Nioh General Discussion

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
LMAO!!!

2D8CD6D1-9740-4A0C-A441-83D333D14B3D.png

Brute

Standard Donor
So far, loving the new DLC. Haven't had time to finish it yet, but hope to tonight!

That said, fuck lightning. I can not stress how dramatically the addition of lightning turns something brilliant into something absolutely tedious. Whoever played Nioh 1 and thought "We need more sloth talisman all the time!" is an idiot with a fundamental misconception surrounding the appeal of fast-paced action games.

Tate Eboshi was cool as hell! One of my favorite Nioh 2 bosses.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So far, loving the new DLC. Haven't had time to finish it yet, but hope to tonight!

That said, fuck lightning. I can not stress how dramatically the addition of lightning turns something brilliant into something absolutely tedious. Whoever played Nioh 1 and thought "We need more sloth talisman all the time!" is an idiot with a fundamental misconception surrounding the appeal of fast-paced action games.

Tate Eboshi was cool as hell! One of my favorite Nioh 2 bosses.

I enjoyed it, i'm glad I wasn't the only one when it comes to the Lightning status ailment. I had issues with Lightning God Yomi boss where the fight took too long because of that ailment alone.

Overall, had a blast with the DLC and on the way to fight a certain someone.

KnacKrover

I did beat the first samurai dlc last night, it was overwhelming but the most of all missions was just too much light

Brute

Standard Donor
Okay, I've now completed all the main missions of the new DLC.

Overall, it's more Nioh, and I'm enjoying it a great deal. That said, IMHO, this is by far the weakest DLC pack in the franchise. The highlight, honestly, is the new weapon skills.

Story
It still sucks. I wasn't a fan of the story in Nioh 2 primarily because it hopped through time too frequently to feel cohesive, and because I feel that Otakemaru is just a lame villain. His personality, motives and appearance are all so blah, and fighting him "in my mind" was so underwhelming for what should have been a tense and emotional climactic battle. The DLC doubled-down on both of these flaws, making us a time-traveling agent who hops out of time periods as quickly as we enter them only to chase Otakemaru. They finally tried to give him some character development, and while I appreciate the effort, he's still boring and makes for an underwhelming nemesis. At least I get to actually fight him physically this time. Although, if I'm tracking the story right, we defeat him in ancient times, so I don't really get how or why he appears in the later canonical events, such as the base game story of Nioh 2.

Areas
The areas were pretty cool, here. I loved the forest/jungle areas with ponds, waterfalls, and gigantic tree branches. It felt appropriately ancient and atmospheric. The yokai-realm areas were alright. Sort of a cross between the Mt. Fuji Underworld in Ninja Gaiden 2 and the Oblivion gates from Elder Scrolls. The village area was a bit bland, and the lighting didn't help (I was squinting the entire time; why they opted to make the big, slaughtered-village set-piece in bright daylight is beyond me; looks much better at night).

New Skills/Equipment etc.
Some of the new weapon skills are great, and give some of the weaker weapon types the ability to keep up in a way that was desperately needed. That said, everything else was very disappointing. Nothing from Nyotengu. No cool new armors. No new weapon types. Some sorta interesting guardian spirits, I guess.

New Enemies
Bearded Baby - Pretty cool. Nice attack patterns. Decent gimmick with the stone skin.

Clusterfucky Chimera Bird - Everyone I know that played Nioh 1's DLC cites Date Shigezane as their least favorite boss. Now he's back, as a regular enemy, complete with another gigantic, screen-obscuring model, flaily hitboxes that cover the entire map, and hitpoints that put the game's actual, legit bosses to shame. Seriously, does anyone like this fucking thing? If so, please tell me why.

Reskinned Yoki - Kusari-gama Yoki with a hand cannon. Meh.

Reskinned Cyclops - Some fun variations to regular cyclops attacks, but most of the "difficulty" comes from being a damage-sponge. Meh.

Reskinned Yasha - Way too easy compared to the other "Elite" yokai, but by far the coolest design and attacks.

Reskinned Koroki - Fuck this dude.

Otakemaru 1 - Significant improvement over the form that serves as the final boss of the base game. Attack patterns are more interesting and varied, and none of that "Yokai Shift" bullshit. Still looks boring, but at least his attacks are cool. Would be a really solid boss fight if it weren't for fucking lightning. God forbid you get hit (or guard) once and then have to spend the next five minutes running around in slow-mo.

Otakemaru 2 - The final boss fight is somehow easier than both prior iterations of the Otakemaru boss fight. He's actually pretty fun, despite being stupidly easy. Or at least, when he isn't using lightning form. Same issue there as always. To be clear, it's not that "lightning attacks are too hard to beat," it's that they're somehow worse than one-hit kills because in the time it takes for the status to expire I could just kill myself and restart the fight. Anyway, compared to the amazing Tamamo-No-Mae fight atop the flaming castle, assisted by Yukimura Sanada and the Nioh theme overture, this was a pretty underwhelming finale.

Tate Eboshi - Hell yes! This boss has it all. Great patterns, interesting visuals, cool stage, great music... all the makings of a kickass Nioh boss fight. Easily the highlight of this DLC.

Nyotengu - Interesting variations to DOA strings (can we get these mix-ups in DOA, please?). Overall, fun, but ridiculously easy, and no fun loot/rewards, or even unique/interesting music selection or stage. Meh.

I know this sounds really critical, and that's partially because it is, but I still enjoyed the DLC and look forward to completing the side-quests, and eventually trying out the "new Abyss mode" (restricting it to the highest difficulty seems really weird to me; will probably wait until the PC version to delve into this mode). But I am a bit underwhelmed due to the high expectations that this franchise has always held itself to, and I do consider this the weakest DLC in either game by a rather notable amount.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD