Rachel General Discussion

DontForkWitMe

You're cool bro. I see you like to dick ride like a certain other person.

how is calling out your hypocrisy dickriding? You claim people need to stop crying for nerfs and learn to fight her and then when you faced someone who knew how to fight her and wasn't falling for your braindead bs you quit and ran like a butthurt clown.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I'm not gonna lie. As a man of compassion, part of me would want to say "don't everybody gang up on KingGhidorah all at once" at this time, but even I can see the blanket statements clear as day. There's no way I can defend this based on what I'm reading.

I can only hope he understands the folks on the other side of the debate aren't looking to butcher Rachel to USDA choice beefcakes and make her totally unplayable. But rather, that their main focus is one simple, reasonable nerf to the recovery on her down attack that contradicts all others in the entire cast (the fact it automatically force techs with plenty advantage on hit is already more than enough to apply good offensive pressure). NOT a damage input nerf, NOT a stun property nerf, JUST THE DAD-GUMMED DOWN ATTACK RECOVERY ON WHIFF. But going by the outlook so far, it seems unlikely. I just hope I'm proven wrong.

KingGhidorah

I'm not gonna lie. As a man of compassion, part of me would want to say "don't everybody gang up on KingGhidorah all at once" at this time, but even I can see the blanket statements clear as day. There's no way I can defend this based on what I'm reading.

I can only hope he understands the folks on the other side of the debate aren't looking to butcher Rachel to USDA choice beefcakes and make her totally unplayable. But rather, that their main focus is one simple, reasonable nerf to the recovery on her down attack that contradicts all others in the entire cast (the fact it automatically force techs with plenty advantage on hit is already more than enough to apply good offensive pressure). NOT a damage input nerf, NOT a stun property nerf, JUST THE DAD-GUMMED DOWN ATTACK RECOVERY ON WHIFF. But going by the outlook so far, it seems unlikely. I just hope I'm proven wrong.

Okay, her 2K getting toned down wouldn't bug me, but JUST that. Anything else would simply be foolish... And I don't wish to be defended as it isn't required, I'll deal with things as I have already done.

Cla

Standard Donor
I think I understand why TN did what they did. Having stomp be punishable on whiff would make it useless because you can always escape by back-teching and then proceed to punish it. The only way to make it not useless in this case is to have combos that guarantee a stomp. But if you have guaranteed stomps, then that makes Rachel's blender even worse than it is now.

So basically, TN had these two choices...

1. Make stomp safe on whiff, but no guaranteed stomps
2. Make stomp punishable on whiff, but have guaranteed stomps

...and they chose number #1 because her blender does not need to be any more... blender-y.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
Spartan's juggle damage was way smaller in respect to the rest of the cast, and she didn't have an OH reset that could be done from her jab string, some of the best safety in the game or Rachel's 2K, which are the things people complain about. Anyway, that's assuming anyone cares about balance in DOA4 to being with (they don't).

@CIa: Looks like you played someone who was drunk. Not sure why that's noteworthy.

Spartan was still easily top tier. She could punish wake up kicks for free(and moves that were normally safe), did great damage on juggles, had way better ranged moves than Rachel with her 66P and 66K, and had a 50% life throw on HCT....and she was a super heavy weight. She was cheap as hell, people just didn't use her as much for whatever reason. Also she didn't need that blender because the ground game in DOA4 was like 10 times better than in 5U and like I said she literally punished wake up kicks.

If Rachel gets nerfed I want to see her get even more of spartan's moveset, haha.

KingGhidorah

She could use more moves, and more of Spartan's strings given to Rachel would certainly be a perfect fit minus the plasma grenade. Also, it sure has been a while. I doubt you'll remember me but I was known as Kasuyane ReBorn back on DOA central.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I think I understand why TN did what they did. Having stomp be punishable on whiff would make it useless because you can always escape by back-teching and then proceed to punish it. The only way to make it not useless in this case is to have combos that guarantee a stomp. But if you have guaranteed stomps, then that makes Rachel's blender even worse than it is now.

So basically, TN had these two choices...

1. Make stomp safe on whiff, but no guaranteed stomps
2. Make stomp punishable on whiff, but have guaranteed stomps

...and they chose number #1 because her blender does not need to be any more... blender-y.
After reading this, I actually want the DOA4 ground game to come back. It may be a troublesome game for a number of reasons, but its ground game was at least hella consistent and made sense across the board. You knew exactly when the player didn't techroll, down attacks were guaranteed in a specific window, and it was possible to land two. If we had this back with everyone having a good amount of frame advantage on wakeup, everyone would be happy, and not just fans of Sailor Mars and the Heels of Hell. Everyone would have to work under that pressure on wakeup, and then you'd know it's your fault you weren't on top of your game, not the way the game is designed.

Just my humble opinion.

EDIT: @KingGhidorah : GTFO! You're KasuyaneReborn, and you didn't bother to tell anyone, least of all me? Welcome back, lol.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
I think I understand why TN did what they did. Having stomp be punishable on whiff would make it useless because you can always escape by back-teching and then proceed to punish it.
So now moves that are punishable when whiffed are useless? No, that can't seriously be the argument you just made. Please rephrase it.

KingGhidorah

EDIT: @KingGhidorah : GTFO! You're KasuyaneReborn, and you didn't bother to tell anyone, least of all me? Welcome back, lol.

Just my humble opinion.

I didn't think to say it until now, mostly 'cause it just struck me to even say so lmao. And not to mention this thread kinda side tracked my thinking slightly, so forgive me. xD

Cla

Standard Donor
So now moves that are punishable when whiffed are useless? No, that can't seriously be the argument you just made. Please rephrase it.
What I mean is... If you can not guarantee stomp from combo (meaning your opponent will back-tech everytime to avoid it)... and if it is punishable on whiff..... then why would you ever do stomp? Obviously noobs will not back-tech it, but in serious play, it would ALWAYS be avoided and punished, making it pointless to do.

SilverForte

That's when you choose not to stomp, and retain the advantage if they tech anyways. Stomp would be if they decide to not tech.

Cla

Standard Donor
But there's literally no reason for them to not tech. The situation after teching against Rachel is A LOT more desirable than getting caught by stomp.

SilverForte

As it stands right now, there is no reason not to tech backwards against rachel, and she'll be at advantage regardless even if you do so. If the stomp was nerfed so that she would be at disadvantage if it whiffed, you would actually have a reason to stay on the ground and risk a wakeup kick, as the Rachel would actually have to choose whether or not to use the stomp or not, as of now there is no reason not to.

Brute

Standard Donor
But there's literally no reason for them to not tech. The situation after teching against Rachel is A LOT more desirable than getting caught by stomp.
Mind games. If they think you think they'll tech so you don't go for a stomp, they may get a WU kick or something. It'd be just like a normal force tech, which by the way, are still deadly, but not guaranteed.

Itz King Beebop

I've done some research in Training mode recently, and I found that you're always negative when you get up, even when you tech roll. There are characters that can leave you +18i on tech roll or wake up or whatever still. Why can't TN give Rachel the option to use the same type of mechanics to work in favor of her strengths with the stomp? Even if the stomp is safe on whiff a Rachel player is taking a risk every time she whiffs a stomp because that -2 or +1 or whatever isn't really something you want to gamble on, or rely on, especially on a whiff.

Reactions: Cla

Cla

Standard Donor
As it stands right now, there is no reason not to tech backwards against rachel, and she'll be at advantage regardless even if you do so. If the stomp was nerfed so that she would be at disadvantage if it whiffed, you would actually have a reason to stay on the ground and risk a wakeup kick, as the Rachel would actually have to choose whether or not to use the stomp or not, as of now there is no reason not to.
Mind games. If they think you think they'll tech so you don't go for a stomp, they may get a WU kick or something. It'd be just like a normal force tech, which by the way, are still deadly, but not guaranteed.
If you don't tech, Rachel can react and stomp. (I don't think it's possible to land, bait stomp, and then back roll to avoid it) And WU kicks lose to stomp, right? So again there is no reason to not tech, even if stomp is negative on whiff.

I should reiterate that my previous argument was strictly against the idea of stomp being punishable on whiff. I can agree to it being a little bit negative (maybe -2) if there is no way to guarantee it from combo, but really before we can say what is a fair frame situation for stomp whiff, we have to look at what the frame situation is after other chars whiff their stomp attacks. Obviously Rachel's should be worse, but we have to look at other chars' to figure out a starting point.

I've done some research in Training mode recently, and I found that you're always negative when you get up, even when you tech roll. There are characters that can leave you +18i on tech roll or wake up or whatever still. Why can't TN give Rachel the option to use the same type of mechanics to work in favor of her strengths with the stomp? Even if the stomp is safe on whiff a Rachel player is taking a risk every time she whiffs a stomp because that -2 or +1 or whatever isn't really something you want to gamble on, or rely on, especially on a whiff.
And honestly, in my experience, I always get beat out after a stomp whiff. I am just not seeing this alleged advantage she has after stomp whiff. Maybe it's there on paper, but it sure doesn't seem to be there in battle.

Last edited:

Drake Aldan

And honestly, in my experience, I always get beat out after a stomp whiff. I am just not seeing this alleged advantage she has after stomp whiff. Maybe it's there on paper, but it sure doesn't seem to be there in battle.
What are you using? You're pretty much limited to 6P/6K, anything else is too slow and you will be jabbed out.

This is my current understanding of the blender.

When you are hit with the stomp, Rachel is +15 (I think), and she can do 8K or 4PP or throw. 8K can still be sidestepped in this instance!- but 4PP is tracking, so your odds aren't good. (You could probably use 6KP or something instead of 8K, that's your choice...)

When you back tech, Rachel is forced into using 6P, 6K, or throw, which makes it a plain 50/50. Sidestep to avoid 6P/6K, or jab/attack to Hi-Counter the throw. Rachel can use 66T to complicate things, but 66T does no damage and just puts you in the same situation again- block to defend against 6KP or what have you, or attack to Hi-Counter the throw. (The only thing guaranteed from 66T is a PP stun, and then you're just playing regular DOA.)

I've faced worse odds than 50/50 and I don't think it's so bad at all. (Viola...) But, if people can't figure it out, I don't have a problem with it being nerfed.

I have to wonder if they will just nerf her and not give her anything, though. Rachel seems to me like she's a grappler, baiting mid punch holds, without Real Grappler Damage™.

Itz King Beebop

If TN takes away Rachel's stomp, I think they should make either more frame advantage guard breaks, or 12i mids. If 6P was 12i she could more easily contend with her numerous bad match ups (and trust me, she's got plenty) and on top of that she could more easily mix up her 6P with her 416T

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD