Ryu Hayabusa: The Thinking Man's Super Ninja

Brute

Standard Donor
Yes he can. Any hard knockdown will go through floors in this one, including a counter blow into a tripping animation. That actually is unfortunate lol.
That seems like it would get rather frustrating, but an Izuna through the floor I must admit would be pretty badass. I'd imagine it would net quite a sum of damage as well.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Yeah the floor thing will interrupt you to be sure. Can't play a force tech game at all when it happens.

As for the Izuna off of ledges thing, I just got confirmation back that, at least in the .95 build, you CAN NOT Izuna off of ledges. It was tested on Flow, presumably in the area that allows a clean knock off of the raft and not through the cliffhanger. Dude knows his shit so I believe him. So while it's not 100% confirmed to be out, there's a good chance it is.

Damnit.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Agreed. I'm almost positive I did it, though. Still possible it's in the final build, so all hope is not lost yet.

EDIT: Somebody else just told me they did it in this build on End of the Earth, which is the level I'm almost positive I did. I'll let them post up if they want to, but it may be level-specific.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Manny has only been barred from competing at one event so far in the States. He absolutely could have come to GVN. I'm not sure he would have come anyway, but I do know he was helping out Tecmo at the Gamestop event in Texas literally the day after GVN ended. That very well could have been the whole reason.

That's what I meant. He couldn't attend the second IPL event since he won the first one. To be honest, I wasn't even expecting him to show up at GVN even if he was able to go.

Also, another quick question. Is Hayabusa's throw from his handstand still his only offensive hold, or has he gained more since the alpha demo?

TakedaZX

In any case, to expound a bit on the lows hitting aerial moves and low crushes sometimes, it's not too much different than a character trying a jump kick to crush a rising kick and missing it. The window is relatively small but low-crushing attacks are still vulnerable to lows. If I had to guess, all that happened is the active frames on the attack are a bit later than we're used to from previous DoA titles. I'll grab Rikuto to try and explain a bit more but that's what I figured from it all. A lot of attacks getting stuffed that didn't look like they should at that point. Again, Eliot seems to be capable of shutting down nearly everything at range if he wants to and I wouldn't be surprised if the whole reason was the frame data on a lot of the moves I was using is simply a little different.
Yea, makes sense. I could see it for the 1st two hits in particular.
The first one doesn't crush, it's just a flying knee, and his back leg is still down.
The second kick he switches legs so, but the changed leg is still low enough.
The 3rd's a complete low crush though.

What Ryu moves are misleading on low crush ability?

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
That's what I meant. He couldn't attend the second IPL event since he won the first one. To be honest, I wasn't even expecting him to show up at GVN even if he was able to go.

Also, another quick question. Is Hayabusa's throw from his handstand still his only offensive hold, or has he gained more since the alpha demo?

That's the only one he has.

What Ryu moves are misleading on low crush ability?

It's a game-wide thing. It's not just Ryu that gets hit when he shouldn't or vice versa.

MajesticBlue

Do you think that his handstand oh will have any real uses in neutral? Since I enjoy over thinking things, it is still an oh, a tool not everyone has. First thought was he can do it pretty quick with 34T. Nah, he has to have better options then going for that.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
His handstand crushes highs, so there's that. It's useful as a juggle extender as well. You should never just do it when both fighters are just sitting at neutral though. You'll either get thrown or hit pretty hard.

synce

How is the current Ryu compared to alpha demo? I played as him a few matches and it makes me mad how good he is lol

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
He's better and has more tools but he's even more technical now. He'll ultimately end up in the upper tiers again most likely but it's hard to say for sure. A lot of characters, particularly Bass, Eliot, and Brad Wong, were improved massively over 4 so we'll see.

Brute

Standard Donor
I actually had a question. When on the wall (7P against a wall), you seem to be able to press P again to do his headbutt lunge, or the throw button to do his guillotine throw from off the wall. Is there any command that let's him flip high over his enemy's head from off a wall (not an actual attack, but rather a maneuver), or are those his only two wall options?

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
He can still kick off of the wall by pressing K when he flips into it, which vaults him high up and over the other player. It's almost always a terrible idea, though, unless the enemy commits to a move with a ton of recovery. As you aren't doing anything to the other player, they'll just be able to twiddle their thumbs until they decide what to bludgeon you with, have time for a drink, and then do it.

Brute

Standard Donor
He can still kick off of the wall by pressing K when he flips into it, which vaults him high up and over the other player. It's almost always a terrible idea, though, unless the enemy commits to a move with a ton of recovery. As you aren't doing anything to the other player, they'll just be able to twiddle their thumbs until they decide what to bludgeon you with, have time for a drink, and then do it.
I find quite a few of the flashier moves like that. For example, unlike in DOA4 where the teleports could really keep the pressure up, in DOA5 the delay time after one of the standard teleport attacks (not the attack ones, ie: kick, hammerfist, throw) seems to give the other player plenty of time to hammer you after appearing next to them within range. And at least as far as I can tell, he only he the side directions to spawn to.
Glad to hear that's in there, though. I like those sorts of things, even if rarely applicable. I tend to be as if not more concerned with flare than victory, which I'm sure works to my opponent's favor more often than not.

Brute

Standard Donor
BTW let me just say it's going to be total BS if Ryu can teleport but Alpha can't.
Was she not able to in Dimensions? I only fought her in 4, and in that her entire moveset consisted of:
1) Teleport away from nearly every attack.
2) Zip across the entire screen for a throw that takes out over half your health.
3) Zip across half the screen with some ridiculous kick combo that also wipes out 1/3-/12 your total health.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
She could in Dimensions but I'm not sure the player could do it. Either way, keep Alpha 152 talk out of the Super Ninja's thread damnit!

In any case, his teleports are no better or worse than in 4. He's still teleporting in at neutral, it's just that if the opponent decides to start doing a move that tracks when they see you start to do something out of Ongyoin they're going to be several frames into their attack by the time you appear. This puts you at an artificial disadvantage where you have to block. If you want frame advantage you should be playing his guard break game hard since those are now his best ways to get it and he has a bunch of moves with that property. Otherwise you're just playing DoA5 'Busa wrong.

Brute

Standard Donor
In any case, his teleports are no better or worse than in 4. He's still teleporting in at neutral, it's just that if the opponent decides to start doing a move that tracks when they see you start to do something out of Ongyoin they're going to be several frames into their attack by the time you appear. This puts you at an artificial disadvantage where you have to block. If you want frame advantage you should be playing his guard break game hard since those are now his best ways to get it and he has a bunch of moves with that property. Otherwise you're just playing DoA5 'Busa wrong.
I'm sure I am. My only real experience is the now-outdated Alpha build against a very lackluster AI Hitomi/Ryu.

I could be wrong, because it's been a while since I played DOA4, but didn't Ryu have a third directional teleport that threw you either in front or behind the enemy, rather than limiting you to the sides? I could be totally wrong on that.

Also, I can't seem to pull off the wall flip in the demo with the K button. Tried it over and over and over again. Either I'm terribly messing up a simple input, or it's not in that demo build.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
There are less moves in Ongyoin in the Alpha. He has more moves and attacks from it in the final build. I have done the flip off of the wall in the Alpha build, though. It is with K, just as it is in the older games. Check out my Youtube channel for my matches against Rikuto because I know it's in a few of those matches. Rikuto also smacked me across the level pretty much every time I did it too.

Brute

Standard Donor
There are less moves in Ongyoin in the Alpha. He has more moves and attacks from it in the final build.
Excellent.
Out of curiosity: as of the latest build you've played, is the Shoho-Izuna still only available from the ongyoin, or did they re-allow it to be done with the old standing input? For balancing reasons, it's probably better the way it is in the Alpha, but it would be kinda nice to go right into it.
Also, is there any difference between the 1P+K and 2P+K Ongyoin? It seems like the 2P+K is faster, but I haven't had time to test 'em. Maybe 1 had a step-back?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD