So, Now That Leifang and Hitomi Have Been Teased...

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I think the new defaults are all pretty good.

I felt like Kasumi's outfit came off as more of a statement than a reflective part of her character... I'm trying really hard not to bring up the clothing stuff, but it was brought up in the gamescom interview and I think Team NINJA has done their part in delivering everyone the message that they are toning it down, but couldn't they have done it without putting Kasumi in a wetsuit with hardly any color? It's kind of a bland answer to the players that asked for more color.

Zack replicating Conor McGregor is so sad to me. Where is the fun Zack with the bra and the fucking green mohawk that made him stick out. And just for fun -- don't take this the wrong way it's just been bugging me. For years I have seen Hayate as an absolute joke with a few cute moments of shooting things with arrows, giving Raidou the Torn Sky Blast, his amnesia stint... He is no Hayabusa and Team NINJA knows it so what do they do to change my mind? They give him an assassin's creed hood.

I've got problems with Diego too... his shirt screams lack of creativity. GOT GUTS? Paying tribute to the got milk ads? Holy shit. That is disgusting to me. I don't even know how to be nice about that one other than saying the game is 15% done.

With Leifang... beautiful. Helena... beautiful. I noticed the animation on her face change before anyone else and it really popped out to me. I would have liked to have seen Rig with a new starter outfit, but I can't complain when I compare it to Hayate or Zack's defaults.

So for me since the latest reveal:

AWESOME - Leifang, Helena, Rig, Hayabusa
MEH - Diego (great intense moves solid look and banging body, but horrible tacked on story and shirt to initially show him off), Jann Lee, Hitomi
CRINGE Designs - Kasumi, Zack, Hayate

DOA6 will be an awesome game, but I have a few problems with it as someone that hates generic things. Thankfully they are small enough gripes... I'm impressed with the system they have in store for us and I can't wait to see what kind of ground game they give us.

Last edited:

Raansu

You cringe at Zack....who's always had that standard outfit (the green mohawk etc... has always been an alternative costume) but call Busa's awesome, which is just his standard outfit.

Kasumi's outfit is great. Its a modern kunoichi outfit that makes way more sense than her traditional blue outfit (which has already been confirmed that it will be in the game)

Jann Lee's outfit fits perfectly with the character.

I don't care for the hood, but other than that Hayate's outfit looks cool.

Hitomi is Hitomi. She's always had that gi and its always been my second favorite outfit.

Helena is Helena. Her outfit is par for the course of the type of outfits she always has and it looks good.

Leifang's is basically a redesigned throw back of DoA1 outfit. Which is awesome.

DyByHands

Kasumis new outfit is nearly the same as the DOA5 story mode “true Kasumi” look. I don’t remember folks being so devastated by that one. Same with Zack. Its the same crap and pretty fitting to the character. As it was in the older games.
I like them all so far. Id like to see Zacks render look in game.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I know Kasumi's classic outfit is coming back, but they had a chance to wow us. With Kasumi's it's almost like you can watch the entire production of that outfit design in your head and it takes less than 10 seconds. Yeah make it black, cover up those arms. Slap some blue on 'em. I don't get engulfed by the culture when I see that thing. And somehow it still manages to be too busy.

With Zack it was always weird and fun, his default was a bra! His business suit didn't become a big thing until 5. Now he's a servant to Helena that gets scolded by ninjas in helicopters. Walking around in a bra, being rejected by Tina, going on treasure hunts -- all of that silly stuff sounds better than that shit.

Einzelkind

After Shimbori's and Tom Lee's statements I think it's pretty clear that they're using the new default outfits to make a statement. These are the outfits that most people will probably use on stream and in tourneys, these are the outfits that shape new players' first impressions of the game. So in a way it makes sense to go for the safe/standard options like Hitomi's gi, which immediately tells people what kind of character she is. That being said, I agree that it would have been nicer, if every character got a new default outfit (the worst offender here being Rig, since it probably doesn't even makes sense for him to be wearing that construction worker gear anymore).

But I think we'll be seeing some characters' c2 before the game releases anyway. Zack's render had a different outfit than he has in the demo for example. I just hope TN is being smart about the way the present Kasumi now since she got the most flak so far. If they decide to bring back her actual c1 from DOA1 with the red spandex shorts, people will probably think they censored her...

Raansu

Hitomi's 214kp now has a downward punch after the quick double punch animation. They used it during a juggle and the downward slam caused the player to bounce off the ground leading to a 236p follow up. I quite like that addition to a string that was kind of meh in doa5. Also, they showed her fatal rush and its pretty awesome. Her break hold has a cool animation too. Looks like a stylish parry animation. I got thrown off by it at first, I thought maybe they changed her punch parry animation or she got a new parry then I saw the text and was like "oh its just the broke hold *sad face* but it looks cool at least lol."

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
The new interview I believe is the first to confirm you can get to the bottom of the treasure room without the help of the octopus... which I think most people probably expected.

Shimbori says that they have not even shown 50% of the roster, which means there will be more than 20 characters at launch.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Shimbori says that they have not even shown 50% of the roster, which means there will be more than 20 characters at launch.
Was anyone really expecting less than 20? I mean, they're basically copy-pasting characters from 5, which had over 20 characters in the vanilla version, even excluding guests.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Zack replicating Conor McGregor is so sad to me. Where is the fun Zack with the bra and the fucking green mohawk that made him stick out. And just for fun
The training bra went away after DOA2, but I still think the green/red mohawk costumes may come back for DOA6. And if it doesn't..... Then I will have to beg for it again until it does.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
The training bra went away after DOA2,

I am aware, the point being he used to be fun and Team NINJA made sure he was unique at every turn.

Was anyone really expecting less than 20? I mean, they're basically copy-pasting characters from 5, which had over 20 characters in the vanilla version, even excluding guests.

Copying and pasting is pretty much a fundamental of development. Not to mention, none of my favorites have been announced. Leifang is definitely a favorite right now -- but I've still gotta hope for Nyo and Rachel.

Brute

Standard Donor
Copying and pasting is pretty much a fundamental of development.
Actually, on its own, it's the antithesis of development. "Development" necessitates progress, whereas merely doing a copy-paste and calling it a day is pure stagnation. Good development, at least least where sequels are concerned, typically uses past material as a template to refine and substantially build upon. This is what DOA5 did following DOA4. Many animations, SFX and game mechanics were recycled, but a wealth of novel material accompanied those elements to provide a substantially different package and experience.

DOA6 has shown no indication of such effort whatsoever. It's shaping up to be DOA5, v0.5

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Actually, on its own, it's the antithesis of development. "Development" necessitates progress, whereas merely doing a copy-paste and calling it a day is pure stagnation. Good development, at least least where sequels are concerned, typically uses past material as a template to refine and substantially build upon. This is what DOA5 did following DOA4. Many animations, SFX and game mechanics were recycled, but a wealth of novel material accompanied those elements to provide a substantially different package and experience.

DOA6 has shown no indication of such effort whatsoever. It's shaping up to be DOA5, v0.5

I think they are showing stuff that looks cool, Hayabusa's moves look awesome to me. Diego I think is going to be the blueprint of how they expect game progress to go because they commented on the game intensity more than the fighting entertainment theme since that is well established already. I think other than the Colosseum the level design looks spot on.

With DOA5, we saw a lot of zoning that lasted a long time in offline. I hope that characters like Diego will prevent too much of that from happening. I know you have explained before, but post Leifang and Hitomi reveal, what would you do? Give all the characters new moves? Change the system that they are building now?

Maybe you should make a post of your own that details everything the game should do and fix, see how many people agree. Maybe a persuasive essay or something. I would definitely read it and probably agree myself.

HHH816

both leifang and hitomi character model all went squishy like in DOA3-4, but the guys tough like DOA5..

btw match over too soon even with dumb AI

Raansu

DoA has always been stepping stones. You can easily go from 2 to 3 and play it exactly the same, just like you can go from 4 to 5 for most of the characters and play with almost identical approach. A lot of juggles have remained almost completely the same since doa1.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD