The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Here's my two cents: Too little, too late.
How so? I don't think it's ever too late to think about a game's future xD I'm sure if VF decided at any time to make a VF6 that would build alot of excitement since VF is still a pretty well known FG franchise, they could even make a major balance update to US and that would definitely help too since the only thing now is that VF5US just hasn't a received an update like that yet but that's expected since the game is already pretty well balanced

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
How so? I don't think it's ever too late to think about a game's future xD I'm sure if VF decided at any time to make a VF6 that would build alot of excitement since VF is still a pretty well known FG franchise, they could even make a major balance update to US and that would definitely help too since the only thing now is that VF5US just hasn't a received an update like that yet but that's expected since the game is already pretty well balanced
VF5US is treated as a remake, but what could they change when the balance is already perfect as is?

I think you're mad at the wrong people. The pandemic made Sega restructure their whole business model and sell off their arcade division, where Virtua Fighter was most profitable: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...s-are-officially-set-to-disappear-from-japan/
COVID killed VF6.
Keep in mind that SEGA is part of the Japanese eSports Union, or JeSU for short. They have two JeSU-sponsored games, which is Puyo Puyo Champions and VF5US. So it's not all doom and gloom.
Here's my two cents: Too little, too late.
If that's what you feel, that's fine. Not gonna argue with you there. Personally for me I feel like as long as there a scene here that's playing, it'll never truly die. We're not as big as Tekken, but our passion for the game is still strong. And this is coming from someone who is a TO for the scene.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
VF5US is treated as a remake, but what could they change when the balance is already perfect as is?

Keep in mind that SEGA is part of the Japanese eSports Union, or JeSU for short. They have two JeSU-sponsored games, which is Puyo Puyo Champions and VF5US. So it's not all doom and gloom.

If that's what you feel, that's fine. Not gonna argue with you there. Personally for me I feel like as long as there a scene here that's playing, it'll never truly die. We're not as big as Tekken, but our passion for the game is still strong. And this is coming from someone who is a TO for the scene.
That's what I was saying, there's nothing they can really change. That's why I think US is pretty tame player base wise since it's a remake, it's like if TTT1 got a remake and didn't adjust anything. A VF6 release tho would definitely get alot of attention with more mechanics(no meter mechanics or anything) like different hit properties and stage types

TheHunterKiller692

How so? I don't think it's ever too late to think about a game's future xD
You're probably right, but considering the disillusion towards fighting games at the moment, I mostly fear the worst.

That's what I was saying, there's nothing they can really change. A VF6 release tho would definitely get alot of attention with more mechanics like different hit properties and stage types.
It's either they just do the same thing they've always been doing or they alienate the playerbase with shit no one asked for. Pick one, or else you're a walking contradiction.

Derock

A VF6 release tho would definitely get alot of attention with more mechanics(no meter mechanics or anything) like different hit properties and stage types

They already did stage changes back in VF3 (slopes, uneven, irregular, etc.). That was ONE of the negative aspects stated by fans back in the day with that game.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
They already did stage changes back in VF3 (slopes, uneven, irregular, etc.). That was ONE of the negative aspects stated by fans back in the day with that game.
Yeah but that was also back then, T4 got the same flack for that too but now there's people wanting that back in too xD

I'm not talking slopes tho, I mean stuff like maybe wall breaks that expand the arena and stuff like that. Even without that tho, my main point of additions still stand tho

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
It seems that SEGA filed a trademark for VF3tb Online.Net. For those wondering, Virtua Fighter 3tb has a strong tournament scene in Japan and also: VF3tb is one of the games coming to Like a Dragon Gaiden: Infinite Wealth.

Also this Saturday, SEGA is hosting an official Exhibition with eight of their JeSU-Licensed players in VF5US. They will be using the arcade version of the game, which is APM3, and it will be streamed on YouTube.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
It seems that SEGA filed a trademark for VF3tb Online.Net. For those wondering, Virtua Fighter 3tb has a strong tournament scene in Japan and also: VF3tb is one of the games coming to Like a Dragon Gaiden: Infinite Wealth.

Also this Saturday, SEGA is hosting an official Exhibition with eight of their JeSU-Licensed players in VF5US. They will be using the arcade version of the game, which is APM3, and it will be streamed on YouTube.

Hoping and praying for good news.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Announced earlier tonight: SEGA is releasing Virtua Fighter 3tb Online for arcades. True to the name, VF3tb Online includes online play on the APM3 using the same features from the Arcade Version of VF5US. You also now have the option to swap music to the Arrange BGM, which was first featured on VF5US as part of the Yakuza DLC. Let's also not forget that VF3tb is also going to be ported to consoles via Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth. The arcade release will be this Tuesday, 11/28/2023.

In addition to that, SEGA is releasing VF3tb Online Premium Collection, a 2-Disc Soundtrack album which contains both versions of the VF3 soundtrack. Also releasing on 11/28/2023 as well.

As for VF5US, SEGA will be resuming tournaments, starting on February with a 256-man tournament. This is titled Virtua Fighter esports Special Cup.

In addition to that, Seiji Aoki (current producer for the VF series) is keeping quiet on the matter in terms of the support, but rest assured: the project for VF5US is still ongoing. Full article about the announcement can be found here: https://cohost.org/gosokkyu/post/3653837-virtua-fighter-produ

TheHunterKiller692

Announced earlier tonight: SEGA is releasing Virtua Fighter 3tb Online for arcades. True to the name, VF3tb Online includes online play on the APM3 using the same features from the Arcade Version of VF5US. You also now have the option to swap music to the Arrange BGM, which was first featured on VF5US as part of the Yakuza DLC. In addition to that, SEGA is releasing VF3tb Online Premium Collection, a 2-Disc Soundtrack album which contains both versions of the VF3 soundtrack. Also releasing on 11/28/2023, as well.
Sounds neat.

HHH816

More "why only japan "complain on twitter but the game look bad though i guess only hardcore vf japanese play this

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
More "why only japan "complain on twitter but the game look bad though i guess only hardcore vf japanese play this
At the time, it was considered the black sheep of the VF series. But since 2014, there has been a resurgence with the game since various tournaments were held. They even have their own league for it. Hell, even Mochi-A competes in VF3tb. In addition, we also hold events in the US for this game, mostly on Fightcade and Parsec.

It also appeared at EVO Japan 2023 as a side tournament at one point. Not to mention, everyone will get a chance to play this game at Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth.

Derock

At the time, it was considered the black sheep of the VF series. But since 2014, there has been a resurgence with the game since various tournaments were held. They even have their own league for it. Hell, even Mochi-A competes in VF3tb. In addition, we also hold events in the US for this game, mostly on Fightcade and Parsec.

It also appeared at EVO Japan 2023 as a side tournament at one point. Not to mention, everyone will get a chance to play this game at Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth.

I'm shocked that there was even a resurgence because of its status of being the black sheep of the franchise. But then again, there are a couple of reasons why it was one, but then recently, it actually isn't, thanks to the Japanese players.

So why VF3 original and 3tb is the black sheep:
1) The arenas changed to be "realistic" with slopes, uneven areas, walls, etc.
2) The inclusion of the evade button, making the game 4 buttons instead of the standard 3.

And there's more for the Western side of things:
3) When the game came out in the arcades back in 1996, it was a smash hit in Japan, beating Tekken 2 and Soul Edge. The west, however, due to how expensive the Model 3 boards were, didn't get or able to afford the game (however, I did ran to some cabinets back in the day, and beat it!), making it rare, plus the game cost $1 to play unlike playing for 50 cents on other fighters and other genres.
4) The ill-fated Saturn port that Sega and AM2 couldn't find a way to make it work, resulting its cancellation. But the port was save for the upcoming Dreamcast. However, when 3tb came out as a launch title, despite not heavily accurate to the arcade version, was a hit in Japan. The west had to delay the game (and then you know about Soul Calibur 1 blowing everything away, when that became a launch title!) and couldn't lay a finger against SC.

But, technically, it is not a bad game because:
1) "Simplify" the movesets for everyone: throws are now in their dedicate throw buttons instead being toss around in other buttons from previous titles and other Model 2 fighters: DOA1, Sonic the Fighters and Fighting Vipers.
2) Lots of strategies with the uneven arenas, walls, usage of the evade button and advance techs with throw escaping, that later evolve in 4 onwards. And some were pretty cool and funny to watch (i.e. Pai pulled her DDT throw at the edge of the ring)
3) The designs were similar to VF2. Shame Sega couldn't bring that (and 2 designs) back in later games for customization, looking at Pai and Sarah!
4) Team Battle is awesome as there is no limit, you can choose whomever or have the 3 of the same character ala Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 after unlocking the characters.
5) And yes, there was a story that made some progress: Sarah was saved by Jacky, Akira won the 2nd tournament, Kage saved his mother, who was Dural, from J6 and Wolf suddenly getting weird dreams. Although, not too much on others: Pai still couldn't beat her father, Jeffry still chasing after the shark.
6) Tons of secrets and easter eggs.
7) The music! And we're getting the arranged tracks too that was rumored supposed to be an option on the cancelled Saturn port.

If it does come to the upcoming Yakuza/Like A Dragon sequel, I can't wait to play it!

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
If it does come to the upcoming Yakuza/Like A Dragon sequel, I can't wait to play it!
At 4:37

So why VF3 original and 3tb is the black sheep:
1) The arenas changed to be "realistic" with slopes, uneven areas, walls, etc.
2) The inclusion of the evade button, making the game 4 buttons instead of the standard 3.

Yeah. Back then, it was split between VF2 players and VF3 players. It was evident during the Athena Cup/Beat-Tribe Cup era of the Mid-Late 90s. I recall 3rd Strike had a similar situation especially since SF3: New Generation wasn't received well at the time, along with 2nd Impact. 3rd Strike didn't get the proper respect until 2-3 years after its release thanks to Japanese tournaments and the icing on the cake was EVO Moment #37 where it really made people appreciate the game more nowadays.

3) The designs were similar to VF2. Shame Sega couldn't bring that (and 2 designs) back in later games for customization, looking at Pai and Sarah!
I know Sarah's Type E costume in VF5R and VF5FS are somewhat based on her 2P costume from VF3tb.
7) The music! And we're getting the arranged tracks too that was rumored supposed to be an option on the cancelled Saturn port.
I actually saw the tracklist for the soundtrack that I pre-ordered a few days ago...

≪VFes DLC -VF3 Arr Ver.-/2021≫
01. JACKY
02. LION
03 AOI
04. JEFFRY
05. SARAH
06. CAVE / BRAD
07. KAGE
08. PAI
09. SHUN
10. LAU 11.
WOLF
12. TAKA-ARASHI
13. AKIRA
14. DURAL
15. Extra Stage / Modesty / JEAN
16. Extra Stage / Impudence / EL-BLAZE
17. Extra Stage / The Killer Mantis / LEI-FEI
18. Extra Stage / Brandish Fist / EILEEN
19. Extra Stage / Persevering / VANESSA
21. Extra Stage / Tears of Falling / GOH

≪VF3tb Online -VF3 Arr Ver.-/2023≫
20. Extra Stage / Cool Bell
22. ENTRY

≪VF3/AOU1996≫
23. Introduction Video / AOI
24. Introduction Video / DURAL

≪ VF3/1996≫
25. Unused / First Steps
26. Unused / True Behind the Scenes Beginning
27. Unused / Game Over and Result

≪Virtua Fighter 3 on the Vocal/2023≫
28. Don't Think, Feel / Takenobu
Mitsuyoshi29 . Don't Think, Feel [Karaoke]

Derock

Yeah. Back then, it was split between VF2 players and VF3 players. It was evident during the Athena Cup/Beat-Tribe Cup era of the Mid-Late 90s. I recall 3rd Strike had a similar situation especially since SF3: New Generation wasn't received well at the time, along with 2nd Impact. 3rd Strike didn't get the proper respect until 2-3 years after its release thanks to Japanese tournaments and the icing on the cake was EVO Moment #37 where it really made people appreciate the game more nowadays.

I know Sarah's Type E costume in VF5R and VF5FS are somewhat based on her 2P costume from VF3tb.
I know many prefer 2 because of the option to change the arena size to the point of making "sumo matches". Also for the Street Fighter III 3rd Strike situation, it was also because of the accessibility on releasing the game for the PS2 (Japan: stand alone release, the west via Anniversary Collection with Hyper Street Fighter II). Now I wish Tekken 4 gets a similar suit but Tekken fans don't want go back to OP new Jin and Steve dominating matches.

Sarah's Type E - it's okay but doesn't look similar. Its like when I actually recreated Pai's VF2 outfit, thanks to the color palette. Only thing missing was her tiara.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD