Selectable hold (3-point and 4-point)

Raansu

I don't think a 6 way is possible, if that was the case how would characters like Leifang be able to do their 3H or 9H defensive holds? XD

I imagine the same way they did parries back in the day. I don't remember the exact input, but like Kasumi's parry was something like 4 9 F or something like that in doa2 and 3. Similar to how advanced holds work right now.

Normal

Leifang already has advanced holds though. She has standard, advanced, and parry.
So she already has :4::9::h: for advanced kick, but also :9::h: for parry

If 6-way were to be option, she would become confused.

she is already confused.

parry could instead become :1::9::h: and :7::3::h:, but DoA controls have not been this precise.
Raijin to complete from
:7::3::7::3::T::5: :7::3::9::1::T:
despite input command
:8::2::4::6::T::5: :7::3::9::1::T:

Izuna to complete from
:248::6_::214::6842::T::624::2::T::T::9_::8::2_::T::4862::236::T::T::T::T::T::4::T:
despite whatever command really is.

leifang has too much option perhaps.

Last edited:

d3v

If they really want to keep the selectable hold systems in, they should make sure it's clear that the 4-way is the default competitive standard. So it should be the default option, and should be the only one used in ranked, and tournament mode, if the game ever has one.

NightAntilli

They must choose a default for online though. Why would anyone choose 4-way rather than 3-way? It's deliberately putting yourself at a disadvantage. Either that, or the 3-way should do significantly less damage.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
They must choose a default for online though. Why would anyone choose 4-way rather than 3-way? It's deliberately putting yourself at a disadvantage. Either that, or the 3-way should do significantly less damage.
It's either or there's no advantage disadvantage here. Both players are either playing 4-way or 3-way. If you're used to playing 4-way 3-way will feel easy and boring. 3-way to 4-way you just have to remember your mid kicks are 6:h:. That's literally all it is. I doubt it has any impact on damage or on the advanced holds a few characters have. 3-way is just easier to remember for new players even though they should be getting used to 4 since it's the competitive standard.

NightAntilli

It's either or there's no advantage disadvantage here. Both players are either playing 4-way or 3-way. If you're used to playing 4-way 3-way will feel easy and boring. 3-way to 4-way you just have to remember your mid kicks are 6:h:. That's literally all it is. I doubt it has any impact on damage or on the advanced holds a few characters have. 3-way is just easier to remember for new players even though they should be getting used to 4 since it's the competitive standard.
I assumed it works like side-steps worked in DOA5. Sidestepping could be done either with :8::8:/:2::2: or :8::P::+::K::+::h:/:2::P::+::K::+::h:. In other words, I assumed the setting is locally determined, not that the setting is lobby-determined. So, choosing 4-way is a disadvantage against anyone using 3-way.

The reason I assumed that is because it's a whole other mess if you have to play 3 or 4 way based on which lobby you are in. I would like that even less to be honest.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
I assumed it works like side-steps worked in DOA5. Sidestepping could be done either with :8::8:/:2::2: or :8::P::+::K::+::h:/:2::P::+::K::+::h:. In other words, I assumed the setting is locally determined, not that the setting is lobby-determined. So, choosing 4-way is a disadvantage against anyone using 3-way.

The reason I assumed that is because it's a whole other mess if you have to play 3 or 4 way based on which lobby you are in. I would like that even less to be honest.
I assume they'll handle it online like they do with local versus. If you watch some of the videos the 4/3-way setting is before the character and stage selects so it's determined for both fighters simultaneously. There won't be any 3-Way vs 4-Way fights.

Fantailler

Having more choice is always a good thing but i'm worried that it would divide players even more.Getting rid of bad habits is also really hard.And i don't see new players making things harder for them. But who knows ?

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
If they really want to keep the selectable hold systems in, they should make sure it's clear that the 4-way is the default competitive standard. So it should be the default option, and should be the only one used in ranked, and tournament mode, if the game ever has one.
I agree with this 1000%.

Radiance

Same thing I was debating on twitter. If they make both options selectable online then there would be no reason for anyone to touch 4-way holds. It would become obsolete. They'd have to balance out the risk/reward or like DEV stated make sure the 4-way hold is the competitive standard.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I don't think it would be a huge issue with this either, but I'm also skeptical on how new players will rely a lot of the mechanic as a "jail-free" card whenever they're actually learning how to play DOA. That's the big issue for me at hand. I want players to actually learn to get into the game.

I'm not saying that there people shouldn't play to have fun, using it as their preference. By all means do so, but this option does make people lazy & force bad habits. With what Radiance & DEV are saying is the same thing that Ed Boon did for Injustice 2 & the NRS community. They have a competitive mode so that people who value all of their gear & armor that they earn in the multiverse mode won't interfere in the matches. They buff & nerf character strengths & weaknesses like damage output. This lets them know that the training wheels have to come off.

So, if Team Ninja took this approach like they did, this issue wouldn't be as problematic since it's setting the competitive standard for DOA, but I still wholeheartedly believe that it will serve as a crutch & will tell people that won't have to learn the 4-point holding system. Anytime you give access to a system mechanic like this to people, it does tend to have people lean away from the actual fighting game standards. I2 still has the division among their players. Most of them often rage quit,which is also something I think all fighting games should address. I think people who RQ should have a huge penalty, but I know that Disconnections can accidentally happen as well.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I wonder if anyone will make a tier list based on the characters under the 4 way and 3 way hold system? I know characters like Eliot and Zack will suffer somewhat from 3 way since Eliot for example already has a ton of mids and Naotora thank god she isn't in yet because she would be pitiful in 3 way hold mode xD

MasterHavik

I don't see how it helps newer players. I feel this is a slight tone deaf decision. I understand wanting new players, but I feel game developers assume what will make their games easier for newer people.

N1ce Dreams

I don't see how it helps newer players. I feel this is a slight tone deaf decision. I understand wanting new players, but I feel game developers assume what will make their games easier for newer people.
It would make a good easy mode difficulty for Story mode.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD