Thoughts on Diego and NiCO

human013

If you mean facial expressions, then you're right but if you mean face design for the girls, than I need you to cite some examples ofrom 5 before I can agree with you because I'm pretty sure that up until Honoka showed up, every girl had a distinct facial design.

To get back to Diego and NiCO; I find it a bit odd that they made NiCO european despite being made to appeal to asian audiences. I'll give TN some credit in trying to make her distinct with her Silat fighting style (according to the wiki, she is the first character in a fighting game with that style) with electrical abilities and distinct hair color, as out of place as it is. Compare this to Diego's design which I can describe as Miguel from Tekken with worse hair* and is Mexican-American rather than Spanish.

*Seriously, his hair is terrible.
Kasumi and Ayane then Leifang and Hitomi. Minuscule changes, slap on different hair, and there is a new character. I don't know about this place but when Mai was shown people, including me, thought it was Momiji at first. The DOA5 character models were even shown to be the same a while back.

I don't know what it is but this place is the only place that really believes it never existed before Marie. Even I experienced the same face issue first hand and others have been complaining since DOA5 released. I have never seen the same face complaint for any other game besides maybe MK. I'll leave it at this though. The consensus here is that it didn't exist before Marie so there is no point discussing it.
DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round_20181130220018.jpg
DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round_20181130220151.jpg

Atahotaku

Compare this to Diego's design which I can describe as Miguel from Tekken with worse hair* and is Mexican-American rather than Spanish.
At least Diego doesn't fall in the stereotype of "spanish men are Antonio Banderas in a mexican film" x'D You can say what you want, but Diego is a better latino approach than Miguel (or Vega/Balrog) as spanish men x'D

I was very happy with 5 when they showed Mila and she wasn't a fucking "bailaora" or a female bull fighter. The only stereotype with her it's that she likes paella xD

Last edited:

ShinobiOfTheWind

I was very happy with 5 when they showed Mila and she wasn't a fucking "bailaora" or a female bull fighter. The only stereotype with her it's that she likes paella xD

I'm french and my favorite dishes are french, so I don't blame Mila Ahahah.

Concerning Diego and Miguel, it would be awesome to have a fighter with Miguel's hair. Every DOA characters got smooth hair, so it could create more diversity ! (and i don't count Alpha's last Halloween hair, of course xD).

Ninoasker

Diego: 5/5!
I love him a lot and he's definitely one of my fav characters in DOA (design-wise) so far!
His design screams anime badass beefcake, and that's definitely my type lol. Those scars, that tan, that stubborn beard... jfc I'm melting!
Also, the fact that's he has latino blood is a welcome addition to balance the latino characters' roster a bit (before him, there were 2 latinas, Lisa and Mila, and just 1 latino, Leon. But now there's 2-2!). We'll see what his story is about, but so far I also like it. I like street fighters, and I really hope his story is actually relevant due to the fact that it may be connected with Rig (as we saw in the trailer) and/or his past.
Just don't do with him like they did with Mila in 5, where they gave her barely any relevance and Rig was the one who got all the love and the most importance in the story out of the two with all the MIST and Donovan shit.
If you make new characters, take the time to give him an actual relevance and don't just turn him into some filler!

NiCO: 2/5
At first, she was a real mess for me.
Her design was just yikes, the fact that she was your typical "muh 18 y/o prodigious scientist waifu" didn't do it for me, either.
But the more we learn about her and how much detail and research they've put just in the character alone (like the fact that her name is the nickel carbonate's chemical formula, or that she uses Fleming's left-hand and right-hand rules for electric motors/generators are just some of those amazing details!), I'm liking her more and more.
The design is still not my cup of tea, I just like some small details like her hair without hair clips, and we'll see her costumes... for now none were fine to my eye. But the hair is just a mess imo. Not just the color (which I'm fine with blue color, but if this was more dark and not that saturated) but also the actual hair style, which looks like they're having a costume party in MIST's HQ and she just brought the cosplay weave she bought in Aliexpress last week for Black Friday.

Shining_Wave

To me, Diego looks like Maxi from SC, who looks like this guy, who looks like that guy... does every designer for every game give us the same basic characters in every series?

Are all they all just a bunch of followers? At least DOA doesn't have bears, dinosaurs, kangaroos, etc.

Ninoasker

At least Diego doesn't fall in the stereotype of "spanish men are Antonio Banderas in a mexican film" x'D You can say what you want, but Diego is a better latino approach than Miguel (or Vega/Balrog) as spanish men x'D

Even if I love Miguel, you're absolutely right lol. Diego's design doesn't live for Mexican stereotypes, while Miguel and Vega... oof. Their designs are basically that lol. DOA has been doing a great job with designs and stereotypes tho, I remember not knowing Mila was Spanish until I checked her bio. And other than Paella (which is not that much of a stereotype since we all probably like our country's food more than the rest lol), she doesn't have anything that screams "LOOK AT ME I'M SPANISH". I'm really happy with having her as a representation of my country! Can't say the same for Vega, and Miguel... well, I like him, but he's basically another Torero like Vega yet less obnoxious, so I can't say he's a good representation either (just better than Vega lol).

human013

To me, Diego looks like Maxi from SC, who looks like this guy, who looks like that guy... does every designer for every game give us the same basic characters in every series?

Are all they all just a bunch of followers? At least DOA doesn't have bears, dinosaurs, kangaroos, etc.
Fighting games have been doing that since forever. The Bruce Lee characters have no shirt on, wear baggy pants, are guys, and all do the Bruce Lee voice. Just get the template and add in the personal touches. The same applies to the big wrestler guy, the old martial arts master, the Chinese female fighter, the drunken fighter, and so on. Diego and his fighting style is just another box DOA checked off.

Maxi looks more slick since I've always seen his as an Elvis Bruce Lee combo while Diego looks more rough. As for dinos and whatever else, at least TN knows what fits the series and what doesn't. If Nico, Marie, and Honoka already made people lose their minds then I can't imagine what a dinosaur or bear would do to people.

Didn't know Nico's age was also an issue but as I understood it, the other girls were as young or even younger when they made their debut and were also proficient in what they did. Not much different from a teenage ninja taking out an older more experienced ninja.

Ninoasker

Didn't know Nico's age was also an issue but as I understood it, the other girls were as young or even younger when they made their debut and were also proficient in what they did. Not much different from a teenage ninja taking out an older more experienced ninja.
There’s not a problem with NiCO being 18. The problem here comes when literally half of the cast is 18 already. It just feels so monotonous and it’s pretty obvious that its a bait for Japanese men (let’s not forget how much they love their “pure & virginal high schooler” troupe in Japan). Literally ALL of the girls revealed after Marie Rose for both the main DOA and DOAX rosters have been 18 y/o girls. Even Luna, who’s supposed to be an alien of some sort lol. The only exceptions are Nyotengu for DOA and Tamaki for DOAX. And Nyotengu’s age is literally unrealistic due to her not being human, so Tamaki is the only one with a realistic age that’s been created for a recent DOA game (and it’s not even a main entry game) with a different age other than 18.
At this rate, it wouldn’t surprise me if we end up getting a teen mom who joins the DOA tournament to get some $$$ that can help her with her child as a new DLC character for 6 if they keep the 18 teenage girl trend lol.

Atahotaku

There’s not a problem with NiCO being 18. The problem here comes when literally half of the cast is 18 already. It just feels so monotonous and it’s pretty obvious that its a bait for Japanese men (let’s not forget how much they love their “pure & virginal high schooler” troupe in Japan). Literally ALL of the girls revealed after Marie Rose for both the main DOA and DOAX rosters have been 18 y/o girls. Even Luna, who’s supposed to be an alien of some sort lol. The only exceptions are Nyotengu for DOA and Tamaki for DOAX. And Nyotengu’s age is literally unrealistic due to her not being human, so Tamaki is the only one with a realistic age that’s been created for a recent DOA game (and it’s not even a main entry game) with a different age other than 18.
At this rate, it wouldn’t surprise me if we end up getting a teen mom who joins the DOA tournament to get some $$$ that can help her with her child as a new DLC character for 6 if they keep the 18 teenage girl trend lol.
Or we could have a 42 years old loli like Zenkichi's mom. Because Japan! x'D

tumblr_oi1t1oWTAr1rv6c48o1_540.png

Ninoasker

Or we could have a 42 years old loli like Zenkichi's mom. Because Japan! x'D

View attachment 26597
SPOILER: Marie Rose is revealed to be a +500 y/o Vampire who lies about being 18! She also gets a new clone DLC character that’s her true, crusty old self and it’s slower than all the grapplers combined! Pedobait whom? Checkmate SJWs, another victory for us gamerz :cool:

SaihateDYNAMO

According to the wiki Nyotengu is 1018 so that kinda shows what TN is going for here. Nyo looks (10)25 in my opinion, and clearly they consider her to be one of the more "mature females" with her seductress personality as well as that new poster where they have her posing with the 20-something year olds so I don't get why they had to make her and every other new girl freshly legal, it's lowkey creepy.

...the other girls were as young or even younger when they made their debut and were also proficient in what they did. Not much different from a teenage ninja taking out an older more experienced ninja.
It's not about the age, to me, the design plays a big part, especially when it comes to the face. The 18/"unknown" year-old characters used to look more... mature I guess? For example, Kokoro was 17 in DOA4 but could easily have passed as a college student like Leifang due to how she carried herself, and back then Eliot was 16 but still had a older-looking face than NiCO while still pulling the Boku no Pico twink look off. Even Kasumi and Ayane, who were the youngest girls in the games until Kokoro came around still had a very aged-up vibe to them because of how they were presented. They were cute girls with soft faces but at first glance nobody ever really questioned if they were 13 years old like NiCO because all the other girls looked like that, even the 20+ year olds like Christie and Helena. It was just the art style. Then when DOA5 was revealed everyone got a unique glow-up, and even more so now in DOA6.

Flash forward to 2018, NiCO is 18 but has the small, soft face and rounded chin that most of the girls don't have anymore since the art style got more realistic in DOA5/6. Marie of all people literally looks older than NiCO now and I actually think her and Honoka now look like actual 18 year old high schoolers when I look at their DOA6 renders up close. NiCO just looks like a child trying to act grown. With her current look, if they said NiCO was 15 I would be totally fine with that but she looks like how Marie and Honoka used to look back in DOA5.

human013

I just don't see why being 18 is such a big deal or "creepy" all of a sudden. Going off the wiki for when the characters made their debut:

Younger (18 or below)
  • Ayane-16
  • Kasumi-17
  • Kokoro-17
  • Hitomi 18
Mid (19 up to 20)
  • Leifang-19
Older (21 and up)
  • Mila-21
  • Helena-21
  • Lisa-21
  • Tina-22
  • Christie-24
  • Nyotengu-1000+
There was 4 girls 18 or younger.

Now for DOA6 with the Nico and her group:

Younger (18 is now the minimum)
  • Ayane-18
  • Marie-18
  • Honoka-18
  • Nico-18
Mid (19 up to 20)
  • Kasumi-19
  • Kokoro-19
  • Hitomi-20
Older (21 and up)
  • Leifang-21
  • Mila-21
  • Helena-23
  • Lisa-23
  • Tina-24
  • Christie-26
  • Nyotengu-1000+
There’s not a problem with NiCO being 18. The problem here comes when literally half of the cast is 18 already.
I don't see half the cast being 18. There are 4 girls that are 18y/o in 6 and before Marie there were 4 girls debuting as 18 or younger.

It just feels so monotonous and it’s pretty obvious that its a bait for Japanese men (let’s not forget how much they love their “pure & virginal high schooler” troupe in Japan).
Basically what DOA always did?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I just don't see why being 18 is such a big deal or "creepy" all of a sudden. Going off the wiki for when the characters made their debut:
I don't see half the cast being 18. There are 4 girls that are 18y/o in 6 and before Marie there were 4 girls debuting as 18 or younger.

I think it's pretty obvious, sweetie. We're all getting old and these bitches are stayin' young.

human013

I think it's pretty obvious, sweetie. We're all getting old and these bitches are stayin' young.
Never seen that take before. DOA shouldn't have 18y/o characters because real people are getting older. If we go by that logic then DOA has always been creepy or whatever since there has always been characters that were either 18y/o or younger. Assuming people over 20 played the game back then.

ShinobiOfTheWind

Younger (18 or below)
  • Ayane-16
  • Kasumi-17
  • Kokoro-17
  • Hitomi 18
Mid (19 up to 20)
  • Leifang-19
Older (21 and up)
  • Mila-21
  • Helena-21
  • Lisa-21
  • Tina-22
  • Christie-24
  • Nyotengu-1000+
There was 4 girls 18 or younger.

Now for DOA6 with the Nico and her group:

Younger (18 is now the minimum)
  • Ayane-18
  • Marie-18
  • Honoka-18
  • Nico-18
Mid (19 up to 20)
  • Kasumi-19
  • Kokoro-19
  • Hitomi-20
Older (21 and up)
  • Leifang-21
  • Mila-21
  • Helena-23
  • Lisa-23
  • Tina-24
  • Christie-26
  • Nyotengu-1000+

Anyway, the cast isn't all feminine, do you remember ?

Never seen that take before. DOA shouldn't have 18y/o characters because real people are getting older. If we go by that logic then DOA has always been creepy or whatever since there has always been characters that were either 18y/o or younger. Assuming people over 20 played the game back then.
And don't forget the tournaments normally organized 1/ year, then there shouldn't be 18 yo anymore. DOA timeline always lost me ahah.

Leifasumi

I wish both would be scrapped and TN give us an egotistical male and a gypsy or black or indian or middle easter or native american or anything that's not anime female, smh.

human013

Anyway, the cast isn't all feminine, do you remember ?
Did you remember to follow the conversation?

What's next? People are going to start saying DOA6 is the first game to add fanservice? Joking aside, I was just wondering why the number 18 suddenly became such a big deal when DOA, since the first game, always had 18 or younger. Like c'mon, DOA people are just now complaining about ages? What happened during DOA1-4 then? Was it creepy and obvious up to DOA4 and 5 was the first not creepy game?
Carry on though. I think I got the picture.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team

I never said it shouldn't have 18 year olds, but there is a pretty simple explanation why some are meh about it.

Did you remember to follow the conversation?

What's next? People are going to start saying DOA6 is the first game to add fanservice? Joking aside, I was just wondering why the number 18 suddenly became such a big deal when DOA, since the first game, always had 18 or younger. Like c'mon, DOA people are just now complaining about ages? What happened during DOA1-4 then? Was it creepy and obvious up to DOA4 and 5 was the first not creepy game?
Carry on though. I think I got the picture.

I don't really see anyone freaking out about it... it's pretty common for Japanese development to fill their content up with teenage girls. I just think there are some people that wish for a more realistic spread of ages. What's wrong with that exactly?

Everyone gets old, and I think that Japanese fantasy singles a lot of people out most of the time and gives people unrealistic expectations on themselves to some degree.

human013

I don't really see anyone freaking out about it... it's pretty common for Japanese development to fill their content up with teenage girls. I just think there are some people that wish for a more realistic spread of ages. What's wrong with that exactly?
This is exactly what baffles me. The current age range is 18-26 excluding Nyotengu. If Marie and the other two weren't 18 Ayane would be the only 18y/o with Kasumi and Kokoro being 19. There would be 3 girls under 20 and 8 girls at 20 or over. Does that look skewed to anyone? The teen group got smaller and the 20+ group is got larger. As for the "realistic spread of ages" there are still 4 younger girls in an increasing cast of 19+ y/o like how it has been since DOA1. Just look at the actual numbers. The only difference is the minimum age is now 18 instead of 16 or 17 (and we know why DOA can't go lower). Nothing really changed.

Everyone gets old, and I think that Japanese fantasy singles a lot of people out most of the time and gives people unrealistic expectations on themselves to some degree.
Sure you can say that but that is meaningless though. Compared to the old DOAs the format is exactly the same. Reusing the same faces and now the age. It seems a bit late to only now start complaining about things that were accepted for over a decade or 2 just because some people got older.

Why would people expect a game to change and fill their needs just because they got older? People really have this approach? What about the younger people just getting into DOA? The "characters are too young and so on" scenario can be applied to every DOA game as long as a person is 20+. Even more so before DOA5.

I'm starting to see that the positions people have are almost entirely personal rather than objective. There's nothing wrong with the complaints. Just wanted to understand why it was even a complaint to begin with. To me, the age and reusing faces complaints would be like DOA people complaining about fanservice in another game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD