Official DC/MD/VA Thread

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Good times tonight at Xanadu. I think my Mila has progressed, and it's great to see Shin Oni progressing as well. You missed out VK, we need more players at the place :D.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Good times tonight at Xanadu. I think my Mila has progressed, and it's great to see Shin Oni progressing as well. You missed out VK, we need more players at the place :D.
Yea I figured. Once I get my car back, I'm going to the monthly this Saturday. Also, now that I start working at my job I'll always be available after 6:30, meaning that I'm heading to Xanadu every Wednesday.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
What time is the Saturday monthly? I have plans for the evening around 8 pm.

ookamunka

Finally got to play you some Matt, and since I'm horrible with names I already forget who the other guy was that was playing also. I need to sit down with the game some more, which hopefully I'll have more time for now that I've pretty much given up on UMVC3 and possibly SF4 as well. They just aren't satisfying to play to me anymore, and playing DOA despite not having touched it since the first week or 2 it came out was very fun.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
At least I know what to do against Mila players now. But I'm looking at the bracket for the Guys vs. Girls tournament and I have to fight a Lisa player.

Nonetheless, good playing you Matt and also the other guy who played Mila.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I would like to start doing gatherings some more at my place.

VirtuaKazama was nice enough to come by yesterday for some matches. I'd like to think he learned some things, and would like to extend the offer out to any other people in the area who want to step their game up.

If you'd like to see the stream we had for our session, here are the two links:
Part 1: http://www.twitch.tv/freestepdodge/b/355570400
Part 2: http://www.twitch.tv/freestepdodge/b/355587785

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Xanadu monthly is Saturday. Look forward to seeing all those who can make it!

Gruff757

Standard Donor
Yo Blackula when are you gonna add me to the SOVA list? lol

Btw, anyone else going to Civil War in April?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I'm looking into it.

Anyone up for some casuals this week? There's also an event at eStarland this weekend where we can meet up for some more casuals.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yes.

The event can't officially use DOA5 as a game for this particular event, but I'm told that they might accommodate a spot to play the game if a setup is brought.

Nightpup

That Xanadu place you were talking about, Wah, does it have a fee of any sort? Because I have nothing whatsoever.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
like $5 I think if you're bringing a setup. Sometimes I just sneak by, and I think they don't charge if you're just playing but I could be wrong. So basically at worst prepare for $5 fee for the entire night.

I've been trying to get the group to show up at my place instead since it's free.. and a bit more comfortable, and I can stream our play as we grow. However, meeting new people they generally don't want to start at someone's house.

Nightpup

like $5 I think if you're bringing a setup. Sometimes I just sneak by, and I think they don't charge if you're just playing but I could be wrong. So basically at worst prepare for $5 fee for the entire night.

I've been trying to get the group to show up at my place instead since it's free.. and a bit more comfortable, and I can stream our play as we grow. However, meeting new people they generally don't want to start at someone's house.
I'd rather show up at your place but I don't think that's a possibility at the moment. Xanadu seems to be the best bet as we'd have to go through the usual parent stuff; them meeting you, examining the scene, deciding if they trust you, etc.
Even then, Xanadu's a longshot, but I'll do my best to try and attend if I ever get an OK.

Nightpup

One other question. When exactly do you all meet up at Xanadu? That way I can give a time and place to my parents and see what goes down.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
in general it's around 6pm. Lately though it's just been me, and maybe Shin Oni. I might be picking up Virtua Kazama from UMBC though.

I'm from Prince George's county maryland, are there any local tourneys that take place regularly that I can attend?

In terms of tournaments just look out for VA or PA tournaments. There hasn't been enough offline support in Maryland to warrant the tournament. Focus is on gatherings more than tournament, which honestly i prefer over tournaments as it's basically no pressure casuals/learning sessions. You use gatherings to build up your local scene and get it to a point where you have enough people for a tournament.

N0rdicNinja

For the eStarland tournament, all of our equipment will be used for the tournament itself. But if someone brings a setup for DoA I have zero issues with you setting it up! More DoA players the better! =)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD