So who IS satisfied with their characters?

Rawbietussin

2 and 5, yes. 3 and 4, no; they were pink then.

Her eyes has never been consistent but then again a lot of characters had messed up eye colors now. Leon originally have blue eyes and now they changed it to pale green, Helena used to have aquamarine eyes and now it's just green and Christie with gray eyes but now has violet eyes.

Dutch Samurai

I'm actually liking 5U Ayane a lot more than Vanilla Ayane. P4P is something she was missing, and it's such a delicious move. She's actually better in this than she was in Vanilla. But, I'm always content with Ayane's tools because she's generally always solid and very good. Plus her purple hair is a reason why she's always been high tier or higher (Dun deny t3h purp mang). Never going to drop her even if she received a different play design.

CharacterLoyalty4Lyfe. <3

Definitely agree with that last part! I'm liking Ayane in U. But I definitely have to get used to her changes. Like her spin away roll maneuver changing from :1::1: to :1::P+K:. On one hand, it's more convenient because the new inputs make it harder to do "accidentally" while trying to side-step or simply back up, should your thumb be slightly off on the directional input. On the other hand, it's now a bit harder to execute in rapid succession, should you want to do it for a quick evasion or fake-out attack. Also U's :1::P+K::K: takes more precise timing than vanilla's :1::1::K:, but I'm getting used to it.

Last edited:

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I'm liking the leifang changes.. with the overall system changes I have to say I am satisfied, despite most her changes being nerfs. I think she is now alot more fair.

Unshu 1k and unshu k are awesome new tools.
I also think the hitbox for 1p+k got buffed even though the guard break is gone (seems alot more evasive).. not sure yet tho.

As for Leon.. its great to have the big guy back.. I'm gonna be doing some heavy research on him.

Momiji is just an amazing design..

The characters are all good Im torn between who to choose as a main. (But itll probably still be leifang lol)

Also Jacky is so damn flashy.. his combo challenges were quite fun : )

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Definitely agree with that last part! I'm liking Ayane in U. But I definitely have to get used to her changes. Like her spin away roll maneuver changing from :1::1: to :1::P+K:. On one hand, it's more convenient because the new inputs make it harder to do "accidentally" while trying to side-step or simply back up, should your thumb be slightly off on the directional input. On the other hand, it's now a bit harder to execute in rapid succession, should you want to do it for a quick evasion or fake-out attack. Also U's :1::P+K::K: takes more precise timing than vanilla's :1::1::K:, but I'm getting used to it.

I'm actually able to do this in rapid succession, a lot. Just every now n' then I get a 4P+K instead of 1P+K though, making me look stupid, lol. Actually practicing (since I have a copy and another console now) will fix this, though.

Dutch Samurai

I'm actually able to do this in rapid succession, a lot. Just every now n' then I get a 4P+K instead of 1P+K though, making me look stupid, lol. Actually practicing (since I have a copy and another console now) will fix this, though.

I can too... But it takes some getting used to. It's like 1p+k, 1, 1p+k, 1, 1p+k, etc. as opposed to just spamming 1. And yeah it's easy to screw it up, if you aren't careful. I've been practicing too, though, and it helps. Just takes some getting used to.

Dutch Samurai

It's actually 1P+K > H > 1P+K > H repeat OR 1P+K > BT8P > 1P+K > BT8P repeat.

Yeah, I meant 1p+k, 44, 1p+k, 44, repeat. But your p+k, h, repeat works the same way. I was testing it and actually just holding down 1 while alternately tapping p+k and hold is actually the easiest way of doing it. This way you won't have to worry about pulling off the 4p+k by mistake. But if you didn't clue me in on the hold button method, I'd never have figured that out.

Adding in bt8p just seems inefficient because of the constant switching between down-left and up on the directional.

Last edited:

TRI Mike

I'm still not sure what to think. Tina seems to have been hit hard but I guess I can work with her, and people like @virtuaPAI being satisfied makes me think I might be doing something wrong. But when I put the buffs and nerfs next to each other, she definitely seems weaker.

Helena is fine I think, she completely lost the blender PFT tactic but she still has a lot of ridiculous stuns, launchers and now with a BT CB, SDS into BKO and bounds, there's a totally new style awaiting to be discovered. I'm starting to play Leifang too but I never knew anything about her in vanilla, she seems very strong in Ultimate, just like Rig even if he has less frame-advantage on block now.

TakedaZX

Not really satisfied with Hayate. More and more they try to make him this DOA3 Hayate, which is fine if were talking frames but as far as style DOA3 was an incredible bore. They did well with his teleport though. Much more accessible than in DOA4.

44K (6P4, 66P4) feels like a waste. His wind dash is imperfect with so much potential. The missing moves from DOA4 makes me want more out of my character than he can offer. Safety was an issue (is an issue) especially with only two hit strings, but now I hear most everyone is unsafe these days. System changes and overall changes annoy me more than anything but... yea that's all basically.

I'm probably just going to play DOA4 again from now on.

Chapstick

I'm starting to play Leifang too but I never knew anything about her in vanilla, she seems very strong in Ultimate
Are you kidding she's amazing in 5. She lost some stuff in 5U but she's still pretty good. Not to mention a lot of fun to play as. I definitely suggest learning her. EMPEROR_COW has a great 4 hour(!!!) video in the Lei Fang subforum that helped me out a lot:

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/lei-fang-in-depth-live-stream-tutorial.2749/

Unfortunately that's for 5 and some things have changed, but a lot is the same and he said he's working on a new vid that he'll put out soon.

peachyO

bass: not sure. some painful nerfs, some nice new tools. don't understand why hard knockdown was taken from PPP, 1PP, and 66P. but he's still my papi; i'll find a way to make him work.

gen fu: underwent some significant changes, but he just MIGHT be even better than his doa5 version. i love him!

bayman: oh my...he's almost a totally new character, so i'm re-learning him. more complex now...but i definitely think he's considerably better than before!

christie: i'm fine, so far i see no really big changes. still the only doa female i'm interested in...

rig: i never paid him much mind in doa5...but i'm REALLY liking him now!! sexy motherfucker, and with his new buffs, i'm feeling him now.

leon: playing around with him, and enjoying it so far :)

PJudge

Can't complain about Leon. There's some new stuff I'm still trying to get my head around (mainly why they felt the need to switch the headbutt input from P+K to 7P) and trying to understand this new skidding state that you can put people in (honestly can't figure out what to do with this yet). But his damage is fun, and I've come up with a couple of neat little tricks to milk some damage, so it's all good.

I've played with Ein a bit too, and he seems more or less the same, but I've not jumped in a lot with him yet. Tina seems to have changed a fair bit to me, so I'll need to go back into training mode with her for a couple of evenings this week. I'm really feeling the Leon/Tina team.

Brute

Standard Donor
There's some new stuff I'm still trying to get my head around (mainly why they felt the need to switch the headbutt input from P+K to 7P)
Most CBs are P+K, 6P+K, etc. Honestly having P+K as a CB and 1P+K as a power blow is my favorite preference. Intuitive.

I only wish for two changes to be made to Leon, but they're nothing that ruin the character. This guy kicks ass.

PJudge

Most CBs are P+K, 6P+K, etc. Honestly having P+K as a CB and 1P+K as a power blow is my favorite preference. Intuitive.

I only wish for two changes to be made to Leon, but they're nothing that ruin the character. This guy kicks ass.
The more I play, the more I love having P+K as CB, it's just old habits dying hard. Sometimes I'll hit P+K expecting the headbutt and panic when the wrong move comes out!

What would you have changed, just out of curiosity?

Brute

Standard Donor
The more I play, the more I love having P+K as CB, it's just old habits dying hard. Sometimes I'll hit P+K expecting the headbutt and panic when the wrong move comes out!

What would you have changed, just out of curiosity?
1) I'd give him his P6P2K mix-up from PP (new string PP2K). He's so mid punch reliant I don't like having to risk that to get a low trip aside from the standalone 2KK and 2H+K.
2) I'd give him a low trip from 4P a la Bayman. Again, he's so reliant on mids, it would be nice to initiate an offense on block that doesn't consist solely of mids. Aside from free canceling his only truly threatening string mix-ups are P6P2K and P6PchargedP (and the 6P initiator versions).

String mix-ups were never really Leon's focus, so I don't expect him to have a bunch. Still, I'd like to have a string mix-up option that doesn't involve any mid Ps.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD