Tekken

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
^ This. It's surprising how comparable TTT2 looks visually compared to T7. For its time TTT2 is one of the best overall looking Tekkens.

(Though T7 does have a resolution advantage dependent on the platform that it's played on).

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Kinda random but I was watching this video discussing Tekken 4's darker sinister atmosphere and I felt so liberated somebody basically said everything I thought about the game and its music and presentation xD

i hope for Tekken 8 they get this atmosphere back, in Tekken 7 they didn't quite nail it and I feel like in terms of bosses they dropped Azazel who was the pinnacle of a sinister boss and started really not caring with characters like Devil Kazumi who aren't much like that.

Derock

Kinda random but I was watching this video discussing Tekken 4's darker sinister atmosphere and I felt so liberated somebody basically said everything I thought about the game and its music and presentation xD

i hope for Tekken 8 they get this atmosphere back, in Tekken 7 they didn't quite nail it and I feel like in terms of bosses they dropped Azazel who was the pinnacle of a sinister boss and started really not caring with characters like Devil Kazumi who aren't much like that.

I have to explain about Tekken 4 a bit as it is my second favorite of the franchise, right behind 2.

Despite certain nuances (i.e. Julia voiced by an older woman past her age), Namco did capture a much "realistic" presentation of the game. The atmosphere was similar to the storyline of 2 and it had the balance with dark tones with some melancholy, some uplifting and some comedic. One thing I should mention is that the writing and development of the characters were on point at the time before 5 jumped the shark (with Jin's canon ending suddenly said "Hey, let's make 6 Tekken 2 2.0 and make it worse if Jin becomes head of Mishima Zaibatsu.") The intros of the cast story and the artwork was so fitting! It couldn't compare to 5 and 6.

At first, the music to me wasn't that grand until I listened to the soundtrack as a whole and I began to notice its entirely and how it fits with the stages. (Then, you have the unreleased Arcade soundtrack that made it even better!)

However, die-hard, pro and hardcore fans made it the black sheep because of the gameplay and the environment. I think most fans didn't like 4 because what people didn't see it but I think Namco at the time was scared off by.. Dead or Alive in terms of graphics. DOA2 brought in the multi-tiered stages and people were loving it! This game came out when DOA3 was coming out that even blew DOA2 away. So the Tekken team did this experiment with 4 with the uneven floor and multi-tiered environments with destructible objects to bring some realism to the franchise. It was also the only game when we can actually move around before the fight starts, similar to DOA2 onwards. The character designs of the cast were applauded.

While the game was praised, it didn't work for the pros and hardcore fans because Jin with his new Karate fighting style and Steve being right behind him being OP. With the upgraded technology at the time, fans were disappointed not seeing other characters like Anna being added in and simply went back to Tag Tournament 1 because of the returned cast and its gameplay. Then you have the position changes, which really wasn't needed.

The fans just want to go back what it was to 3 and that's how 5 came about but that's also when I saw the bloat and the quality of writing began to decline. Stages began to closed off to become like shapes and we're back to infinite stages. Honestly, when 6 began the multi-tiered stages, I didn't like how it flows with the gameplay and couldn't even matches how DOA does their stages. It makes me always jump right back to 4 because how this experimental game could've gave Namco a better competition presentation-wise and they could had continue onwards if Harada and the team didn't jump back to the Tekken 3 nostalgia wagon with 5.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I have to explain about Tekken 4 a bit as it is my second favorite of the franchise, right behind 2.

Despite certain nuances (i.e. Julia voiced by an older woman past her age), Namco did capture a much "realistic" presentation of the game. The atmosphere was similar to the storyline of 2 and it had the balance with dark tones with some melancholy, some uplifting and some comedic. One thing I should mention is that the writing and development of the characters were on point at the time before 5 jumped the shark (with Jin's canon ending suddenly said "Hey, let's make 6 Tekken 2 2.0 and make it worse if Jin becomes head of Mishima Zaibatsu.") The intros of the cast story and the artwork was so fitting! It couldn't compare to 5 and 6

At first, the music to me wasn't that grand until I listened to the soundtrack as a whole and I began to notice its entirely and how it fits with the stages. (Then, you have the unreleased Arcade soundtrack that made it even better!)

However, die-hard, pro and hardcore fans made it the black sheep because of the gameplay and the environment. I think most fans didn't like 4 because what people didn't see it but I think Namco at the time was scared off by.. Dead or Alive in terms of graphics at the time. DOA2 brought in the multi-tiered stages and people were loving it! This game came out when DOA3 was coming out that even blew DOA2 away. So the Tekken team did this experiment with 4 with the uneven floor and multi-tiered environments with destructible objects to bring some realism to the franchise. It was also the only game when we can actually move around before the fight starts, similar to DOA2 onwards. The character designs of the cast were applauded.

While the game was praised, it didn't work for the pros and hardcore fans because Jin with his new Karate fighting style and Steve being right behind him being OP. With the upgraded technology at the time, fans were disappointed not seeing other characters like Anna being added in and simply went back to Tag Tournament 1 because of the returned cast and its gameplay. Then you have the position changes, which really wasn't needed.

The fans just want to go back what it was to 3 and that's how 5 came about but that's also when I saw the bloat and the quality of writing began to decline. Stages began to closed off to become like shapes and we're back to infinite stages. Honestly, when 6 began the multi-tiered stages, I didn't like how it flows with the gameplay and couldn't even matches how DOA does their stages. It makes me always jump right back to 4 because how this experimental game could've gave Namco a better competition presentation-wise and they could had continue onwards if Harada and the team didn't jump back to the Tekken 3 nostalgia wagon with 5.
Yeah I understand that since i am aware of the meta and how the game was handled at the time since i always considered T4 my favorite when i was in middle school besides T6, I think tho for the game moving forward they could try that atmosphere out again since it wasn't so much the atmosphere or presentation people didn't like, it was more the rough transition to incorporate actual walled stages plus trying to handle how certain characters benefited from the walls being added and slopes which Tekken was new too at the time so by the time they made T5, they made the needed changes but in the process they really nerfed Jin when there was stronger characters at the time too, the position change i felt could work if they kept it limited to specific people, not every fighter needed it imo.

I just want maybe that same atmosphere since the lab stage for example is a stage that hasn't been designed like that at in the more recent games, I think Ominous Mist and the Ground Zero funk stage and maybe Azazels chamber, Heavenly Garden, and the Precipice of Fate are the only stages i can remember that have that sort or atmosphere that the lab did. I'm kind of tired of the more anime and less serious atmosphere the game has atm since characters like Lili who had potential to be much deeper characters got ruined since they only want specific characters being focused on

Stages design wise don't really matter to me gameplay wise since Tekkens gameplay is suited for the stages it has now, I don't think it really needed slopes at all tbh, but tbh i don't think any 3d fighter really needs them, especially if it's not uniform and doesn't add much significant change of pace. If Tekken added something fresh and innovative like SF6 is doing I'd be happier since we're seeing something new and not really reused from another game

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Tekken is getting another update:

from the looks of it everyone is getting something and it seems they're adding a new wall mechanic that leaves them vulnerable from a hit, it may be probably how they'll handle wall splats after an attack that doesn't launch outright

Lili and Anna also got some interesting buffs, it seems like Lilis CH 4 will cause a sort of stun that lets her get a guaranteed attack. And Anna finally Got a good use for her fd1,2,3 since I always hated how it's unsafe but doesn't do anything special xD I was hoping for a T8 announcement but the end seems to be suggesting maybe something is being worked on or planned behind the scenes.

I just hope with this update they won't take away anything from Lili since her 4 kick finally seems to be taking a page out of the magic 4 kicks. Anna has always been a high risk character so I doubt that her buffs will really do much to help her but we'll see

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
So, they literally copied the Smash trailer for the teaser. I'll say this like I do about every TEKKEN: Cheap, fake, phony and stupid.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I do wonder if T8 is going to be under UE5.

"If" Namco does it right, Tekken 8 could "potentially" be the best graphical looking game of the 3D fighter genre. Keyword "if" however.

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
And it should be as it's the only 3D fighter with real money-pushing popularity. My guess is Namco cheaps out again, but we will see, don't mind my hating ways.

I do believe that SF6 looks amazing, and they are making a technical difference with their characters. The Juri gameplay left me speechless.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD