"This ends now. By my hand!" Kasumi's DOA5LR Discussion Thread

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Is it bad to play offensively with Kasumi?
No.

Playing offensively with Kasumi is perfectly fine. Her High/Mid/Low/Throw mix-up game is great. As long as you're not throwing unsafe moves on an opponent's block or whiffing moves with a lot of recovery frames, then you should be fine. Playing defensively with Kasumi works well too, and is recommendable when facing characters with strong close-range offense or mix-up such as Zack for instance.

panicitstylor

So, I was playing around with Kasumi's 236T to see if there was higher damage, or an easier way to get it.
Then, I did this combo 236T, K, 3P, PPKK and it worked. BUT, I can't get it to work again? Haha. If anyone knows how to get it to work, let me know! :)

PMS_Akali

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Premium Donor
So, I was playing around with Kasumi's 236T to see if there was higher damage, or an easier way to get it.
Then, I did this combo 236T, K, 3P, PPKK and it worked. BUT, I can't get it to work again? Haha. If anyone knows how to get it to work, let me know! :)
That's weird. Looks like it has something to do with the weird float properties in that area of the stage.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
No.

Playing offensively with Kasumi is perfectly fine. Her High/Mid/Low/Throw mix-up game is great. As long as you're not throwing unsafe moves on an opponent's block or whiffing moves with a lot of recovery frames, then you should be fine. Playing defensively with Kasumi works well too, and is recommendable when facing characters with strong close-range offense or mix-up such as Zack for instance.
Inaccurate. Against Zack, you want to take advantage of speed in his face because she's faster than him. You force Zack to space & play off reads rather than allow him to bully you. Plus, most of Zack's mixups are disadvantaged if you parry them. You've got no reason to play off of him.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Inaccurate. Against Zack, you want to take advantage of speed in his face because she's faster than him. You force Zack to space & play off reads rather than allow him to bully you. Plus, most of Zack's mixups are disadvantaged if you parry them. You've got no reason to play off of him.
True. You can fight him either way, and have found that spacing him out works fine, since it's good to keep him from generating momentum with his close-range mix-up game. The match-up isn't really troublesome for Kasumi anyway.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Ok, so I experimented with the exploding barrels in the new stage, 33P, 3H+K, 33K, 7K, 3P+K~K, and 4KP seem to be guaranteed launchers. Anything that has the hoshinpo K follow up is also guaranteed too, and you can use 4+K too or any other stun attack that doesn't knock down or launch in case you wanna go for a more damaging but risky set up. :-D

Last edited:

XxNoriakixX

I am wondering if someone could post the current tier list and tell me why there are not many kasumi's out there anymore please ? I mean yeah, most studied character etc but nowadays you can say the same about christie, leifang and helena lol

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I am wondering if someone could post the current tier list and tell me why there are not many kasumi's out there anymore please ? I mean yeah, most studied character etc but nowadays you can say the same about christie, leifang and helena lol
Kasumi is high tier, but you have to work for her damage and she's pretty unsafe so alot of players don't usually use her at a higher level too often. Christie is way easier to win with in comparison, Leifang has good defense and holds and parries, and Helena is just pretty difficult to play against, but you don't always see her either since she's pretty high execution and you got to be fluid with her to get far.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I've been playing around with Kasumi's 1PP for the last couple of days and was wondering why even though it's a static string why it's unsafe in block on block...call me slow but I realized why. XD It's what I call a "baiting" string since you can just not finish it and go for something else like 3K, 6P, or 6K. It's just like her 3K and 2K, I love it!☆ I've been implementing it in set ups and like the additional element of unpredictability it grants. I'm definitely using it a lot more, I never did before because I never looked too much into its stun.

UprisingJC

I've been playing around with Kasumi's 1PP for the last couple of days and was wondering why even though it's a static string why it's unsafe in block on block...call me slow but I realized why. XD It's what I call a "baiting" string since you can just not finish it and go for something else like 3K, 6P, or 6K. It's just like her 3K and 2K, I love it!☆ I've been implementing it in set ups and like the additional element of unpredictability it grants. I'm definitely using it a lot more, I never did before because I never looked too much into its stun.
The problem is that 1pp hits high and 1p hits low. The safest way for the opponent to deal with this is to just low throw Kasumi after 1p hits him/her on NH, which is -9 for Kasumi.

If you don't throw out 1pp, you get grabbed by a low throw.
If you throw it out, it whiffs on the opponent trying to grab you and then you're at disadvantage after you whiff 1pp and he/she whiffs the low grab.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The problem is that 1pp hits high and 1p hits low. The safest way for the opponent to deal with this is to just low throw Kasumi after 1p hits him/her on NH, which is -9 for Kasumi.

If you don't throw out 1pp, you get grabbed by a low throw.
If you throw it out, it whiffs on the opponent trying to grab you and then you're at disadvantage after you whiff 1pp and he/she whiffs the low grab.
Oh I know, this is why I've never really used it XD It's good but risky in neutral when you want to see if your opponent will react a certain way. I use it mainly in stuns since a low is not only surprising but you don't have to finish the string or use a high to keep it going you can just use 6P or 6K after it to keep the stun threshold.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor

Pretty much what @UprisingJC said. It's essentially a shenanigan against people that don't know how to deal with the string. For low-high strings where the first hit leaves you unsafe, a low throw becomes an option select. On CH however, 1P is good, especially with Kasumi's strike speeds. On NH it's BS. 1P~6P isn't a thing for example lol.

UprisingJC

Pretty much what @UprisingJC said. It's essentially a shenanigan against people that don't know how to deal with the string. For low-high strings where the first hit leaves you unsafe, a low throw becomes an option select. On CH however, 1P is good, especially with Kasumi's strike speeds. On NH it's BS. 1P~6P isn't a thing for example lol.

That's why I have no idea how to use this move.
Her second fastest instant crouching move in her arsenal.

It doesn't track, leaves Kasumi -9 on NH and its follow-up is only one, i.e, 1pp, and lame.
I used to hope to use it to retaliate to stop my opponent from high crush, mid (punch) holds or parries and SS but unfortunately it can't.

I have to rely on her moves like 6K for the purpose. I often use it against characters like hayabusa cuz players are often forced to guess if busa's going for a high crush(33p), raw mid izuna punch hold or SS after blocking some of his safe moves such as 6PK(-5 on block). Her 1P can't deal with SS, and leaves her -9 on NH, so it's pointless to retaliate with 1p in a situation like that.

In terms of playing a stun game, I also barely use this move.
Reasons:
1.It doesn't really cause a long stun(+12 ~ +19) and the only thing guaranteed after 1p is a jab, which hits the same hit level just like her 1pp.
2.Nowadays there're still lots of low hold abusers around. I don't want to get caught by that so I don't feel like using lows for a stun game.
However, last year I used it to extend the stun when I was about to finish Fuwachin, a top Kokoro player in Japan, in Top 8 in DOA Festival just in order to surprise him, lol.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Honestly, the move is used to crush highs, but if you know how to use 4P, 6P, 33P, or 2P, then you really don't need it. You can use it to reset your stun game or to extend it a bit too.

UprisingJC

Honestly, the move is used to crush highs, but if you know how to use 4P, 33P, or 2P, then you really don't need it. You can use it to reset your stun game or to extend it a bit too.
33P and 2P do crush highs, too, but 4P?
A bit more explanation is appreciated.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
33P and 2P do crush highs, too, but 4P?
A bit more explanation is appreciated.
Yes 4P does. It's not a true mid as none of her moves that are mids are, but 4P's animation ducks under a jab & counter pokes the opponent. That's why it possesses crush properties. That's why she scores a CH each time someone challenges her with a jab of some type unless you're Sarah, Jacky, Akira, or Pai.

UprisingJC

Yes 4P does. It's not a true mid as none of her moves that are mids are, but 4P's animation ducks under a jab & counter pokes the opponent. That's why it possesses crush properties. That's why she scores a CH each time someone challenges her with a jab of some type unless you're Sarah, Jacky, Akira, or Pai.
I wonder if it's character-dependent as it seems that each character's jab hitbox differs from one another.
If 4P crushes highs then I shouldn't be outpoked by characters with an i10 or i11 jab in neutral...

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I wonder if it's character-dependent as it seems that each character's jab hitbox differs from one another.
If 4P crushes highs then I shouldn't be outpoked by characters with an i10 or i11 jab in neutral...
You actually can counter poke them the same way, but this is my fault for not being very clear. I was eating & didn't want to drop my food. However, it's not as easy to hit them with it because of how they're able to attack (VF frames). You still counter them the same as any other character, though. I like 4P a lot more than 6P when playing her neutral game. It's also one of her best whiff punishers. Has a lot more use anywhere on the screen, but the main thing is she ducks under as she's poking, hence the crush properties.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD