Soul Calibur Thread

Jadeinchains

I was wondering what sort of stages we could see in SCVI, There's always the staple stages that get in or at least areas that a stage is in like how there is a stage set in Ostrheinsburg Castle or a Greek shrine type stage which we've already seen for SCVI. Another thing I've noticed is the floating raft stages which I really like, There seems to be one in the games of a raft floating down a stream etc so I'm wondering If there will be something like that In the game?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I was wondering this as well. If this is indeed a reboot, retelling the original SC's story, then many/most/all of the SC1 stages are probably in. Which is nice, since there were some really cool ones in that game. They'd look amazing on current generation hardware:

(I always forget how nice the original Soul Calibur already looked.)

We already saw that Shrine of Euredice, the Greek temple above the clouds, is in again. It looks very different to what it looked like in SC1. So they'll take some artistic freedom.

Two things that worry me a bit though:
1) Did you guys notice the awful DOF (depth of field) effect during gameplay on the stages? If they keep it that strong we won't see much of the stages anyway, since everything but the fighters will be blurred out.
2) Them including stages that are technically good looking, but that aren't artistically up to snuff. The snowy stage they showed off for example is as dull and boring as it can get. It may suit a Tekken, DOA or Virtua Fighter, but not a Soul Calibur. It needs some frozen creature in the ice cavern (similar to that SC4 stage) or maybe some pretty castle perched on one of the snowy mountains in the background:

neuschwanstein-castle,-snowy-forest,-winter,-snowy-village-150513.jpg

It's kinda sad when real life is more fantastical than a SC stage. :(

Pn33milan

The first one looked that good because it was on dreamcast.
I only played the arcade version. It's a blast to play, but of course it looks very dated XD
Still better than tekken 3 though imo ;)

My Babenapes

I really hope the character models and the customization options are amazing when the game comes out. Hopefully they’ll learn from other games that have more in-depth customization like WWE’s system.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I really hope the character models ...are amazing when the game comes out.

I think the chances to that are already pretty slim, when they recycle 10 year old character models like they did with Sophitia and Mitsurugi. They might rework them, but given Namco Bandai's track record I highly doubt that.

Pn33milan

My only issue with SCV costumization was that it didn't allow you to change the intro and winning aninations.
My characters always did some poses that didn't fit the character

Also, some haircuts were missing -_-

Pn33milan

I think the chances to that are already pretty slim, when they recycle 10 year old character models like they did with Sophitia and Mitsurugi. They might rework them, but given Namco Bandai's track record I highly doubt that.

Well, I'm just ok with the new Sophitia's outfit and the fact namco finally remembered she can smile ^_^

Jadeinchains

I was wondering this as well. If this is indeed a reboot, retelling the original SC's story, then many/most/all of the SC1 stages are probably in. Which is nice, since there were some really cool ones in that game. They'd look amazing on current generation hardware:

(I always forget how nice the original Soul Calibur already looked.)

We already saw that Shrine of Euredice, the Greek temple above the clouds, is in again. It looks very different to what it looked like in SC1. So they'll take some artistic freedom.

Two things that worry me a bit though:
1) Did you guys notice the awful DOF (depth of field) effect during gameplay on the stages? If they keep it that strong we won't see much of the stages anyway, since everything but the fighters will be blurred out.
2) Them including stages that are technically good looking, but that aren't artistically up to snuff. The snowy stage they showed off for example is as dull and boring as it can get. It may suit a Tekken, DOA or Virtua Fighter, but not a Soul Calibur. It needs some frozen creature in the ice cavern (similar to that SC4 stage) or maybe some pretty castle perched on one of the snowy mountains in the background:

neuschwanstein-castle,-snowy-forest,-winter,-snowy-village-150513.jpg

It's kinda sad when real life is more fantastical than a SC stage. :(

Yeah we've now seen SCVI's Shrine of Eurydice and yeah it looks different from SC, That makes sense though since It looks different in every game it's in and in a different part of the shrine.

latest

I have to say I didn't really notice anything to do with the DOF, And with the Snowy stage I haven't seen much of it so I'd really need to see it more to see If there's more background details etc.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I have to say I didn't really notice anything to do with the DOF, And with the Snowy stage I haven't seen much of it so I'd really need to see it more to see If there's more background details etc.

Watch the background during gameplay in this video, it is always blurred out. Hopefully it's a bug or if it is intentional (to put more focus on the characters), they'll tone it down or decide against it till release.

In the second half of the video you also see a lot of the snow stage. It looks technically pretty, but also artistically bland and boring.

Last edited:

HHH816

blurred? might be 4k checkerbording to give more processing power to the looks of character and a sense of depth to the floor.

but the character is not that detail too. hmm..need to improve a bit

Jadeinchains

Watch the background during gameplay in this video, it is always blurred out. Hopefully it's a bug or if it is intentional (to put more focus on the characters), they'll tone it down or decide against it till release.

In the second half of the video you also see a lot of the snow stage. It looks technically pretty, but also artistically bland and boring.

Oh I do see it more now, I think If it is in that the background thing is just so that more attention is on the characters but It could change before launch and yeah the snowy stage doesn't really have much going on in the background. Still It might just be that phase since there is the multiple phases stages go through so the other ones might have more stuff that happens. There's also lots of other stages to see.

Argentus

Yeah. Kusarigama isnt the same as ivys whip sword. Its the style used by Axl Low is guity gear. It's designed to be mostly range based but can be used up close for parries and can quick attacks. Both Ivys sword and Kusarigama are very versatile and have the same idea but very different.

i know i was pointing out that her whip sword gives her the kinda range you were talking about.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
blurred? might be 4k checkerbording to give more processing power to the looks of character and a sense of depth to the floor.

but the character is not that detail too. hmm..need to improve a bit

Huh? No, that's definitely DOF, depth of field, it mimics a part of the image being out of focus of a camera lense. It is a fairly common effect in current generation games. Often used in Cutscenes, or dialogue scenes when characters talk...

Here in Injustice 2:
35237687355_229515712a_o.png

Here in Horizon Zero Dawn:
32614411144_7e95e2cb34_o.png

It hasn't ever been applied to fighting games in this way to my knowledge and it looks frankly bad and very distracting.

Checkerboard rendering is something else entirely. That's a clever rendering solution PS4 Pro and also the Xbox One X game versions use to mimic native 4K rendering. Depending on how well it is implemented and on how high the base native resolution is the image appears a bit softer than native 4K, but never that blurred.
All that's been shown so far of Soul Calibur 6 seems to be in 1080p resolution and captured on PC hardware by the way.

Argentus

32614411144_7e95e2cb34_o.png

It hasn't ever been applied to fighting games in this way to my knowledge and it looks frankly bad and very distracting.

Checkerboard rendering is something else entirely. That's a clever rendering solution PS4 Pro and also the Xbox One X game versions use to mimic native 4K rendering. Depending on how well it is implemented and on how high the base native resolution is the image appears a bit softer than native 4K, but never that blurred.
All that's been shown so far of Soul Calibur 6 seems to be in 1080p resolution and captured on PC hardware by the way.

i really wish they'd stop putting facial hair on characters when they have no idea how to implement them. That looks more like when you drag a magnet through dirt and see iron bits sticking to the magnet after, rather than facial hair.

Radiance

Probably imo. Sophitia is said to be younger in SCVI than in IV. Setsuka wasn't introduced until III and her only purpose was to kill Mitsurugi. Maybe they'll find her a new story. Her style really fit the game, and she was my main so I'd hate to see her or Alpha Patroklos not return.

Pn33milan

I don't mind neither the presence nor the absence of setsuka.
I liked her design in SCIV.

But still, I don't think she's the most popular newcomer from SCIII. I think most of you could agree that Zasalamel and Tira are generally more popular.

I like her style and design, but I don't think she's among the most flashy characters.

Like I said before, my only hopes are for Talim (taking Taki and Siegfried for granted)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD