Team NINJA Social Media Updates for DOA6

TheTHCGamer

The thing is ... how much will be able to "fix" the new director? Will Koei just be ok with all his/her proposals or will be the same situation because they won't want to invest more money?

Shimbori is still the PR dude even after all that PR mess last year
Who knows were just going to have to wait and see. In the mean time since there's been a lot of negativity surrounding the game so far things can only get better so I'm going to TRY to keep a positive outlook.

Dr PaC

He didn't. Producer out ranks Director. He opened up the director spot, and a member of Team NINJA got promoted. He still holds his existing Producer position and manages the Director. Man was over worked and now is off loading the work to help handle it.
Thanks for clearing that up Matt. The article made it sound like a demotion

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Thanks for clearing that up Matt. The article made it sound like a demotion

Most sites don't translate well, some don't mention if someone steps down or not with just the resulting answer is that he's not directing DOA6 anymore. It's rather easy for anyone to jump the gun, and with the current state of the game it's also rather easy to find negative portions and point fingers on anyone looking for something to blame.

"DOA6 failed? it was most definitely Shimbori and only Shimbori! it's why he's not director!" (when clearly it's just a workload off for someone to take over since he was doing both producer and directing, he's good).

NightAntilli

I disagree. The linked video is more about the real "advantages" for the existence of micro-transactions than any proof of sinking production costs. I am pretty sure it's getting more expensive to make successful video games each year. Looking at the NPD sales data for 2018, for example, I only see expensive big budget productions and no Hellblade/Senua-budget games at the top. The market rewards high production value and the publishers react to that. That's an upward spiral that will continue.

Cuphead has sold approx. 3 Mio units worldwide and that's a huge exception. Nearly no low-budget title comes near one tenth of that mark. FIFA 18 has sold 24 Mio units, GTA 5 90 Mio. units, etc... we're talking a different league here. The customer's decision, not mine.
The video argues that that's what the developers chose, to make bigger more expensive AAA-games, rather than smaller B-games. And honestly, to me, that seems more logical.
Yeah. FIFA sells a lot. But are we seriously going to argue that a yearly FIFA refresh costs as much as GTA5...? Hellblade probably costs more to make than a FIFA refresh (if not multiple).

You say that market rewards high production value, but, I don't think it works that way. Look at this list;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

A few of the most important ones are...;

COD MW2, the second most expensive game yet, had 250 million USD in total cost... But look at the development cost. 50 million. The other 200 million was marketing. It's actually a low production value game, and is one of the most popular games ever.

The most expensive is GTA V, with 265 million, about half being development, and the other half marketing.

Now here's an interesting one. The third most expensive, BioWare's Star Wars The Old Republic. 200+ million. Did that game become a huge success like the two above? No. So... No reward based on high production value.

Take the top 10 most expensive games, based on total amount. There is ONE game of 2018 (Shadow of the Tomb Raider) or later in the top 10. The rest are all between 2008 and 2014.
If we take it based on solely game development cost, it's that same recent game (Shadow of the Tomb Raider) that's in the top 10, and the next most recent one is from 2015 (Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain) and the next one from 2014 (Watch Dogs).

Now sure, the list is not complete. BUT, the list only has games that cost more than $50 million dollars. And there is one game from 2018, and one game from 2017, no games from 2016, two games for both 2015 and 2014, and a bunch of games of 2013 and 2011. There's quite the trend here... In the early 2010s development costs were quite high... Higher than today. And it becomes even funnier, when Halo 2 cost more to develop in 2004 than Destiny in 2014... So really. I'm not seeing how games are becoming more expensive to make, to justify all the trash they put in them.

We can also take Mass Effect as an example. Mass Effect Andromeda is on that list, the other three aren't. Now, before one says that the latest was more expensive to make, read up on the development issues to see that this was no normal development, and a lot of resources were wasted, but I digress. My point is that, the other Mass Effect games were more heavily rewarded, despite being much smaller budget games. So yeah, the idea that the market rewards high production value is false. The market values good games.

The issue is that publishers want to force an attraction to larger and larger audiences, rather than letting it happen naturally with their good games. That's why they try and stir things up by trying to please feminists, LGBTQs, any SJWs basically. They want them on board, even though those people are never really going to appreciate gaming like gamers do. Incorporating all these things in games takes additional resources, and so does advertising for them. DOA6 went in this same direction, trying to appeal to feminists with their "we're not sexy anymore" statements, basically making a part of their real fan base worried. Yeah. Of course cost is going up if you're trying to include this sh!t everywhere and alienating your own audience at the same time, and thus releasing unfinished games. You'll have to put additional resources for months if not years afterwards. If you actually make a good product from the start, we don't have this issue and everyone's happy. But nah... They prefer to push generic games that even your pet at home should be able to play to try and sell more...

RayBellion

Yeah. FIFA sells a lot. But are we seriously going to argue that a yearly FIFA refresh costs as much as GTA5...? Hellblade probably costs more to make than a FIFA refresh (if not multiple).
I think the FIFA licence alone already had cost more than making Hellblade in total. Marketing, licensing, motion-capturing catalogues, the amortisation of internal tools (like Frostbyte) over several products - that's a lot of money ignored, if looking only at pure development costs. Imagine you'd want to compete with FIFA by developing your own soccer game from scratch and you had only the budget that Hellblade had, you'd fail miserably. Even the excellent Pro Evolution Soccer always looses out (probably only because they can't carve out the money for the FIFA licences). EA makes investments whose costs will be recovered over multiple years and products. If you look at direct development cost only, such synergy effects probably won't be reflected accurately.

But what I want to drive home is that marketing, licencing, planned-for hosting expenses etc. are integral part of the production cost and customers react to that. Your profit is what's left after deducting all your costs, not only the development cost. One does not have to like it, though.

You say that market rewards high production value, but, I don't think it works that way. Look at this list;
My point was that the best-selling games all were high budget productions. You show that a high production value does not guarantee market success. That is not contradicting my statement. Here's the NPD all platforms software charts – entire year 2018:
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  3. NBA 2K19
  4. Madden NFL 19
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  6. Spider-Man
  7. Far Cry 5
  8. God of War
  9. Monster Hunter: World
  10. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
I am still convinced that the average production cost of the top 10 games will be higher each year (but I admit, I don't know most of the numbers).

The market values good games.
I wish you were right and we could all agree on what a definition of "good" might be.

The issue is that publishers want to force an attraction to larger and larger audiences, rather than letting it happen naturally with their good games.
True. BTW I sympathize with much that you say and from the NPD list mentioned above I only own 2 games (GoW & MHW). Most of my time I prefer playing titles with much smaller budgets (like DOA6 ;) ). But unfortunately, we're both part of a (fantastic) minority. Publishers can make more money with majorities - even though KT is trying very hard to get as much money as possible from our minority, lol.

Last point: SORRY TO ALL for disgressing somewhat, I fear this (for me interesting) sub-topic is starting to leave strict KT/TN-territory. So I won't continue this particular discussion in this thread, even if there is a reply to my entry. I will respond by PM only to this sub-topic (feel free to PM me as well).

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Nice. Looking forward to it. I hope there will be a good amount of people participating
Idk if many will attend besides the staple high level players we usually see but it should hopefully be a grandeur watch for everyone!
Besides that I'm more or so interested to see what pirate costume Kasumi/Phase and Eliot receive, I'm over those wedding DLC costumes and the limited costumes for Phase and Eliot and Kasumi's new default and her first two ninja costumes recolors and the leather DOA5 suit can't save her other poor outfit/recolor choices in DOA6 XD

Dr PaC

Idk if many will attend besides the staple high level players we usually see but it should hopefully be a grandeur watch for everyone!
Besides that I'm more or so interested to see what pirate costume Kasumi/Phase and Eliot receive, I'm over those wedding DLC costumes and the limited costumes for Phase and Eliot and Kasumi's new default and her first two ninja costumes recolors and the leather DOA5 suit can't save her other poor outfit/recolor choices in DOA6 XD
Im also curious about how those pirate costumes will look. Im sure Kas and Phase will be hella cute but my Love Nyo's will blow everyone out the water. Im calling it now, lol

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Not a perfect translation but:

Seven seas costumes vol 1

World Ranking feature

Several intros and win poses

Unlocked 15 songs of DOA 6 stages

Training settings will be saved after playing a ranked match

Once you unlock all charater costumes, you will recieve player coins

Overall balance for characters and stages

As courtesy, 100k player coins to all players

Onryoki

Standard Donor

P2p1mbs

like TN tells the player to play rank only

Between that and the endless number of NiCO players, looks like I wont be playing either online mode anymore...

I wish they added a feature in ranked to filter out players using certain characters in ranked just for some variety....

Kuga

OMG they will fix training. I wrote about this issue to KTEurope psn profile that sometimes host lobbies in Europe area. I wonder if that had anything to do with fix decision since i didnt see anyone else complaining about this.

That may be a good idea tho, to propose changes not to TN that dont give a shit about non japanese players opinion but straight to KT.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD