Selectable hold (3-point and 4-point)

Brute

Standard Donor
It's a single player game. So you're good.
1) If it is exclusively single-player without the co-op feature of the first game, I won't be "good."
2) If it takes the route of Ninja Gaiden 3 (another "single-player" game), I'll be far worse than "good."

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm gonna use it on my younger cousins when they ask to play so I can destroy them faster xD
The 3-point system favors people less familiar with the game. Unless your younger cousins are better than you, that will have the opposite effect from what you stated.

Raansu

As the PlayStation stream has shown, the game will allow the selection between 4-point holds and 3-point holds.

Now at this point, I'm assuming that the 4-point system will be the standard for competitive play, both tournaments and ranked matches online.

is everyone in agreement with this, or are there actually any arguments for a 3 point system.

My personal preference would be 4 point hold. This ability to select which one to use is just going to be very bad imo. I believe we should have a standard and stick to it. I also feel this might split how the game is possibly balanced trying to make both systems worked. Like in DoA3 the 3 point hold only worked well because we didn't have the heavy handed stun system that exists in 4 and 5 and well, if you get a hi-counter throw its like 60% of your health lol.

I can't see a 3 point hold working if DoA6 is going to have the core stun system that doa5 has (play dimensions and see why 3 point is nearly nightmarish lol.)

MasterHavik

At first, I thought lobby searching in DOA6 would be better than in DOA5 because I wouldn't have to worry about the Tag option.

Oh boy, was I fucking wrong. My expectations for this game are declining with each new piece of information that comes out. Hopefully they don't fuck Nioh 2 up this bad.
Nioh 2 shall have a very easy mode where there is a hp pick with each enemy killed.

Brute

Standard Donor
lol of course the custom mechanics stuff should be offline-only
I think that would be a lot of work for stuff that would hardly ever be used outside of WAZAAAAA's mad scientist laboratory. Casual play general occurs online, and when people meet up for offline, they're usually competitive players who will want to play with tournament-standard settings.

Nioh 2 shall have a very easy mode where there is a hp pick with each enemy killed.
I mean, that's Nioh 1. Just use the Dual Swords with Sloth and Isonade.

WAZAAAAA

I think that would be a lot of work for stuff that would hardly ever be used outside of WAZAAAAA's mad scientist laboratory. Casual play general occurs online, and when people meet up for offline, they're usually competitive players who will want to play with tournament-standard settings.
well it's stuff they've already coded in dozens of DOA's so wouldn't it be like zero effort for them to add some cheap toggles in some obscure menu anyway

DR2K

3 point was a lot more natural and much easier to explain. If everything wasn't a fucking mid than they really should go back to it. Also the holding out of most stuns thing.

Contrary to popular belief, but DOA is very hard to get into and has a lot of sub systems on top of sub systems. Most 3D fighters are convoluted mostly for no reason.

MasterHavik

3 point was a lot more natural and much easier to explain. If everything wasn't a fucking mid than they really should go back to it. Also the holding out of most stuns thing.

Contrary to popular belief, but DOA is very hard to get into and has a lot of sub systems on top of sub systems. Most 3D fighters are convoluted mostly for no reason.
Not that hard to understand when 90% of the moves are unsafe on hit and block. Stuff like slow escaping and delaye dwakes up are nothing new. Something like KBD is actually important for footises in Tekken. Same with 8wayrun in SC.

Lulu

Indeed it is... which is why I appreciated the Comprehensive Tutorial they added in 5 Ultimate...

Its funny... the leap in the quality of the tutorial from 5 Vanilla to 5 Ultimate was so gigantic I still can't believe it was made by the same people.... Team Ninja was holding out on us... lol.

ryu_highabusa

We can't discuss the hold system without looking at it, now can we?

nNARzfy.png

Look at this mess.

The whole reason for 3-point, 4-point, and 6-point holds in the first place was because it was the only option to prevent spamming without introducing a "counter meter". Well have a meter now in 6 so... yeah. Maybe let's try that for a change?

I'm definitely of the opinion that 2-point (or maybe even 1-point?) is the way to go with each counter sacrificing meter. Especially because the meter now seems pointless. You're just building up so you can do this fancy animation that doesn't really matter. Who cares? I didn't go for PBs or slope throws either...

"Break Blow" doesn't really add anything significant to the game. But refreshing how counters work and making them more accessible at the same time? Now that's a fucking game changer. I actually have a reason to care about meter management.

Meter has the potential to be the most refreshing thing to ever happen to DOA since multi-tiered stages. You can even have the meter go gray or something to indicate certain un-holdable situations, eliminating yet another problem.

Edit: Corrected the inputs on the chart because the Japanese wiki listed them incorrectly. old for reference

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD