The King Of Fighters XIV Thread

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Played the demo, Mai, Kyo,, and Silvie are very simple and effective. I hate the 421and back "Z" inputs, they are very wonky to input and I can't do them consistently, only on the P2 side which is very discouraging, especially since I plan on using Kensou and he may have a few of those inputs too.The MAX mode thing I'm kinda lost at, it doesn't seem to boost damage output and I have no idea what it does, and it seems like the square button is the only button that allows you to chain a normal combo while also randomly going into some super attack. Finally I like how the game lets you easily chain normals into supers, and as a new player I felt very happy that I could do it first try.

I'm happy with the demo, but not really sure if I should get it after all, I feel miles behind in terms of knowing how to fully play this game....plus the Japanese only voice thing is kinda jarring.

The Enforcer

The MAX mode thing I'm kinda lost at, it doesn't seem to boost damage output and I have no idea what it does, and it seems like the square button is the only button that allows you to chain a normal combo while also randomly going into some super attack.

I had to hop into tutorial after not figuring out how to use EX moves since I have more history with Street Fighter than KOF. Max Mode is the window to use EX moves. You can use as many EX moves as long as there is still meter for Max Mode. In SF you get 1 EX move for 1 block of super. In KOF it depends on the bar. Activation is still similar though, use 2 buttons to activate a special move instead of one.

I wouldn't let game knowledge prevent you from getting it, if you like it. That comes with playing it.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I forgot their was a tutorial 0_o I'll definitely try that out when I play it again, I was mostly caught up in the training mode and didn't properly learn the mechanics first.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
I got a lot of things to edit over at Dream Cancel.
I do have some videos up on me just testing a few things out.

Argentus

Okay so tried it. Gameplay is standard but none of the usable characters in the demo are ones I like/am interested in.

Tizocs EX piledriver super ike amusing when they crash into the camera though lol.

That Shun guy is just a JoJo spoof

Nelson is really lame as far as KOF boxers go. His ultimate is pretty anticlimactic.

Looking at the roster I know I'll be using

Vice
Clark
Leona
King

I love angel but her inputs were always WAY too complicated for me to play effectively.

Alice is adorable but I have no idea what her gameplay is.

Love heart catches my eye as well but i also don't know her gameplay.

Also Yuri looks way better with short hair than her "classic" braided ponytail.

Though the models still look awful during closeups lol. Fine during regular gameplay however.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Played the demo, Mai, Kyo,, and Silvie are very simple and effective. I hate the 421and back "Z" inputs, they are very wonky to input and I can't do them consistently, only on the P2 side which is very discouraging, especially since I plan on using Kensou and he may have a few of those inputs too.The MAX mode thing I'm kinda lost at, it doesn't seem to boost damage output and I have no idea what it does, and it seems like the square button is the only button that allows you to chain a normal combo while also randomly going into some super attack. Finally I like how the game lets you easily chain normals into supers, and as a new player I felt very happy that I could do it first try.

I'm happy with the demo, but not really sure if I should get it after all, I feel miles behind in terms of knowing how to fully play this game....plus the Japanese only voice thing is kinda jarring.

It's not that the inputs are wonky. It's KOF where it's more strict on buffering. You've been playing DOA for so long that it's a big jump in terms of execution. Assuming you are playing on pad? QCF/B+ inputs (Quarter-Circle+Forward/Back) for example are not strong with controllers because they don't have proper corner inputs to get that magic number in there. In directional numbers, 1 3 7 9, are not true inputs due to the actual inputs missing on the controller to manually click on them (especially Dualshock) because you have to manually press 62 to get 3. In DOA it is easier to get these motions because the buffering is more generous than most other fighters. You could input 62236223 on DOA and it will still register it as a 33 input, which is why DOA is easier to play with on pad however KOF does not truly accept those extra buffers as a true input. Maybe one of two buffering errors will let it fly by, but extra buffers such as that will make the game think you are trying to input something else.

It's why KOF is one of the more harder execution games because you'd have to be on point in terms of inputs while keeping combos generated via hit. There are those that play KOF on pad but a very small number of players. Some even have custom pads to play the games because QC motions are not friendly in the series. Even though KOF is pretty popular, it is very unstable to draw the right number of players to try the game because of the execution barriers since majority of gamers in general (not including those who solely play fighters) play on pad that would like to either try a new fighting game or try a fighting game for the first time.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
It's not that the inputs are wonky. It's KOF where it's more strict on buffering. You've been playing DOA for so long that it's a big jump in terms of execution. Assuming you are playing on pad? QCF/B+ inputs (Quarter Circle Inputs Forward/Back) for example, are not strong with controllers because they do not have proper corner inputs to get that magic number in there. In directional numbers, 1 3 7 9, are not true inputs on controllers (especially Dualshock) because you have to manually press 62 to get 3. In DOA it is easier to get these motions because the buffering is more generous than most other fighters. You could input 62236223 and DOA will still register it as a 33 input. It's why DOA is easier to play with on pad. However KOF does not truly accept those extra buffers as a true input.

It's why KOF is one of the more harder execution games because you'd have to be on point in terms of inputs while keeping combos generated via hit. There are those that play KOF on pad but a very small number of players. Some even have custom pads to play that game because QC motions are not friendly in the series. Even though KOF is pretty popular, it is very unstable to draw a number of players to try the game because of the execution barriers since majority of gamers in general (not including fighters), play on pad that would like to either try a new fighting game or try a fighting game for the first time.
Oh....that explains it. XD I've tried the demo a few times since the first try and that "wonky" feeling I felt from the input diminished...I hope that's a good thing. I use the joystick with the game though since to put it bluntly, doing all those complex move inputs would seriously fuck up the Dpad, which is why I use pad for 3D fighters and Joystick for 2D.

Characters I like for now is Silvie, although I'm not sure how to do her ultra move, that's way too tough for me and I may not use her after all if I get the game if I can't execute it. Mai instantly clicked with me, I like her, and Kyo is fine for the most part....some moves are tougher but it'll come in time.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Oh....that explains it. XD I've tried the demo a few times since the first try and that "wonky" feeling I felt from the input diminished...I hope that's a good thing. I use the joystick with the game though since to put it bluntly, doing all those complex move inputs would seriously fuck up the Dpad, which is why I use pad for 3D fighters and Joystick for 2D.

Characters I like for now is Silvie, although I'm not sure how to do her ultra move, that's way too tough for me and I may not use her after all if I get the game if I can't execute it. Mai instantly clicked with me, I like her, and Kyo is fine for the most part....some moves are tougher but it'll come in time.

This might sound out of worlds but doing my best to help. I really recommend getting an arcade stick for these types of fighters. The joystick on controllers are actually pretty bad because they don't have clicks and is more relying on motion (which is random inputs at best in terms of doing moves on that.)

I mean, if it helps you play keep doing it. I will never be the judge on how you play your games that you personally bought so apologies if that sounded rather off. Just trying to make sure you buy games that you can enjoy rather than shelving it in the future or not liking it anymore.

Argentus

Use the thumstick for ult.

Its just two half circles. Forward down back forward down back both punches.

If it helps you get used to it, do the input while rolling or jumping in so inputs don't cross wires and do the wrong move

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Use the thumstick for ult.

Its just two half circles. Forward down back forward down back both punches.

If it helps you get used to it, do the input while rolling or jumping in so inputs don't cross wires and do the wrong move
That's it, for Silvie? Oh, I must have over complicated it, all the inputs shown at once followed by the button will take some getting used to. XD

EDIT: Did it, but the input isn't consistent...yeah I need an arcade stick ~_~

Last edited:

Argentus

That's it, for Silvie? Oh, I must have over complicated it, all the inputs shown at once followed by the button will take some getting used to. XD

EDIT: Did it, but the input isn't consistent...yeah I need an arcade stick ~_~

Yeah first time I saw a KOF command list I was all

"The fuck is a z input?!" Until I realized oh its just shoryuken/double quarter circle lol.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Yeah, I'm just kinda trying everyone out, she just may not be the type of character for me....plus I don't really like her design that much anymore, too weird. Mai seems more manageable at least, all her moves are simple and her ultra is just one quarter circle forward then backward XD. If only a few more characters were available I'd definitely try Athena, Kensou and Tung Fu Rue out, Yuri idk since i didn't like her new design, but we'll see.

The Enforcer

I was going to make some combo vids until I was reminded how time consuming it is without have a quick software setup, lol.

Overall, I am liking the timing of KOF more and more. It could change with time or balance, but for now I'm having a much easier time than I ever did with SFIV. Yes, the timing windows may be more narrow than SF, but for some reason they at least feel more exact if that makes any sense. I'm still a pad player for the most part and I could never consistently pull off half the stuff I wanted to try in terms of chaining normals. At least in KOF chaining normals feels doable. I'm not consistent, but I'm executing most of the time instead of never.

After watching some recent vids I had to go back into a tutorial I'd missed to figure out how to combo into Max Mode, I saw it but didn't realize it was capable of being activated mid combo. XD

Radiance

Been exploring this character. Very low damaging. I see him as a anchor character, with meter and one touch he can literally reset and vortex you to death. Fuzzy guarding might be the key to stopping his mixups, but he also has a command grab. He can cross up, fake cross you up, command throw (which is unbreakable) but knocks you down, go low, or overhead.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Team Psycho Soldier trailer:

And there's Kensou! :D @KasumiLover69

I wished Shingo was in the game though... :(

latest

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD