Nioh General Discussion

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I am so proud of my female character, I really hope I can keep her when the game releases
154129A1-191F-4B4C-9EF4-49B7C0CE5329.jpeg

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Can someone help me? I'm at the part where I cross the river bridge anf there's 3 enemies there, do I just run past them or how do I fight them because I wind up being shot or drowned in the river(Never mind I beat it xD)

Last edited:

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
This one is fun. I'm currently sticking to almost solely using heavy armor mid stance Katanas and the occasional Odachi (still don't know how to properly assign points lul).
Beat the two missions and the Twilight Mission, the arena just feels too cramped fighting against Maeda but I'm sure if I get several more levels it won't be too bad.
Favorite Yokai Shift so far is the Phantom but I almost solely use its counter just because you can use it as a get out of jail card almost in any situation you use it.
The new Yokai are neat, I agree with Brute about the cannon arm guys.
Haze and Mist parries seem to be tighter to time, I'm having issues properly countering really obvious attacks against humanoids and getting blown up for it.
Overall, so far so good.
Edit: Maeda's running attack where he spins his spear around himself is unlockable except to Phantom Burst. Keep that in mind.
Finally beat him using Odachi. He drops mid weight Eccentric Gear that deal with tanking/aggro and improves strong attacks. You also unlock the Okuri-Inu Guardian Spirit. Brute type.

Last edited:

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
One thing to keep in mind is that there is a new Kodama (or at least I think it's new) that wears a skull. When you greet it it "Looks like it wants something." I don't know if these things want a specific item but if you drop an item on the ground in front of them they will pick it up and give you 2-5 items in return. Rarity of given item seems to affect what you get back.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
For the PlayStation Plus owners who didn’t had the chance to play Nioh yet, it is the free monthly game.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So I noticed a couple changes that were not in the previous beta or previous Nioh entirely.

- They added that new burst mechanic that counters enemy specific special attacks. Some attacks that wasn't red in the previous beta were red now.

- It looks like they took off weapon bouncing off walls and invisible walls. Not sure how anyone felt about that, but I was absolutely not a big fan of it since you could hit the wall before the enemy. Especially using a spear or odachi in straight pathways with corridors and tight walls so I was kinda glad they took that out. I know it's suppose to be a thing of realism, but for a game like Nioh, it just did more harm than good (least imo).

- Seems some enemies got adjusted. Like the big brute Yokai with the sword/axe, if you were to hit him in the head and knock his horn off, he'd immediately go down for a free Iai Strike or impale (especially in Nioh 1), but now he doesn't go down at all and just briefly loses his stamina, which personally I was fine with that change, I always felt they were too easy to expose due to how slow they are and how obvious the attacks were. It was like a buff to where they don't get steamrolled too easily for having such a big weakness.

There's more to write but had too much fun with the game to remember lol. Could just be me here, but I guess they made some good changes to the Tonfas and Axe (?). In Nioh 1 they were just not viable (specifically the Axe) due to how the game was and the reward system for the risk you take with other weapons vs the Axe. A katana sword swing in 2 hits can deal as much damage as an Axe with one hit and you have more breathing room using the Katana due to recovery to get out of situations or to block in time, so it just felt pointless to use the Axe. It's how I felt with heavy gear in Nioh 1 where you can have the biggest defense known to man with the biggest health buff from clan buffs and still get one-shotted in higher difficulties.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
So far my only real complaint with the demo is that I'm not digging this black & white mode, or whatever it's called (Dark Realm?). It's clearly meant to encourage use of your yokai transformation and abilities, which I have absolutely no interest in using. The ki reduction is annoying, sure, but honestly the thing that drives me nuts about it is how obfuscated everything looks. I can't fucking see anything, so I can't properly dodge or position myself. Furthermore, I don't quite understand how the triggers work in boss fights. I've had boss fights where about 40% of the fight was in black&white mode, and I've had other fights where damn near the entire fight is in black & white mode.

Your game is gorgeous, but I can't fucking see it or play it properly when you make it go into noir mode. Really hoping the functionality changes before release.

Everything else is 10000/10. Best shit ever.
Even if I can't seem to get the dodge timing right against snake boi's drill attack for the life of me

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Oh yeah speaking of Dark Realm, I've also noticed that if you summon a revenant in the Dark Realm, they come out in a transformed state. And if they leave they go normal.

yeah I had to adjust my monitor settings a bit to actually react to shit in there in the Dank Realm. I've managed to tolerate it but it's still a pain in the eyes.

Brute

Standard Donor
There's more to write but had too much fun with the game to remember lol. Could just be me here, but I guess they made some good changes to the Tonfas and Axe (?).
Tonfas were actually amazing in Nioh 1. IMHO, they had the best guard pressure/ki depletion of any weapon, and were my go-to pick for humanoid enemies when I wasn't cheesing with Daiba-Washi.

The Axe I never used much in Nioh 1 because, as you said, it kinda sucked ass. What did they change about it in 2 that makes it better (haven't been using it; too much other fun stuff to try)?

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Tonfas were actually amazing in Nioh 1. IMHO, they had the best guard pressure/ki depletion of any weapon, and were my go-to pick for humanoid enemies when I wasn't cheesing with Daiba-Washi.

The Axe I never used much in Nioh 1 because, as you said, it kinda sucked ass. What did they change about it in 2 that makes it better (haven't been suing it; too much other fun stuff to try)?

It was still hard to tell for me since I leveled up a huge ton and didn't even try the Axe until I finished the beta entirely, I didn't even put the proper stat points into Axe either and just been unlocking the skills behind it. Some moves are rather the same but the stamina burns for mid stance attacks don't seem as risky as it was before (?). Then again, I did put point into COURAGE long before that so it could just be stats holding me at the moment. There was a heavy stance strike that actually causes an enemy to flinch vs chance to flinch back in Nioh 1, tried it on that giant 6-headed abomination enemy where I was stunning it with one of the heavy strikes.

But hey, might just be a rare case where it's just that enemy or that toughness stat thing. If I was to do it to a revenant with a huge toughness stat, he'd probably still go right through me with a simple sword. It just looks weird where it becomes a moment of "Holy, I have a Axe and hit you with my biggest swing but just go right through my attack in trade I guess lol."

just_me

Standard Donor
I took notes while playing through the demo since I knew there would be a feedback survey… it doesn't have a “final thoughts” text field though and they don't really ask for anything substantial in other places either… so I'll just past it here.

Overall I liked the demo, though I highly doubt a single person that complained that the alpha “looks like a PS3 game” and “is just Nioh 1.5” etc. will change their mind since… there are still no major surface-level changes.

I think they made a decent effort addressing common complaints like level design, enemy variety and so on and even the returning enemies have a bunch of new moves. They are also trying to address the excessive min/max potential of the first game… it's like they took Nioh's RPG mechanics and clobbered them with the biggest nerf hammer they could find (which is a decision you may love or hate) I still think having a char creator is a waste of budget, but at least the result is decent… certainly better than FromSoft's efforts after 5 games lol

Anyway here's some stuff:

BUGS AND ISSUES
  • constitution is still called body for gear requirements
  • given a certain distance (enemy?) projectiles can pass through walls and other objects
  • physics seem to sperge out on occasion when you knock an enemy off a ledge
  • UX in item list submenus is noticeable different (e.g. square is “lock” in normal item list, but “selection settings” in the equip item list)
  • even in the item list on the world map triangle is “watch movie” for soul cores and not “send to storehouse” (you have to use the submenu to stash cores)
  • if you level up on the world map, the Amrita count will stay golden in the next mission, till you level up again

BALANCE/WISHLIST
  • certain passive bonuses have been hit too hard(e.g. from skill trees, dmg boosts, set bonuses to a lesser extent). 15% Yokai CCD from an accessory was too much, but 1% is too low… spending skill points on passives is already lame, but spending points on passives that barely do anything is even worse and having randomized loot that's always trash ain't good either.
  • they should really get rid of the cost penalty for consecutive soul matches
  • It might be a good idea to have fixed first-time loot spots for gear sets and some weapons. E.g. a certain chest/body/enemy yields a full Sohaya set the first time, after that the normal loot table applies.
  • backstab/sneak attack on Yokai should trigger the grapple animation (just like on Humans)
  • I’d get rid of inheritable stats on weapons and certainly on armour
  • since most skill tree passives are now weapon bound, less overlap between available passives in skill trees would be nice
  • timely-guard should be more prominent, e.g. have a unique sound and visual effect so it’s easier to tell when you do it successfully (and maybe regain some Ki if successful)
  • it should be possible to apply selectable active skill buffs (e.g. Arcana of Water) to more than 1 skill per weapon (so I can add the elemental effect to all my Iai Strikes for instance)
  • that custom active skills stuff was too well hidden, to begin with… I can guarantee 90% of players were too low IQ to figure this out
  • Yokai Form needs a bit of a buff imo. Maybe Awakening your weapon in Yokai Form should yield a more substantial buff (e.g. bigger dmg boost, higher attack speed)
  • Would be nice if the Shiftling tree contained new active skills for Yokai form (e.g. Combo Enders)
  • Brute Burst Counter is way easier to land than the others imo
  • there really should be some sort of instant charge mechanism to awaken your weapon while Yokai shifted
  • Kinda hope at some point in the game it will be possible to assign the used Yokai form to the GS (so you can have Kagewami with Brute form for instance)

MISC (just random non-feedback stuff I noticed)
  • the Twilight mission has a farmable Onmyo Mage lock at the end
  • Scampuss Dmg is doubled while in Dark Realm
  • if a Burst Counter crumples and enemy, you can get your finisher while still in Yokai form… sometimes
  • Corrupted Weapons can be Soul Matched with Soul Cores, so they can inherit stats that cannot be rolled on weapons normally (well you can’t re-roll anything in the demo anyway)
  • Seems only armor pieces will be part of item sets in Nioh 2 (implications are obvious)
  • Auto-recover grave is nice
  • Yatsu no-Kami triggers Dark Realm when the body turned completely black
  • Sudama might sell items they received from other players in the Kodama Bazar
  • the map has secret spots that give you some information on the location and an item
  • Weakness now causes the same defense debuff as saturate, Sloth causes the same slowdown as electrified
  • Soul Core Rank has an effect on the strength of some stats on cores
  • You can raise proficiency only to level 19 per category in the demo

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
BALANCE/WISHLIST
  • Brute Burst Counter is way easier to land than the others imo
This is something I noticed, too. I was messing around with Yokai shift and summons the other night, and having Brute form makes the game about ten times easier because of that one trick alone. Normally I wouldn't mind if i could just neglect Yokai stuff altogther (as I'd like to), but they've really tried to force using them in a way that I don't like.

Let's take the Enki for example (I think that's their name; the staff monkey yokai). IIRC, they have a few "red" attacks that can be burst countered. Most can be dodged or blocked, even in tight quarters, provided you have good timing. This offers more freedom in how you wish to punish, or even gives you the option to retreat if you wish to pull them, use items or debuffs, etc. And that freedom is a core feature of what makes Nioh so damn engaging and addictive. But then they have this apeshit attack (no pun intended) where they strike a gazillion times in a huge arc all around. In open space you can dodge this fine, but if there's any obstacle nearby, you really have to burst counter, since you won't have the stamina to guard the full attack barrage and can't reliably dodge the entire sequence up close, even with light equipment and perfect dodge timing. They really force you into using the burst counter, which is not only boring and limiting, but also makes the consistency of landing burst counters the single most important aspect of your build, since all of the most dangerous enemy attacks can be burst countered.

The first boss is an excellent example, as well. On a first run, this guy can be an absolute nightmare. When he shifts into Dark Realm mode, it's pretty much the game's way of saying "Stop doing that dodge>attack>dodge dance every action game enthusiast loves so much in boss battles, because you're gonna run out of stamina. Use burst counter or bust." And that's it. If you burst counter him in black & white mode, he's actually pretty whimpy. But it's not fun, and the first time through I didn't pick Brute mode so the burst counter didn't seem like a reliable means of tackling its attacks anyway.

So basically, Brute mode is easy mode. Everything else is hard mode. Burst counters are boring. Yokai shift is a mess.

I like everything else, but I'm not liking this forced banality.

KnacKrover

EITf2qSWkAAD6jP.jpg

I name this stud, his name is Shuso, a wanderer with amnesia who has code of shinobi based on its clan whom using talisman/ninjutsu of dark-arts, the origins of the mystery ninja clan and Shuso himself are still unrevealed as the same of their purpose, however, Shuso is a man with few words, but caring.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD