The Official Dead or Alive 5 Tier List with Discussion thread

DR2K

That's because most communities play the game for a year until a 'definitive' tier list is going. Also, they don't typically have 4 patches in the first 5 months.

Lastly, because everyone seems to want to post their personal take on what character is better than the other characters with no data besides "I always beat <character>." or "I never play that character". Instead of focusing on each character's tools and comparing it to another character in a match up.

Oh, then there's the fact that both systems are running different data.

Most 3D fighters throw characters into tiers on day 1 and go from there. I mean head over to SRK and their biggest ongoing thread for UMVC3 is tierlist talk.

My character impressions with this 1.03 patch, every character can complete.Now everyone aruging for their characters placement have a leg to stand on.

GLoRToR

everyone seems to want to post their personal take on what character is better than the other characters with no data besides "I always beat <character>." or "I never play that character". Instead of focusing on each character's tools and comparing it to another character in a match up.
+1

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Oh, then there's the fact that both systems are running different data.

This right here pretty much says to me that we can't really continue this discussion right now, or at least Xbox users can't take part in it. Not only that, but there's the matter of the SE glitch. We don't know for certain if it's staying or going, but we need to before we can move forward with this discussion.

GLoRToR

I'll start. Not accurate, based on my perception of character tools, it's really just a community challenge to get the top players working on this already instead of people dickmeasuring in this thread.

S+
Leifang
Genfu
Jann Lee
Alpha

S
Helena
Ayane
Kasumi
Tina
Rig

A
Sarah
Akira
Hayabusa
Kokoro
Hitomi
Mila

B
Christie
Hayate
Pai
Zack

C
Brad Wong
Bayman
Bass
Eliot
La Mariposa

synce

charlie-murphy-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1289.gif

Okay I'll bite, why is Alpha top and Lisa bottom? (1.03)

DR2K

Eh Sarah and Rig get crushed so easily. Even their mids are high, lol. Sarah is a lot harder to use in DOA5 due to that.

Zeo

Oh yeah my bad. Yeah Hayate has gotten better. More people are picking him up now. I finished breaking down Kasumi, Ayane, & Kokoro although I need more match exp with Ayane & Kokoro. Now I'm able to completely focus on him & what he has now. But I'll talk more in the Hayate forums.
Just to be quick on the subject of Hayate, I don't believe he was good or slept on. He simply had nothing at his disposal to explore or discover. A decent sidestep, moderate speed and good throws. But not enough to supplement his lack of guaranteed damage, useless and slow GBs, nonexistent low game and gross unsafety. I truly believed he was bottom tier in 1.02. But I decided to be generous and say he was low tier.

I expect people to pick him up as he's actually good now, but I'm glad I stayed loyal to the character.

No.

Eh Sarah and Rig get crushed so easily. Even their mids are high, lol. Sarah is a lot harder to use in DOA5 due to that.
It's just a matter of using the right moves at the right time and making good use of their advantage. Sarah gets +4 from a 17 frame mid kick and Rig gets +2 from all his into stance finishers that end with a high. If they're getting crushed you're doing it wrong.

DR2K

It's just a matter of using the right moves at the right time and making good use of their advantage. Sarah gets +4 from a 17 frame mid kick and Rig gets +2 from all his into stance finishers that end with a high. If they're getting crushed you're doing it wrong.

A lot of moves that I used in VF just don't have the same application at all. I guess it's a matter of playing Sarah differently, but very hard to do since asthetically they're almost the exact same.

I've also face some good Sarah's and Rigs, I guess they're doing it wrong as well. . .

Zeo

A lot of moves that I used in VF just don't have the same application at all. I guess it's a matter of playing Sarah differently, but very hard to do since asthetically they're almost the exact same.

I've also face some good Sarah's and Rigs, I guess they're doing it wrong as well. . .
I don't know of many good Sarahs, Rig on the other hand is a very slept on character and few have been able to use him to his fullest potential from what I've seen. It wouldn't be farfetched to say no one is doing it right yet. Everyone gets crushed sometimes going for highs but you're making it sound as if highs are the only thing they have and are just getting crushed all day trying to attack. Maybe some Rigs are, but Sarah? Just no.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I never or very rarely see those characters (Rig, Sarah) online or offline.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the community doesn't know the game very well and people just stick to characters they're used to playing for years (like generic ninjas, jann lee, occasional Tina and Gen Fu or Elliot).

Also, people are putting Bass low on their personal tier lists despite the fact that he can easily to +50% if you make one simple mistake. He still has trouble against fast characters, but otherwise still a big threat. You duck and you end up eating a combo, get hit with an untechable move and you end up at -13 from a pick-up and you're dealing with some nasty new BT set-ups that force you to guess.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I never or very rarely see those characters (Rig, Sarah) online or offline.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the community doesn't know the game very well and people just stick to characters they're used to playing for years (like generic ninjas, jann lee, occasional Tina and Gen Fu or Elliot).

Also, people are putting Bass low on their personal tier lists despite the fact that he can easily to +50% if you make one simple mistake. He still has trouble against fast characters, but otherwise still a big threat. You duck and you end up eating a combo, get hit with an untechable move and you end up at -13 from a pick-up and you're dealing with some nasty new BT set-ups that force you to guess.

Happy to see our training sessions giving you some experience and insight.

Pokerking87

Great Fights yesterday uncle i Hope you Join today my Lobby i send you several invitations yesterday but you dont Join :(

MasterHavik

Zack low B? Nah....give him a couple of more spots...his BT game and that 4k sitdown stun are being overlook. Zack is at least low A. 4k sitdown stun makes him rushdown insane....you wanna low counter? Have a sitdown stun free of charge. I'm basically going to open people up with 2kk, 2kp, and etc.

Also no bass love? He should be B at best. Christie needs to be higher too.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
You guys do realize that someone making an opinionated tier list without giving any facts or reasons as to character placement still doesn't mean a character at the lowest tier doesn't have good tools...

Just because a character ends up at the bottom tier, or has bad matchups doesn't mean the character can't be played.

MasterHavik

You guys do realize that someone making an opinionated tier list without giving any facts or reasons as to character placement still doesn't mean a character at the lowest tier doesn't have good tools...
Yeah I know, but the tools Big Daddy has doesn't make him that low. This is like a MK tier list Sheeva may be the worst, but she has one or two good options.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Great Fights yesterday uncle i Hope you Join today my Lobby i send you several invitations yesterday but you dont Join :(

Sorry, I just have this weird habbit of doing clean up at the strangest time of the night and I just left the game on V:)V.

Sometimes you just really like a characters style!

I understand, but that makes it incredibly boring and now I just want to play online just to unlock costumes. I think me and Wah are probably the only two consistent Bass players online (okay, maybe NeoWesker too, but he's in Taiwan, so it's hard to get in touch with him). Rigs and good Brads are even more rare.

So, basically, it gives me the impression that people prefer fast characters because they're easier to use online and people like cheap wins (and you can't press buttons after blocking because it's online).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD