The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

NightAntilli

I made a basic combo video of Pal combos I learned and taught myself so far

Her 466P+K ender and WR K ender are so satisfying to do xD
Pai was my main in VF5:FS. If everything stayed the same, these are the basics;

Basic launchers, with combo;
:K:, :P::P::4::P::K: / :P::P::K::K:
:6::6::K::P:, :P::P::4::P::K: / :P::P::K::K:
:3::H+K: , :6::H+K:,:2::P:, :P+K::P: (while standing up)
:2_::3::P+K:,:4::6::H+K:,:3::3: (buffered) :P+K::P:(while standing up)

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Does anyone know any Pai high crushes I may have missed that are mids? So far I tested and found that 46P+K, 64P, crouching 4P, 7G+K, and 466P+K crush and avoid highs

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Can someone tell me what an ex high is? I know ex lows and ex mids are basically mids and lows that can be blocked while crouching but idk what ex highs do. Do they jail or are they something else?

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Can someone tell me what an ex high is? I know ex lows and ex mids are basically mids and lows that can be blocked while crouching but idk what ex highs do. Do they jail or are they something else?
Taken from VFDC (https://virtuafighter.com/wiki/attacks/):

"Special High attacks (EX Highs) will whiff characters that are merely crouching. However, they can hit characters that are executing or recovering from a crouching low attack. "

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
It's refreshing seeing them use the queen of VF as the image! Also hope they'll drop the next dlc pack soon, I need those colored eye contacts and hairstyles so I can get Pai with red eyes and a hime cut, and she also had some make up items and more accessories she's missing like a black veil iirc.

I also really want this costume back, it'll always be my favorite VF5 costume for her:

Pai-o4.gif

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
It's refreshing seeing them use the queen of VF as the image! Also hope they'll drop the next dlc pack soon, I need those colored eye contacts and hairstyles so I can get Pai with red eyes and a hime cut, and she also had some make up items and more accessories she's missing like a black veil iirc.

I also really want this costume back, it'll always be my favorite VF5 costume for her:

View attachment 35683

I remember Aoki mentioning that they were trying to get all the costumes back for VF5US, but due to time constraints since he almost missed his deadline (because this game was supposed to be out before the end of SEGA's 60th Anniversary), he had to omit the other half. Thankfully, he does want to bring them all back.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
So there was an interview with Seiji Aoki (current producer of VF5US) and Katsuhiro Harada on the return of Virtua Fighter. Here are some highlights from the interview:

VF eSports came to Aoki in the fall of 2019; despite working at arcade studio AM2, he had experience bringing arcade games home & vice-versa via projects like Border Break PS4 & Puyo Puyo eSports Arcade, and he'd also worked on previous VF games & was a fan, so he accepted.

Once they finally settled on developing an eSports-focused game for PS4 & arcades, it was February 2020, and the state of emergency hit right as they started to staff up, which threw them into disarray as they navigated work-from-home; WFH didn't get into full swing until May.

Not only were they contending with work-from-home but they also had to unite the workflow between arcade devs AM2 & home devs Ryu ga Gotoku Studio within this environment, plus they were aiming for simultaneous global multi-platform launch, so Aoki had his work cut out for him.

Harada asks about the added hitsparks: Aoki says they were added for the sake of eSports and communicating things to spectators; they were a lot flashier in the beginning but were gradually revised to what we see now at the advice of veteran players & supervisor Daichi Katagiri.

Harada asks about the netcode method and whether they used rollback: Aoki confirms it's not rollback, despite Sega of America's regular requests for them to add rollback; it's essentially the same delay-based p2p method conceived for the PS3/360 versions of VF Final Showdown.

They (mostly Harada) explain how retrofitting rollback into 3D fighting games in particular is tough due to the fact that they're presupposed on fluid, smooth animations as opposed to the limited keyed animations of 2D games, which makes the frame-skipping more conspicuous.

They (again, Harada) also talk about how there are lots of little things you have to do to mitigate the visual impact of rollback on 3D fighting games and how "3D fighting games" is too broad bc the visual techniques & overall move/input timings are so different from game to game.

Harada uses Soul Calibur as an example: when charas swing their weapons, there's a colored trail that follows the arc of their swing in a smooth line; that line becomes jagged as frames are rolled back, so it's a very obvious indicator of how rollback can impede a game's visuals.

The interviewer asks about Tekken 7's rollback implementation: he says they're able to track when the game rolls back and by how much and that in network environments like Japan it doesn't have to roll back often, so they added it in consideration of the overseas infrastructure.

Aoki understands there's a lot of demand for rollback from places where bad connections/infrastructure, and while it'd be nice if infrastructure could be improved around the world, that's a tall order, so they're considering various approaches on their end.

(tl;dr: VF eSports doesn't use rollback, mostly due to dev circumstances & being built off an existing game, but they understand the demand for it & are keeping it in mind for the future, not least of all bc Sega US keeps asking for it most of the broad excuses came from Harada)

Sega & Namco's management were also talking during the Dreamcast era; Harada was called up by now-retired chairman Ishikawa & asked "you like Virtua, right? Sega says they'll give us VF characters if you put Tekken on DC; you can do that VF x Tekken thing you keep talking about".

Harada says that, at the time, "Virtua Fighter x Tekken" wasn't really a concrete title he wanted to make so much as an aspirational phrase about making something he thought was worthy of standing side-by-side with VF his response: "if it makes business/mgmt sense, let's do it".

Sega was also excited to do it, but for whatever reason, it never happened; Harada surmises Namco's relationship with Sony may have been an issue even when they were tentatively talking about "Street Fighter vs. Tekken", Harada's boss was like "sure but can we do VF first?"

Aoki's like "…how about now?" & Harada thinks it could happen, provided it's not a 1st-party exclusive; that said, even if they're friendly, he'd rather they go on being rivals & that the rivalry is what makes the concept exciting, so the DC era may have been the time to do it

I recommend reading the entire thread. It is worth a read!

Derock

While it is exciting to see a VF x Tekken, the problem is that Tekken has a huge roster and it would be going by picking only a selecting few. I wonder if Seichi Ishii would be involve as he is the father of the two games anyways.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
While it is exciting to see a VF x Tekken, the problem is that Tekken has a huge roster and it would be going by picking only a selecting few. I wonder if Seichi Ishii would be involve as he is the father of the two games anyways.
Would be like SFxT; just pick the popular ones vs. the VF cast.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
So yeah, if you guys didn't know already: Version 1.04 was released last night. This adds the Invite Feature (with Private Slots), an additional option for the Emotes (because I know they're annoying), a DLC fix in which the P1 and P2 costumes for VF1 models were swapped for some characters, display connection status for Ranked Matches, and more.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I ended up swapping to Sarah because she's a better fit for how I generally play. I was doing good with Akira though, but she feels more natural to me. Has nothing to do with the learning curve.

@VirtuaKazama I think the lobby system is bugged. Played last night with Silent, Law, & Next Frame then it kept kicking us & wouldn't let us play then only spectate, but we figured it out.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD