"Now For Business..." General DOA5 Christie Gameplay Discussion

ILYA✰

Omg i love christie :3
She's so good ;) hope they only give her smthing in some patch and dont take anything away.

LondonLust

Making.....about half her movelist + frames on block is a start.

Umm no one in the cast has half of their moves plus frames on block. Just because someone's safe doesn't make them good. Look at Ayane, she's one of the best characters in the game and is one of the unsafest.

MasterHavik

Umm no one in the cast has half of their moves plus frames on block. Just because someone's safe doesn't make them good. Look at Ayane, she's one of the best characters in the game and is one of the unsafest.
I actually heard she was pretty safe. Is that true?

Goro Hazuki

Christie can be played safe, but she can afford to be risky because of her speed, mix-ups, and evasions. I don't think she needs any buffs. I just need more practice with her to get to a strong competitive level with her.

Ayane does have a lot of safe moves and she has her share of unsafe. One of my friends is a very good Ayane player and he mixes it up. So it comes down to how you play.

Safe is overrated sometimes due to the counter system against strong players. (i.e. a wrongly guessed poke against Bayman will cost you eating some heavy damage from an advanced hold).

phoenix1985gr

Xcuse my ignorance, but unsafe moves are the only ones that can be punished right? Not every move that puts you on negative on block... (i havent looked frame data yet since i dont have the game yet) but i mean like if a move is -2 on block is considered unsafe? Sure it kills your offense but you dont get thrown so you re good right?

MasterHavik

well it really depends on the situation. But I'm talking about her strings and some of her single moves are just horrible on block.

phoenix1985gr

ok so i mean when i see horrible my mind goes to -8 and more... is that the case with christie and other generally unsafe characters?

FakeSypha

- and a dragon gunner-esque sliding grab that gives you +21i. Jann Lee? Jann PLeese.
I really like the Shutai throw. Correct me if am I wrong, but I'm not sure if it has any guaranteed setup from it. I usually follow up with a :6::6::K: (not guaranteed, can be held). I do so mostly because it's what I did in DOA4, lol.

Am I missing something? =/

Goro Hazuki

I really like the Shutai throw. Correct me if am I wrong, but I'm not sure if it has any guaranteed setup from it. I usually follow up with a :6::6::K: (not guaranteed, can be held). I do so mostly because it's what I did in DOA4, lol.

Am I missing something? =/
Yeah, I do the same thing from time to time. But it's easily punished..so I always keep that in mind and it doesn't track. The throw gives good frame advantage, but the distance creates a challenge to follow with a guaranteed strike. The search continues.

On a side note, I am working on a full Christie breakdown at the moment. I plan on posting by Sunday. However, I would like some input from you guys on recommended strategies. I have my own way of playing with her, and it would be nice to have other players' inputs.

I will make a section for her general strategy: i.e. punishing wake up kicks with :214::P:. Then I intend to follow with a subsection that highlights various strategies which can be seen as different approaches to Chrsitie (and hopefully ways to switch strategies given the opponent and situation eventually). So Awesmic, Mr. Kwiggle, London Lust, Fake Sypha, ILYA, Doug, and anyone else, please post a summary of your strategy or certain tricks you use (if you can) with Christie so I can compile them.

An Example would be (excerpt of my own strategy):
Christie seems to be at a disadvantage when strikes are blocked, and even when some strikes land on normal hit. I don't feel she plays the frame trap game as well as other characters. However, her strings help her overcome this by allowing variation to her strikes. Moreover, her command SS can be connected into her strings which helps maintain offensive pressure on the opponent. I also like to use string delays (and cancels) with Christie and this strategy works well to bait a hold in your favor. Christie's spacing game is also very strong as she can quickly step back and dive in as the player sees fit. Christie has very good high crushes (i.e. :1::P:) and low crushes (i.e. :1::K:) that can be used to follow up with further strings.

I have more to say obviously, but it's an example of what I'd like to add from everyone's perspective. Of course, credit will be given to contributors :) It would be great to have this collection of ideas if you guys are bothered to help me out with this :p

Valentine

Really looking forward to this, Goro. Early on I was using her stance as a purely defensive maneuver since it seemed faster than her normal SS. Now I feel the opposite. While Jakeiho is great on super-linear opponents, against better players, the cat's out of the bag well before the game begins and it's only as part of a dedicated string that the move shines. I still really respect Jakeiho as a option to move backwards quickly in case a mid-range game makes the most sense.

Have you found this to be the case or could I be making more effective plays?

Scornwell

I play Christie in a rather... bizarre way, so I figured I'd contribute.

Christie is VERY, VERY good at taking advantage of the environment. Every angle that Christie finds herself in can be worked to maneuver an opponent into a danger zone.

A. Opponent's back to a wall/danger zone.
Options: 6kp, 6kk, 4p+k, 6p+h, 3p+kk, kkk, pkk, 6kk and I'm sure there's others.

B. Christie's back is to a wall/danger zone
Options: 4p+h, (midair and my favorite) 6k4k, 9kk to get behind opponent.

C. Opponent's back is diagonal to a wall/danger zone
Options: JAK k+h, JAK pp, JAK k, JAK 2k6k, JAK p+k

D. Opponent is perpendicular to a wall
Options: 66p+h, and SS+JAK+ see scenario C.

There are other options for straight "Opponent's back is to wall" and there's plenty of the same options for other characters, but Christie is boss at very efficiently and unpredictably knocking back opponents at the end of a combo who are at odd angles to walls.

Valentine

There are other options for straight "Opponent's back is to wall" and there's plenty of the same options for other characters, but Christie is boss at very efficiently and unpredictably knocking back opponents at the end of a combo who are at odd angles to walls.

Do you feel if Dojo comes up on random stage select then Christie is at a severe disadvantage?

Scornwell

Sorry for doublepost, btw.
Really looking forward to this, Goro. Early on I was using her stance as a purely defensive maneuver since it seemed faster than her normal SS. Now I feel the opposite. While Jakeiho is great on super-linear opponents, against better players, the cat's out of the bag well before the game begins and it's only as part of a dedicated string that the move shines. I still really respect Jakeiho as a option to move backwards quickly in case a mid-range game makes the most sense.

Have you found this to be the case or could I be making more effective plays?
You've got the right of it now. Jakeiho is a semi-decent evasion move at best. It has a much longer recovery frame period than an average SS.

I have issues with the backstep part of Jakeiho, as it only seems to cause a whiff if the opponent can react to the first part of the JAKstep (which they shouldn't be able to) and even then can only evade very short and slow attacks. Against an opponent with both fast sweep attacks and long reach attacks (like Hayabusa, I believe) using a JAKstep outside of a string is a 50/50 on your part. I really only found it useful if an opponent is aware of the time between the part of a string that leads into a JAKstep as a mixup strategy.

Do you feel if Dojo comes up on random stage select then Christie is at a severe disadvantage?
Man, I knew someone would bring this up! Thankfully, Dojo is disabled on default, so I doubt we'll be seeing it at tournament level. Besides that, I feel like Christie has enough offensive rushdown options to hold her own on a neutral playing ground. The environmental options are a BIG plus for her, though.

Goro Hazuki

Yeah, my findings are similar. Jakeiho is effective, but the SS is better for dodging attacks. That makes sense since the SS is a purely defensive/evasive move whereas the Jakeiho can be (and should be IMO) offensive. I only use Jakeiho for a defensive evasion if I'm fairly certain a crush I will use would work (i.e. :2::P+K:, :2::K:). This is due to the lack of options you have using the traditional SS. I am still ways away from where I want to be using this new evasive stance though. But that's part of the fun, isn't it?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD