Soul Calibur Thread

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Lol, Japan...
(Lol, ignorant Westerners...)

On characters such as Ivy:
GC: I know you can’t talk about other characters in the game, but the design and attire of a character like Ivy – whether she’s in the new one or not – are a lot more problematic today than they were when the series began. Is that something you intend to address?
MO: [long pause] I understand that there are different opinions about such characters. So I think what’s most important is how you want to express and design such characters, and not just the female characters. But I still want to keep the body shape and the atmosphere of each character to be the backbone of each character.
GC: Do you have female designers working on the team?
MO: Of course!

It's always funny when Westerners confront Japanese developers about the controversial depiction of women in games, because it is a big and important topic over here. The thing is, it isn't a big and important topic in Japan. They don't care.
The reaction is always the same: slight bewilderment, incomprehension and a very politely phrased answer, that they will keep on doing exactly what they were doing all the years before.
The ignorant follow up question if there are even any female designers among the team was shut down pretty well too.
There are lots of female Japanese designers that design just as sexualized female characters too. Many (most even?) Japanese women, because of the culture they grew up in, don't see a beautiful, sexy or cutely dressed woman as something offensive. On the contrary, many aspire to be just as beautiful or cute.
What I don't get is why westerners make a big deal out of it with their SJW, feminazi crap. It shouldn't really matter if a female character is overly sexualized, SJW and Feminazi's always say that it's degrading women and that it's a bad role model for children. I personally don't get that since I don't see how sexy women in fighting games are degrading women in any way, and i don't understand why they usually say role model when it's just a game and not a beauty standard.

Brute

Standard Donor
Let's not get derailed talking about the pros and cons of western feminism.

That said, the interviewer (assuming this was a real, recent interview; no link was provided) knew damn well what the answer was going to be, assuming they've seen the material of Sophitia thus far. Dumb query meant to pad out an interview with rhetorical questions.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Lol, Japan...

GC: I know you can’t talk about other characters in the game, but the design and attire of a character like Ivy – whether she’s in the new one or not – are a lot more problematic today than they were when the series began. Is that something you intend to address?
MO: [long pause] I understand that there are different opinions about such characters. So I think what’s most important is how you want to express and design such characters, and not just the female characters. But I still want to keep the body shape and the atmosphere of each character to be the backbone of each character.

It's always funny when Westerners confront Japanese developers about the controversial depiction of women in games, because it is a big and important topic over here. The thing is, it isn't a big and important topic in Japan. They don't care.
The reaction is always the same: slight bewilderment, incomprehension and a very politely phrased answer, that they will keep on doing exactly what they were doing all the years before.
The ignorant follow up question if there are even any female designers among the team was shut down pretty well too.
There are lots of female Japanese designers that design just as sexualized female characters too. Many (most even?) Japanese women, because of the culture they grew up in, don't see a beautiful, sexy or cutely dressed woman as something offensive. On the contrary, many aspire to be just as beautiful or cute.
Its amazing how dumb this is, a lot of sexy characters are drawn by females with sexuality in their idea. Sayako of NekoWorks and the artist of all those terribad Sakura VNs are both females despite the fact that those two games are hentai.

I believe Bayonetta was created by a female as well(design wise), which some feminists are completely open to.

EDIT: as I just noticed this is basically all anyone is talking about I'll attempt to go back on topic...

I'm the most interested in Create a Soul in this game, I wonder if it'll be not so good like SCV and if it'll have a bunch of customization dlc like SCV.

They kept back roster costumes for DLC in SCV when that stuff was unlocked when the character was unlocked in IV lol

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Its amazing how dumb this is, a lot of sexy characters are drawn by females with sexuality in their idea. Sayako of NekoWorks and the artist of all those terribad Sakura VNs are both females despite the fact that those two games are hentai.

I believe Bayonetta was created by a female as well(design wise), which some feminists are completely open to.

EDIT: as I just noticed this is basically all anyone is talking about I'll attempt to go back on topic...

I'm the most interested in Create a Soul in this game, I wonder if it'll be not so good like SCV and if it'll have a bunch of customization dlc like SCV.

They kept back roster costumes for DLC in SCV when that stuff was unlocked when the character was unlocked in IV lol

I'm imagining or hoping at least anyway that the create a soul option will receive a big upgrade in this one over SCV, Although I did enjoy that one too. I'd also expecting dlc for it though, Maybe they'll support it better in this one. I'd like them to for a while. suggestions on 8WR I agree with are ideas like maybe for a year at least every month a pack of maybe 20-30 customization items.

Other suggestions that sound great are things like instead of like 5 male faces and 5 female faces instead give us a face slider type thing so that we can have more varied looks.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Let's not get derailed talking about the pros and cons of western feminism.

That said, the interviewer (assuming this was a real, recent interview; no link was provided) knew damn well what the answer was going to be, assuming they've seen the material of Sophitia thus far. Dumb query meant to pad out an interview with rhetorical questions.

It was an excerpt of a very recent Game Central Interview with Motohiro Okubo, the producer of Soul Calibur 6:
http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/18/soulc...ise-the-feel-good-factor-7167281/?ito=cbshare

Normally I always link to my sources or explain what I am referring to, but for some reason I thought someone posted the article with the interview before. I was hopping from forum to forum and got confused.

Other suggestions that sound great are things like instead of like 5 male faces and 5 female faces instead give us a face slider type thing so that we can have more varied looks.
I doubt there will much more variation of faces, considering they are skimping out on so much other stuff. They'll probably just recycle the exact same faces from SC4 and SC5.

DedUp

I really hope we'll have a lot more slots for character creation. 50 slots fill up way too fast, especially since any edits to the main roster also used up those slots. I would personally like the slots to be unlimited. Let me fill up my hard drive with created characters if I want.

Argentus

Lol, Japan...

lol reminds me of when they interviewed the guy who made Nier Automata, and it was something like

"why do you design sexualized women"
and his response was basically
"I like pretty girls. next question?"

I do however agree that SC4 Ivy was over the top in her design, basically just wearing a bikini with armor bits. I usually like her classier "Captain's outfit" style C2s. Except for her SC5 c2, ew.

Although i did like how her SC5 C1 was an inbetween of her standard armored swimsuit outfit AND her olds chool "captains outfit" C2s.

My Babenapes

I really hope we'll have a lot more slots for character creation. 50 slots fill up way too fast, especially since any edits to the main roster also used up those slots. I would personally like the slots to be unlimited. Let me fill up my hard drive with created characters if I want.

Yeah I’m hoping the PC version can be modded a lot so I can make custom characters for months without getting bored lol

Pn33milan

for SC6 I only hope they bring Talim back!

I can be pretty sure that Taki and Siegfried will return. I wouldn't mind if Siegfried was a palette swap of Nightmare, like in SC2.

for the rest, I don't mind a smaller roster. after all, you would have less match-ups to learn. I only care for my characters :cool:

about the fighting system, I am a little concerned by this reversal edge. not by the fact it's OP or stuff like that, but just by the fact you can pretty much do it whenever you want, without limits.
for what I have seen by now, I think it kind of disrupts the flow of the game. I wouldn't mind if they limited its usage.

eventually, are there other people here who think that William from Nioh would be a perfect guest? He kind of had the same inspiration of arthur from the original soul calibur and they could add an interesting gimmick with his stance swap

Pn33milan

the same doubt I have with Talim.
according to the original timeline, Talim was only 11 years old during Soul Calibur (Cassandra was 17).
but, if it's going to be a reboot, everything is possible.

Talim also got first place in the popularity poll, 2 years ago. I can't stand soul calibur without Talim again! :(

Jadeinchains

the same doubt I have with Talim.
according to the original timeline, Talim was only 11 years old during Soul Calibur (Cassandra was 17).
but, if it's going to be a reboot, everything is possible.

Talim also got first place in the popularity poll, 2 years ago. I can't stand soul calibur without Talim again! :(

I've seen some things on 8WR that could make it possible for Talim to be in the game, Mainly that since it's a reboot and a new timeline they could technically make it that Talim was born earlier in this timeline.

Pn33milan

a part from the fact that her design and fighting style revolve around her small size and young age. so, it wouldn't be impossible for her to fight even if she was only 11 years old XD
well, of course it would be even stranger to fight her with a blade XD

Jadeinchains

Speaking of Talim's age actually got me thinking of a kind of interesting difference between Soul Calibur and DOA when it comes to characters ages, SC has no problems making characters 15 years old etc which is cool, But meanwhile even when there's characters like Marie Rose...she's apparently 18 which is like the age a lot of the younger characters are. Just something I was thinking about.

Pn33milan

I don't know if it's confirmed, but I heard that also Marie Rose was going to be 15 after she was announced, then they changed it to 18.
anyway, DOA still had problems with underaged characters in DOAX2 and in DOAD (in some countries), so I guess they kind of have no choice

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Well, they clearly already had plans to put Marie Rose in sexualized outfits and positions (private paradise videos, DOAX3...) so they had to make sure there was going to be no problem. That's why every girl in DOA is by default 18...even though in reality they aren't or aren't meant to be.;) They are fictional creations after all.

Soul Calibur doesn't have that problem and they don't have that bad of a reputation and everybody's eyes on them. The worst you can do to Talim is undress her in character customization, but she still wears proper underwear then.

Jadeinchains

Umm random question, How on earth do you actually pronounce Zasalamel. Because for the longest time I've literally just been pronouncing it as Zas-a-mel.

Argentus

as someone who just used the create a soul rather than any default characters aside from Kamikirimusi, i'm more interested in hearing the character creator stuff. (In sc2 i just used spawn, soo....)

Will there be dedicated movesets for the CaS system like in 3? will we just be using the base characters movesets like 4 and 5?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD