The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So @Tyaren care to explain why the PS5 looks like a cheap modem from Circuit City? Or shall we force Digital Foundry by spamming on twitter? xD

Why are you asking me that? XD I didn't design it. I'm not exactly sure what to think of it to be honest...but my jaw definitely dropped. A really unexpected design.

On another topic, swinging as Miles will be so much fun. He seems to be wilder and more chaotic than Peter:

f0b0363dd32db6537a48c08bd7f10c1479de9069.gifv

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Why are you asking me that? XD I didn't design it. I'm not exactly sure what to think of it to be honest...but my jaw definitely dropped. A really unexpected design.

On another topic, swinging as Miles will be so much fun. He seems to be wilder and more chaotic than Peter:

f0b0363dd32db6537a48c08bd7f10c1479de9069.gifv
l0l just for fun. By the way, what are your thoughts on Bright Memory Infinite?

Jadeinchains

The Demon Souls remake thats coming out looks absolutely gorgeous! I've been interested in from software games for a while, watching full playthroughs on youtube and getting into the lore and stuff of them. ( Bloodbornes gothic/cosmic horror plot and lore is amazing, and so is the dark souls series lore ) There's lots of great youtubers that do series about them. But somehow I've never actually played one of the games myself. But I really would like to jump into the series for the first time myself with the release of this new demon souls remake. :)

Its really crazy to see the comparison shots of how they've recreated the areas in the remake, Its looking really amazing.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
These graphics are so beautiful. PS5 is a bit ugly based from the images though. However, I love the idea behind the aesthetics of the PS5.

UpSideDownGRUNT

What was that again?

By the way, Dark Souls (PS4 remaster) vs. Dark Souls (PS5 remake):

dPxhd7G.png

w33go52.jpg

BtK8ohR.png

unP78K1.jpg
Slight correction: Demon Souls is from PS3 and wasn't on PS4 btw but that is definitely quite the glow up.

I'll admit though after all the rumours of Bluepoint working on Demon Souls I was kinda hoping it wasn't but eh. Happy for those that like Souls games and Demon Souls is probably the most underrated. (clearly )

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I love the PS5 remake of DarkSouls. Definitely buying it. I heard Amazon leaked the prices and versions of the PS5.
Apparently there’s gonna be a 500 MB, 1TB and 2TB version along with the digital only and disc version of the PS5.

The official price of the PS5 hasn’t been revealed just yet, but according to the Amazon leak it’s gonna be around £599.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Digital Foundry's reaction to the PS5 showcase:

Interesting to note that games like Horizon and Ratchet and Clank were native 4K, 30fps games and they used proper ray tracing but mixed with more traditional methods.

DF was by the way especially impressed by Kena, even though it elsewhere didn't get as much attention as Horizon or Ratchet and Clank:

It does look straight up CGI at times, it is that smooth and polished, but it is indeed in-game and in native 4K on PS5.

Some footage of it on PC and Xbox Series X.

RTX demo

Oh, that's the game that is made by one person, right? That's kinda crazy, lol. I have no idea how that is even possible. You have to be a great game designer, great programmer, and a great artist at the same time and where do you take all that time? O:

On top that the first Horizon is going to be on PC so I might just rebuy it again. Wouldn't even be surprised if the next one ends up being game of the year.

If they polish some of the rough edges of the first game like limited movement/exploration in the world, janky combat against human enemies and if they give the pretty landscape and towns a bit more life and depth this can become a Zelda killer and one of the most awesome and popular video game franchises out there.

Last edited:

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Oh, that's the game that is made by one person, right? That's kinda crazy, lol. I have no idea how that is even possible. You have to be a great game designer, great programmer, and a great artist at the same time and where do you take all that time? O:
Yup! Here's a recent interview with him.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Digital Foundry released a first impression of The Last of Us II's graphics:

Sony is incredibly strict about any kind of spoilers, lol, so the real big graphics review from Digital Foundry will come on the day of the game's release. They are however already mighty impressed by it.

Jesus, that gameplay character model and idle animation...

ezgif.com-gif-maker-1694b4dc13fab0480a.gif

In other news the game Deathloop is confirmed to be native 4k and 60fps on PS5:

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Gran Turismo 7 really is setting the bar high for racing games in terms of graphics and scenery. Gran Turismo already looked incredible but based on this trailer, the game will be even more stunning.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
These two scenes are confirmed to be gameplay captures without UI:

XHXV6gY.gif

81geDHQ.gif

Even though it reuses much of Spider-Man PS4's assets, polishes them and adds more bells and whistles, this will look sooo good. =Q=

The puddles of course use raytraced reflections, lol:

Puddlegate can finally be laid to rest...

Gran Turismo 7 really is setting the bar high for racing games in terms of graphics and scenery. Gran Turismo already looked incredible but based on this trailer, the game will be even more stunning.

Of the big Sony exclusives shown this imo was the least impressive looking to me. I guess 60fps at native 4k still take its toll on the overall visuals.

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Yeah, I already watched that. It's a good reminder of how effective checkerboard rendering actually is. It's a great solution to get to 4K with just a fraction of the cost. It's of course not fully equal to native 4K, but it is damn close. In Detroit you have to directly compare screens and zoom in far to even see the differences.
PS5 games should imo not completely abandon checkerboarding. Ratchet and Clank or Horizon FW were native 4K/30fps. If they use checkerboarding instead they might even be able to reach 60fps at little cost to the overall visuals.
I'm just saying that for the 60fps and even 120fps addicts, lol. You can give me stable 30fps (but it has to be stable!) for most games that are not fighters or racers and I won't complain.

On another topic. I was really impressed by Stray. What a pretty and polished looking game:

49996076396_af818dc790_k.jpg

49995557468_a8f8c9b225_k.jpg

49996076326_414cded7c9_k.jpg

It ran in native 4K on PS5 with heavy use of raytracing.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD