DOA5LR Top Players are Returning to Dead or Alive 5: Last Round

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team

The top fighters of Dead or Alive have all had enough of Dead or Alive 6 and all of this was stewing up long before Team NINJA discontinued DLC for the game this week. Lopedo is returning to the scene to revert back to Dead or Alive 5, while mega player XcaliburBladeZ is also intrigued by the idea. The EVO champion Rikuto is interested in returning to the scene even if the DOA5 tournaments are just sides at majors because he will not enter DOA6 again.

Is the DOA community complete without Rikuto in it? Uhhhh... I think not. This series could go places if we explore the past to secure a future. With this kind of outrage from tournament players they can't play Dead or Alive 6 at tournaments because that tells the developers we still want DOA6!

Team NINJA will either need to repackage DOA6 completely or move onto the next game. While the future is unclear you are still entirely entitled to enjoy the games you have. Our game was always better when the power of it was in the hands of the community. Going back to DOA5 while Team NINJA works out the kinks for Dead or Alive's future seems like a safe bet and shows true commitment from the DOA tournament fighters.

Last edited:

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Everyone has to decide what their time is worth. As far as my time goes, playing a decent game is worth more of my time than playing a bad one. There is no rule that says DOA 6 is the one people have to be playing. It is, by nearly every standard, the worse game. Having higher chronological number doesn't make it a better experience.

That said, I won't be trying to convince anybody to do anything. If I'm at a tournament, and DOA 5 is one of the games there, I'll sign up. I won't be signing up for DOA 6 though. If people actually want DOA 5 to regain popularity, the thing to understand would be that it isn't going to magically just happen because everybody suddenly got the memo. It would take a lot of work from people who are still enthusiastic about the series for that to happen. It will be a slow grind towards that goal, if people decide it's what they want to do. And they probably should. DOA 5 was a mountain that was never fully climbed, especially since that glitch was discovered. DOA 6 was solved within the first month, there isn't anywhere left to go with that game.

Last edited:

lopedo

I've been playing DOA for many years, and I do get the itch to play it occasionally. The only DOA I ever put down before this point was 4, but that took 3 years of off and on. 6 I dropped almost instantly and very, very rarely touched it.

I don't really know about "reviving" 5, because knowing Team Ninja they'll release a 6:U and then some of the same people who dislike 6 will be playing that game, while the rest of us play 5. Another world tour may get announced, and then most people will go to get the participation award and top 8, which I mentioned yesterday in my stream. If there are only 8 people there, you will get top 8.

Me going back to 5 personally had nothing to do with Team Ninja announcing anything. I don't trust their announcement nor do I respect their word as anything important. There are decent people at Team Ninja, but for the most part this group has been selling a product and spitting in the face of those who buy it for years. So I'll play the game I like more, which is 5, and I'm not going to overthink or worry about DOA being popular in tournaments. That's Team Ninja's problem, and the grand majority of them simply don't give a fuck. Why should I?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Everyone has to decide what their time is worth. As far as my time goes, playing a decent game is worth more of my time than playing a bad one. There is no rule that says DOA 6 is the one people have to be playing. It is, by nearly every standard, the worse game. Having higher chronological number doesn't make it a better experience.

That said, I won't be trying to convince anybody to do anything. If I'm at a tournament, and DOA 5 is one of the games there, I'll sign up. I won't be signing up for DOA 6 though. If people actually want DOA 5 to regain popularity, the thing to understand would be that it isn't going to magically just happen because everybody suddenly got the memo. It would take a lot of work from people who are still enthusiastic about the series for that to happen. It will be a slow grind towards that goal, if people decide it's what they want to do. And they probably should. DOA 5 was a mountain that was never fully climbed, especially since that glitch was discovered. DOA 6 was solved within the first month, there isn't anywhere left to go with that game.

True yeah. People till this day still play 3rd Strike, heck even those Smash games people play such as Melee. A few years ago, 3rd Strike had more entrants than SFV did at Tougeki Battle Opera in Japan. Part of it was that it took some convincing to do so, which was difficult because majority only sticked to what's being supported. In some cases, it's as if some people play the new ones out of spite.

It's one of those issues that majority tend to only stick to the "latest" titles only, and only following that norm/trend. Sure 3rd Strike isn't supported anymore, but the time invested into that game was more worth it because of how that game played out, crowd chants at your local Japan arcades etc. There was real hype at the time vs fabricated current hype. I wouldn't mind watching DOA2U, DOA3 and DOA5 tournaments again.

Last edited:

iReally

everyone playing what they like. Majority of the series I only liked DOA2U. Servers died, so it was no enjoyment until competition comes around. 5 kept me around because I was hot headed , my local and rig. Everything is just same just new mechanics In a game. I hardly follow what KT/TN doing. Only listen to a couple that actually work there. So I never expected anything from them. Revamping 5 is easy online. Get a couple “TOP PLAYERS” to play it or run tournaments. People will follow up because of there favorite player playing or characters. Offline will be hard because people won’t travel.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Yep, though usually people won't travel because they are not obligated to, and DOA community doesn't have the offset numbers of a big chunk to compensate for the people that do not travel. It's either "Well you deal with what you have so there you go" or none, but situations like that takes it's toll because it's repeating itself and not exactly going anywhere.

If 100 people don't travel for Tekken 7, Tekken 7 would barely even be wounded. If 100 people don't travel for DOA, that's a big hit. Can't do anything about that if the game doesn't grow from within, on top that it's not big enough to begin with. DOA6 is no different other than being the latest supported title, which is basically "just that" technically. What they do from that is entirely up to them really, and how the community wants to tolerate it.

Last edited:

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
everyone playing what they like. Majority of the series I only liked DOA2U. Servers died, so it was no enjoyment until competition comes around. 5 kept me around because I was hot headed , my local and rig. Everything is just same just new mechanics In a game. I hardly follow what KT/TN doing. Only listen to a couple that actually work there. So I never expected anything from them. Revamping 5 is easy online. Get a couple “TOP PLAYERS” to play it or run tournaments. People will follow up because of there favorite player playing or characters. Offline will be hard because people won’t travel.

We haven't had issues with people "not traveling" in a long time. Many DOA players go to the same events for other games as well. The real bottleneck is simply the number of people who want to play at all.

But, again, with side tournament status the actual numbers don't really matter all that much.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
We haven't had issues with people "not traveling" in a long time. Many DOA players go to the same events for other games as well. The real bottleneck is simply the number of people who want to play at all.

But, again, with side tournament status the actual numbers don't really matter all that much.

It's also more cost effective because it's 5 dollars without a cap on players?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
... what glitch¿

FSDC. But that is not easy to do. People thought it ruined the game over at FB and competitive group which is false considering the risks you have to do to even get it to activate. People would toss a round just to land one. And even if it did, the TOs can ban it.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
We're just encouraging people to play the game they want. I will not be disrespectful and not represent people that do organize tournaments for 6. I'll write it up and hope it does well. DOA5 I just see more enjoyment happening through that game at the moment. I've seen a lot of people revert and they are blown away by how many lobbies are open.

Steady is the next big DOA6 player to revert to the good ol days

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
We're just encouraging people to play the game they want. I will not be disrespectful and not represent people that do organize tournaments for 6. I'll write it up and hope it does well.

I mean, other fighting game community sites still post articles about previous games such as tournaments or streams, reaction videos etc. KOFXIII and KOFXIV, Tekken sites with TTT2 and T6, Dustloop with Skullgirls, Smash obviously (Melee), NRS with Injustice II and MKX and MK11, and then Marvel vs Capcom 2 and 3. Marvel's community latest article and Discord news is literally about MvC2 recently and that game is hella damn old.

But hey, what you write is totally up to your story. You could write for both. Course only saying it because other fighting game sites do it with their previous games as well depending what it is, but the latest game usually take more priority for obvious reasons since it's new, but yeah. Cool to see Steady playing it.

Last edited:

TRI Mike

FSDC. But that is not easy to do. People thought it ruined the game over at FB and competitive group which is false considering the risks you have to do to even get it to activate. People would toss a round just to land one. And even if it did, the TOs can ban it.

Can you elaborate more¿ I have no clue what FSDC means.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Holy shit.

It can also be a blessing as it reveals tons and tons of combo potential with the roster, literally "everyone" bumps up a tier if people would use it consistently. The curse is what it does on block and on hit via stun etc. A move that's unsafe can be safe if it has a string attached from it while used as a raw move.

But again, not easy to do. In a match it can be easily forgotten and people can lose rounds just trying to attempt even one. At times, it's not even worth going for, believe it or not.

Last edited:

TRI Mike

Well, going back to the topic. I'm all down to playing DOA5LR again. 6 was just... not good at all. I definitely liked the changes to the stun threshold and the original sidestep mechanics were... OKish but the rest of the game is pretty mediocre. It pains me to go back to 5 because I main Honks and she's just soooo much better at 6 but I guess I'm fine switching to other characters if it means playing a better game.

It's gonna be pretty difficult to keep getting people to show up to side tourneys and in most places in the world, like here in Spain, the entire scene simply died with the end of DOA6 DLC as I'm sure no one will move a finger to show up at a DOA5 event in 2020 and beyond. But I can see some online lobbies happening occasionally to avoid forgetting where we came from.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
DOA2U/DOA3 >>> DOA6 > DOA5 don't @ me

lmao @ going back to DOA5
PC port is a blowup
Stagger Escaping is just dumb mashing
longer stuns are super wack
launch heights are a mess
PB and PL are shitty comeback mechanics
CB is wack
FSDC is kusoge

Literally none of those things are anywhere near as competitively damaging as break hold and break blow. PB and PL have to actually be landed, and it takes work to land them. BH was a crutch that made people worse at the game and BB did not take any work. BB was a fast anti-everything button and the only thing that could punish it presented either no threat (low jabs) or were super risky (yolo throwing at neutral) which is something you shouldn't have to do if you're supposedly winning.

Launch height being built around the stun system, at the very least, works with the CB mindgames consistently. And even if you just launched immediately, your juggle is doing a little less damage. That's fine as it adds benefit to playing the stun game, holds in DOA did a lot of damage so braving them should be rewarded. DOA 5 combos were also higher damage in general because the scaling wasn't so fucked, and getting 2-in-1's from slower characters to cut through the stun game balanced them out better against faster characters who are strictly OP in 6 due to the benefit of instant launching into bound combos.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD