DOA6 WC Shimazu Wins eSportsX at TGS

Team NINJA's Dead or Alive 6 World Championship continues with three events throughout the next seven days with the EU East Online Tournament, Kumite and the TGS Fatal Match which showcased new Dead or Alive 6 content after Top 8. This TGS tournament is also about the passion of the players with over 100 fighters in attendance looking to punch their ticket to the main event. Team NINJA is generating more hype for their game universe by including Nioh 2 in their exciting mix of new content featured at TGS 2019.

There are a lot of great players scheduled for attendance at eSportsX this TGS, but it's also refreshing to see plenty of new names that are not as familiar with DOA6 or are just coming out to their first event. When you factor in the numbers DOA6 has at tournaments now compared to the beginning of Dead or Alive 5 vanilla there is just an immensely big difference with DOA5 bringing in only 30-45 at a big major. This is a sign of growth, and with new players and veterans sticking with their favorite series, there is plenty of room for more of it.

Teru Rock and Siologica continue their individual DOA6WC roads to the 'Main Event' with eSportsX; both attending more DOA6 tournaments than anyone else in the community and doing whatever it takes to get there. You can feel Teru Rock's towering rage when he strikes his opponents with Kasumi and you can expect to see defensive and methodical strategy from Siologica's impressive NiCO-play.

Air Gear will also be performing at this event and he is not one to sleep on with a tournament win at BAM 11 under his belt. The community hasn't seen a lot of Hitomi representation at recent events, and his could really showcase the strengths (KP alone can get your somewhere) of the character at eSportsX. BAM 11 was the first tournament to run on 1.05 so it will be interesting to see how far he has come along since then.

Top 8 Highlights

:mila: Yoshi vs 宮鹿 :ayane:
What made this match so entertaining to watch was the movement game from both players. Yoshi destroyed Ayane with machinegun punches, stuns, perfect crushes and fished holds for Tomahawk throws.

:marierose::kasumi: Liner Back vs Shimazu :ayane:
Liner Back doesn't mess around, and he doesn't appear to get nervous, even after taking serious damage and losing rounds. Shimazu doesn't make things easy for Liner Back's Marie Rose and is great at finding damage from playing an impeccable stun game. Liner Back goes crazy with the bound follow ups and continuously chains them, fully utilizing the best aspects of Marie Rose in Dead or Alive 6.

After one loss to Shimazu, Liner Back switched to Kasumi which has been his strategy in most of his tournament appearances at DOA6WC. Lucky for him he got A.P.O. one of Kasumi's best stages due to her damage & followups from ceiling damage throws. Unfortunately for him Shimazu was able to turn on the good reads and proceeded with great combos from the ground bounces, and this was enough to shockingly get a game on Liner Back.

Liner Back is not happy that this set is going into last round and he runs back to Marie Rose to finish this battle off at 'Chinese Festival.' Shimazu completely downloaded Liner Back for two rounds before Liner Back brought it back for one round. Shimazu kept his guard up and was successful at defeating one of the strongest players in the tournament in his climb to the grand final.

:hayabusa: Keisuke vs Musenwara :kula:

Musenwara has the right idea with how Kula works, but the execution is not as fast and efficient as Ky-Dragon's take on the character. This player was able to get into Top 8 because he is aware of her spacing game and uses a variety of techniques for 'Ice Breath' followups, but Keisuke had an answer every round. Keisuke flattened Kula Diamond's head into the ground with a plethora of beautiful Izuna Drops. Musenwara has something with his character and played hard, but went home empty-handed this time.

:kasumi: Teru Rock vs Dora :rig:

"Both of these players came to dance." - Dragon Ninja

The opening match was at 'Muscle' and Dora made a statement right away with Rig and trashed Kasumi in the first round. Dora won the first match, but Kasumi and Rig beat the shit out of each other with back and forth action all over the ring. The string exchanges were really impressive throughout this set, and the matches were so close you could feel the tension in the privacy of your room.

Rock escaped with a win, but this set was really all about Dora and this tournament showcased his finesse and understanding of DOA6 in Top 8.

:ayane: Shimazu vs Yoshi :mila:

These two smash each other two games in a row before taking a break at the character select screen. Shizamu is getting beat up bad in the rounds, but you can tell from the camera shots IRL that Yoshi is nervous and not letting his wins get to his head even after two straight wins. Yoshi takes off the gloves with Mila and beats the hell out of Shizamu's Ayane in the last round and finishes him off with several 6T resets and a break blow to to the face to win.

:kasumi: Liner Back vs Teru Rock :kasumi:

This set opens with a classic mirror match between Kasumi and they start breaking each other apart before the camera is even switched to the game and each get a match on each other before stream spectators are able to watch a full-length tussle. After losing two games to Liner Back, Teru Rock takes a drink from his water bottle and gets to work on Liner Back at 'Showdown.' Teru Rock uses his signature close hit (6P+K) combos and keeps them going with the help of the 'crowd assist' to lay the grounds for a final fight.

These two Kasumi players square off at 'Sweat' to complete their set and Teru Rock is put in an uncomfortable situation losing two rounds before picking it up in round three by punishing Liner Back in the rare occasion he makes a mistake. Sadly, for Teru Rock he was unable to close the set in a very close series of matches that ended in a jab. These games are largely very close and with so much on the line it's easy to see how one could be hard on themselves to do their absolute best.

:marierose: :kasumi: Liner Back vs Keisuke :hayabusa:
Keisuke plays carefully at 'Muscle' because he knows Marie Rose has a game that can cripple players with guaranteed combos that last forever. The opening match was close but Keisuke took the game by staying composed with his zoning and movement despite the confinement of the wrestling ring. Liner Back quickly switched to Kasumi, but lost just as fast forcing him to go back to Marie Rose for his last attempt at keeping tournament life.

He played more effectively with Marie Rose at 'A.P.O.' and surprised Keisuke by quickly taking the comebak match with his improved zoning game combined with powerful combos that are long enough to start playing mind games on Hayabusa. Liner Back convincingly follows up his win with a redemption win at 'Muscle' with a great reads and advanced holds. Keisuke realizes he is in trouble now and turns up his power to maximum at 'Road Rage' and messes Liner Back on the walls, and cars; making for an explosive finish to this wild set!

:ayane: Shimazu vs Keisuke :hayabusa:

Shimazu opened up Keisuke and played a killer mid-range zoning game, using electric walls to complete his damage from short combos, mixing up his style with a variety of powerful throws to easily win round one. Keisuke's defense was hung over a cliff by Ayane and he was quickly defeated again at 'Chinese Festival' despite a solid understanding of the ground game and approach to the fire crackers.

Keisuke is patient enough to avoid a lot of startups, and plays well on all fronts. He knows in many situations Ayane is unsafe so he frequently scouts an opportunity to throw punish and collect his damage that way. At 'A.P.O.' we see several Izunas hit the ceiling, but Ayane plays a stronger game with expert pressure to successfully win the set by overwhelming Keisuke's defensive nature.

Grand Final

:ayane: Shimazu vs Yoshi :mila:

These two start their grand final at 'Chinese Festival' and Yoshi starts strong with a two round lead, but Shimazu quickly turns the tables and you can see he's on a different level after fighting his way out of the loser bracket that might give him an advantage in this set. He wins the first game with great timing on his string selections, reads, crushes and environment usage.

Yoshi plays a great ground & stun game with Mila and patiently waits for all types of holds so he can perform a Tomahawk or reset throw and find some advantage. Shimazu is playing a very smart side-step game that Yoshi just isn't responding to, but Mila is not going down easy with her reset ability, fuzzy guards and grabs all compiling into a defensive strategy. The first set runs down to last match & round before Shimazu closes it for the illusive reset.

Shimazu & Yoshi fought hard and for a long time, but Shimazu capitalized on the reset and won the pot bonus & qualified to the main event in Tokyo at the end of the year! Congratulations, Shimazu! You deserve it after your epic climb out of the loser bracket with Ayane!

The beautiful production value of Nioh 2 continues to drop jaws at TGS with a brand new trailer from Team NINJA and some gameplay footage to whet your appetite. Graphically, Team NINJA has created one of their best looking games, but players are still hoping that more will be shown later as the UI has yet to see any drastic changes. Team NINJA also announced at TGS that the open beta takes place on November 1st and will end November 10th.

Koei Tecmo released a statement that declared shipments for Nioh exceeded 2.7 million units. The developers could be going with a 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it' approach for the sequel and it might be the best idea to preserve the originality of what will be their top-seller of 2020.

Team NINJA took the opportunity to announce the next Dead or Alive Festival scheduled two days before Christmas (December 23rd) this year. This event is cross-branded to please all players of the Team NINJA universe with games like Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation showing up to the festival with announcements. DOA Festival also tends to have tons of promotional content and a tournament to get things competitive.

More details will be coming soon for the festival, but this looks to be another exciting year to be a DOA fighter!

Last edited:
It was a speculative remark on a boring day in the office that to me holds some possible weight! I never confirmed anything, and you trying to blow it up like it's some big thing is pretty wild on your part given you are no peach. Please keep my name out of your mouth and focus on yourself and if you are going to speak like that to me.
:lol:

Leon getting replaced with a girl getting his moves would be incredibly stupid. We just want Leon
80600329-7541-4CD3-904A-5E4289EAB210.jpeg

Leon getting replaced with a girl getting his moves would be incredibly stupid. We just want Leon

You'll get him back after a long while. This does make me wonder; why did they make Nyotengu to replace Tengu? He was unlockable in DOA4 after all, was there something about his character design making it hard for him to be brought back or was he just not popular enough?

I can imagine the reason Genra has not returned in some way was due to balance issues but that doesn't seem to be the reason for Tengu not coming back.

This does make me wonder; why did they make Nyotengu to replace Tengu? He was unlockable in DOA4 after all, was there something about his character design making it hard for him to be brought back or was he just not popular enough?

I can imagine the reason Genra has not returned in some way was due to balance issues but that doesn't seem to be the reason for Tengu not coming back.
To be able to sell, if they made Tengu as a DLC character instead of Nyo, no one in Japan would buy that shit xD People in the West probably would but it would be very few who actually would use him, I mean look at Raidou xD By making a girl like Nyo who is basically everything Japan likes into one female character, that helped her sell and it's why she's so popular now.

Genra I don't feel had real balance issues although he would need a rework for DOA6, but it would be the same scenario with him like Tengu and Nyo where they would need to make a design to get him to sell since hardly anyone would use him(I like his style but his character design is pretty meh after DOA3). If they could give Tengu's style to a female like Nyo, who's to say they won't do that again in the future?(although for Genra I hope they make a new moveset using his style and incorporating his Tyrant stance into a different medium like with Spartan with Rachel)

You'll get him back after a long while. This does make me wonder; why did they make Nyotengu to replace Tengu? He was unlockable in DOA4 after all, was there something about his character design making it hard for him to be brought back or was he just not popular enough?

Are you serious? Tengu and Genra both got killed. That’s why they’re not in. The only character in doa history that returned from the dead was Raidou, who got sent right back. Leon isn’t dead so yeah he should return.

Are you serious? Tengu and Genra both got killed. That’s why they’re not in. The only character in doa history that returned from the dead was Raidou, who got sent right back. Leon isn’t dead so yeah he should return.

Raidou got killed as well and as you said, he was brought back to life, so why didn't they do the same for Tengu then?

Raidou got killed as well and as you said, he was brought back to life, so why didn't they do the same for Tengu then?
Ask Shimbori, I don’t know why they decided to revive Raidou. Still, Tengu and Genra are dead that’s why they’re not returning.

Still, Tengu and Genra are dead that’s why they’re not returning.

By that reasoning, Leon is now dead since he hasn't returned ;). Besides, Tengu was already dead at the time of DOA4 and he still came back as an unlockable character then.

By that reasoning, Leon is now dead since he hasn't returned ;). Besides, Tengu was already dead at the time of DOA4 and he still came back as an unlockable character then.
Girl.... I swear are you acting this stupid to be annoying or are you actually thinking this? Genra and Tengu got killed in the game. Leon never got killed and is very much alive. They won’t return because they are dead leon isn’t dead. That’s why he should return, Leon was cut from 5 and 6 for no actual good reason.

This was my suggestion after I whined to Shimbori to bring back Tengu and he was all "bUT nObODy UsES hIm."

He thought I was like Brute and would throw a fit if he didn't bring back literally Bankotsubo.

I'm in Camp Leona. If they gotta justify bringing back the moveset, why not? Make her a combination of Leon and Nicole. She could be an arms dealer and use that old sticky grenade animation plus some new stuff like that idk. Could make for a really cool super.

I just want fun to use movesets. That's all that matters to me in this game.

438f16602e1e46a19a08381ed07c07ca.gif

She better would've stayed dead... u__U
We need customizable footwear in-game y'all. Foot fetish and Nike dlc pack when??

I'm in Camp Leona. If they gotta justify bringing back the moveset, why not? Make her a combination of Leon and Nicole. She could be an arms dealer and use that old sticky grenade animation plus some new stuff like that idk. Could make for a really cool super.

I just want fun to use movesets. That's all that matters to me in this game.

I'm not too sure about a Leon gender swap but I'm now more curious about a possible female Genra character. I rarely used him in DOA Dimensions but his playstyle was interesting.

Looking past that, we all know Momiji is the upcoming character; I wonder if she will be able to do break blows while double jumping like how she can power blow in last round.

I'm also curious to see if Rachel will have a new, more sensible default outfit when she returns as well.

He thought I was like Brute and would throw a fit
I wonder what could've given him that impression?
I whined to Shimbori
Next time I'll threaten them with an angry blog post or going an hero. Need to up the ante.
I'm in Camp Leona. [...] why not?
Fixed.

"But men don't sell!"
The nutbars who buy exclusively with their dick are already buying the season passes. The people who buy individual characters will buy Leon even if he's a man. He doesn't clash stylistically with the current aesthetic of the game. There's no good reason to turn him into a woman.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD