanic doesn't play a big significant role in Nioh.
Not at first. But if you want to go the distance and make it to NG+4 then it may help against some human bosses that you need to Farm like Magoichi and Nobunaga.

Edit:

Actually forget about Magoichi... I forgot he was a push over. That just leaves Nobunaga.

Theres also Player Revenants.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Koei Tecmo sent me this and opened this up in storage room:

Nioh-artbook-guide-db.jpg

Will take more pics. Also came with a Koei Tecmo wristband.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
The game was on sale for 25.00 on Steam! I have some time off and now seems like the time to GOOOOO! I've been meaning to play this for a very long time, and I'm glad to say this game holds up and it's beautiful.

Are there any quick tips? I'm choosing Odachi/Kusarigama and Isonade. Hope they are good choices. Also; are there achievements on Steam that you can miss out on? I played the holy fuck out of NG, NGB and NGII. I'm not scared, but I'm always down for some pointers/learning.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
The game was on sale for 25.00 on Steam! I have some time off and now seems like the time to GOOOOO! I've been meaning to play this for a very long time, and I'm glad to say this game holds up and it's beautiful.

Are there any quick tips? I'm choosing Odachi/Kusarigama and Isonade. Hope they are good choices. Also; are there achievements on Steam that you can miss out on? I played the holy fuck out of NG, NGB and NGII. I'm not scared, but I'm always down for some pointers/learning.
There are collectibles that you have to collect that you can miss during the game. Certain items too

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor

Back on the first patch, you were unable to use the Odachi and I think the Tonfas, so you only had to choose 3. I went with the Ax (which was a mistake since you need massive stamina gains to get the best damage portions out of it), so I picked up a Sword along the way. I'm not sure what I'd do with an Odachi super early in the game because it wasn't there until the DLCs were released, but if you use the sword you should get the kick skill as it drains massive amount of stamina on the regular grunt enemies for you to impale them to getting one shot kills (Square > Triangle / Square > Square > Triangle.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

@just_me @deathofaninja @Sotherius @CyberEvil - Storage room has bad lighting so I'll have to take them outside or something later, here's a page. (There's 51 pages total)
20181205_210557.jpg

Had to do this lol:
20181205_212958.jpg

I'd like to take more but I'll probably take them outside in broad daylight for my camera to properly get them without looking fuzzy. There's even a short guide book to different bosses all the way up to Nobunaga, DLC1, DLC2, and DLC3 without the last fox boss.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD