"Now For Business..." General DOA5 Christie Gameplay Discussion

Doug Nguyen

That's fine though. Since you can stun with many different (and quicker moves), i.e. :6::6::P:, which chains to the barrage of strikes by tapping another :P:, which still puts you in stun, then you can pretty much go anywhere from there. She's really good now. Also, as you mentioned, the added sidestep feature is fantastic.

Having a sidestep after her :K::K: is also very nasty.

Personally, I prefer :8::K: as a mid kick launcher. i.e. use :K::K: to bait, cancel the last input and hit with :8::K: for a lovely juggle. Once they wise up to that tactic, mess about with mid punch launchers or just throw.

Her :4::F+K: is still a move I like to use, but it's trickier to connect, but you have the added benefit of being in Back Turn so you could follow with :P+K: for another mini launch and then fire away. I found :4::F+K: easier to connect after a side step, but it's still not that safe.

Also, I agree with the backdash. Man that opens up a lot of opportunities. Back dash and kick is nice :) and many many more.

@ILYA, no I'm fairly certain that :9::P: is still there. I was just mentioning that you cannot link punches to :7::P: anymore.

I remembered another move they took out. She used to be able to do :4::K::2::K::2::P::K:; however, you can't do the last kick anymore. I'm not fussed about this because I hardly ever did the last kick. Chances are that a good opponent will wise up from the first hit and either counter low expecting low kick or counter high expecting the hop kick (so chances connecting all four hits is slim unless you're fighting someone who's never seen Chrisite before), so I prefer to do the first kick and cancel, then punish with a mid or a throw.

She has a really nice new move that I've yet to put in my rotation to be honest. If you do :4::P::P::P: , she does the barrage of strikes that we all know and love. However, hold the last P instead, and she charges and pushes back on guard, you can hit :8: from there and she launches upward and you can continue the chain.

She's just lovely this time around, isn't she?
Seriously, shes so much better now. And less predictable with her new side step, charge moves and guard breaks. Glad to see her 4PPP is now chargeable, that move almost never landed, because it was so obvious and easy to block/counter.

Mr.Kwiggle

That's fine though. Since you can stun with many different (and quicker moves), i.e. :6::6::P:, which chains to the barrage of strikes by tapping another :P:, which still puts you in stun, then you can pretty much go anywhere from there. She's really good now. Also, as you mentioned, the added sidestep feature is fantastic.

Having a sidestep after her :K::K: is also very nasty.

Personally, I prefer :8::K: as a mid kick launcher. i.e. use :K::K: to bait, cancel the last input and hit with :8::K: for a lovely juggle. Once they wise up to that tactic, mess about with mid punch launchers or just throw.

Her :4::F+K: is still a move I like to use, but it's trickier to connect, but you have the added benefit of being in Back Turn so you could follow with :P+K: for another mini launch and then fire away. I found :4::F+K: easier to connect after a side step, but it's still not that safe.

Also, I agree with the backdash. Man that opens up a lot of opportunities. Back dash and kick is nice :) and many many more.

@ILYA, no I'm fairly certain that :9::P: is still there. I was just mentioning that you cannot link punches to :7::P: anymore.

I remembered another move they took out. She used to be able to do :4::K::2::K::2::P::K:; however, you can't do the last kick anymore. I'm not fussed about this because I hardly ever did the last kick. Chances are that a good opponent will wise up from the first hit and either counter low expecting low kick or counter high expecting the hop kick (so chances connecting all four hits is slim unless you're fighting someone who's never seen Chrisite before), so I prefer to do the first kick and cancel, then punish with a mid or a throw.

She has a really nice new move that I've yet to put in my rotation to be honest. If you do :4::P::P::P: , she does the barrage of strikes that we all know and love. However, hold the last P instead, and she charges and pushes back on guard, you can hit :8: from there and she launches upward and you can continue the chain.

She's just lovely this time around, isn't she?

Isn't :8::K: the move where she does like the split kick straight up similar to kasumi's? im pretty sure thats a high haha xD also in the string you listed you forgot the :P: but there is some good news. The :2::P: instantly grounds them if yoo do that combo while they are airborne and if they dont tech, you get a couple free down hits or you can jump on them haha

also with any string where she does the barrage of strings such as :4::P::P::P: or :3::P::P::P: if the first hit of the barrage hits you, you cant counter the rest of them!! finally i can put them to use outside of combos! but yea she is just gona be ridiculous to play against. Also as you you stated I love :6::6::P::P: can be followed up with the barrage now especially since its safe and puts a little distance between you and the opponent. I cant wait for her xD

Goro Hazuki

@Doug, yeah, we're in for a treat this time around.

@Mr kwiggle, having the barrage not being countered once the first punch hits is one of my favorite new updates for her! It seriously changes the game for Christie players in a good way.

Good catch, I did forget the :P: lol.

And finally, :8::K: is indeed a mid attack. It's very misleading because people assume it's high (because it looks like Kasumi's high split kick).

Doug Nguyen

@Doug, yeah, we're in for a treat this time around.

@Mr kwiggle, having the barrage not being countered once the first punch hits is one of my favorite new updates for her! It seriously changes the game for Christie players in a good way.

Good catch, I did forget the :P: lol.

And finally, :8::K: is indeed a mid attack. It's very misleading because people assume it's high (because it looks like Kasumi's high split kick).
What do you mean by the first hit of the barrage? Are you talking about her grab sorta attack from her 6PPP or are you using the word barrage to describe her fast pokes?

Einzelkind

Does the :6::6::P::P::P: turn into a combo throw if charged? I think I've seen it say so on the screen, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm really happy about her changes. She looks like so much fun to play now with her evasive moves. Now she only needs her trenchcoat back.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
If the string is truly gone, then that means :4: :K: :2: :K: :P: :P: will be the best wall combo string of choice. This one generally connects on most weights anyway, whereas the removed string worked well enough on midweights and lighter.

I thought that registered as a throw combo on hit and led to her guaranteed :8: :P: :P: ground bounce animation. Was this changed?

FakeSypha

Yes, in DOA4, it was a high attack. I think it changed to mid in DOAD.
It was high on Dimensions too.

So, :8::K: and :4::H+K: swapped hit levels? Not sure how I feel about this, since I haven't played Christie on any DOA5 build, but I liked the range of :4: :H+K: even if the follow up juggles weren't very damaging. Well, :8::K: height launching was really crappy in DOA4/D, so if that was improved (and if it is a mid) I am cool with these changes.
Anyway, I guess I'll be using more 8K than 4H+K. I don't like my launchers being whiffed because them low hold spammers, lol >.<

Good thread fellas, lot's of interesting stuff I wasn't aware. Keep it up!

Mr.Kwiggle

wow thats amazing i didnt know that it was changed to mid now, i didnt play Doad. But guys remember i said you can also use :4::K: as a launch now, it sends them pretty high. she just has so many great changes!! thanks for pointing that out and thanks for the vid!

LondonLust

I don't know if someone has said this already, but I think they should bring back her 4F+K launch height from 4.0 as a trade off for it being a high attack. It was really good.

Goro Hazuki

If the string is truly gone, then that means :4: :K: :2: :K: :P: :P: will be the best wall combo string of choice. This one generally connects on most weights anyway, whereas the removed string worked well enough on midweights and lighter.

Yeah, that's a nice combo for the wall. Also, good for height as you mentioned. From a low launch, you can also do :2::P::P:, cancel, and from there do :6::P::P:, or (my preference), :6::K::P:.

I thought that registered as a throw combo on hit and led to her guaranteed :8: :P: :P: ground bounce animation. Was this changed?

No this is still there, you can follow with :8::P::P: as you mentioned after, or do one of the strings I just mentioned above. I like holding the last punch in (for example) :4::P::P::P: from time to time because of the added benefit of the delay. If they anticipate the pokes and counter, you get them with the delayed charged punch and can continue with the (throw combo) by pressing P at the right time and follow with any combo you feel like.

And without double posting, I've been working on some CB set ups for her. Getting to threshold is pretty easy (i.e. :3::P::P:, :6::6::P::P::P:, then :6::P+K:(CB)), but a good player will anticipate with a mid hold. So it depends on the situation, but I felt I could either do an extra P (high) to throw them off and then go for CB, or just launch if they're already countering mid P.

So an example of a CB string would be:

:7::P:, :P::P::2::P:, :P:, :6::P+K:(CB), :9::K:, :P::K::K::8::P+K:,:P::P:
This gives you about 115 damage. I've worked on a few others. Will post on a dedicated Chrisitie combo thread once the game is final (no sense putting combos up now before the final build is released).

Mr.Kwiggle

Yeah, that's a nice combo for the wall. Also, good for height as you mentioned. From a low launch, you can also do :2::P::P:, cancel, and from there do :6::P::P:, or (my preference), :6::K::P:.

No this is still there, you can follow with :8::P::P: as you mentioned after, or do one of the strings I just mentioned above. I like holding the last punch in (for example) :4::P::P::P: from time to time because of the added benefit of the delay. If they anticipate the pokes and counter, you get them with the delayed charged punch and can continue with the (throw combo) by pressing P at the right time and follow with any combo you feel like.

And without double posting, I've been working on some CB set ups for her. Getting to threshold is pretty easy (i.e. :3::P::P:, :6::6::P::P::P:, then :6::P+K:(CB)), but a good player will anticipate with a mid hold. So it depends on the situation, but I felt I could either do an extra P (high) to throw them off and then go for CB, or just launch if they're already countering mid P.

So an example of a CB string would be:

:7::P:, :P::P::2::P:, :P:, :6::P+K:(CB), :9::K:, :P::K::K::8::P+K:,:P::P:
This gives you about 115 damage. I've worked on a few others. Will post on a dedicated Chrisitie combo thread once the game is final (no sense putting combos up now before the final build is released).

hey sorry to disappoint but there is a noticeable nerf on her :6::K::P:. the :P: is now delayed by default so it doesn't come out instantly anymore. The delay isn't terribly long or anything but the following combo doesn't work anymore: :K::P:, :6::P: or :4::K:, :P:, :3::3::P:, :P::P: :2::P::P:, :6::K::P:. The delay makes the last hit whiff :/ I hope they switch it back to how it was in Doa4.

but now for some good news also, the punch throw thingy that happens after you connect the charge. You can as you stated follow up with the :P: to get the ground bounce animation OR you can get a guaranteed hit because they are left in an unholdable stun. You could possibly stun them them even more or get a CB if you have staggered them enough. Only time will tell though. (Time needs to hurry up!!! xD)

p.s I look forward to posting combo vids with you!!!

Goro Hazuki

hey sorry to disappoint but there is a noticeable nerf on her :6::K::P:. the :P: is now delayed by default so it doesn't come out instantly anymore. The delay isn't terribly long or anything but the following combo doesn't work anymore: :K::P:, :6::P: or :4::K:, :P:, :3::3::P:, :P::P: :2::P::P:, :6::K::P:. The delay makes the last hit whiff :/ I hope they switch it back to how it was in Doa4.

but now for some good news also, the punch throw thingy that happens after you connect the charge. You can as you stated follow up with the :P: to get the ground bounce animation OR you can get a guaranteed hit because they are left in an unholdable stun. You could possibly stun them them even more or get a CB if you have staggered them enough. Only time will tell though. (Time needs to hurry up!!! xD)

p.s I look forward to posting combo vids with you!!!

Yeah, I've noticed it's tough connecting after :P::P: :2::P:. If the opponents too low after a juggle with it, I try to squeeze in a last minute :2::F+K::P: instead. But it's not always guaranteed if they're too low and tech roll.

But on your positive point, do you mean avoid connecting on throw combo punch? so instead you just follow up after her hop with whatever you like? Does the stun last that long? I'll have to try this. I'll check if the opponent can shake out of it too. But it sounds good if it works.

Also, it would be great doing a combo vid :) Online training mode is going to be such a good tool for breaking down characters.

@London Lust, that's the :P: that we've been talking about in the last few posts. So in that vid, the Christie player did :3::P::P:, then held :P: for the third attack.

DrDogg

Just to clarify, if Christie got any additional buffs, she'd probably be OP. I see some of you guys asking for changes to compensate for some of her shortcomings from the previous game(s). She is not the Christie you guys once knew. Kwiggle played her like the Christie of old at GVN, but I guarantee that will be a play style of the past once you guys get a grasp on her new stuff.

She is 100% rush down and guard breaks. Evasion is a side thought. Changing a launcher from high to mid or making it launch higher doesn't impact the current state of Christie. Those changes are not necessary at all. Give her better throws and/or higher damage output and she'd be borderline OP.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD